Founded in New Zealand in 1982, this travel insurance specialist provides cover to travellers from Australia and New Zealand, with travel insurance options including medical and evacuation cover, worldwide emergency assistance and automatically included cruise.
Compare travel insurance quotes from 20+ brands
Made a search before? Retrieve your search results
Type or Select your destination(s)
What policies can I choose from with Southern Cross
Further to this, if you're travelling as a family, benefit limits are doubled and your kids may be eligible for free cover.
Southern Cross travel insurance review of policy benefits
Review the policy benefits so you can see if SCTI can provide the right cover for you.
|Benefit||Cover for Individuals||Cover for Families|
|Medical and evacuation||Unlimited||Unlimited|
|Cancelling/changing your trip before you leave||$2,500||$5,000|
|Changes after you have departed||$50,000||$100,000|
|Baggage and personal items||$25,000||$50,000|
|Travel documents and passports||$1,000||$2,000|
|Rental vehicle excess||$5,000||$5,000|
How much excess will I be charged?
SCTI's policies default to a $100 excess, however you can choose to pay slightly more for $0 excess or slightly less for $250 excess.
For example, we did a test quote for a seven-night trip to New Zealand for a 30 year old traveller to see what the difference would be. Here's what we found:
*Quote retrieved on 15 June 2019 for a trip from 16-22 June 2019.
The excess charge only applies once per unexpected event.
Excesses aren't deducted for claims applying to funerals and return of remains, personal accidents, personal liability and rental vehicles.
Optional extras with SCTI
For more flexibility, Southern Cross Travel Insurance give you the option to add extra cover onto your policy. This can be done after you select your level of cover.
- Taking any valuables? Under the Baggage and Personal Items benefit, you will have sub-limits for items such as jewellery and electronics (including cameras). If the value of the item that you're taking on your trip exceeds these amounts, you might want to get extra cover.
- Going skiing or snowboarding? Get additional cover to be protected for gear damage or the medical expenses incurred if you injure yourself on the slopes. You'll need to wear a helmet or you might void your policy.
- Riding a moped or motorbike? Get additional cover to protect yourself and your bike in case the unexpected happens. SCTI will only cover incidents involving bikes under 200cc.
Southern Cross cruise travel insurance
SCTI includes cruise cover in their policies at no additional costs, however just be mindful that this it is cover for medical expenses and evacuation only.
Top tips for cruise travel insurance from SCTI
- Make sure you declare all the countries that you will visit on the cruise, along with all the other countries you might visit while on land.
- If you plan on engaging in water sports such as snorkeling or kayaking, double check your PDS to make sure you're covered for these activities. A list of excluded activities can be found on page 36 of the PDS.
- Buy your insurance early to cover you for cancellations prior to departure.
We can also help you look for more specific cruise travel insurance if you need cover for things such as missed shore excursion and port connections.
What won't be covered under my policy?
Southern Cross Travel Insurance will not provide any cover (except funeral/return of remains expenses) in the following situations:
- If your claim arises due to a pre-existing condition that is not covered by your policy
- If your claim arises due to a sexually transmitted infection (excluding covered conditions relating to HIV)
- Pregnancy after the 20th week
- If you travel against medical advice
- If your claim relates to most elective or cosmetic procedures
- If your claim arises because of being under the influence of alcohol, solvents or any other illegal drug
- If you go hitchhiking or give a hitchhiker a lif
- If you engage in any unlawful activity
- If your claim is for loss of enjoyment
- If you participate in any professional or contact sport, motorsport, hunting, abseiling or paragliding
- If you work while overseas (except to attend a conference, trade fair, training course, business meeting or complete office-based work)
- If you travel to a country for which the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade has issued a "Do not travel" or "Reconsider your need to travel" advisory
- If you intentionally or recklessly put yourself in harm's way
Read Southern Cross Travel Insurance's product disclosure statement for a full list of situations that won't be covered.
How to claim and contact SCTI
Claims and contact details
Emergency contact details: +61 2 9191 1180
Making a claim online: Start your claim process online and received a claim number; https://www.scti.com.au/claims/make-a-claim/
General phone enquiries: 1800 196 484
General email enquiries: email@example.com