Home insurance deals and discounts for January 2021
Spend less on essential cover by taking advantage of home and contents insurance deals
We’re reader-supported and may be paid when you visit links to partner sites. We don’t compare all products in the market, but we’re working on it!
Home insurance is a significant investment, but you can save considerably by looking for discounts before settling on a policy. Use these savings to purchase a higher level of cover and enjoy additional protection, or end up with more money in your pocket.
Compare home insurance special offers for January 2021
What other types of discounts can I get on home insurance?
Before choosing an insurer, check which of the following discounts you may be eligible for:
- Multi-policy discounts. By holding multiple insurance policies with an insurer, you can often get additional discounts on secondary policies, including combined or separate home and contents cover.
- Cheaper policies online. You can get a discount of up to 25% just for buying home insurance online.
- Membership and loyalty discounts and bonuses. Whether it’s free rewards for members, increased discounts at each policy renewal or straightforward reduced prices after a certain amount of time, you can save more money by sticking with the right insurer.
- Security system discounts. If your home is well secured, you don’t need to pay as much for cover.
- No-claims discounts. As with other types of insurance, you can receive a discount if you haven’t made a claim for a certain amount of time.
- Seniors’ discounts. Over 55s and pensioners can sometimes get a seniors’ discount.
How else can I save on cover?
Almost everyone can access home insurance discounts and there are many ways to save through careful policy management.
- Opt for a higher excess. Many insurers will let you choose lower premiums for a higher excess or vice versa.
- Avoid unnecessary claims. Maintain your no-claims bonus by avoiding small, non-essential claims. If you intend on doing this, you may want to opt for lower premiums and a higher excess.
- Consider your payment schedule. Consider what kind of payment schedule works for your budget. Paying your premiums annually is often cheaper than paying monthly. If you can’t pay your premium all at once, it’s worth looking for an insurer that offers monthly, fortnightly or other payment schedules at no extra cost.
- Good maintenance and weatherproofing. Many home insurance claims are the result of poor maintenance or not having an appropriately weatherproofed home. Reduce your chances of needing to make a claim and keep total costs down by making sure your home has suitable weatherproofing for your area and by fixing small problems before they become big ones.
- Choose the right sum insured. Your total sum insured is the amount you could claim if you lost everything. If it’s too low then you’re underinsured and if it’s too high then you’re paying too much. Choose the right amount for your needs and consider discounts as a way of either reducing costs or getting additional cover at the same price.
What types of home insurance policies can I get discounted?
The discounts available depend on the insurer and on any limited offers that are present at the time. Based on these factors, you can get deals on the following:
- Combined home and contents insurance. It’s usually more cost effective to bundle your home and contents insurance with the same provider. You can then find additional discounts for a combined home and contents insurance policy here.
- Building insurance or contents insurance. Sometimes it might be more effective to separate your building and contents insurance policies. When separated, you can get discounts for building-only insurance and deals for contents-only cover.
- Renters insurance. Discounts aren’t limited to homeowners. Renters can also find ways to spend less on cover.
- Landlord insurance. Landlords can save too and enjoy many of the same deals on home and contents insurance policies.
By looking for deals and discounts, you don’t leave yourself unprotected. Almost everyone, no matter what their living situation or insurance needs, can find discounts for their home insurance. If you’re paying full price for your cover, it might be time for a change.
Get the latest home insurance news
More guides on Finder
Finder Daily Deals: The 5 best online deals in Australia today
Today's best Finder Daily deals include: 50% off car essentials at Catch, half-price meat thermometers, eBay Plus tech sale.
Porsche 911 car insurance
Want to insure a Porsche 911? Here are things we think you should know.
Mercedes-Benz G-Class luxury car insurance
Find out about how to insure the luxury Mercedes-AMG G 63 4x4 SUV.
10 weeks until HomeBuilder ends: Is it too late to apply?
More than 75,000 people have applied for HomeBuilder, far more than the government expected. Is it too late to apply now?
Westpac Altitude Platinum Qantas – Existing customer offer
With bonus Qantas Points and a range of complimentary insurance covers, the Westpac Altitude Platinum - Qantas is worth considering if you want more frequent flyer points.
Cheap campervan hire
Catch the latest deals for cheap campervan hire in Australia. Brands include Hippie Campers, Jucy and Spaceships.
Port Stephens hotels | Where to stay in the sandy beaches north of Sydney
Compare Port Stephens hotels, find the best sites to book them and get the latest coupon codes and deals to save on your stay.
Kiama hotels | Where to stay in the coastal town south of Sydney
Compare Kiama hotels, find the best sites to book them and get the latest coupon codes and deals to save on your stay.
Fast and furious: 73% of Aussies have fallen victim to a road rage incident
Engines aren’t the only thing overheating on the roads this summer – our tempers are too, according to new research by Finder, Australia’s most visited comparison site.
Used car values: what helps a car retain its value?
Gumtree reveals data that could help used and new car buyers save money
Ask an Expert