Finder makes money from featured partners, but editorial opinions are our own.

QBE Home Insurance review

Looking for loads of options? QBE Home Insurance has exactly that.

3.9 ★★★★★ (39 reviews) Write a review

QBE Home & Contents Insurance

QBE Home & Contents Insurance logo image
  • Green Insurer of the Year 2023
  • Get up to 20% off your policy
  • Cover for rebuilding with environmental upgrades
Learn more

Our Verdict

  • It's the winner of Finder's Green Insurer of the Year 2023.
  • It comes with up to $30,000,000 legal liability cover – that's more than Budget Direct, Virgin, Westpac and Qantas.
  • The cheapest way to pay is annually – it'll cost you more if you want to pay monthly.

Green Insurer of the Year 2023

As part of the Finder Green Awards, we are pleased to announce QBE as our Green Insurer of the Year. It is clear that QBE is an insurance business taking their sustainability efforts seriously. Notably, the company is sourcing more than 60% of their electricity from renewable sources, as well as committing to numerous external benchmarks such as CDP and DJSI.

Finder green awards 2023

Get up to 20% off your first year's premium with QBE Building and Contents Insurance

Discount is made up of a 10% online discount, and a further 10% for buying a combined policy. T&Cs apply.

Compare QBE Home Insurance

Name Product Building Cover Contents Cover Fire, Storm & Theft Damage Sum Insured Safeguard Online Discount Cheapest way to pay
Green CompanyBonus
QBE Home & Contents Insurance
Our verdict: Finder's Top Pick for Floods plus cover for other common claims such as fire and theft). Its discount is better than most – 20% off your first year with a combined policy.
Green Company
QBE Home Insurance
Our verdict: It covers essentials such as fire and theft plus comes with some good perks such as environmental upgrades and up to 10% off your first year.
Green Company
QBE Contents Insurance
Our verdict: It covers essentials such as fire and theft plus comes with some good perks such as security upgrades after a burglary and up to 10% off your first year.

What does QBE Home Insurance cover?

QBE offers 3 home insurance policies: Home and Contents Insurance, Home Insurance and Contents Insurance.

Here are some of the main insured events you'll be covered for by a QBE Home Insurance policy:

All policies come with a basic excess, which you'll need to pay whenever you make a claim, and a cooling off period of 21 days. Cancel within this timeframe and you'll receive a full refund if you haven't made a claim on your policy.

Here's a breakdown of QBE Home Insurance features

Check icon

Standard features

Here are the 18 standard features that QBE can cover you for if something damages or destroys your home or its contents. For instance, if a storm (insured event) damages your home, you could claim for emergency temporary repairs (feature).
  • Emergency temporary repairs
  • Temporary accommodation costs
  • Temporary storage of contents
  • Improved security
  • Environmental upgrades – contents
  • Environmental upgrades – building
  • Data or software
  • Monitored alarm attendance – burglary
  • Emergency services attendance
  • Mortgage discharge
  • External door and window locks
  • Food spoilage
  • Forced evacuation by government authority
  • Cover when you move house
  • Contents in transit to your new residence
  • Contents included in the purchase of your new residence
  • Building materials awaiting installation
  • Damage by emergency services

plus icon

Optional add-ons

QBE only offers 2 optional add-ons:
  • Accidental damage
  • Portable contents

cross icon


There are certain circumstances under which your claim will not be paid; these are referred to as exclusions. Some examples include:
  • Intentional, reckless or fraudulent acts
  • Illegal activity
  • Wear, tear, depreciation and rust
  • Rising damp, seepage, mould or mildew
  • Gradual deterioration
  • Actions of the sea
  • Operation of law, war, nuclear material or terrorism
You can find the full list of exclusions in QBE's product disclosure statement (PDS).

Here's QBE Home Insurance complaints review

We looked at home insurance complaint data from the Australian Financial Complaints Authority (AFCA) between July 2022 and June 2023. The data breaks down different underwriters and compares their business size to the number of complaints processed.

When comparing insurers, keep in mind that insurers with a larger market share serve more customers, so can potentially get more complaints.

Here's an overview of how QBE Insurance (Australia) Limited did:

  • It received a smaller number of complaints compared to St. George which is a similarly sized firm.
  • While QBE had a smaller number of complaints come through in this period, it didn't resolve as many complaints directly with customers in comparison to other insurers.

Bottom line about QBE Home Insurance

QBE Home Insurance comes with more standard features than many other insurers, including Budget Direct and Virgin, and was awarded our Green Insurer of 2021 award, but it doesn't have the strongest complaints record.

To compare QBE Home Insurance policies side-by-side with other providers, you can head here.

I want QBE Home Insurance

Why you can trust Finder's home insurance experts


We're free

You pay the same as buying directly from the home insurer. Better still, we regularly run exclusive deals that you won't find on any other site – plus, our tables make it easy to compare policies.
expert advice

We're experts

We've researched and rated dozens of policies as part of our Finder Awards. We provide unique insights and our in-house experts regularly appear on Sunrise, 7News and SBS News.

We're independent

Unlike other comparison sites, we're not owned by an insurer. That means our opinions are our own and we work with lots of home insurance brands, making it easier for you to find a good deal.

We're here to help

Since 2014, we've helped 150,000+ people find home insurance by explaining your cover options simply and clearly. We'll never ask for your number or email. We're here to help you make a decision.

Frequently asked questions

More guides on Finder

Ask a Question

You are about to post a question on

  • Do not enter personal information (eg. surname, phone number, bank details) as your question will be made public
  • is a financial comparison and information service, not a bank or product provider
  • We cannot provide you with personal advice or recommendations
  • Your answer might already be waiting – check previous questions below to see if yours has already been asked

Finder only provides general advice and factual information, so consider your own circumstances, or seek advice before you decide to act on our content. By submitting a question, you're accepting our 1. Terms Of Service and 6. Finder Group Privacy & Cookies Policy.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

2 Responses

    Default Gravatar
    MalNovember 27, 2023

    do you have shop fronts?

Go to site