We’re reader-supported and may be paid when you visit links to partner sites. We don’t compare all products in the market, but we’re working on it!
Important:Travel insurance rules continue to change as a result of the pandemic. Some information may not be accurate at this time. It’s even more important to double-check all details that matter to you before taking out cover. Please note:
- Some policies may not be available through Finder at this time
- It’s unlikely that your policy will cover expenses from border closures
Avant Travel Insurance covers both international and domestic travel, although domestic trips must be more than 100km from your home. Policies include cover for partners and dependent children at no extra charge, as well as unlimited travel during a 12-month period, for single trips of up to six months.
Compare your travel insurance quotes
Made a search before? Retrieve your search results
Type or Select your destination(s)
What does this policy cover?
Avant provides comprehensive travel insurance to members who are medical students, interns, doctors in training and medical practitioners. Key areas of cover include:
- Personal accident cover. Cover for injuries or illness due to temporary total disablement.
- Overseas medical expenses and emergency assistance. Unlimited cover for medical expenses and evacuation, including emergency assistance through AHI Assist.
- Additional expenses. Cover for additional expenses incurred due to unexpected death, injury or illness.
- Luggage. Cover for baggage, travellers’ cheques, travel documents & credit cards.
- Computers & electronic equipment. Protects students up to $3,500 and practitioners up to $7,500.
- Money. Protects students up to $500 and practitioners up to $2,000.
- Loss of deposits & cancellation charges. For students up to $10,000, practitioners up to $20,000.
- Kidnap, detention, extortion & ransom. For students up to $250,000, practitioners up to $1 million.
- Hire car excess expenses. For students up to $4,000, practitioners up to $5,000.
- Alternative employee expenses. Covers costs incurred in sending a substitute employee due to the death, illness or injury of the insured (students N/A, practitioners up to $10,000).
- Personal liability. Up to $5 million liability cover for both students and practitioners.
- Evacuation cover & personal safety. Covers overseas evacuation expenses due to a security threat or natural disaster up to $25,000 for both students and practitioners.
- Life insurance. Covers death due to illness up to $50,000 for both students and practitioners.
|Personal Accident – Death & Capital Benefits||$50,000|
|Overseas Medical Expenses And Emergency Assistance Company||Unlimited|
|Baggage, Travellers’ Cheques, Travel Documents & Credit Cards||$12,000|
|Computers And Electronic Equipment||$3,500|
|Loss Of Deposits And Cancellation Charges||$10,000|
|Kidnap, Detention, Extortion And Ransom||$250,000|
|Hire Car Excess Expenses||$4,000|
|Evacuation Cover And Personal Safety||$25,000|
Are there any additional benefits available to me?
As well as the benefits already listed, Avant Travel Insurance offers two additional benefits to its members:
- Rehabilitation expenses after temporary total disablement. Expenses incurred for tuition or advice from a licensed vocational school (up to $1,000 per month for a maximum of 6 months).
- Escalation of claim benefit for temporary total disablement. Compensation increases by 5% compound pa for a period of 12 months.
What is excluded from my policy cover?
Exclusions where Avant Travel Insurance will not provide cover include:
- Training for professional sports of any kind
- Undisclosed or uninsured pre-existing medical conditions
- Travelling against the advice of a GP or while unfit for travel
- Travelling despite prior warning of possible trip disruptions
- Carrier-caused delays where expenses are recoverable from the carrier
- Disruptions caused by business or financial contractual obligations
- Disinclination to travel or change of plans by the insured
- Cancellation by a tour operator due to insufficient bookings
- Wear and tear, deterioration or losses due to climatic conditions, mechanical or electrical breakdown, insects, vermin or cleaning, repairing, restoring or alteration
- Losses or thefts not reported to the relevant authorities within 24 hours
- Money losses not reported as soon as possible after discovery
- Loss or damage to unaccompanied baggage, unless with a carrier
- Loss or damage of goods over $5,000 intended for use in connection with any trade, business or occupation
- Theft of laptops, cameras and electronic equipment left unattended, unless securely locked in a building or motor vehicle
- Loss or damage due to confiscation by authorities
- Any item where costs are recoverable from another source
- Death of a relative with a known short life span due to illness
- Operation of a rental vehicle in breach of the provisions of the hiring agreement
- Travelling to a country where a travel warning has been issued
- Engaging in air travel, except as a passenger in a licensed aircraft
- Deliberately self-inflicted injuries including suicide or attempted suicide
- War, invasion, rebellion, revolution or insurrection
- Nuclear-related events
- Sexually transmitted diseases, AIDS and HIV infections
- Engaging in naval, military or air force service or operations
- Criminal or illegal acts committed by the insured
How do I make a claim?
Members needing to make a claim on their Avant Travel Insurance should follow these steps:
- Notify Avant as soon as possible of your intention to claim or if overseas in an emergency, notify AHI Assist
- Download and complete the claim form
- Email the claim form along with any required supporting documentation (such as police reports, medical reports, receipts etc) to email@example.com
- Your claim will then be processed by a dedicated AHI claims assessor and you will be kept updated on its progress and advised if any additional information is required
Q: How do I register for free travel insurance from Avant?
- A: You can log in via the members page on the Avant Travel Insurance website or call member services during business hours on 1800 128 268.
Q: How much does it cost to include my family on my Avant Travel Insurance?
- A: Nothing. Your family members are automatically covered at no extra charge. Family is defined as your spouse, partner or de facto and any unmarried children, stepchildren or legally adopted children who are living with you and are primarily dependent on you for maintenance and support.
Q: Can a family member travel without me and still be covered?
- A: Yes, they will still be covered, providing they are on an outgoing or incoming journey to join or leave you.
Q: What countries are covered?
- A: Any country in the world, although war and related situations are not covered, which means you won’t have cover in countries such as Iraq and Afghanistan. Cover for kidnap, ransom, extortion and detention is limited to $250,000 in Central or South America and Mexico.
Q: What is the maximum length of a single trip?
- A: Six months.
Q: When should I register for Avant Travel Insurance?
- A: As soon as you have booked your trip, so that you have immediate coverage for cancellations and lost deposits.
Q: What is the maximum age limit for cover?
- A: Up to 85 years old, except for life insurance, which is up to 65 years old.
Q: How many excesses does Avant Travel Insurance have?
- A There is an excess of $250 for each claim made under all sections of the policy.
Q: What electronic equipment is covered?
- A: A wide range including mobile phones, laptops, tablets, cameras, camera equipment and accessories.
Q: How much is cover for sports, snow sports and leisure activities?
- A: Unlike most other insurers, at Avant these are included in your cover, providing you are not involved in professional sports of any kind.
Q: Am I covered for pregnancy and pregnancy-related expenses?
- A: Yes Avant Travel Insurance does not exclude pregnancy, but Avant only cover unexpected emergency complications and no life insurance benefits are payable.
Q: Is my Avant Travel Insurance renewable?
- A: As it is provided free to our members, you will need to register for each and every trip.
More guides on Finder
Finder Daily Deals: The 7 best deals in Australia today
Today's best online deals include: 80% off Memory Foam Mattresses, $215 off Bose QuietComfort headphones, 80% off FitSmart fitness trackers.
Border closures travel cancellations: Can you get a refund?
When lockdowns strike, what are your options - and will your insurance help?
7 health insurance deals to save you money at tax time
Avoid the MLS tax and get a rebate by taking out health insurance. Here are 7 deals that’ll save you money on your tax returns.
Stuck with Virgin or Qantas credits? How to take action
With snap border closures continuing to halt the travel plans of many in Australia, we asked seven Finder staff what they’re doing with their travel credits.
New Zealand travel bubble: Should I get travel insurance?
A quarantine-free travel bubble will allow Aussies to travel from 19 April. Before you book, here's what travel insurance will and won't cover you for.
Citi Rewards Card – Bonus Points Offer
Earn flexible rewards points as you spend and enjoy a big 100,000 bonus points offer with the Citi Rewards Credit Card.
Citi Rewards Card – Velocity Points Offer
Get 100,000 bonus Velocity Points when you meet the spend requirement, a reduced first-year annual fee and Citi Rewards points per $1 spent with the Citi Rewards Card.
Home office insurance
We talk you through how to get home office insurance.
American Express Velocity Business Card
The American Express Velocity Business Card earns points per $1 spent and offers complimentary travel insurance and two complimentary Virgin Australia lounge passes each year.
Power outage? Food spoilage insurance
How home insurance can cover you for food spoilage and save you hundreds on wasted food.
Ask an Expert