Cheap Home Insurance

Looking for low cost home and contents insurance but don't want to skimp on value? Follow these steps to find affordable cover that won't leave you stranded.

There are three quick steps to finding the cheapest home insurance*:

  • Know how much cover you really need.
  • Compare multiple quotes.
  • Avoid extras if you don't need them.

Read on for some key tips on how to reduce the price of your home insurance without sacrificing the quality of your cover.

Save with the latest home insurance deals and offers

Get up to 30% off combined home and contents insurance online

Save 30% off Dodo home and contents insurance when you purchase cover online.

Save 30% on Australia Post Gold Home and Contents when purchased online.

Save 30% on a new Gold Home and Contents Insurance policy when you buy online.

Save 30% when you purchase Virgin Home and Contents Online

Save 30% when you combine Home and Contents Insurance Price Saver online

30% online discount on home & contents insurance

Receive 30% off combined smart home and contents insurance when you purchase cover online.

Save 30% on ING Home Insurance

Save up to 30% when you purchase new ING home and content insurance online.

Details Features
Home & Contents Insurance
Home & Contents Insurance
Save 30% when you purchase cover online
  • 24/7 Phone & online claims service
  • Covers the cost of rebuilding or repairing your home
  • Covers in-home contents and contents away from address
  • Choice of excess options
Go to site More info
Gold Home and Contents
Gold Home and Contents
Save 30% on cover when you purchase online
  • Cover for surrounding garages, verandahs and fences
  • Cover for your contents
  • Cover against theft, storm and rainwater, fire and more
  • Temporary accommodation
Go to site More info
Comprehensive Building and Contents
Comprehensive Building and Contents
Save up to 30% when you purchase a combined Woolworths Home and Contents policy online. Cover must be purchased prior to 31st October.
  • $8,000 cover for outdoor contents
  • $10,000 cover for home office contents
  • Accidental damage cover
  • Emergency accommodation cover
Go to site More info
Home and Contents Insurance
Home and Contents Insurance
Receive 30% off when you purchase cover online
  • New for old replacement cover
  • Automatically insured for fire, storm, rainwater and theft
  • Adjustment of sum insured at renewal
  • $20 million legal liability benefit cover
Go to site More info
Home and Contents Insurance
Home and Contents Insurance
Buy online and save up to 10% on your policy.
  • Cover for legal liability
  • Protect your contents and possessions
  • Cover against theft, storm and rainwater, fire and more
  • Cover for accidental damage
Go to site More info
Home and Contents
Home and Contents
Save 30% and new eligible customers can receive 10,000 Velocity Frequent Flyer Points when you purchase online
  • Up to $20 million legal liability cover
  • 21 day money back guarantee if a claim has not been made
  • Optional extras on offer
Go to site More info
Home and Contents Insurance
Home and Contents Insurance
Save up to 30% when you purchase cover online
  • Up to $20 million legal liability cover
  • New for old replacement cover
  • Optional 25% safeguard if sum-insured not sufficient
  • Optional flood cover
Go to site More info
Building and Contents Insurance
Building and Contents Insurance
Cover for loss or damage caused by riot or civil commotion
  • Cover for loss or damage by theft, attempted theft
  • Cover for damage from accidental fire
  • Optional burnout of electric motors
  • Optional accidental damage cover
Go to site More info

7 tips to spending less on home insurance

1. Determine how much cover you actually need.

Determine what kind of policy you need, whether that be building, contents, or both. Ensure your policy adequately covers your needs. Get a proper assessment on your sum insured and replacement value of your contents.

2. Improve your home security.

Security systems and alarms can act as a deterrent to thieves, while smoke alarms can reduce the risk of your home being damaged by fire. Installing these items can reduce the cost of your home and contents premiums.

3. Compare quotes from multiple insurers.

Don’t simply accept the first home and contents insurance quote you get. Compare quotes from at least three different insurers - this is quick and easy to do online - and shop around for a deal.

4. Make your home disaster resistant.

You may be able to save by adding features to make your home more resistant to storms and natural disasters. Consider installing storm shutters, reinforcing your roof, and modernising your heating and electrical systems to reduce the risk of fire or water damage.

5. Pay your premium annually.

Most insurers will let you choose a premium frequency (how often you pay per annum) when applying for cover. Paying annually as opposed to monthly could save you in the long-run.

6. Search for discounts.

If you hold multiple policies with the same insurer you may be entitled to a discount on your home and contents premium. Many insurers will also apply a discount to your premium if you purchase your insurance online. Some providers will offer to cut the price of your cover if you’ve been with them for a number of years. Don’t be afraid to ask for your loyalty to be rewarded.

7. Review your policy at least once a year.

Ensure your policy covers any major purchases or enhancements to your home. This means that you can ensure that you have enough cover for certain items, whilst also noting the reduced value of other albums. Your television might not sell for as high as it did a few years ago, which will reduce your contents cover price.

What impacts the cost of my cover?

The price you pay for cover is generally based on;

  • The policy you choose. A comprehensive policy with all the “bells and whistles” will generally cost more than the basic cover option. Assess if a basic policy will suffice for your situation.
  • How your home is used. If your home is used for business purposes or is left unoccupied for long periods of time you may be required to pay an additional cost for cover.
  • The location of your home. Insurance providers draw on claims data, crime rates, risk of flood and fire among other factors to help assess the level of each location presents. It can be worth taking some time to research where you are buying to determine what could impact the rate you pay for cover.
  • Your claims history. An insurance company will often consider previous claims you have made when determining what you pay for cover. Minor and major claims can impact what you will pay so it is worth having a look at different options available and speaking with your insurer about how you will be assessed.
  • Style of your home. Insurers will also consider the style/construction period of your home to help them determine a suitable rate.
  • The construction standard of your home. The actual design features and construction standard of your home will also impact what you pay with insurers usually rating dwellings in loose categories of average, quality and prestige.
  • If your home is built on flat or sloping land. Insurers will also need to know the aspect of the land your home is situated on to help them to determine what you will pay.

Make sure you check the fine print...

When shopping for home and contents insurance, it’s important to read the fine print so that you know exactly what your policy does and doesn’t cover. However, some of the technical jargon contained in a home and contents insurance PDS can be downright confusing, so here’s a quick rundown of what the following terms mean:

Terms to look forWhat to be aware of
Accidental damageDoes your policy cover accidental damage, such as if your kids decide to ‘redecorate’ your walls with permanent markers? This is included as standard on some policies and as an optional extra on others, so check the PDS. This should not be confused with accidental breakage, which typically only applies to glass and ceramics.
Away from homeIf you’re heading away on holiday for 30 days or more, this may restrict or even void your cover. You may need to notify your insurer before travelling.
Goods in transitThis cover usually applies to your contents when you are moving house. Various sub limits and conditions can apply, with many insurers not even covering accidental damage to contents in transit.
Defined eventsThe vast majority of home and contents insurance policies only cover you against defined events. These include fire, storm, flood, lightning, explosion, impact, earthquake, theft, vandalism, malicious acts, landslide, damage by animals, water or liquid damage.
New-for-old replacementAs the phrasing suggests, many insurers will replace your damaged old items with new ones. However, this isn’t always the case - if it’s cheaper to repair an item than replace it, they will often do so.
Water damageConditions around how water is covered can vary greatly between insurers, especially for losses from actions of the sea, storms and floods. Make sure you know exactly how you are covered for these events and if damage from leaking roofs is excluded. Many insurers don’t include cover for flood damage caused by the ocean, rivers, creeks, dams, lakes or reservoirs.
Sum insuredSome policies will provide cover up to the amount shown on your certificate of insurance, otherwise known as the sum insured. Make sure you calculate the cost of replacing everything to be certain you don’t end up under-insured.

Review regularly to avoid underinsurance

Many Australians adopt a ‘set and forget’ approach when it comes to home and contents cover, but this fails to take into account that our circumstances and the assets we own are constantly changing. This leads to a risk of being under-insured, which can end up leaving you significantly out of pocket or even in dire financial straits when disaster strikes.

The best way to combat under-insurance is to regularly review your level of cover to determine whether or not it is adequate and if you could be better off switching to a more suitable option.

To learn more about underinsurance and how to avoid it, head here.

Receive a free quote for home insurance


A. Yes, any changes to your security system could change the terms of your insurance. Improvements could also entitle you to a discount because you will be less likely to suffer loss caused by thieves.

A. Yes. Once again, this may affect an insurer’s decision to insure you, and you have a duty of disclosure to let your insurer know anything that may influence their decision to offer you cover.

A. Yes, many providers do include flood protection in their home and contents policies. However, make sure to check the fine print for any exclusions that may apply.

A. It is possible that what you pay for cover may increase even if your situation doesn’t, based on other factors such as where you live.

  • Two-cylinder deadlocks fitted to external doors
  • Locks fitted to sliding doors
  • Security screens fitted to windows
  • Single-cylinder locks fitted to windows
  • Alarm system fitted to home

A. Carpets are generally covered as part of a contents insurance policy.

A. Many insurers will offer some cover for contents owned by invited visitors, but check your PDS to see what limits apply to cover.

Get the latest home insurance news

Was this content helpful to you? No  Yes

Related Posts

Ask an Expert

You are about to post a question on

  • Do not enter personal information (eg. surname, phone number, bank details) as your question will be made public
  • is a financial comparison and information service, not a bank or product provider
  • We cannot provide you with personal advice or recommendations
  • Your answer might already be waiting – check previous questions below to see if yours has already been asked

Finder only provides general advice and factual information, so consider your own circumstances, read the PDS or seek advice before you decide to act on our content. By submitting a question, you're accepting our Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy.
Ask a question