Compare Southern Cross Travel Insurance policies and find out why it's so popular in Australia and New Zealand.
Compare travel insurance quotes from 20+ brands
Made a search before? Retrieve your search results
Type or Select your destination(s)
Find out more about SCTI
What policies can I choose from?
Southern Cross Travel Insurance offers its TravelCare insurance policy in two forms:
- Single Trip. Covering individual return trips up to 12 months in duration, the TravelCare Single Trip policy provides unlimited cover for your overseas medical and hospital expenses, including evacuation back to Australia. It also provides a comprehensive range of additional benefits to protect against a wide range of risks, including travel interruption, loss of baggage and personal items, baggage delay, stolen cash, personal accident protection, rental vehicle excess cover and more.
- Annual Multi-Trip. Designed for travellers who take two or more overseas trips per year, the TravelCare Annual Multi-Trip policy provides cover for all the trips you take during a 12-month period. With all the same benefits as the Single Trip policy, this option covers individual return trips up to a maximum duration of 30, 60 or 90 days depending on which option you choose.
The following are some of the included highlights in Southern Cross Travel Insurance policies. For more details, to see all inclusions and exclusions and where conditions apply, refer to the PDS.
- Medical expenses and evacuation so you can be reimbursed for unexpected medical expenses during your journey. Medical evacuation is also covered if you need to be repatriated to Australia.
- Emergency dental treatment needed for relief of acute dental pain.
- Cash allowance while in hospital to help you cover necessary expenses.
- Extra travel and accommodation costs incurred if you are medically unable to travel.
- A visitor's travel, accommodation and meal costs if you are hospitalised for at least 10 days while travelling alone, so someone can come and stay with you.
- Funeral expenses or the return of an insured person's mortal remains to Australia.
Cancellations or changes to your journey (before you leave)
- Cancellation and alternate plans cover for additional costs incurred or unused pre-paid costs if you need to change the dates or cancel your plans before leaving Australia, for example due to an unexpected illness.
Cancellations or changes to your journey (after you leave)
- Cover towards additional costs due to delays in your journey of at least 12 hours (i.e. a missed flight home requires you to stay in a destination longer and you require an extra night's accommodation).
- Cover towards disruptions in your journey lasting 12 hours or more (i.e. you miss a connecting flight and need to book a new fare to your final destination).
- Emergency cover to get you back to Australia if there's been an unforeseen incident back home (i.e. a family member has been admitted to hospital).
- Special events cover when an event you're travelling for (i.e. a wedding or a concert) has been missed due to delays or an emergency.
Baggage, personal items, cash and travel documents
- Baggage and personal belongings cover for insured items that are lost, stolen and damaged items while travelling, including cover for lost or stolen cash.
- Baggage delay. If an airline misplaces your baggage for 12 hours or more, you can be reimbursed up to the relevant limits for the cost of buying essential items of clothing and personal effects until your bags catch up with you.
- If your essential bank cards, travel documents or passports are lost, stolen or damaged, SCTI can reimburse you for the cost of their replacement.
- Loss of income, if you are unable to work after returning home due to an injury sustained on your journey.
- Total permanent disablement, if an injury sustained on your journey has resulted in permanent disability.
- Loss of life, if you pass away unexpectedly (i.e. from an injury sustained on your trip) a payment will be made
- Personal liability insurance if you become legally liable for damages, compensation or legal expenses, if your negligence has led to a third party's bodily injury or property damage.
Rental vehicle excess
- If you hire a rental vehicle overseas and it is stolen or damaged on your journey, SCTI can reimburse you for the non-refundable excess payable to the rental company up to the relevant limits.
SCTI's policies default to a $100 excess, however you can choose to pay slightly more for $0 excess or slightly less for $250 excess.
For example, we did a test quote for a seven-night trip to New Zealand for a 30 year old traveller to see what the difference would be. Here's what we found:
Excess $0 $100 $250 Quote $47.52 $44.00 $39.60
*Quote retrieved on 23 September 2018 for a trip from 13-30 March 2019.
The excess charge only applies once per unexpected event. For example, if you're claiming $1,000 and have selected the $100 excess, you'll be covered for $9,900.
Excesses aren't deducted for claims applying to funerals and return of remains, personal accidents, personal liability and rental vehicles.Back to top
SCTI offers comprehensive cover to help make sure you won't be unexpectedly caught short by basic cover. Here are some key advantages to going with a Southern Cross policy:
- Automatically includes cruise cover and a range of sports/activities
- Option to add on extra cover for skiing and snowboarding, mopeds and motorbikes and valuable items
- Considers a range of pre-existing conditions, including heart-related illnesses and cancer
- 24 hour worldwide emergency assistance
- No maximum age limit on either Single Trip or Annual Multi-Trip policies
What won't be covered under my policy?
Southern Cross Travel Insurance will not provide any cover (except funeral/return of remains expenses) in the following situations:
- If your claim arises due to a pre-existing condition that is not covered by your policy
- If your claim arises due to a sexually transmitted infection (except covered conditions relating to HIV)
- Pregnancy after the 20th week
- If you travel against medical advice
- If your claim relates to most elective or cosmetic procedures
- If your claim arises because of being under the influence of alcohol, solvents or any other illegal drug
- If you go hitchhiking or give a hitchhiker a lif
- If you engage in any unlawful activity
- If your claim is for loss of enjoyment
- If you participate in any professional or contact sport, motorsport, hunting, abseiling or paragliding
- If you work while overseas (except to attend a conference, trade fair, training course, business meeting or complete office-based work)
- If you travel to a country for which the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade has issued a “Do not travel” or “Reconsider your need to travel” advisory
- If you intentionally or recklessly put yourself in harm’s way
Read Southern Cross Travel Insurance’s product disclosure statement for a full list of situations that won’t be covered.
I want to extend my policy - is that possible?
Yes, you can contact SCTI to request an extension of your Single Trip policy but some conditions apply:
- You'll need to extend your policy before the original expiry date.
- Events that have occurred before the policy extension is issued may not be considered unexpected by the extended policy.
- You will need to let SCTI know reasons for the extension and where you plan to travel.
I want to amend my policy - can I do that?
- You can amend some features of your policy by contacting SCTI with your amendment details. An additional charge may apply and any changes must be made before your trip has started.
Some conditions, such as acne, asthma, migraines and hay-fever, are often covered automatically, while other pre-existing medical conditions are covered on a case-by-case basis upon completion of an online medical assessment.
Some pre-existing medical conditions are only covered if you pay a premium.
You'll have the option to apply for cover for specified items up to $1,500, but if you'd like cover for more expensive items (up to $10,000 per item capped at $15,000 per journey) you'll need to pay an additional premium.
The premium will cover:
- $2,500 maximum for unspecified jewellery/watches
- $3,000 per item maximum for unspecified laptops/tablets/personal computers
- $1,500 per item maximum for other unspecified items per journey
Southern Cross Travel Insurance provides the following cover for "specified items." These may valued at the lesser of either the value you provide, or the amount that SCTI has independently valued them at.
- $10,000 maximum payment per item
- $15,000 maximum total paid for all specified items per journey
What evidence will be required for specified items in a claim?
- Original receipt dated within 12 months from when item was specified for cover or
- Original receipt as proof of ownership and valuation dated within 12 months from when item was covered
- Documentation showing items specified on contents insurance policy dated within 12 months that item was specified.
How do I contact SCTI?
If you need emergency assistance while overseas, you can contact the insurer’s emergency assistance hotline on +61 2 9191 1180. This line is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
You can also get in touch with Southern Cross using the following methods:
- Phone 1800 196 484 from 8:30am to 5pm Monday to Friday AEST
- Email email@example.com
You can lodge a claim at any time through the Southern Cross Travel Insurance online claims portal. All you need to do is follow a few simple steps:
- Enter your policy number, date of birth, last name and email address
- Provide details of the incident and the costs you are claiming
- Post supporting documents for your claim to Southern Cross Travel Insurance
You’ll need to submit your claim as soon as possible after the event giving rise to the claim to ensure that it is processed as quickly as possible.
How to get a quote
If you’d like to get a Southern Cross Travel Insurance quote for your next trip, use the finder.com.au quote engine at the top of this page and follow these directions:
- Select Single Trip or Annual Multi-Trip cover
- Select your destination
- Enter your travel dates
- Enter your age and the ages of any other travellers you want to cover
- Click “Get quote now”
You’ll then be presented with a quote from Southern Cross Travel Insurance based on your trip details. You can review the cost of cover and the benefits included in the policy and, if you're happy with it, you can click the green “Go to site” button to be securely redirected to the Southern Cross Travel Insurance website to apply.
- An APRA and ASIC regulated general insurer, SCTI insures hundreds of thousands of travellers.
- SCTI is a member of the Financial Ombudsman Service, the Insurance Council of Australia and a signatory to the Australian General Insurance Code of Practice.
What's next?*Price displayed is for Single Trip NZ/South Pacific policy, with 2 days Individual cover for ages 18-54. Please note it does not include any specified items or surcharges for pre-existing medical conditions