Save up to 20% on a combined home & contents policy from Australian Seniors
Home insurance is a significant investment, but you can save a tonne of cash by looking for discounts before settling on a policy. You could use these savings to take out a higher level of cover and get additional protection, or end up with more money in your pocket.
Compare home insurance special offers for December 2023
What other types of discounts can I get on home insurance?
Before choosing an insurer, check which of the following discounts you may be eligible for:
- Multi-policy discounts. By holding multiple insurance policies with an insurer, you can often get additional discounts on secondary policies, including combined or separate home and contents cover.
- Cheaper policies online. You can get a discount of up to 15% just for buying home insurance online.
- Security system discounts. If your home is well secured, you don’t need to pay as much for cover.
- No-claims discounts. As with other types of insurance, you can sometimes receive a discount if you haven’t made a claim for a certain amount of time.
- Seniors’ discounts. Over 55s and pensioners can sometimes get a seniors’ discount.
How else can I save on cover?
Discounts aren't the only way you save on your home insurance. You can:
- Opt for a higher excess. Most insurers will lower premiums in exchange for a higher excess.
- Avoid unnecessary claims. By avoiding small, non-essential claims, your premiums won't go up.
- Pay annually. This is often cheaper than paying monthly. If you can’t pay your premium all at once, it’s worth looking for an insurer that offers monthly, fortnightly or other payment schedules at no extra cost.
- Good maintenance and weatherproofing. Many home insurance claims are the result of poor maintenance or not having an appropriately weatherproofed home. Reduce your chances of needing to make a claim and keep total costs down by making sure your home has suitable weatherproofing for your area and by fixing small problems before they become big ones.
- Choose the right sum insured. Your total sum insured is the amount you could claim if you lost everything. If it’s too low then you’re underinsured and if it’s too high then you’re paying too much. Choose the right amount for your needs and consider discounts as a way of either reducing costs or getting additional cover at the same price.
What types of home insurance policies can I get discounted?
The discounts available depend on the insurer and on any limited offers that are present at the time. Based on these factors, you can get deals on the following:
- Combined home and contents insurance. It’s usually more cost effective to bundle your home and contents insurance with the same provider. You can then find additional discounts for a combined home and contents insurance policy here.
- Building insurance or contents insurance. Sometimes it might be more effective to separate your building and contents insurance policies. When separated, you can get discounts for building-only insurance and deals for contents-only cover.
- Renters insurance. Discounts aren’t limited to homeowners. Renters can also find ways to spend less on cover.
- Landlord insurance. Landlords can save too and enjoy many of the same deals on home and contents insurance policies.
By looking for deals and discounts, you don’t leave yourself unprotected. Almost everyone, no matter what their living situation or insurance needs, can find discounts for their home insurance. If you’re paying full price for your cover, it might be time for a change.
Why you can trust Finder's home insurance experts
You pay the same as buying directly from the home insurer. Better still, we regularly run exclusive deals that you won't find on any other site – plus, our tables make it easy to compare policies.
Unlike other comparison sites, we're not owned by an insurer. That means our opinions are our own and we work with lots of home insurance brands, making it easier for you to find a good deal.
Since 2014, we've helped 150,000+ people find home insurance by explaining your cover options simply and clearly. We'll never ask for your number or email. We're here to help you make a decision.
We're here to help
Get the latest home insurance news
Millions of Australians within close proximity to bushland are unprepared for a horror summer, according to new research by Finder.Read more…
More guides on Finder
The best standing desk in Australia: Our top choice of the year
If you're looking for a standing desk for the home office, the Omnidesk Ascent is our #1 choice for 2023.
Fast NBN plans are now cheaper. Is it worth switching?
It's time to sort out your NBN plan for the new year.
Save $1,583 a year by using index funds instead of active trading | Dollar Saver tip #60
Invest in an index fund instead of actively trading stocks and you not only save on time and fees, you could be earning more in returns too.
5 perks you can score by upgrading your internet this year
SPONSORED: Upgrade your internet before the end of 2023 and get ahead on your life admin! We take a look at some of the benefits of a faster internet connection.
Aussies are struggling to save money, and Gen Z blame themselves
Young Australians cite overspending as the main reason for not reaching their financial goals.
Shein IPO: How to invest in the Shein IPO
What you need to know about investing in Shein from Australia.
Best places to exchange currency in Brisbane
Your guide to currency exchange in Brisbane, including how to get the best exchange rate.
Waiting for rates to fall? Don’t bank on it, says ANZ CEO
Addressing speculation that interest rates might fall in late-2024, ANZ CEO Shayne Elliott said he thought it was too optimistic.
Ask an Expert