Compare Bankwest credit cards with balance transfer offers, rewards, no annual fee and premium benefits. Plus find one of the lowest Mastercard purchase rates in Australia*.
Bankwest credit cards offer something for both big spenders and the cost-conscious, with competitive rates and fees, as well as reward and frequent flyer cards. Its premium credit cards also feature complimentary extras that will appeal to shoppers and travellers alike.
Use this guide to compare Bankwest credit cards and offers based on the features and fees. We also look at some of the benefits of getting a credit card with Bankwest and how to apply so that it's easy for you to get your next credit card when you want it.
0% p.a. for 13 months on balance transfers
with a one-time 2% balance transfer fee
Eligibility criteria, terms and conditions, fees and charges apply
Bankwest Credit Card Offer
Enjoy a long-term introductory rate on purchases and balance transfers combined with interest-free days and a low annual fee.
- $79 p.a. annual fee.
- 12.99% p.a. on purchases
- 0.00% p.a. for 13 months with 2% BT fee on balance transfers
- Cash advance rate of 21.99% p.a.
- Up to 55 days interest free
Compare Bankwest Credit Cards
Types of Bankwest Credit Cards
The range of Bankwest credit cards include low rate, no annual fee, rewards, frequent flyer and business options. There are also premium platinum and World Mastercard options that provide additional perks for eligible cardholders, such as complimentary insurance and no international transaction fees.
Balance transfer credit cards
When you transfer your existing credit card balance to a new Bankwest credit card with a balance transfer offer, you can get an introductory low or 0% p.a. interest rate on the debt. This allows you to save money on interest charges and pay down your debt faster during the introductory period. After that, a standard variable interest rate will apply to any debt remaining from the transfer. See our step-by-step guide on how to conduct a balance transfer with Bankwest for further information.
Low rate credit cards
Bankwest low rate credit cards offer a low, ongoing variable interest rate on purchases. If you carry a balance from month-to-month, this low rate can help you save money on interest charges when compared to regular credit cards.
No annual fee credit cards
If you don't use your card regularly or want to cut down on card costs, you may want to consider a Bankwest credit card with no annual fee. This type of card is designed to offer affordable access to credit by not charging a yearly account fee. However, as these cards come with higher interest rates than other Bankwest products, you might want to consider a low rate card if you're partial to carrying your balance.
Rewards credit cards
Bankwest rewards credit cards let you earn Bankwest More Rewards points on all eligible purchases. You can then redeem these points for rewards such as travel, gift cards and merchandise from the Bankwest More Rewards store. Rewards credit cards usually come with higher annual fees, so make sure you're taking advantage of the perks to help offset the cost of the card.
Frequent flyer credit cards
Bankwest frequent flyer credit cards earn you Qantas Points on all your eligible purchases, with Classic, Platinum and World Mastercard accounts available. Depending on the card you choose, you could also enjoy additional benefits such as free worldwide emergency card replacement, complimentary travel insurance and no foreign transaction fees on overseas purchases.
Business credit cards
Bankwest offers a range of business credit cards designed to suit different needs, with features ranging from interest-free days, low rates and low annual fees to rewards programs. There are also options to get additional cards for your employees. Learn more about the benefits of using a Bankwest business credit card in this guide.
The benefits of banking with Bankwest
Some of the benefits of getting a credit card from Bankwest include:
As well as using Bankwest ATMs for free, you can also withdraw cash at any Commonwealth Bank Group ATM without attracting an ATM fee. There’s also an ATM in every 7/11 in Australia, meaning you should never have too much trouble accessing your cash. Note that using an ATM to get money with a credit card will attract cash advance fees and charges.
Bankwest Platinum and World credit cards — no overseas transaction fee
If you're a frequent traveller or often shop online, you could take advantage of the 0% international transaction and ATM withdrawal fees available with a Bankwest Platinum or World credit card.
Worldwide emergency card replacement
Whether you're shopping in Australia or overseas, you'll have the peace of mind of Bankwest's emergency worldwide card replacement. If your card is lost or stolen, call Bankwest and they will block your card and arrange for a new one to be sent out to you.
Flexibility of rewards
Bankwest credit cards give you the choice of earning Bankwest More Rewards or Qantas Points on every dollar you spend on eligible purchases. You can then use these reward points to redeem flights or other travel, as well as products and experiences across categories including fashion, technology, homewares, food and wine and entertainment.
How to apply for a Bankwest credit card
If you're interested in getting a Bankwest credit card, you can compare your options here to find one that suits your needs. Then, just click the "Go to Site" link and you'll be taken to a secure online application. The application should only take around 15 minutes to complete and you should get a response from Bankwest moments after submitting your application.
Before you apply, make sure you meet the eligibility requirements and have the necessary documents on hand.
There are some basic eligibility requirements you need to meet to apply for a Bankwest credit card. We’ve listed the application criteria on each card’s review page, with requirements including:
- Age. You must be at least 18 years old.
- Income and credit history. You'll need to earn a regular income, meet a minimum annual income requirement and have a good credit rating.
- Basic personal information. You need to provide some basic information about yourself, like your residential address, date of birth and contact details.
- Identification. New Bankwest accounts holders will need to provide at least two of the following forms of identification: Driver’s licence, Medicare card, passport or birth certificate.
- Financial details. If you work for an employer, you may have to provide your two most recent payslips, and if you’re a new Bankwest customer, you have to show bank statements for the last three months. If you’re self-employed you have to show your two most recent Notice of Assessments from the tax office. You’re also required to provide information about your other income, assets, ongoing expenses and liabilities.
What happens next?
Once the online application has been completed you will receive a reference number which can be quoted for any application inquiries with Bankwest. Bankwest may contact your employer or accountant to verify your current employment status. You may be required to provide some more details including income verification and original ID. Bankwest will get in touch to advise you within 10 working days. For any further inquiries please contact Bankwest via the "Contact Us" tab on their website and quote your reference number.
Frequently asked questions
If you want to know more about Bankwest credit cards, check out these answers to frequently asked questions. You can also ask us a question by using the form at the bottom of the page.
What’s the right Bankwest credit card?
The right card will depend on your financial situation, eligibility and financial goals. Consider the eligibility requirements of the card as well as the features and fees to determine which type of card is suitable for your situation.
Should I get a Bankwest card with perks?
This depends on how you plan to use the card. If you won't regularly use the perks and are paying a higher annual fee for them, then you may want to consider a different option. When comparing Bankwest credit cards, think about your spending habits and needs, then weigh up the value of the perks against potential costs such as the annual fee and interest charges to decide if it's the right option for you.
Do I get benefits if I pay off my Bankwest card every month
If you can pay back your balance in full each month, you will be able to take advantage of the interest-free days available for eligible purchases. Note that interest-free days are not available with all Bankwest credit cards (particularly business options), so make sure you check the features of individual products before choosing a card.
Can I conduct a balance transfer with Bankwest?
If you're carrying an existing high-interest debt with a non-Bankwest credit card, you can move your balance to a Bankwest card that offers a low promotional interest rate. At the end of the introductory period, the balance transfer interest rate will revert to a higher standard rate for any remaining debt. See our how to conduct a balance transfer with Bankwest guide for further information.
How can I earn frequent flyer points with a Bankwest credit card
Bankwest Qantas Mastercard accounts allow you to earn Qantas Frequent Flyer points for your everyday spending. You'll need to have an existing account with Qantas and link it with your Bankwest credit card to earn these points. Please note that you can only earn reward points on eligible purchases (excluding balance transfers, cash advances and gambling transactions).
How do I know I’m eligible for a Bankwest credit card?
Read our Bankwest credit card review pages to find out whether you’re eligible to apply for a Bankwest credit card. There are some common application requirements for all credit cards, these include:
Have a good credit rating. You can find out whether you have any default listings on your credit file by ordering a copy of your credit report.
- Be over the age of 18.
- Be a permanent Australian resident.
There is also a minimum income requirement. This is different for each card. You can find further information on our Bankwest credit card review pages.
What information will I need for a Bankwest credit card application?
Documentation requirements differ depending on your employment status.
- Employed. If you’re a new Bankwest customer, you must provide two most recent payslips showing your account details and transaction history. If you’re an existing Bankwest customer, you must provide your Bankwest account statement showing your salary payments for the past three months.
- Self-employed. If you’re self-employed, you must provide your last two Notices of Assessment from the Australian Tax Office (ATO).
- Retired. If you get income from a Self Managed Super Fund (SMSF) or managed fund, you must provide tax returns from the last financial year and your most recent superannuation statement showing regular payments from the fund. If you get a pension, you must show your most recent pension statement.
- Rental income. You must provide a rental tenancy agreement and a monthly rental income statement.
These documents can be faxed or emailed to Bankwest and in most cases, the documents must have been issued within 18 months of your Bankwest credit card application.
What happens after I apply for a Bankwest credit card?
Once you submit your online application for a Bankwest credit card, you will be contacted by email confirming the status of your credit card application.
You may be conditionally approved, approved in full or declined for a Bankwest credit card. If you’re conditionally approved for the card, you may need to provide Bankwest with additional information like financial statements.
The email with the application confirmation also has your application reference number. You can quote this number to a Bankwest representative if you need to check up on the status of your credit card application.
Can I do a balance transfer if I already have a Bankwest credit card?
Although there are balance transfer offers available to existing Bankwest credit cardholders, the balance transfer introductory rates you see advertised are for new customers only. If you’re an existing Bankwest customer and you’re eligible for a balance transfer, Bankwest will contact you directly with details of the offer.
How do I ask for a credit limit increase on my Bankwest credit card?
When you apply for a Bankwest credit card, you will be assigned a credit limit. This is how much money Bankwest is willing to give you on your credit card. You can change your credit limit at any time after you get your credit card from Bankwest.
- Credit limit increase. If you would like to request a credit limit increase on your Bankwest credit card, for whatever reason, give Bankwest a call, download a credit limit increase application form or visit a Bankwest branch to apply. Bankwest looks at your income and your expenses when they assign your credit limit. If you accepted the maximum credit limit when you first applied for the credit card and your circumstances have not changed, it’s unlikely that you will be given more credit if you apply for a limit increase. When you apply for a credit limit increase, a credit enquiry mark is recorded on your credit file.
- Credit limit decrease. The same way you can request a credit limit increase, you can also request a credit limit decrease. This will reduce the amount of available credit you have on your credit card.
See our guide on how to request a credit limit increase for further information.
How do I get a second card for a family member?
You can add up to three additional cardholders to your Bankwest credit card account. Each cardholder must be over the age of 16. You can add an additional cardholder to your account when you apply for the credit card or you can complete and send in a Bankwest additional cardholder request form.
If the additional cardholder is not already a Bankwest customer, they will need to verify their identity before a supplementary card can be issued. Please note that, as the primary cardholder, you'll be responsible for all transactions made on your additional cards.
How much do I need to pay off my card each month?
The minimum payment is $20 or 2% of the closing balance, whichever is greater. If you don't meet this minimum repayment, you'll be charged a late payment fee.
Please note that if you only pay the minimum repayment amount each month, your remaining balances will start collecting interest. If you want to avoid interest and take advantage of interest-free days on future purchases, you'll need to pay your balance in full.
How do I pay my Bankwest credit card?
You have a few options when making repayments with Bankwest:
- BPAY: You can make payments to your Bankwest credit card from another financial institution’s internet banking facility using BPAY. Enter the Bankwest BPAY Biller Code: 9100 and use your credit card number as the reference number. It may take between three and five business days for the BPAY payment to be processed by the bank, so make sure you allow for the time it takes for the transaction to be processed when you’re making a payment to your Bankwest credit card.
- Direct Debit. Set up a direct debit from a transaction or savings account to automatically transfer money to your Bankwest credit card. You can choose to pay just the minimum amount, the statement balance, account balance or a fixed amount. To set up direct debit for your Bankwest credit card, fill in a direct debit request form. The form is available from on the Bankwest website.
- At a branch. You can pay your Bankwest credit card in person at a Bankwest branch.
- Cheque. You can post a cheque to Bankwest for your payment. If you receive paper statements, your statement will be sent in a reusable reply paid envelope to allow you to send a cheque. Just make sure you leave enough time for the cheque to be posted and processed before the due date on your statement.
- Online banking. If you have a Bankwest transaction account, you can make a payment via the Bankwest Online Banking service. This is available for both computers and mobile devices.
Can I go over my credit limit?
To avoid any potential embarrassment on your part if your transaction is refused, Bankwest will sometimes approve transactions that are over your agreed limit. The decision is based on how you manage your credit card account and any risks that Bankwest identifies.
If you don't want to use this option, you can opt out of exceeding your credit limit by contacting Bankwest directly. If you regularly go over your credit limit, you may want to consider requesting a credit limit increase.
Can I use my Bankwest credit card overseas?
Bankwest credit cards can be used wherever Mastercard is accepted, including tens of millions of stores, online merchants and ATMs around the world. When you use your credit card overseas, there’s usually an international transaction fee. This fee is waived on Bankwest Platinum and World credit cards.
You may also be charged a cash advance fee and local ATM operator fee if you make a cash withdrawal using your Bankwest credit card.
How do I close or cancel my Bankwest credit card?
If you have paid your account in full you can cancel your Bankwest credit card at any time. Call a Bankwest customer service representative on 13 17 19 and they will be able to guide you through the process. See our guide on how to cancel a credit card for tips on closing your account successfully without hurting your credit score.
What is the history of Bankwest?
Bankwest began as an agricultural bank in Western Australia in 1895, and has since grown to become a leader in Australian banking. It now serves more than 1.1 million personal and business customers around the country. Bankwest is also a division of the Commonwealth Bank of Australia.