Southern Cross Travel Insurance
Travel with peace of mind. Get comprehensive cover with Southern Cross Travel Insurance.
We’re reader-supported and may be paid when you visit links to partner sites. We don’t compare all products in the market, but we’re working on it!
Important:Travel insurance rules continue to change as a result of the coronavirus pandemic. We’re working hard to keep up and make sure our guides are up to date, however some information may not be accurate during the pandemic. It’s even more important to double-check all details that matter to you before taking out cover. Please know that some policies may not be available through Finder at this time. Here are some helpful tips:
- If you're buying a policy today, it's unlikely that you'll be covered for any coronavirus-related claims
- If your travel plans go against government advice, your policy will most likely be voided and you won't be covered
Southern Cross Travel Insurance (SCTI) offers cover to travellers from Australia and New Zealand. Its comprehensive policies include cover for international and domestic travel, as well as international cruises.
Get a quote from Southern Cross Travel Insurance
What policies are available with Southern Cross Travel Insurance?
Southern Cross offers three travel insurance policies. These are:
Domestic Travel Insurance
This covers you for all the important things you generally get protected for when you travel except you don't need to get cover for medical care because thanks to Medicare, you don't need it. A domestic policy can cover you for cancelling or changing your travel plans, luggage and personal items, pet care and childcare costs if you're delayed getting home, personal accident and more.
Overseas Single Trip
Comprehensive cover for international travel for up to 12 months. This includes medical and evacuation, cancelling or changing your journey, baggage, rental car excess cover and more. It also provides automatic cover if you're travelling overseas on a cruise ship. This policy doesn't cover you if you're travelling on a domestic-only cruise.
Overseas Annual Multi-Trip
This is designed for those who travel a few times within a year who are looking for comprehensive cover. You can choose a maximum trip duration of 30, 60 or 90 days and get cover for all the same benefits as the single trip policy, except you don't need to worry about buying multiple policies throughout the year.
Southern Cross Travel Insurance review of policy benefits
Here are some of the main policy benefits to help you find out if SCTI can provide the right cover for you.
|Domestic travel||Overseas travel - Individual||Overseas travel - Family|
|Medical and evacuation||Unlimited||Unlimited|
|Cancelling or changing your journey before you leave||Unlimited|
|Changes to your journey once you have left||$50,000||$50,000||$100,000|
|Baggage and personal items||$15,000||$25,000||$50,000|
|Cash, bank cards, travel documents and passports||$1,000||$2,000|
|Rental vehicle excess||$6,000||$5,000||$5,000|
|Cash allowance whilst in hospital (to help cover extra costs like parking fees)||$3,000||$3,000||$3,000|
Domestic travel insurance also provides cover for an "accompanying person" (for example, to have a loved one travel to be with you while you're in hospital), pet services and childcare expenses.
Optional extras with Southern Cross Travel Insurance
For more flexibility, Southern Cross Travel Insurance gives you the option to add extra cover onto your policy. This can be done after you select your level of cover.
- Taking any valuables? Under the Baggage and Personal Items benefit, you will have sub-limits for items such as jewellery and electronics (including cameras). If the value of the item that you're taking on your trip exceeds these amounts, you might want to get specified items cover. This is for personal items which are valued at more than $1,500. You can pay an additional premium for them to be listed on your Certificate of Insurance.
- Going skiing or snowboarding while overseas? Get additional cover to be protected for gear damage or the medical expenses incurred if you injure yourself on the slopes. You'll need to wear a helmet or you might void your policy.
- Riding a moped or motorbike while overseas? Get additional cover to protect yourself and your bike in case the unexpected happens. SCTI will only cover incidents involving bikes under 200cc.
Southern Cross Travel Insurance for cruising
SCTI includes cruise cover in its overseas travel policies at no additional costs. However, just be mindful that if you fall ill while the cruise ship is in Australian waters, you'll need to seek treatment through Medicare or your private health insurance. You can make a claim under your overseas travel policy for any costs that are not covered.
Top tips for cruise travel insurance from SCTI:
- Make sure you declare all the countries that you will visit on the cruise, along with all the other countries you might visit while on land.
- If you plan on engaging in water sports such as snorkelling or kayaking, double-check your product disclosure statement (PDS) to make sure you're covered for these activities. A list of excluded activities can be found on page 36 of the PDS.
- Buy your insurance early to cover you for cancellations prior to departure.
What won't be covered under my policy?
Southern Cross Travel Insurance will not generally provide any cover in the following situations:
- If your claim arises due to a pre-existing condition that is not covered by your policy
- If your claim arises due to a sexually transmitted infection (excluding covered conditions relating to HIV)
- Pregnancy after the 20th week
- If you travel against medical advice
- If your claim relates to most elective or cosmetic procedures
- If your claim arises because of being under the influence of alcohol, solvents or any other illegal drug
- If you go hitchhiking
- If you engage in any unlawful activity
- If your claim is for loss of enjoyment
- If you participate in any professional or contact sport, motorsport, hunting, abseiling or paragliding
- If you intentionally or recklessly put yourself in harm's way
Read Southern Cross Travel Insurance's PDS for a full list of situations that won't be covered.
Southern Cross Travel Insurance frequently asked questions
More guides on Finder
Southern Cross Travel Insurance promo code and discounts
Check out our coupon codes for Southern Cross Travel Insurance. You can conveniently plan your next trip's coverage for as little as $15.
Ask an Expert