Compare Bankwest credit cards to find one of the cheapest MasterCard purchase interest rates in Australia*. Bankwest offers low rate, no annual fee and rewards credit cards with gold and platinum benefits available.
From humble beginnings as the agricultural bank of Western Australia, Bankwest is now a leader in Australian banking. In 2008, Bankwest joined one of the largest financial services issuers in the country, the Commonwealth Bank — meaning you can make free ATM withdrawals at any Commonwealth Bank ATM with your Bankwest credit card. Whether you’re looking for a credit card to use at home or overseas, Bankwest credit cards offer something for big spenders and the cost-conscious alike, and their platinum credit cards are sure to tickle the fancy of international travellers, too.
Use the comparison table for a list of available Bankwest offers and arrange the cards by their fees and features to find the right product for you.
Comparison of Bankwest Credit Cards
Rates last updated December 11th, 2016.
- Bankwest More MasterCard
Interest-free days from 55 days to 44 days
June 21st, 2016
- Bankwest More Platinum MasterCard
Interest-free period changed from 55 days to 44 days.
June 21st, 2016
- Bankwest Breeze MasterCard
New offer of $0 annual fee in the first year + a low ongoing purchase rate of 8.99% p.a.
August 1st, 2016
Types of Bankwest Credit Cards
With low rate, no annual fee, rewards, frequent flyer and business credit cards to choose from, Bankwest are likely to have a credit card to suit your needs. Each different type of credit card has a classic, gold and platinum product with fees and features to match their status. When you apply for a Bankwest credit card, like the Breeze MasterCard or the Zero MasterCard, Bankwest look at your financial details to see which credit card level you’re eligible for: standard, gold or platinum.
Balance transfer credit cards
Bankwest regularly provides low-interest balance transfer credit card offers to help Australians save when repaying their credit card debt. When you transfer your existing credit card balance to a new Bankwest credit card you will pay lower interest charges for a promotional period, meaning you can pay down your debt without the burden of extra interest before the offer ends. See our step-by-step guide on how to conduct a balance transfer with Bankwest for further information.
Low rate credit cards
You can save on standard interest costs with a low rate Bankwest credit card. Even if you carry a balance from month to month, you'll save with an ongoing interest rate that is much more competitive than most other credit cards. However, if you do manage to pay your balance in full before the end of the statement period, you can save further with up to 55 interest-free days on purchases.
No annual fee credit cards
If you don't use your card regularly or want to cut your standard card costs, a Bankwest credit card with no annual fee could come in handy. With no annual fee for the life of the card, you won't ever have to worry about paying this yearly fee. However, as these cards come with higher interest rates than other Bankwest products, you might want to consider a low rate card if you're partial to carrying your balance from month to month.
Rewards credit cards
Bankwest rewards credit cards let you earn Bankwest More Rewards points on all eligible purchases when you spend. With the option to earn up to 2 points per $1 spent, this is an easy way to get extra value from your credit card. You can then redeem these points for products and perks from the Bankwest More Rewards store ranging from beauty and fashion, food and wine to gift cards and vouchers, tech and gadgets or travel packages. These cards often come with additional perks including complimentary travel insurance, no foreign transaction fees and interest-free days. These cards usually come with a higher annual fee, though, so make sure you're taking advantage of the perks of the card to offset the cost of the card.
Frequent flyer credit cards
Bankwest's frequent flyer credit cards let cardholders earn Qantas Points on all eligible purchases. Directly debited into your linked Qantas frequent flyer account, you can earn up to 0.5 Qantas Points per $1 spent on both cards. You can also earn up to 50,000 bonus points with the Platinum card. While earning Qantas Points on everyday purchases is a convenient way for loyal Qantas flyers to clock up extra points, the cards do come with higher annual fees and interest rates, so make sure the value of the rewards outweigh these costs.
Business credit cards
A Bankwest business credit card could be useful if you're looking to manage your corporate and employee spending under one account. Depending on the card you choose, Bankwest business credit cards can come with interest-free days, low rates and low annual fees, rewards programs and options to add additional cardholders. Compare your options below to find a credit card that offers the features and fees to suit your business spending. Learn more about the benefits of using a Bankwest business credit card in this guide.
The benefits of banking with Bankwest
Bankwest credit cards offer a little more than a way to make payments. Some of the benefits of a Bankwest credit card include:
As well as using Bankwest ATMs for free, you can also withdraw cash for free at any Commonwealth Bank Group ATM. There’s an ATM in every 7/11 in Australia, meaning you should never have too much trouble accessing your cash.
Bankwest platinum credit cards — no overseas transaction fee
If you're a frequent traveller or often shop online, you could take advantage of the $0 international transaction and ATM withdrawal fees available with Bankwest Platinum credit cards.
Free worldwide emergency card replacement
Whether you're shopping in Australia or overseas, you'll have the peace of mind of Bankwest's emergency worldwide card replacement. If your card is lost or stolen, call Bankwest and they will block your card and arrange for a new one to be sent out free of charge.
Flexibility of rewards
Depending on which rewards Bankwest credit card you choose, you have the choice of earning Bankwest More Rewards or Qantas Points on every dollar you spend on eligible purchases. You can then use these reward points to redeem flights with Qantas as well as products and experiences across categories including fashion, technology, homewares, food and wine and entertainment.
How to apply for a Bankwest credit card
To apply for a Bankwest credit card, follow the 'Go to Site' link on this page to go to the Bankwest website and a secure online application. The application should only take up to fifteen minutes to complete and you should hear a response from Bankwest moments after submitting your application.
Before you apply, though, make sure you meet the eligibility requirements and have the necessary documents on hand.
There are some basic eligibility requirements you need to meet to apply for a Bankwest credit card, we’ve listed the application criteria on each card’s review page:
- Age. Applicants must be at least 18 years old.
- Residency. Bankwest only approves applicants with permanent Australian residency.
- Income and credit history. You'll need to earn a regular income, meet a minimum annual income requirement and have a good credit rating.
- Basic personal information. You need to provide some basic information about yourself, like your residential address, date of birth and contact details.
- Identification. New Bankwest accounts holders will need to provide at least two of the following forms of identification: Driver’s licence, Medicare card, passport or birth certificate.
- Financial details. If you work for an employer, you may have to provide your two most recent payslips, and if you’re a new Bankwest customer, you have to show bank statements for the last three months. If you’re self-employed you have to show your two most recent Notice of Assessments from the tax office. You’re also required to provide information about your other income, assets, ongoing expenses and liabilities.
What happens next?
Once the online application has been completed you will receive a reference number which can be quoted for any application inquiries with Bankwest. Bankwest may contact your employer or accountant to verify your current employment status. You may be required to provide some more details including income verification and original ID. Bankwest will get in touch to advise you within 10 working days. For any further inquiries please contact Bankwest via the 'Contact Us' tab on their website and quote your reference number.
Frequently asked questions
Do you have a question about a Bankwest credit card? See if your question has already been answered in the frequently asked questions section below or ask us a question using the form at the bottom of the page.
What’s the right Bankwest credit card?
There isn't one best* Bankwest credit card. Instead, the right card will depend on your financial situation, eligibility and financial goals. Consider the eligibility requirements of the card as well as the features and fees to determine which type of card is suitable for your situation.
Do you need the perks?
Whether or not you will carry a balance forward is a good way to help you find the ideal credit card. There’s no point paying a high annual fee for credit card extras and perks when you’re going to incur high-interest charges for carrying a balance.
Can you pay off your card every month?
Conversely, big spenders may want to look past Bankwest’s low rate products to a card with points. If you can pay back your balance in full each month, the interest-free days feature allows you to use the card for interest-free purchases.
Can I conduct a balance transfer with Bankwest?
If you're carrying an existing high-interest debt with a non-Bankwest credit card, you can move your balance to a Bankwest card with a low interest rate. See our how to conduct a balance transfer with Bankwest guide for further information.
How can I earn frequent flyer points with a Bankwest credit card
Bankwest currently offer two credit cards that let you earn Qantas Points on eligible purchases. You'll need to have an existing account with Qantas and link it with your Bankwest credit card to earn these points. Please note that you can only earn reward points on eligible purchases (excluding balance transfers, cash advances and gambling transactions).
How do I know I’m eligible for a Bankwest credit card?
Read our Bankwest credit card review pages to find out whether you’re eligible to apply for a Bankwest credit card. There are some common application requirements for all credit cards, these include:
Have a good credit rating. You can find out whether you have any default listings on your credit file by ordering a copy of your credit report.
- Be over the age of 18.
- Be a permanent Australian resident.
There is also a minimum income requirement. This is different for each card. You can find further information on our Bankwest credit card review pages.
What information will I need for a Bankwest credit card application?
Documentation requirements differ depending on your employment status.
- Employed. If you’re a new Bankwest customer, you must provide two most recent payslips showing your account details and transaction history. If you’re an existing Bankwest customer, you must provide your Bankwest account statement showing your salary payments for the past three months.
- Self-employed. If you’re self-employed, you must provide your last two Notices of Assessment from the Australian Tax Office (ATO).
- Retired. If you get income from a Self Managed Super Fund (SMSF) or managed fund, you must provide tax returns from the last financial year and your most recent superannuation statement showing regular payments from the fund. If you get a pension, you must show your most recent pension statement.
- Rental income. You must provide a rental tenancy agreement and a monthly rental income statement.
These documents can be faxed or emailed to Bankwest and in most cases, the documents must have been issued within 18 months of your Bankwest credit card application.
What happens after I apply for a Bankwest credit card?
Once you submit your online application for a Bankwest credit card, you will be contacted by email confirming the status of your credit card application.
You may be conditionally approved, approved in full or declined for a Bankwest credit card. If you’re conditionally approved for the card, you may need to provide Bankwest with additional information like financial statements.
The email with the application confirmation also has your application reference number. You can quote this number to a Bankwest representative if you need to check up on the status of your credit card application.
Can I do a balance transfer if I already have a Bankwest credit card?
Although there are balance transfer offers available to existing Bankwest credit cardholders, the balance transfer introductory rates you see advertised are for new customers only. If you’re an existing Bankwest customer and you’re eligible for a balance transfer, Bankwest will contact you directly with details of the offer.
How do I ask for a credit limit increase on my Bankwest credit card?
When you apply for a Bankwest credit card, you will be assigned a credit limit. This is how much money Bankwest is willing to give you on your credit card. You can change your credit limit at any time after you get your credit card from Bankwest.
- Credit limit increase. If you would like to request a credit limit increase on your Bankwest credit card, for whatever reason, give Bankwest a call, download a credit limit increase application form or visit a Bankwest branch to apply. Bankwest looks at your income and your expenses when they assign your credit limit. If you accepted the maximum credit limit when you first applied for the credit card and your circumstances have not changed, it’s unlikely that you will be given more credit if you apply for a limit increase. When you apply for a credit limit increase, a credit enquiry mark is recorded on your credit file.
- Credit limit decrease. The same way you can request a credit limit increase, you can also request a credit limit decrease. This will reduce the amount of available credit you have on your credit card.
See our guide on how to request a credit limit increase for further information.
How do I get a second card for a family member?
You can add up to three additional cardholders to your Bankwest credit card account. Each cardholder must be over the age of 16.
You can add an additional cardholder to your account when you apply for the credit card or you can complete and send in a Bankwest additional cardholder request form.
If the additional cardholder is not already a Bankwest customer, they will need to verify their identity before a supplementary card can be issued. Please note that, as the primary cardholder, you'll be responsible for all transactions made on your additional cards.
How much do I need to pay off my card each month?
The minimum payment is $20 or 2% of the closing balance, whichever is greater. If you don't meet this minimum repayment, you'll be charged a late payment fee.
Please note that if you only pay the minimum repayment amount each month, your remaining balances will start collecting interest. If you want to avoid interest and take advantage of interest-free days on future purchases, you'll need to pay your balance in full.
How do I pay my Bankwest credit card?
You have a few options when making repayments with Bankwest:
- BPAY: You can make payments to your Bankwest credit card from another financial institution’s internet banking facility using BPAY. Enter the Bankwest BPAY Biller Code: 9100 and use your credit card number as the reference number. It may take between three and five business days for the BPAY payment to be processed by the bank, so make sure you allow for the time it takes for the transaction to be processed when you’re making a payment to your Bankwest credit card.
- Direct Debit. Set up a direct debit from a transaction or savings account to automatically transfer money to your Bankwest credit card. You can choose to pay just the minimum amount, the statement balance, account balance or a fixed amount. You can complete and send in a Bankwest direct debit request form. The form is available from on the Bankwest website.
- At a branch. You can pay your Bankwest credit card in person at a Bankwest branch.
Can I go over my credit limit?
To avoid any potential embarrassment on your part if your transaction is refused, Bankwest will sometimes approve transactions over your agreed limit. The decision is based on how you manage your credit card account and any risks that Bankwest identifies. If you don't want to choice to go over your credit limit, which is a wise choice if you want to keep your finances in control, you have the option to opt out of exceeding your credit limit. You'll just need to contact Bankwest to notify them.
Can I use my Bankwest credit card overseas?
Bankwest credit cards can be used wherever Mastercard is accepted, including tens of millions of stores, online merchants and ATMs around the world. When you use your credit card overseas, there’s usually an international transaction fee. This fee is waived on all platinum Bankwest credit cards. You may also be charged a cash advance fee and local ATM operator fee if you make a cash withdrawal using your Bankwest credit card.
How do I close or cancel my Bankwest Credit Card?
If you have paid your account in full you can cancel your Bankwest credit card at any time. Call a Bankwest customer service representative and they will be able to guide you through the process. See our guide on how to cancel a credit card for tips on closing your account successfully without hurting your credit score.