Budget Direct Travel Insurance
Budget Direct Travel Insurance review of policies. Compare options and save with the promo code.
Offering a variety of travel insurance policies, Budget Direct Travel Insurance has you covered whether you're travelling on a budget or after something more comprehensive.
Compare travel insurance policies from Budget Direct
Made a search before? Retrieve your search results
Type or Select your destination(s)
What policies are on offer?
Budget Direct offers five different policies to suit all travellers.
This is the highest form of cover that Budget Direct offer for overseas travel. It provides unlimited cover for things like medical expenses, cancellations and cutting your trip short.
Provides cover for almost the same benefits as a comprehensive policy but with reduced limits. Essentials excludes cover for hijacking, loss of income, pet cover and resumption of journey.
A basic level policy that offers cover for overseas medical expenses, additional expenses, luggage and personal liability.
For travel within Australia. Provides cover for things like cancellation fees, alternative travel plans and luggage loss. Medical cover is not included.
A great way to save money and time for those frequent travellers. Provides comprehensive cover for overseas and domestic trips.
Budget Direct travel insurance review of benefits
Compare Budget Direct travel insurance policies side by side to see which policy would be most suitable for your trip.
|Benefits||Comprehensive||Essentials||Last Minute||Domestic||Annual Multi-trip|
|Alternative transport expenses||$5,000||$2,500||$2,500||$5,000|
|Cancellation and amendment fees||Unlimited||$12,500||$10,000||Unlimited|
|Cutting your trip short||Unlimited||$12,500||$7,500||Unlimited|
|Delayed luggage allowance||$600||$400||$250||$600|
|Hospital cash allowance||$75 per completed 24 hours up to $2,500||$75 per completed 24 hours up to $1,000||$75 per completed 24 hours up to $2,500|
|Loss of income||$10,400||$10,400|
|Luggage and personal effects*||$7,500||$5,000||$2,500||$5,000||$7,500|
|Overseas medical and hospital expenses||Unlimited||Unlimited||Unlimited||Unlimited|
|Rental vehicle insurance excess||$6,000||$4,000||$4,000||$6,000|
|Resumption of journey||$3,000||$3,000|
|Travel delay expenses||$100 per completed 12 hours up to $2,000||$50 per completed 12 hours up to $1,000||$50 per completed 12 hours up to $1,000||$100 per completed 12 hours up to $2,000|
|Travel documents, credit cards and||$5,000||$2,500||$5,000|
*Conditions such as variable claim limits apply. Table last updated 26th July 2019
Finder's favourite features about Budget Direct Travel Insurance
- Couples cover. Get a group discount if you're travelling as a twosome (or moresome).
- Cruise cover. All four international policies cover cruise as standard rather than as an add-on.
- Multi-policy discounts. If you have other policies with Budget Direct, you can save 20% on your travel insurance.
Are there any policy add-ons?
One of the major perks of taking out international travel insurance with Budget Direct is that you won't need to buy extra cover if you're heading on a cruise. However, there are a few additional cover options that come for an added price:
- Pre-existing medical conditions. Budget Direct cover up to 27 pre-existing medical conditions such as epilepsy, diabetes and acne, however you will need to pay a bit extra for cover. If your condition is not listed, Budget Direct may not pay any claims related to your condition.
- Snow Sports Cover. If you're planning on hitting the slopes at any stage during your trip, you might want to look at the snow sports cover, which protects you from the costs of piste closure, damage to your ski gear, avalanche cover and more.
- Additional Specified Items Cover. If you're travelling with an item that costs more than single item limit of your Budget Direct policy, you can select the additional specified items cover, which can protect items up to a maximum value of $4,000.
- Excess reduction. Budget Direct has three excess options: $200, $100 and $0 excess. If you don't want to pay as much for your policy upfront, you can select the $200 option but pay more at claim time or vice versa select the $0 option and pay more for your policy but nothing come claim time.
Is cover from Budget Direct expensive?
How much you'll pay for cover will depend on a few variables such as your age, where you're going, for how long and what activities you're planning on doing while you're there. Since there are so many variables it's hard to say whether one provider is more or less expensive than the other.
However, after completing a range of dummy quotes for different destinations, both the Essential and Last Minute policies from Budget Direct consistently cost less than the average policy in the results from the Finder Travel Insurance comparison tool.
And while the Budget Direct Comprehensive Travel insurance might cost slightly more than the average policy, it consistently ranks as one of the most comprehensive policies according to the Finder Rating. You're also getting a lot less bang for your buck. The Last Minute option only covers 4 of the 18 items covered by the Comprehensive policy, meaning that while you're saving 32% in monetary terms, you're losing about 78% of the cover provided by the premium option.
You're also getting a lot less bang for your buck. The Last Minute option only covers 4 of the 18 items covered by the Comprehensive policy, meaning that while you're saving 32% in monetary terms, you're losing about 78% of the cover provided by the premium option.
How can I save on Budget Direct travel insurance?
Looking to save money travel insurance? Here are some ways to cut costs with Budget Direct:
- Opt for a lower level of cover. If cost is all you're concerned about you can choose the Last Minute Travel Insurance option, though as I previously stated it doesn't represent great value for money.
- Use a Budget Direct Travel Insurance promo code. If you're after a discount on your travel insurance from Budget Direct, there are always promo codes floating around on the Internet. Check out the latest codes on Finder.
- Multi-policy discounts. If you already insure your home or car with Budget Direct, you can get 20% off your travel insurance.
- Check your excess. Opting for the highest excess means you'll pay less upfront for cover but need to pay the full excess should you lodge a claim.
What happens if I need to make a claim?
If you do need to file a claim, the process is relatively straightforward. What you'll need to provide is:
- Policy number
- Details about the accident: time, date etc.
- Supporting evidence: police or medical reports, receipts, etc.
- Personal details: name, age, etc.
- Payment details: account name, number, etc.
- Travel details: where, when, etc.
Budget Direct claim and contact details
EClaim via email: Complete your claim form and send it along with any other supporting information to email@example.com
Claim via post: Complete your claim form and send it along with any other supporting information to;
Budget Direct Travel Insurance
Locked Bag 3018
Toowong DC, QLD 4066
Claim online: Complete your claim form and upload it along with any other supporting information through Budget Direct online claims centre; https://claimmanager.com.au/budgetdirect/agreement
Emergency assistance: +61 7 3360 7735 (reverse charges)
Budget Direct Travel Insurance FAQ
Read more on this topic
Ask an Expert