Travel insurance for visitors to Australia and non-Australian residents

Travelling to Australia or already arrived and need travel insurance? Compare policies that cover lost luggage, medical expenses, travel cancellation and more.

Esperance kangaroo

You’ve travelled all this way, so don’t let your trip be ruined by a run-in with a funnel web spider or a budget airline that accidentally sends your luggage to Sydney, Nova Scotia. Protect yourself from situations like these and many more with overseas travel insurance.

Best of all, you don’t even need to be a citizen to get cover. Local insurers designed these policies for travellers just like you.

Compare policies for visitors to Australia

Brands Product Product Details Apply
Travel Insurance Saver Inbound

$200,000 medical and dental expenses

$20,000 cancellation or holiday deferment costs

$500,000 personal liability

Travellers who are under 70 years of age; limits apply to travellers between 60 and 70

Get quote
CoverMore Travel Insurance Inbound

$10 million overseas medical and dental

$10 million additional expenses

$3,000 luggage and travel documents

$1 million personal liability

Get quote

Benefits of having a travel insurance policy as a visitor in Australia

Travel insurance offers many features and benefits for visitors to Australia.

  • Emergency medical and hospital. At the top of the list of benefits is knowing that you are covered if you suffer a medical emergency. Emergency medical and hospital expenses will be covered if you are injured or fall ill during your trip, while the cost of medical repatriation will also be included if required.
  • Interruption.Sometimes, unforeseen circumstances might force you to cancel or cut short your trip. For example, you may lose your job or be diagnosed with a terminal illness, though you may not be able to get refunds for deposits or other pre-booked travel or accommodation. Travel insurance policies will ensure you are reimbursed for the money you are otherwise not able to get back.
  • Theft, delay and damage.Next on the list is protection for your luggage and personal belongings. If they are lost, stolen or damaged on your trip, your insurance policy will provide cover for the cost of their repair or replacement. Similarly, if an airline misplaces your luggage or it is delayed, cover is available to help you buy essential clothing and toiletries.Theft is another common problem travellers encounter, so travel insurance is designed to look after you if your cash, credit cards, passport or important travel documents are stolen. Other cover features include a death benefit, personal liability and rental vehicle excess cover.

In short, travel insurance is specially designed to offer protection against a wide range of risks you may be exposed to while travelling. Not only can this help you save money in the long run, it can also save you a whole lot of stress if something goes wrong.

Back to top

Conditions of non-resident travel insurance for Australia

The eligibility requirements in order to be able to take out cover can vary from one insurance provider to the next, but one common requirement is that you need to be spending the majority of your trip in Australia. Many insurers will require you to have valid Medicare cover or private health insurance as well. It is worth noting that not all pre-existing medical conditions will be covered by insurers. Some may be automatically excluded and for others you may be required to submit further information detailing the nature of your condition.

Just like normal travel insurance policies, non-resident travel insurance will generally have an age limit on people who can take out cover. For example, many policies stipulate that you must be under the age of 81 to take out cover.

It’s possible to take out a policy before or after you arrive in Australia, though if you’ve already arrived you may have to serve a waiting period before some aspects of cover will take effect.

Travel insurance for overseas students in Australia

If you’re an overseas student in Australia, you can benefit from having travel insurance in place in addition to Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC). Although OSHC is a visa requirement and provides essential cover for health care costs, it’s still recommended that you take out travel insurance to offer financial protection against risks not covered by OSHC, if you are indeed planning on travelling while on your student visa.

Student travel insurance provides cover for:

  • Cancelled and delayed flights
  • Lost, stolen and damaged luggage and personal belongings
  • Missed flights
  • Additional accommodation and travel expenses when your trip is delayed or adjusted due to circumstances outside your control
  • Accidental death cover
  • Cancellation fees and lost deposits
  • Personal liability when you cause bodily injury to someone else or damage to their property

In addition, if your visa status changes while you are in Australia and you no longer qualify for OSHC, your student travel insurance policy can cover the medical and hospital expenses you incur in Australia.

How to compare non-resident travel insurance policies

When comparing non-resident travel insurance policies, it’s essential that you take the time to do your research. Do an online search for insurance providers who specialise in offering the type of cover you’re looking for, and seek out reviews of any companies you’re considering.

Obtain quotes from a number of insurers to get an idea of the cost involved, but look past the mere cost to see exactly what each policy covers. Read all policy documents closely to familiarise yourself with the benefits, features, limits and exclusions offered by each policy. Does the policy you want cover you for all the activities and experiences you’ll be engaging in? Does one policy have higher benefit limits than the others? is the perfect place to compare a range of non-resident travel insurance policies. If you need additional assistance, consider enlisting the help of an insurance consultant to help you find the right policy for your needs.

Back to top

Questions about travel insurance for visitors to Australia

Is it possible to purchase a travel insurance policy once you’re already overseas?
Yes, it is. You can purchase cover before you leave home or once you arrive in Australia. If you purchase cover when you’re already overseas, you may have to serve a brief waiting period (commonly 48 hours) before certain aspects of the cover will take effect.

Will my children be covered?

Most non-resident travel insurance policies will also include a certain level of cover for your dependent children.

How long do I need to have been in Australia for?

This can vary from one insurer to the next, but many insurers will require you to have been in Australia for three months before taking out cover.

I need help finding the right policy. What can I do?

You can use’s comparison tools to weigh up the pros and cons of competing policies. If you need expert advice, an insurance broker can help you tailor a policy to suit your specific needs.

If you’re visiting Australia but are not a permanent resident, you can still get the travel insurance cover you need to enjoy a relaxing getaway. Just make sure to compare the available options before deciding which policy is right for you.

Travel Insurance for Visitors to Australia

Back to top
*The products compared on this page are chosen from a range of offers available to us and are not representative of all the products available in the market. There is no perfect order or perfect ranking system for the products we list on our Site, so we provide you with the functionality to self-select, re-order and compare products. The initial display order is influenced by a range of factors including conversion rates, product costs and commercial arrangements, so please don't interpret the listing order as an endorsement or recommendation from us. We're happy to provide you with the tools you need to make better decisions, but we'd like you to make your own decisions and compare and assess products based on your own preferences, circumstances and needs.

Picture: GettyImages

Was this content helpful to you? No  Yes

Ask an Expert

You are about to post a question on

  • Do not enter personal information (eg. surname, phone number, bank details) as your question will be made public
  • is a financial comparison and information service, not a bank or product provider
  • We cannot provide you with personal advice or recommendations
  • Your answer might already be waiting – check previous questions below to see if yours has already been asked

Finder only provides general advice and factual information, so consider your own circumstances, or seek advice before you decide to act on our content. By submitting a question, you're accepting our Terms of Use, Disclaimer & Privacy Policy and Privacy & Cookies Policy.

28 Responses

  1. Default Gravatar
    PunzOctober 11, 2019

    I would like to insure my parents aged 70 and 68 who arrived in Australia a couple of days ago. One of them has pre-existing medical conditions (High BP and Diabetes) I would like to know the companies that would cover them and the SI amount as well.

    • Avatarfinder Customer Care
      NikkiOctober 12, 2019Staff

      Hi Punz,

      Thanks for getting in touch! It’s good to know that you are looking to get insurance for your parents when they visit Australia. The companies listed on our page who are available to accept your application is on the top part of the page above.

      These are:
      1. Travel Insurance Saver
      2. Cover more

      Unfortunately, we are unable to give you a quote as we don’t work with them directly. Please click the green GET QUOTE button to proceed.

      Kindly note that many insurers will require you to have valid Medicare cover or private health insurance as well. It is worth noting that not all pre-existing medical conditions will be covered by insurers so be sure to ask your chosen company if they cover high blood pressure and diabetes. Some may be automatically excluded and for others, you may be required to submit further information detailing the nature of your condition.

      As a friendly reminder, carefully review the Product Disclosure Statement of the product before applying. You may also contact the insurance provider should you have any questions about their policy.

      Hope this helps and feel free to reach out to us again for further assistance.


  2. Default Gravatar
    MarkFebruary 13, 2019

    I need travel insurance for my female partner. No existing health conditions. age 41. Dates to be insured are 6th of march until 23rd of may 2019. I want full cover or similar for this lady. Please supply some quotes asap.

    • Avatarfinder Customer Care
      NikkiFebruary 14, 2019Staff

      Hi Mark,

      Thanks for getting in touch! While we provide you with information on travel insurance, we are not equipped to provide you with a quote since we don’t have access to the prices of the providers on our site. We suggest to choose a provider from our list above and contact them directly to get a quote. Hope this clarifies!


  3. Default Gravatar
    shrikantSeptember 27, 2018

    My parents(Age 59,51) and my son(2 months) coming to Australia on visitor visa 600 for 6 months. We are 457 visa holder. I am planning to buy travel insurance( contain flights from and to india ) along with health insurance for them. Please advise which one is suitable for them and how much time will it take to get those insurance

    • Avatarfinder Customer Care
      JoshuaSeptember 30, 2018Staff

      Hi Shrikant,

      Thanks for getting in touch with finder. I hope all is well with you. :)

      As finder is a comparison website, we are not permitted to provide our users with specific recommendations. However, what I can suggest is for you to check our table found above this page. Check the product details and click on the “Get Quote” button to learn more.

      Getting an insurance policy should not take you more than a week as long as you provided all requirements in a timely manner.

      I hope this helps. Should you have further questions, please don’t hesitate to reach us out again.

      Have a wonderful day!


  4. Default Gravatar
    MelJune 30, 2018

    Can you get insurance for pre-existing conditions

    • Default Gravatar
      JoelJune 30, 2018

      Hi Mel,

      Thanks for leaving a question on finder.

      Please note that not all pre-existing medical conditions will be covered by insurers. Some may be automatically excluded and for others you may be required to submit further information detailing the nature of your condition.

      It may be possible to remove specific exclusions by paying an extra premium or completing a medical assessment form so it is also advisable to contact the travel insurers for more information on when a preexisting medical condition is and isn’t covered.


  5. Default Gravatar
    dannyDecember 15, 2017

    I’m a visitor to Australia holding a 408 visa, and is accidental pregnancy, is there any insurer in Australia which can cover the medical fees, such as antenatal care for the first and second trimesters?

    • Avatarfinder Customer Care
      JudithDecember 16, 2017Staff

      Hi Danny,

      Thanks for reaching out to us. I hope all is good on your end.

      You may go to this page for a list of health insurance options for 408 visa holders. We have a panel on the said page in which you would see if the option has pregnancy cover. Kindly click the green “Enquire Now” button and/or click the link “More” for you to read more information about the options.

      Whilst some insurers will provide cover where others won’t, in some cases it may be possible to remove specific exclusions by paying an extra premium or completing a medical assessment form so it is also advisable to contact the travel insurers for more information on when pregnancy is and isn’t covered.

      Lastly, please take time in reading the information about each option as well as the relevant Product Disclosure Statements / Terms & Conditions before making a decision on which option suits your needs.

      I hope this helps.

      Warm regards,

  6. Default Gravatar
    SamOctober 24, 2017

    Can you suggest any possible travel insurers to cover my dad, Canadian resident, aged 83, who will be visiting Australia and New Zealand for five weeks? Thanks

    • Avatarfinder Customer Care
      JudithOctober 25, 2017Staff

      Hi Sam,

      Thanks for contacting finder, a comparison website and general information service.

      Whilst we are unable to recommend a specific travel insurer because we are a comparison website, you may review the options on the page you’re viewing. This would help you in choosing the best option that would best suit your dad’s needs and/or situation. In reviewing each travel insurer, you may click “Get quote” and “More info” too.

      Since you have mentioned the age of your dad, here is another page that you may check. If you would contact a travel insurer, please do not forget to discuss all the details so it would be easier for you to choose the right option.

      I hope this helps.


  7. Default Gravatar
    AnneOctober 20, 2017

    I am looking for insurance for an iphone6 and a macbook pro for while I am in Australia , got here October 17 and will be here for up to 18 months on a Graduate Visa.

    • Default Gravatar
      Ash MunozOctober 20, 2017

      Hello Anne,

      Thank you for contacting finder.

      You may refer to this page for a brief background about Gadget Insurance as well as its basic coverage. At the bottom of the page, you may enter your travel details to have a sample quotation from the available lenders.

      I hope this helps.

      Let us know if there is anything else that we may assist you with.


  8. Default Gravatar
    TomApril 4, 2017

    I am bringing a vehicle to Australia from New Zealand for a touring holiday on a Carnet de Passage en Douane. I am a New Zealand resident, permanently residing in New Zealand. Can I get Insurance for the vehicle whilst in Australia

    • Avatarfinder Customer Care
      ZubairApril 4, 2017Staff

      Hi Tom,

      Thank you for your question. is a comparison and information service and we are not permitted to provide our users with personalised financial advice or product recommendations.

      You may find our imported car insurance guide helpful.


  9. Default Gravatar
    GregDecember 7, 2016

    Hi I would like a quote for my wife and her daughter. travel insurance visitors(visa 600) for 3 months (they are from Indonesia )from 10th /12/2016 to 10th /03/2017 thanks. Greg

    • Avatarfinder Customer Care
      RichardDecember 7, 2016Staff

      Hi Greg,

      Thanks for getting in touch. The table above displays the brands in our panel that offer this type of cover. However, you will need to go through to their sites to get a quote.


  10. Default Gravatar
    StephenDecember 3, 2016

    My daughter is going to Australia for 6 months to study ( has sub class 500 visa)
    She has medical cover in place for that time but needs travel insurance for flight, luggage and loss or theft of personal possessions for her stay.
    Is there a policy for this?

    • Avatarfinder Customer Care
      RichardDecember 5, 2016Staff

      Hi Stephen,

      Thanks for getting in touch. You may wish to consult a local travel insurance brand, as most inbound policies from Australian providers include medical cover as standard. If that is of no concern, the table above provides a list of Australian travel insurance brands that offer cover for non-residents.

      All the best,

Ask a question
Go to site