Sports travel insurance

Find comprehensive travel insurance for different sports and adventure activities to ensure you're covered.


A holiday is a great time to try relax and have fun but it's important that you are protected, you know, just in case you have too much fun. If you plan on engaging in sporting activities while you're travelling, you need to have a sports travel insurance policy in place. With this type of insurance you can go on your next adventure holiday safe with knowledge that if something happens to you, your insurer will cover your costs.

Whether you’re worried about getting injured, or the loss or damage of your sporting equipment, sports travel insurance is a great option that allows you to enjoy your sporting activities, knowing that you’re covered.

Compare adventure sport travel insurance cover and access exclusive coupons

Made a search before? Retrieve your search results

At least one destination is required
Both dates are required
Add more travellers
Enter the age of each traveller between 0 and 99

Enter a valid email address

At least one destination is required
Starting date is required
Add more travellers
Enter the age of each traveller between 0 and 99

Enter a valid email address

Type or Select your destination(s)

Popular Destinations

Can't find your destination? Just type it in the box above.

We compare products from

By submitting this form, you agree to the Privacy & Cookies Policy and Terms of Use, Disclaimer & Privacy Policy.

What sports does travel insurance typically cover?

There are various sports travel insurance policies available, so it’s important to double-check the details of your policy before you commit. If your insurer does not cover the sport you intended to play, they still may provide you with cover for an additional premium. Here is a list of typical sports that may be covered, depending on the brand that you choose:

  • Abseiling
  • Athletics
  • American football
  • Archaeological digs
  • Archery
  • Badminton
  • Base jumping
  • Baseball
  • Basketball
  • Bicycling
  • BMX
  • Bobsleighing
  • Boxing
  • Bungee jumping
  • Cricket
  • Dancing
  • Diving
  • Fishing
  • Flying fox
  • Expeditions
  • Go karting
  • Golf
  • Hockey
  • Hot air ballooning
  • Jet skiing
  • Jogging
  • Kayaking
  • Marathon
  • Martial arts
  • Mountain biking
  • Netball
  • Paintballing
  • Parasailing
  • Polo
  • Rafting
  • Reenactments
  • Riding animals (horses, elephants, ostriches)
  • Rock climbing
  • Rowing
  • Rugby
  • Safari tours
  • Scuba diving
  • Skiing
  • Snowboarding
  • Soccer
  • Squash
  • Surfing
  • Swimming
  • Tobogganing
  • Triathlons
  • Volleyball
  • Waterskiing
  • Weightlifting
  • Wrestling
  • Zorbing.

Is it possible to get travel insurance for sports teams?

Yes. There are a number of travel insurance brands that are able to organise group travel insurance for sports teams heading off on a domestic or overseas sports tour. Generally, a representative of the group will need to fill out a group travel insurance application form from the insurers website listing each of the group members details including:

  • Their full name and title
  • Their date of birth
  • Any sports or hazardous activities the group will be participating in
  • Details of any pre-existing medical conditions that different members of the group have

After receiving the groups details, the insurance provider will review the information and provide a quote to cover the group in the days that follow.

How big can the group be?

Some insurance companies can provide cover for up to 40 people under one group policy.

Is it possible to get cover for professional sports teams?

Unfortunately, professional sport is excluded from cover by most Australian insurance brands. You may need to purchase cover with a specialist insurer that covers professional sports teams.

Can I get cover for participation in amateur sports?

Most travel insurance policies will provide cover for your participation in a wide range of amateur sports during your trip. Regardless of whether you’re having a game of backyard cricket match, taking the field for a friendly soccer match or even participating in a school sporting fixture, chances are you’ll be covered for any unexpected expenses that may arise.

For example, if you trip and break your ankle while playing soccer, your insurer will provide cover for the cost of the medical treatment you receive, including any surgical costs. But if you’re participating in a sport in a professional or paid capacity, don’t expect to receive any cover.

Some of the amateur sports commonly covered by travel insurance policies include:

  • Abseiling
  • Athletics
  • Badminton
  • Baseball
  • Boogie boarding
  • Canoeing
  • Cricket
  • Cycling / mountain biking
  • Fishing
  • Horse riding
  • Netball
  • Racquet sports
  • Snorkelling
  • Soccer
  • Scuba diving

However, when it comes to your travel insurance policy, never assume that the sport you want to participate in will be automatically covered. Read the fine print in the product disclosure statement (PDS) so that you can be certain you will receive the financial protection you need.

It’s also worth pointing out that some sports and adventure activities will require you to purchase an additional cover ‘pack’ for an additional premium. This can include Golf Cover, Winter Sports Cover and Adventure Activities Cover.

What are the risks of not having sports travel insurance?

Not having sports travel insurance can turn a great trip into a nightmare, especially where sports are concerned. Principally, sports and adventure activities pose a larger risk of physical injury than simple sightseeing. If you are injured without sport travel insurance you will have to pay the medical bills yourself, which depending on where you are travelling, can be very expensive. If you are taking part in adventure activities such as rock climbing, which generally take place in remote areas, the costs associated with your medical help, rescue and recovery can be extremely high. Additionally, sports travel insurance will cover your adventure gear if it is damaged.

You also need to keep in mind that traditional travel insurance policies may not cover you for injuries suffered during certain activities, which is why you should consider taking out sports travel insurance even if you don’t intend on participating in physical activities on your holiday.

Back to top

What do I need to know before buying a sports travel insurance policy?

Every sports travel insurance policy is different. Keeping in mind that you should always double check the terms of your purchased policy, below is some information on what a typical policy may cover:

  • Emergency Medical Treatment: In terms of coverage, you should expect that a provider will cover you for medical treatment resulting from injury. This is probably the most relevant part of a sports travel insurance policy. Depending on the sport or activity you engage in, your insurer will provide you with cover for any injury you sustained while engaging in a previously approved sporting activity.
  • Emergency Rescue:Many providers cover the costs associated with an emergency rescue, which is particularly important if you will be in a remote area or in mountainous terrain. Damage to luggage and/or equipment is also usually covered.
  • Winter sports cover:Many insurance providers also cover skiers for lost ski passes and where extreme weather affects their option to add in common winter sports cover. Insurers generally provide coverage for a range of winter sports including:
    • Skiing
    • Snowboarding
    • Iceskating
    • Off-piste skiing
    • Ski equipment hire

Every winter sports policy has exclusions that are specific to that particular policy, which is why it's important to pay attention to the fine print. Don't just assume that cover provided by one insurer will be the same as another.

Back to top

Are there any general exclusions I should know about?

All policies have exclusion clauses that list specific situations when a claim will not be successful. For example, most policies will not cover policyholders for injuries sustained while under the influence of alcohol or illicit drugs. The same goes for people who are injured in situations where they are not taking reasonable care. Also, most sports travel insurance policies will not cover professionals who are paid to take part in the sport, those taking part in a race, or people engaging in an activity during their offseason.

Other exclusions include:

  1. Your claim happens as the direct result of:
    • Hunting
    • Sailing
    • Racing (other than on foot)
    • Playing polo
    • Rock climbing or mountaineering
    • Hang gliding or parachuting
  2. Your claim is the result of you willing diving underwater using an artificial breathing apparatus. The only possible exceptions to this are:
    • Your dive was supervised by a licensed instructor
    • You are licensed to dive in open water and said licence was issued in Australia
  3. Your claim is because of travel in any air supported means other than as a passenger in a licensed aircraft that is operated by a charter company or an airline.
  4. Your claim arises because of your use of a motorcycle if you do not currently hold an Australian motorcycle licence or you're being transported by a motorcycle that is being driven by someone who does not hold a current valid motorcycle licence.
Back to top

More adventure travel insurance tips

Other factors to consider before you choose a policy and embark on your trip include:

  • Check whether there are any governmental warnings about the country you plan on visiting. If there are, your policy may be void.
  • Scan all of your insurance documents before you go and keep an electronic copy in a convenient place. Also, make sure you have the contact details for your insurer with you at all times.
  • Send a copy of your policy to a friend or relative in case you are severely injured and they need to talk to the insurer on your behalf.
  • Let friends and family know your itinerary and when you will be checking in with them so that they will become aware if something goes wrong.
  • Find out whether you will have to pay your medical costs upfront and claim them back later or if the insurer will pay straightaway.
  • Decide whether you want a policy that will pay for your repatriation back to an Australian hospital if you don’t want to recover overseas.

Use comparison websites such as to the most suitable and affordable policy for your needs

Find low cost travel insurance from Australian providers

Hopefully, you now know the importance of finding a suitable sports travel insurance policy before you go on a trip where you will be taking part in sporting activities. Having the right policy gives you the freedom to fully enjoy your holiday knowing that you are completely covered if something goes wrong.

Compare sports travel insurance quotes

Picture: GettyImages

Was this content helpful to you? No  Yes
Back to top

Read more on this topic

Ask an Expert

You are about to post a question on

  • Do not enter personal information (eg. surname, phone number, bank details) as your question will be made public
  • is a financial comparison and information service, not a bank or product provider
  • We cannot provide you with personal advice or recommendations
  • Your answer might already be waiting – check previous questions below to see if yours has already been asked

Finder only provides general advice and factual information, so consider your own circumstances, or seek advice before you decide to act on our content. By submitting a question, you're accepting our Terms of Use, Disclaimer & Privacy Policy and Privacy & Cookies Policy.

12 Responses

  1. Default Gravatar
    KenJune 1, 2018

    Our son is travelling to and competing in extreme Barcelona in Barcelona Spain on 16/17th June 18 as a pro scooter ride.

    As there is prize money involved for podium finishers, we are looking for insurers that may offer cover for this event.

    ASA or Australian Scooter Association have been remarkably unable to assist.

    We look forward to hearing from you.


    • Avatarfinder Customer Care
      NikkiJune 1, 2018Staff

      Hi Ken,

      Thanks for leaving a question on our page.

      While we can provide you with general information, please note that we’re a product comparison website and we do not represent any company we feature on our site. We’re here to assist you in your buying decision process hence we cannot recommend product / service that is rightfully fit for you.

      This page will give you a list of insurance companies.
      This 3 providers cover scooter riding, Online Travel Insurance, TID, and World Care.

      Hope this helps. For any clarifications, feel free to message us again.


  2. Default Gravatar
    AngeJuly 15, 2017

    I typed in sporting insurance recommendations and nothing relating to sport is popping up in the search, it is all just average insurance, could you please send me a few companies that cover thaiboxing competitions?

    thank you

    • Default Gravatar
      DanielleJuly 16, 2017

      Hi Ange,

      Thank you for contacting finder. We are a comparison website and general information service, we’re more than happy to offer general advice.

      You may refer to this page for options that may suit your needs.

      I hope this helps.


  3. Default Gravatar
    markJuly 10, 2017

    looking for triathlon cover in china

    • Default Gravatar
      DanielleJuly 11, 2017

      Hi Mark,

      Thank you for contacting finder. We are a comparison website and general information service, we’re more than happy to offer general advice.

      You may refer to this page for options that may suit your needs. You may input the activity on the table and a customized list of options will populate.

      I hope this helps.


  4. Default Gravatar
    HelenMarch 8, 2017

    Does anyone insure me if I can’t actually participate in the event I’m travelling to because I’m injured before I leave Australia – but I’m still ok to travel?

    • Avatarfinder Customer Care
      ZubairMarch 9, 2017Staff

      Hi Helen,

      Thank you for your question. is a comparison service and we are not permitted to provide personalised financial or product advice.

      Terms and conditions vary between travel insurance brands when it comes to travel insurance for pre-existing medical conditions. However, in most cases, you will be covered for costs incurred as a result of a pre-existing condition unless your condition has been approved by the travel insurance brand prior to travel.


  5. Default Gravatar
    SimonMay 19, 2016

    Hi, do you know of any companies that cover for martial arts competition?

    • Avatarfinder Customer Care
      RichardMay 20, 2016Staff

      Hi Simon,

      Thanks for your question. is a comparison service and we are not permitted to make product recommendations. According to the InsureandGo website they can:
      “Provide extra cover for more extreme activities like martial arts training.”
      This may mean they could possible offer cover for competitions.

      I hope this was helpful,

  6. Default Gravatar
    SonikJune 21, 2015

    I’m looking for travel insurance that covers BASE jumping. Anyone have any leads?

    • Avatarfinder Customer Care
      RichardJune 22, 2015Staff

      Hi Sonik,

      Thanks for your question. Unfortunately I am unaware of any providers that are willing to include cover for BASE jumping.


Ask a question
Go to site