CoverMore Travel Insurance
CoverMore travel insurance lets you earn 3 Virgin Velocity points for every $1 spent on a policy.
With 25 years of experience and over 10 million travellers covered, Cover-More offers an extensive range of cover options to meet the needs of many different travelers. On top of that, CoverMore are one of the few Australian insurers that offers some cover for mental health conditions. We've done the research and compared policies to make your decision making easier when it comes to travel insurance.
Compare Cover-More travel insurance policies
Summary of CoverMore's International Premium policy
|Overseas Medical and Hospital Expenses||Unlimited|
|Cancellation and Amendment Fees||Cover chosen|
|Luggage and Personal Effects||$15,000|
|Maximum Age Limit||84|
Table updated February 2020
CoverMore travel insurance review and policy benefits
Compare CoverMore policies side by side to decide which policy is best for your trip.
|Benefit||International Premium||International Medical Only||Domestic||Domestic Cancellation||Inbound|
|Additional Expenses||Unlimited||Unlimited||$10,000||Cover chosen||Cover chosen|
|Amendments or cancellation costs||Cover chosen||$10,000||Cover chosen||Cover chosen|
|Delayed luggage allowance||$750||$200|
|Loss of income||$10,400||$1,500|
|Luggage and travel documents||$15,000||$3,000||$3,000|
|Medical and dental expenses||$1,000,000|
|Overseas medical and dental||Unlimited||Unlimited||$10,000,000|
|Rental car insurance excess||$6,000||$4,000|
|Resumption of journey||$3,000|
*Table last updated 25th July 2019Back to top
Policies Available from CoverMore
CoverMore offer 6 different policies for your trips abroad or at home.
Offers comprehensive international travel cover to provide ultimate peace of mind when you head out to explore the world.
International Medical Only
Provides financial assistance if you suffer an injury or illness while overseas. It aims to offer affordable protection for those travellers who only want cover for the bare essentials.
Annual Multi Trip
For trips of 30, 45 or 60 days at a time. This policy gives you 12 months of cover and provides the same level of cover as a premium policy.
Comprehensive cover for trips within Australia
Domestic Cancellation Only
Provides protection against the loss of pre-paid deposits and cancellation fees when unexpected circumstances beyond your control
Designed to offer cover for non-Australian residents travelling to and within Australia. This policy is available for those up to 69 years old.
Additional cover options
Cover-More understands that no two travellers needs are the same and have a number of additional cover options available to let you tailor your policy closer to your needs.
- Increase cover for luggage. If you are taking high-value items with you on your trip that fall outside the default value threshold offered on the place you are considering, you can apply to register these items to ensure adequate cover is in place. For an additional premium loading, you can increase your cover for luggage and personal items to a limit of $4,500. It is worth noting that in the event of a claim, Cover-More will require proof of purchase documentation. This may be in the form of a receipt or valuation document.
- Car hire excess. If you are planning to hire a car overseas, you may want to take out additional car hire excess to avoid a hefty bill from the rental company in the event of an accident.
- Hitting the slopes? You might want cover for skiing, snowboarding and snowmobiling. If you are planning a vacation to the snow, you may want to take out additional cover for on-piste skiing to ensure you are covered in the event of injury. It is worth noting that Cover-More Travel Insurance will only provide cover for incidents that occur on-piste and there is no cover for racing or professional winter sports.
- Cover for motorcycle and moped accidents. If you are looking to hire a motorcycle or moped on your travels, you will need to take out additional cover, as it is not provided as a standard benefit on Cover-More’s policies. This option can provide cover even if you are the passenger on a motorcycle or moped. Some general conditions of this cover option:
- Motorcycle must have a maximum engine capacity of 200cc
- You must be wearing a helmet if involved in an accident
- You must hold a valid Australian motorcycle license. If you are a passenger on a motorcycle and involved in an accident, the driver must hold an approved license
Looking for Cancel-for-any-reason (CFAR) cover?
- It's only available through certain travel agents such as Flight Centre - it's not even offered directly through CoverMore
- There's a limit to how much you can get cover for
- You need to buy cover with the add-on within a certain time frame of booking your trip
- You need to cancel your trip at least 48 hours before you're supposed to depart
Can I get CoverMore travel insurance for seniors?
Yes, CoverMore has overall higher age limits than other travel insurers. If you're older than the ages below, you might still be able to get cover by calling them directly. Other limits might apply depending on your individual circumstances.
|Premium policy||Medical only policy||Domestic policy||Annual multi-trip policy|
|Age limit||Up to 84 years||Up to 84 years||Up to 99 years||Up to 74 years|
|Maximum trip duration||Not stated||Not stated||Not stated||Up to 60 days per journey|
|Cover for overseas medical?||Unlimited||Unlimited||Unlimited|
|Cover for pre-existing conditions?|
|Cover for cruising?||Optional add-on||Optional add-on||Optional add-on||Optional add-on|
Cover-More's travel GP services
If you’re overseas and you need expert medical advice, Cover-More can put you in touch with an Australian doctor through its Travel GP Service. An Australian first for travel insurers, this service allows you to consult an Australian doctor for expert medical advice tailored to your situation.
You can contact the service 24 hours a day, seven days a week from anywhere in the world. This can be very handy when you are in a foreign country and you don’t understand the local medical system, let alone speak the language.
A Travel GP can perform a medical consultation over the phone to discuss your health situation and give you the expert medical advice you need - in English. This leaves you free to get back to enjoying your trip as quickly as possible.
Alternatively, if you need to see a doctor on the ground, Cover-More can refer you to an appropriate medical facility close to your location.
CoverMore travel insurance claim and contact details
Claims and contact details
Emergency contact details: +612 8907 5619
Making a claim online: Visit claims.covermore.com.au and follow the prompts
Making a claim via post: Download, print and complete a claims form from claims.covermore.com.au. Send to; Cover-More Traevl Insurance Claims Department Private Bag 913 North Sydney, NSW, 2059, Australia
How do I apply for CoverMore Travel Insurance
If you are interested in taking out one of the travel insurance policies on offer from Cover-More, you can follow the secure links through to the Cover-More website and begin your application. Quotes can be received and cover put in place entirely online provided you do not have any pre-existing medical conditions. It is crucial to read through the product disclosure statement prior to purchasing your policy to have a clear understanding on exactly what is and what is not covered under your policy.
Some final questions you might have about Cover-More
Read more on this topic
What the "do not travel" advice means for you and your travel insurance Got an overseas trip booked? Read this.
Coronavirus exposes little-known travel insurance clause We analysed 32 travel insurance policies to see what's really covered.
3 travel insurance tips to help ease coronavirus woes Unless you bought travel insurance before January, you won't be covered for the coronavirus. But there may be other ways you can protect your pocket.
Coronavirus and travel insurance: All your questions answered Here's how travel insurers are responding to the pandemic.
Pelikin Travel Insurance Get the Pelikin app and keep all your travel essentials in one place.
Be prepared for Typhoon Kammuri with your travel insurance Find out how your travel insurance could be impacted by Typhoon Kammuri in the Philippines.
Am I covered by insurance if my travel company goes bust? How to find out if your travel insurance actually protects you.
Aussie tourists robbed in Bali but the thieves aren't who you'd think Aussie tourists robbed in Bali but the thieves aren't who you'd think.
British Airways pilots plan to strike Strikes to take place on three separate occasions throughout September. Will your travel insurance cover you?
Hong Kong airport suspends flights again Ongoing protests at Hong Kong airport ground flights.
Ask an Expert