We’re reader-supported and may be paid when you visit links to partner sites. We don’t compare all products in the market, but we’re working on it!
Allianz is one of the biggest names in insurance, so it's no surprise that they offer home insurance as well. Allianz offers 4 policy types; building insurance, contents insurance, building & contents insurance and landlord insurance.
To add to that, Allianz Home Insurance has no claim bonuses, flexible excesses and discounts if you pay your premium annually.
We don't currently have this brand on our panel. But don't fret! You can head to the Allianz website or compare a bunch of other home insurance companies with finder.
What cover options does Allianz Home Insurance offer?
Allianz Building & Contents Insurance
Allianz’s Building and Contents Insurance provides essential protection for your building and possessions against a wide range of risks. Loss or damage caused by insured events such as fire, storms and theft is included in cover. Other features include up to $20 million of legal liability cover and optional flood cover. You've also got the option to get covered for those portable items that you take away from home, such as your phone, camera, or jewellery.
This policy provides essential cover for your building and contents against loss or damage caused by a long list of insured events. These include:
Allianz Building Insurance
This type of policy covers just your home's structure and not the things inside of it. It'll cover you against a wide range of insured events including fire, storm and theft. You can also choose to opt out of flood cover to save on your premiums.
Allianz Contents Insurance
This covers only your possessions and not the building itself. It's a good option for those who live in apartments. You'll be covered for your standard fire, storm, theft, plus more. If you need extra cover, you can opt in for accidental damage and portable contents cover.
Allianz Landlord Insurance
If you want to cover your investment property, Allianz could have the policy that you're after. Allianz Landlord Insurance covers you for rental loss, $10 million legal liability, and damage for fire, storms, water damage, plus more.
How do the policies compare?
|You are protected against damage and loss caused by||Allianz Home Insurance Building and Contents cover||Allianz Home Insurance Building cover||Allianz Home Insurance Contents cover|
|Fire or smoke|
|Theft or burglary|
|Storm, cyclone, lightning, rainwater or runoff and water from leaking pipes|
|Accidental breakage of glass or ceramic items|
|Vandalism or malicious damage|
|Alternative Accommodation for you and your pets||Up to 10% sum insured - up to 12 months||Up to 10% of building sum insured - up to 12 months||Up to 10% of contents sum insured - up to 12 months|
|Legal liability cover||$20,000,000||$20,000,000||$20,000,000|
|Replacement of locks and cylinders||$1,000||$1,000||$1,000|
|Outdoor contents (like BBQs)||$2,000||$2,000|
|Security firm attendance||$500||$500|
|Modifications to buildings for paraplegia & quadriplegia||$10,000||$10,000||$0|
|Spoilage of perishable food due to natural disaster||$500||$500|
|Accidental loss or damage||Optional||Optional||Optional|
|Portable Contents (personal effects)||Optional||Optional|
In what kind of situation are excluded from cover
As you would expect, a list of general exclusions applies to Allianz Home Insurance policies. Your claim will not be paid if:
- It is caused by a deliberate, intentional, malicious or criminal act by you, your guests, or anyone acting with your consent
- It is caused by lawful confiscation, repossession or destruction of anything
- It is caused by any act of war or terrorism
- It is a result of wear and tear, depreciation, gradual deterioration, mould, mildew etc
- It relates to contents which are acquired or held illegally
- It is caused by inherent defects, structural faults or faulty design or workmanship
- It is for loss or damage caused by atmospheric or climatic conditions
- It is for loss or damage caused by insects, birds or vermin
- It is caused by mechanical or electrical breakdown
- It is caused by loss or damage to electronic data
- It is for consequential loss of any kind.
How much is this going to cost me?
There are a number of factors that can affect the cost of your Allianz Home Insurance premium, including:
- Your sum insured. The greater the amount you wish to insure your home or contents for, the more you can expect to pay for cover.
- Where your home is located. Certain risks, for example storm and theft, are more prevalent in certain regions, so this could influence the cost of your cover.
- Your home. The age of your home and the materials from which it is constructed can influence its ability to withstand damage.
- Security. Security measures such as alarm systems and deadbolts can act as a deterrent to thieves and therefore reduce the cost of cover.
- Your insurance history. Allianz Home Insurance will also consider your previous claims record before deciding whether or not to offer you cover.
Got any tips for cutting costs?
- No claim bonus. You can take advantage of a no claim bonus for every year you don’t make a claim on your Allianz Home Insurance policy. This entitles you to a maximum discount of 30%.
- Combine cover. Getting a new policy online that combines building and contents cover together in one policy will allow you to receive up to a 10% discount.
- Increase your excess. You’ll be able to pay lower premiums as a result.
- Insure accurately. Estimate the value of your contents properly so that you don’t end up over-paying for cover.
- Pay annually. It costs more to pay your premium in monthly installments than to pay an annual lump sum.
How do I make a claim?
If an incident occurs which may lead to a claim, do not admit any liability but do take all reasonable steps to prevent any further loss or damage. Also, if theft or vandalism has occurred, report the matter to the police immediately.
The next step is to contact Allianz Home Insurance as soon as possible to notify them of what has happened. You can do this by calling 13 10 13 or by completing an online claim form. It’s also worth remembering to obtain and keep any evidence of the loss or damage, as Allianz Home Insurance may request this information in order to help them process your claim.
How does excess affect Allianz Home Insurance?
When you make a claim on your Allianz Home Insurance policy, you may have to make a contribution towards the cost of that claim by paying an excess. Depending on the type of cover you have, there are several excesses that may apply to your policy. For example, in addition to the basic excess payable on all claims, a $250 excess applies to earthquake claims.
All of the excesses that apply to your policy are listed on your certificate of insurance.
Still have questions about Allianz Home Insurance?
More guides on Finder
Citi Clear Credit Card – Exclusive Offer
This Citi Clear Credit Card offer includes 0% on balance transfers for 28 months and a reduced first-year annual fee. Compare and apply here.
ANZ Rewards Platinum – Exclusive Offer
This card offers a competitive rewards program, 150,000 bonus ANZ Reward Points, a first-year annual fee waiver and a range of complimentary insurance covers.
Well Home Loans Equity Plus
A review of Well Home Loans’ Equity Plus Home Loan. This is a loan for borrowers with 40% deposits or equity.
loans.com.au Green Home Loan
A detailed review of loans.com.au’s Green Home Loan. Discover the features and benefits of this green home loan.
Australian Unity Variable Health Wealth Happiness Package
A review of Australian Unity’s Variable Home Loan Health Wealth Happiness Package. Discover the features and benefits of this loan.
Nano Digital Home Loans variable loan
A review of Nano’s variable home loan. Learn more about this mortgage.
Mortgage House Fix and Save home loan
This fixed rate home loan offers the rare ability to make extra payments, allowing you to pay down your debt even faster.
Mortgage House Lifestyle First Refinancer Special
A review of Mortgage House’s Lifestyle First Refinancer Special home loan. Learn more about this loan.
Mortgage House Advantage Investment loan
A review of Mortgage House’s Advantage Investment home loan. Learn more about this loan.
Homestar Star Gold Variable home loan
Here’s our review of Homestar’s Star Gold Variable home loan, a low-rate loan well-suited to refinancers.
Ask an Expert