Qantas home insurance review
Get Qantas Home Insurance to protect your home and earn Qantas Points while you do it.
- This renowned Aussie brand's policies are underwritten by Auto & General Insurance Company Limited, one of the world's biggest insurers.
- Home office contents cover of $15,000 should be enough for those who have chosen to invest a bit more in their remote working set up.
- While Qantas may offer two attractive sign up deals, its 15% policy saving for combining home and contents insurance doesn't match Budget Direct's saving of 30%.
Review by our insurance writer Gary Hunter
Compare Qantas Home Insurance policies in a few clicks
What's the deal with Qantas?
Qantas is most commonly known for its airline but the company actually has a few different areas of business, including insurance.
The Qantas brand offers health insurance, car insurance, travel insurance, life insurance and most recently, home insurance.
The home insurance policies are underwritten by Auto & General Insurance Company Limited. That's one of the biggest insurance providers in the world.
What does Qantas home insurance cover?
Home insurance covers the actual structure of your home while contents covers the things inside it. It's super helpful in lots of situations but there are things it doesn't cover too.
|Key benefits||Home and contents Insurance||Home building insurance||Contents insurance||Landlord insurance|
|Pay monthly at no extra cost|
|Full building replacement|
|Choice of excess|
|Fire and explosion|
|Accidental glass breakage|
|Temporary accommodation||10% of sum insured - up to 12 months||10% of sum insured - up to 12 months||10% of sum insured - up to 12 months||10% of sum insured - up to 12 months|
|Replacement of locks||$1,000||$1,000||$1,000|
|Damage to trees, plants or shrubs||$0||$0||$0||$0|
|Electrical motor burnout||Optional||Optional||Optional||Optional|
|Contents temporarily removed from home||20% of the contents sum insured||20% of the contents sum insured||20% of the contents sum insured|
|Cover for strata title property owners|
|Removal of debris and trees|
|Tools of trade||$2,000||$0||$2,000||$2,000|
|Loss or theft of credit card||$0||$0||$0||$800|
|Home office contents||$15,000||$15,000||$15000|
|Storm and rainwater damage|
|Impact including fallen trees|
|Automatically included watch limit||$2,000||$0||$2,000||$2,000|
|Specified personal effects||Optional||Optional||Optional|
|Loss of rent||Optional||Optional|
|Tenant default and damage|
|Underwriter||Auto & General Insurance Company Limited||Auto & General Insurance Company Limited||Auto & General Insurance Company Limited||Auto & General Insurance Company Limited|
|Distributor||Qantas Airways Limited||Qantas Airways Limited||Qantas Airways Limited||Qantas Airways Limited|
What other benefits are there?
- Sum insured safeguard. If you add on this optional extra, Qantas will increase the amount you are insured for by up to 25% if you make a claim on your home insurance and it turns out you're not fully covered.
- Choice of excess. There are 12 different levels of excess to choose from, ranging from $100 to $5,000. The higher the excess, the lower the premiums.
- Temporary accommodation. If your home is unliveable, Qantas will pay up to 10% of sum insured - up to 12 months of your home or contents sums insured for reasonable and appropriate temporary accommodation.
- Funeral expenses. Qantas will pay up to $7,000 towards funeral costs if you, your family or a household member suffer a fatal injury caused by an insured event at your address.
What doesn't Qantas cover?
Home insurance helps in lots of different situations, but it doesn't cover everything. Here's a list of some of the things your Qantas home insurance policy won't cover.
- Action of the sea, high water or underground water
- Breaking the law
- Business activity
- Consequential loss
- Contamination or pollution
- Contents in the open air
- Defects, structural faults or design faults
- Earth movement
- Gradual deterioration
- Hydrostatic pressure
- Intentional acts
- Loss of data
- Poor condition
- Uninsured period (first 72 hours of this policy)
- When your home is unoccupied
- Items over a certain value
- Pet injury
- Damage to trees and shrubs
Will I get frequent flyer points?
Yes, you could earn up to 20,000 Qantas Points. This will vary depending on how expensive your home insurance policy is though.