ANZ Home Insurance

Looking for cover to protect your assets? Compare two policies from ANZ that help safeguard your home and its contents.

If you're looking for insurance to protect your most valuable assets, ANZ provides cover for accidental breakage, theft, vandalism and more. This review explores what each policy covers, and what it excludes. does not currently have access to this home insurance brand. You may wish to compare options available on the home insurance homepage.

What options does ANZ Home Insurance offer?

Building insurance

Building insurance covers the physical structure of your property against a range of disasters and accidents. Events insured against include fire, broken glass, and damage from burglary, falling trees and branches, flood and power surge. There are also a number of additional benefits that help cover associated costs like travel cancellation, mortgage discharge fees and legal fees relating to an insured event.

Note that building insurance covers the structure and fixed furniture only, but not fixtures such as curtains, carpet and light shades.

Home & Contents insurance

Contents insurance only covers the contents of your home, not the structure itself. It is useful for those who do not own the building, including renters or people living in a strata complex. Home contents covers items like computers, furniture, mirrors and glassware, clothes, carpet and digital media. You may select optional portable contents cover, which will cover your possessions whether they are in your home or not.

You can also purchase building and contents insurance together as a home and contents package at a discounted rate.

What's covered under each policy?

ANZ Cover you for:Buildings OnlyHome & Contents
Full building replacement
  • yes
  • yes
New for old contents replacement, regardless of age
  • no
  • yes
Flood, bushfire and other natural events (automatically included in your policy). Policies do not cover loss or damage caused by a bushfire that occurs within 48 hours of the start of your policy.
  • yes
  • yes
Accidental breakage, theft and vandalism
  • yes
  • yes
Contents away from home, anywhere in the world
  • no
  • yes
Motor burnout (fusion). For example, if your freezer or air conditioner breaks down.
  • yes
  • yes

What does the comprehensive policy cover?

Here is what the top-level home and contents insurance with ANZ covers:

  • Full building replacement, including temporary accommodation, architects and legal fees, and demolition and debris removal costs
  • Cover against natural disasters, including floods, fire and earthquakes
  • Accidental glass breakage and impact damage
  • Electrical motor burnout and power surge
  • Worldwide portable contents cover
  • New for old replacement regardless of age
  • Accidental damage and loss for your contents
  • Theft of cash and belongings
  • Replacement lock and keys
  • Guest belongings
  • Storage costs

What are the exclusions?

Like all insurance products, there are a number of exclusions which are not covered by ANZ's home insurance. Each insured event has its conditions and maximum benefit limits. Here are some of the general exclusions for all ANZ home insurance products:

  • Any event that does not occur within your period of insurance
  • War or warlike activity, however, war does not need to be declared.
  • Hostilities, rebellion, insurrection or revolution.
  • Contamination or pollution by chemical, biological, radioactive or nuclear agents, which results from an act of terrorism.
  • Lawful damage, destruction or confiscation of your property.
  • Anything nuclear or radioactive.
  • Mildew, atmospheric or climatic conditions.
  • Damage to a heating element, however, ANZ will pay for any loss or damage resulting from damage to a heating element.
  • Storm surge, except where it happens at the same time as flood.
  • Erosion.
  • Action by the sea unless the loss or damage is the result of a tsunami.

For a full list of exclusions and conditions, ensure you read the product disclosure statement, to make sure ANZ’s home insurance is right for you.

How much excess will I need to pay?

You may choose how much excess you wish to pay. By increasing the excess, you can reduce the premium.

You only need to pay the excess once for each claim you make, regardless of the number of items or amount claimed. If your building and contents policies have a different amount of excess, you must pay the higher amount when making a claim on both policies.

If you are making a claim due to loss from an earthquake or tsunami, you must pay an additional $250 excess.

How can I make a claim?

You can make a claim 24/7 by contacting ANZ by phone. You should make your claim as soon as possible as delays may reduce the amount payable to you. To claim you may need any of the following:

  • Letters, notices or court documents
  • A police event report number
  • Contact details of other people involved in the claim
  • Proof of ownership
  • An inspection report of the building or contents
  • Quotes from a repairer

If you need to make emergency repairs, ANZ can help arrange this through their preferred repairers and suppliers.

Frequently asked questions about ANZ Home Insurance policies

Was this content helpful to you? No  Yes

Related Posts

Ask an Expert

You are about to post a question on

  • Do not enter personal information (eg. surname, phone number, bank details) as your question will be made public
  • is a financial comparison and information service, not a bank or product provider
  • We cannot provide you with personal advice or recommendations
  • Your answer might already be waiting – check previous questions below to see if yours has already been asked

Finder only provides general advice and factual information, so consider your own circumstances, read the PDS or seek advice before you decide to act on our content. By submitting a question, you're accepting our Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy.
Ask a question
Go to site