Compare Australian credit cards side by side to find the right card for you.
Looking for the best credit card in Australia? With so many products available, there isn’t one card that is right for every person. But thinking about the features you want, your spending habits and your financial history can help you compare your options and find the best credit card for you.
0% p.a. for 22 months on balance transfers
Annual fee refund when you meet the minimum spend
Offer ends 31 December 2019
Eligibility criteria, terms and conditions, fees and charges apply
HSBC Credit Card Offer
A platinum card offering 0% interest on balance transfers for 22 months with no balance transfer fee. Plus, an annual fee refund each year when you spend $6,000 on eligible purchases.
- $129 p.a. annual fee.
- 19.99% p.a. on purchases
- 0% p.a. for 22 months with 0% BT fee on balance transfers
- Cash advance rate of 21.99% p.a.
- Up to 55 days interest free
- Minimum income requirement of $40,000 p.a.
Compare some of the best credit cards
*The credit card offers compared on this page are chosen from a range of credit cards available to us and are not representative of all the products available in the market. The use of the terms "best" and "top" are not product ratings and are subject to our disclaimer. There is no perfect order or perfect ranking system for the products we list on our Site, so we provide you with the functionality to self-select, re-order and compare products. The initial display order is influenced by a range of factors including conversion rates, product costs and commercial arrangements, so please don't interpret the listing order as an endorsement or recommendation from us. We're happy to provide you with the tools you need to make better decisions, but we'd like you to make your own decisions and compare and assess products based on your own preferences, circumstances and needs.
Finder's best credit cards picks
- Citi Clear Platinum card. Save with a $0 first year annual fee and a low 14.99% p.a. purchase rate.
- Qantas American Express Ultimate Card. Get 120,000 bonus Qantas Points and travel in style with complimentary lounge passes.
- Bankwest Breeze Classic Mastercard. Promotional 0% p.a. balance transfer for 6 months.
- American Express Velocity Platinum Card. Earn 50,000 bonus Velocity Points, get status credits, lounge passes and insurance.
- Westpac Low Rate Card. A 16-month balance transfer card with a low $59 annual fee.
- Qantas Premier Platinum. Earn up to 120,000 bonus Qantas Points and save with a $199 first year annual fee.
- ME frank credit card. Offers $0 annual fee, 11.99% p.a. purchase interest rate and up to 55 interest-free days.
VIDEO: How to choose the best credit card
What is the best credit card for me?
To choose the right credit card, you need to look at how you plan to use it, your current financial situation and your future goals. That way you can compare different features and benefits based on your circumstances.
For example, if you want a credit card that offers rewards and perks, look at frequent flyer cards or at platinum and black options. If you want a card to help you manage your expenses, compare 0% purchase, balance transfer or low rate cards. You can use these guides to discover the types of cards available, who they're suited to and how to find the ideal one for you.
What type of credit card are you looking for?
0% balance transfer credit cards
- What are they? You can use a balance transfer credit card to pay off existing debt faster with a low or 0% interest rate for an introductory period.
- Who are these cards suited to? Those who have an existing credit, store or charge card debt that's being charged interest at a higher rate than necessary.
How can I find the best balance transfer credit card?
- Compare balance transfer offers. Most offers give you a 0% interest rate for an introductory period, so you'll need to look at how many months this rate applies and what interest rate is charged at the end of it.
- Check for fees. As well as the annual fee, check to see if a one-time balance transfer fee will apply and make sure it doesn't outweigh the potential savings.
finder.com.au's pick for balance transfers: Virgin Australia Velocity Flyer Card - Balance transfer offer
This Virgin Australia Velocity Flyer card offers 0% interest on transferred balances for up to 22 months. A 1% balance transfer fee applies. After the introductory period ends, any unpaid balances will attract the cash advance rate. You can also save $65 with a reduced first-year annual fee of $64 when you apply by 02 December 2019 (annual fee reverts to $129 per year thereafter).
Frequent flyer & rewards credit cards
- What are they? Frequent flyer and rewards credit cards give you a way to earn points on your everyday purchases to redeem for travel, merchandise, experiences and more.
- Who are these cards suited to? Frequent flyer and rewards members who pay off the balance of their credit card each month and want to earn points for their spending.
How can I find the best frequent flyer credit or rewards card?
- What program/s do you want to earn points for? As well as Qantas Frequent Flyer and Velocity Frequent Flyer credit cards, you can look at cards that earn bank or credit card rewards points as well, such as American Express Membership Rewards or Westpac Altitude Rewards cards.
- Compare the earn rate. This is the number of points you earn per $1 spent on eligible purchases. Check if there's a cap on how many points you can earn each month or each year and whether that will limit your points potential.
- Other valuable features. Are there any bonus points on offer, complimentary insurance covers, status credits, airport lounge passes or an annual fee waiver?
finder.com.au's pick for Qantas Points: Qantas Premier Platinum
The Qantas Premier Platinum card boasts one of the biggest bonus Qantas Points offers on the market right now. You'll score 120,000 bonus Qantas Points when you apply for a new Qantas Premier Platinum credit card and spend $1,500 on eligible purchases each month for the first 6 months. This card charges a $199 first-year annual fee, followed by $299 p.a. thereafter.
finder.com.au's pick for Velocity Points: American Express Velocity Platinum card
The American Express Velocity Platinum card offers 50,000 Velocity Points when you apply, are approved and spend $3,000 on eligible purchases within the first 3 months from card approval. This card also boasts two complimentary single entry passes to Virgin Australia lounges and a complimentary domestic return flight with Virgin Australia. These perks come at the cost of a $375 annual fee.
Low cost credit cards
- What are they? These credit cards offer a lower interest rate on purchases, whether promotional or otherwise, and lower fees when compared to other cards.
- Who are these cards suited to? If you plan to pay off purchases over time and want to keep your interest charges to a minimum, a low cost, low fee credit card could be a good option.
How can I find the best low cost credit card for me?
- Compare the interest rates. The lower the purchase rate, the better. Remember to look at the standard rate charged for purchases, as well as any introductory interest rate offers.
- Look at fees and other features. Weigh the card's annual fee against the potential savings you'll get from the low purchase rate and consider any other perks such as complimentary insurance or concierge services.
finder.com.au's pick for a low cost credit card: St.George Vertigo Visa Card - Exclusive offer
Apply for the St.George Vertigo Visa Card through finder.com.au by 12 February 2020 and you'll save with a 0% interest rate on purchases for the first 14 months. Any remaining balance after the introductory period will be charged at the variable purchase rate, currently at 13.99% p.a. When you apply through Finder by this date, you can also save with a reduced $0 annual fee for the first year ($55 p.a. thereafter).
Get more value from a credit card by comparing the latest offers and applying now. Or get in touch with our customer service team if you want to know more!