Annual Travel Insurance

Sign post pointing to different countries

Are you a frequent flyer? Find out how multi-trip travel insurance can help you save.

For those who travel multiple times throughout the year, annual travel insurance (also referred to as multi-trip travel insurance) is more convenient and often more affordable than multiple single trip travel insurance policies. The benefits of annual travel insurance include:

  • One policy means cover for one year. Enjoy unlimited trips for 12 months up to the maximum trip duration outlined in the policy disclosure statement (PDS).
  • One policy means savings. Depending on the number of trips you take, annual travel insurance can save you money.
  • One policy means convenience. You don't have to worry about organising a policy each time you travel.
  • One policy means you can travel whenever you want. If you want to travel at the drop of a hat, an annual travel insurance policy means there's one less thing for you to think about.

Compare annual multi-trip travel insurance policies

Made a search before? Retrieve your search results

At least one destination is required
Both dates are required
Add more travellers
Enter the age of each traveller between 0 and 99

Enter a valid email address

At least one destination is required
Starting date is required
Add more travellers
Enter the age of each traveller between 0 and 99

Enter a valid email address

Type or select your destination

Popular Destinations

Can't find your destination? Just type it in the box above.

We compare products from

By submitting this form, you agree to privacy policy

Why it pays to compare

If you travel frequently, it's a good idea to look into annual travel insurance. For most people, buying a regular travel policy will do the job, but if you go away twice a year (or even more, you lucky thing!) it can be a lot cheaper to get annual cover that will work for multiple trips. Curious about what's covered? Here's the difference between an annual and a single-trip policy:

  • Travel guidesAnnual travel insurance. An annual travel insurance policy will cover you for multiple individual trips to multiple destinations over a 12-month period. However, the duration of these individual trips is limited to the maximum single trip duration specified on your Certificate of Insurance, which can be anywhere from 30 to 90 days.
  • Single trip travel insurance. A single trip policy will cover you for one journey. The single trip can contain multiple destinations. However, these destinations must be part of one consecutive journey. Your journey is generally considered complete when you come back to Australia. You can get cover for single trips that last anywhere from one to 540 days.

The other major difference between single and annual travel insurance is the treatment of pre-existing conditions. Most travel insurers won't offer annual policies to those who declare that they have a pre-existing condition. Aside from the two instances above, the cover offered by annual travel insurance is similar to what you would generally be covered for by a single trip comprehensive policy.

Find the best* annual travel insurance for your needs

Compare the features of annual travel insurance policies available on finder below:

BrandMax individual trip durationDomestic travel included?Maximum age covered
1Cover90 days
  • Yes
60 max
AIG45 days
  • Yes
69 years and under at the date of departure
American Express45 consecutive days
  • Yes
69 years and under at the date of departure
Budget Direct30 days
  • No
100 years of age or under at the date of application
  • Overseas Trip = 90 days
  • Trips within Australia = 45 days
  • Yes
69 years and under at the date of departure
Columbus Direct60 days
  • Yes
69 years and under at the date of departure
  • International (Plan I) = 60 days
  • Domestic (Plan D) = 30 days
  • Yes
74 years max
Easy Travel InsuranceLess than 60 days (59 days)
  • Yes
70 years and under
Fast Cover
  • 63 days
  • Yes
59 years of age or younger
Go Insurance31 days (can be extended to 50 or 60 days)
  • Yes
75 years of age or younger
InsureandGo60 days
  • Cruise only
100 years of age or under at the date of application
  • Holiday Trip = 37 days
  • Business Trip = 90 days
  • Yes
70 or under
SkiInsurance21 days
  • Yes
66 years of age or younger.
Southern Cross90 days
  • No
No maximum age
  • Holiday Trip = 38 days
  • Business Trip = 90 days
  • Yes
76 years of age to be eligible for the policy
Travel Insurance Saver60 days
  • Yes
69 years of age or younger
Travel Insuranz93 days
  • Yes
65 years of age or younger
The Wise Traveller90 days
  • No
65 or under
Virgin Money45 days
  • Yes
75 years of age or younger
Woolworths30 days
  • Yes
80 years of age or younger
  • Leisure Trip = 37 days
  • Business Trip = 90 days
  • Yes
71 years of age or younger
  • International travel = 60 days
  • Domestic travel = 30 days
  • Yes
85 years of age or younger
Back to top

Questions about multi-trip travel insurance and what it covers

  • Does annual travel insurance cover medical costs? Yes. Most annual travel insurance policies provide cover for overseas medical expenses. These expenses may include:
    • Cost of surgery
    • Dental costs
    • Money for purchasing medicines and prescription drugs
    • Fees charged by hospitals or clinics for treatment
    • Doctor’s and surgeon’s fees
  • Does multi-trip insurance cover expenses due to travel delays? Most travel insurance policies cover you for cancelled trips as well as delayed or interrupted trips.
  • What happens if I have to cancel my trip? In many cases, you can get the entire cost of a trip refunded if the trip was cancelled due to an unexpected event such as a serious injury, illness or death in the family.
  • What if my flight is cancelled and the next available flight isn't until the next day? The costs for incidental expenses are generally covered, such as additional accommodation and meals.
  • What happens if I lose my baggage? Annual travel insurance generally provides cover for lost luggage. The amount of cover varies from insurer to insurer, and it's always important to check the policy limits and sub-limits.
  • Do I have cover for the loss of valuable items? Personal effects cover ensures you will be reimbursed for the cost of replacing valuable items that are lost or stolen on your trip. Typical items to cover include:
    • Laptops
    • Cameras
    • Sporting goods
    • Mobile phones
    • Jewellery
  • Does the policy cover additional accommodation expenses? Annual multi-trip policies generally provide cover for accommodation expenses incurred if you are unable to travel due to a variety of reasons.
  • How long can I travel for? It depends on the policy, but annual travel insurance policies normally cover you for single trips between 30 and 90 days.
  • Do annual policies cover both international and domestic travel? Not all insurers offer annual travel insurance that covers both domestic and international travel.
  • Are there annual domestic policies? Yes. Many of the insurers listed above do offer annual domestic travel insurance policies. However, these domestic policies require that you travel a minimum distance from your home before they will provide you with cover.
  • If I have an annual policy, do I have to take out a separate policy for each trip I take overseas? No. Each separate trip will be covered under the single policy.
Back to top

What isn't covered?

Each insurer has its own set of exclusions. You should be able to find these exclusions outlined in the annual travel insurance PDS. Typical multi-trip travel insurance exclusions include:

Back to top

How do I know if this cover is right for me?

Before you buy an annual travel insurance policy, ask yourself the following questions:

  • Am I getting value for money? What you pay for your annual travel insurance premium is more than you would pay for a single trip policy. Or two. Or three. You get the idea. When assessing value for money, it all comes down to personal circumstances. Work out how much you would pay per single trip versus annual travel insurance. There is also the convenience [read: laziness] coefficient to consider.
  • Do I often have to travel without much notice? If you have to travel without much notice, annual travel insurance may be a suitable option. Not only does it provide peace of mind, it takes one less task out of your travel preparation.
  • Do I have any pre-existing conditions? Annual frequent travel insurance may not be the best option if you have a pre-existing medical condition. Insurers are reluctant to underwrite people with pre-existing conditions for annual travel insurance policies, which is why a single trip policy may be a more suitable option.
  • How many trips am I going to take in the next year? Annual travel insurance is cost-effective for those who travel often. You need to factor in the cost of the policy and the number of trips you'll be taking over the next year. Once you have done that, you'll be able to know if you're getting value for money.
  • How long are these trips going to be? Most annual policies cap the length of a single trip somewhere between 30 and 90 days. If your trip is going to exceed this length of time, you'll need a single trip policy.
  • Does it suit my cover needs? Most annual travel insurance policies do not cover people who are over the age of 65. It's important to compare travel insurance policies from various insurance providers so that you can pick a policy that provides the best scope for all your trips.
Back to top

How do I compare multi-trip policies?

Once you have quotes for a range of policies, you should review the features of the policy, including:

  • What are the benefits of the policy? This is the most critical component of the policy and will detail events that the insurer will provide cover for and for how much.
  • What are the policy exclusions? Each policy will feature a range of exclusions for events where a benefit will not be paid. It's critical to review each of these closely to avoid any surprises at claim time.
  • Is there a cooling-off period? All policies have a cooling-off period, which gives you the freedom to cancel your policy within a certain period of time if you change your mind. This period is usually between 14 and 30 days and can only be exercised if you have not already commenced your trip.
  • Does it provide an adequate level of cover? Look at important features such as overseas medical expenses. A comprehensive policy will generally offer unlimited cover in these events.
  • Can I get a single or family policy? Most single policies will cover up to one extra child or grandchild, while a family policy will cover spouse or de facto partner and accompanying children or grandchildren.
  • Is the destination covered? It's critical to review what countries your insurer covers. For domestic trips, your insurer will usually require you to travel more than 250km from your home.
  • How long is cover in place? The limit on the number of days that can be travelled can vary greatly between providers, so it's essential to compare what is available. There is usually no limit on the number of trips that can be taken, but the number of days for each trip can be limited to anywhere from 30 to 90.
  • What is the insurer's claim procedure like? Review the insurer's claim procedure to find out what steps will need to be taken for claims both in Australia and abroad. Find out what documentation may be required for a claim, such as:
      • Original dental or medical certificates
      • Police reports
      • Original proof of ownership of valuable items insured including receipts, invoicing or packaging
      • Copy of your travel itinerary
      • Airline, bus, train and other transportation tickets
      • Luggage tags
      • Any court documents or other documents related to the claim
  • Does the policy have a high excess? The excess is the amount the insurer will charge in order for a claim to be processed. The excess can vary greatly between insurers, and some offer policies with excess eliminators. A reduced excess will usually mean increased premiums.

I mostly travel for business rather than for pleasure. Can I still benefit from annual travel insurance?

Business travellerYes you can. Business cover is usually included in an annual frequent travel insurance policy, which means it doesn't matter whether you are travelling for business or going on a holiday.

However, certain types of professions may be excluded from annual travel insurance policies. For example, manual work is not usually covered by annual travel insurance. Make sure you check the conditions for work prior to purchasing cover.

Is annual travel insurance tax deductible if I'm travelling for work? No. Unfortunately, you can not claim travel insurance as a tax deduction.

Back to top

Questions you might have about annual travel insurance

Back to top

Weighing up the benefits and drawbacks of annual cover

The good

  • Convenient for business travellers
  • Useful for those who regularly travel on short notice regularly
  • Cheaper than a single policy if you travel frequently
  • Same level of cover as single policies
  • Covers an unlimited number of individual trips over a 12-month period

The bad

  • Hard to find cover for pre-existing conditions
  • Domestic travel not always covered
  • Trip duration normally capped at 90 days
  • Lower age limits than single trip policies

Compare policies today

If travel you travel a lot for work or pleasure, it's worth seeing whether an annual travel insurance can save you money. Use the comparison tool at the top of the page to compare your options and find the right cover today.

Compare annual travel insurance policies today

Picture: pryzmat / Picture: frankieleon, licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 2.0 Generic (image cropped) Picture: Vanessa Chettleburgh, licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 2.0 Generic (image cropped)
* The offers compared on this page are chosen from a range of products has access to track details from and is not representative of all the products available in the market. Products are displayed in no particular order or ranking. The use of terms "Cheapest", 'Best' and 'Top' are not product ratings and are subject to our disclaimer. You should consider seeking independent financial advice and consider your personal financial circumstances when comparing products.
Picture: Shutterstock

Back to top

Read more on this topic

Ask an Expert

You are about to post a question on

  • Do not enter personal information (eg. surname, phone number, bank details) as your question will be made public
  • is a financial comparison and information service, not a bank or product provider
  • We cannot provide you with personal advice or recommendations
  • Your answer might already be waiting – check previous questions below to see if yours has already been asked

Finder only provides general advice and factual information, so consider your own circumstances, read the PDS or seek advice before you decide to act on our content. By submitting a question, you're accepting our Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy.

22 Responses

  1. Default Gravatar
    Jean83October 27, 2015

    I want to find a combined annual multi trip policy for myself and my husband. But we won’t be travelling on all the same trips throughout the year. Please can you tell me which policies cover this? I know there are some that do,I just don’t know which ones.

    • Staff
      RichardOctober 27, 2015Staff

      Hi Jean83,

      Thanks for your question. GoInsurance provide this cover only on the Go Plus level of cover. With 1Cover you are able to put two adults on an annual policy as it allows cover for you both individually. However, you must travel together for more than 75% of your trips and not exceed 90 days for a single trip.

      This is in no way a comprehensive list of the cover options available nor is it an endorsement of these products. You should carefully consider your needs and review the product prior to making a decision.

      I hope this was helpful,

  2. Default Gravatar
    PaulAugust 5, 2015

    My daughter is going to South America only, from 14/08 to 15/11 (95 days?).What are her travel insurance options.??

    • Staff
      RichardAugust 6, 2015Staff

      Hi Paul,

      Thanks for your question. is a comparison service and not an insurer. If you would like to compare your daughters travel insurance options, please enter her travel details into the quote engine generator above.

      I hope this was helpful,

  3. Default Gravatar
    sunnyJuly 3, 2015

    does multi trip travel insurance cover worldwide destination, not a particular country?

    • Staff
      RichardJuly 4, 2015Staff

      Hi Sunny,

      Thanks for your question. Annual travel insurance covers you for world-wide travel. However, when selecting a policy you’ll need to choose a particular destination or region. You will need to select the highest region that applies to the area you’re travelling to, as this will ensure you’re covered by the policy in the event you need to make a claim.

      I hope this was helpful,

  4. Default Gravatar
    CsabaMay 26, 2015

    My husband and I are missionaries and traveling during the year. Most of the times we spend more than 3 months in one country. What kind of annual multiple trip traveling insurance can you offer to us?

    • Staff
      RichardMay 26, 2015Staff

      Hi Csaba,

      Thanks for your question. is a comparison service and not an insurer. Unfortunately, there is only one provider in our panel that provides cover on an annual policy of more than 90 days, Travel Insuranz, and even then it is only 93 days.

      If you are unable to find an annual policy that will cover extended periods, it may be best to just take out a single trip policy if you are only going to be travelling back and forth to the same country. If you take a standard single trip policy for a 12 month period, but plan to return home briefly in the middle of your trip, provided you have not returned early and made a claim on the insurance, you may be able to have continuous cover whilst overseas. Remember that you will not be insured whilst in your home country. You may also want to consider a backpackers travel insurance policy if you are planning on going to multiple countries.

      I hope this was helpful,

  5. Default Gravatar
    CaroleApril 29, 2015

    Hi, we are looking at travelling to Bali 29/8 – 7/9/2015 we are 69 and 71 years of age.
    Also going to Vancouver in November/December then 2016 going to England.
    How much would it cost for a 12 month policy for us and how many days can we be out of the country at one time, also excess and what are we covered for.
    Thanks Carole

    • Staff
      RichardApril 30, 2015Staff

      Hi Carole,

      Thanks for your question. is a comparison service and not an insurer. If you would like to compare the policies from our providers, please enter your travel details into the travel form at the top of the page.

      I hope this was helpful,

  6. Default Gravatar
    JohnApril 29, 2015

    I am a volunteer missionary doing education work in East Africa. I travel to Africa for four months, then I’m back in Aus. for four months, and so on. In Africa I have a lot of travel by road, and a little by air. At 68yrs of age, but in great health, what’s best for me.

    • Staff
      RichardApril 30, 2015Staff

      Hi John,

      Thanks for your question. It will depend on a number of factors. Unfortunately, most annual policies have a maximum trip duration of 90 days, so you may need to take out separate policies.

      I hope this was helpful,

    • Default Gravatar
      JohnApril 30, 2015

      Thanks Richard.
      If I did that – i.e. took out two 60 or 90 day policies consecutively, which companies/policies would be best geared for my circumstances.

    • Staff
      RichardApril 30, 2015Staff

      Hi John,

      Thanks for your question. Unfortunately, is a comparison service and we are not permitted to provide product recommendations. However, you may find the following resources helpful:
      Travel Insurance for Seniors
      Travel Insurance for Volunteers

      I hope this was helpful,

  7. Default Gravatar
    SteveoApril 15, 2015

    I am going on a ski trip to Canada in 2016. Flights have been bought with NAB platinum Amex card . Will the travel insurance that is provided with the card cover me for on-piste and off-piste skiing injuries?

    • Staff
      RichardApril 15, 2015Staff

      Hi Stevo,

      Thanks for your question. I’ve had a look at the PDS and there doesn’t seem to be any mention of ski cover, so you may want to contact QBE Insurance (the issuers of the policy) on 1800 187 025 for clarification. It’s important to remember that to qualify for cover, you must purchase a minimum of $500 of your prepaid transportation, accommodation or tour costs on your NAB Platinum Amex card.

      If you are unable to get cover with your NAB card, you may find the following resource useful:
      Ski Travel Insurance

      I hope this was helpful,

  8. Default Gravatar
    AlanFebruary 18, 2015

    I am a retiree, and am starting to travel a bit i think my travel will fit in the annual travel policy.My Q is When does the policy start say if i travel on 15 april and expiry of the annual policy date. I plan to travel in mid april 2015 to London from Melbourne aust.stop over in kl then to london for a month’s stay then back to kl for a longer stop over stay then return to Melb.Total to – fro journey 90days.

    • Staff
      RichardFebruary 18, 2015Staff

      Hi Alan,

      Thanks for your question. You can specify when you want the annual policy to start, e.g. commence immediately or begin at the commencement of your trip. When choosing your annual travel policy, make sure to check the maximum duration a single trip can be, some policies limit trip durations to as little as 30 days.

      I hope this was helpful,

  9. Default Gravatar
    JaneFebruary 1, 2015

    Looking for the right insurance not sure which one I should buy, annual multi trip or single policy’s as I understand Medicare does cover you on any domestic cruises? We are a family of four and we’re going on a domestic cruise this year for 7 nights then extending our holiday for 6 nights in the Gold Coast, we have also booked flights to the UK visiting family for 5 weeks. Please can you advise me. Thanks

    • Staff
      RichardFebruary 3, 2015Staff

      Hi Jane,

      Thanks for your question. You are correct, Medicare does not cover you for cruise travel. Once you have decided on a provider and or policy, it really come down to cost for this. Have you got travel insurance quotes for these trips already? If not, please have a look at our quoting engine on our homepage. Once you have entered your details in for both annual and for the separate single trip insurances, you will be able to work out which is the better value for money for you.

      I hope this was helpful,

  10. Default Gravatar
    DavidJune 19, 2014

    do any of these insurance company’s cover
    pre-existing illness’s

    Please advise which ones.?

    Many thanks

    • Staff
      ShirleyJune 20, 2014Staff

      Hi David,

      Thanks for your question.

      Yes there are number of policies that cover pre-existing illnesses. You can find them on this page.


Ask a question