Find the Cheapest Pet Insurance Policies Online - Guide to Find Affordable Pet Cover
Owning a dog or cat is one of life’s great joys. Regardless of whether you’re a dog person or cat person, you’ll agree that they are part of the family.
We love our pets and we want to give them the best possible care we can, but sometimes that level of care isn’t always affordable. Our pets seem to find a way of getting themselves into trouble, whether it be getting hit by a car or eating something they shouldn’t, and in many unfortunate cases, pet owners can end up facing astronomical vet bills.
While Australian people can enjoy the many benefits of Medicare, there’s no such system in place for our pets. This is why it’s a good idea for Australian pet owners to consider taking out pet insurance.
Pet insurance is designed to cover the cost of your vet’s unexpected veterinary bills. It’s a safer option than trying to put cash away for an emergency fund and it ensures that you will be able to give your pet the best possible care when he needs it the most.
However, just like with any other form of insurance, it’s important that you take the time to shop around and find the right cover for your pet at the right price.
Compare Basic Pet Insurance Options
- What Should a Low Cost Pet Insurance Policy Still Cover?
- What Doesn't Cheap Pet Insurance Cover?
- Tips For Finding Low Cost Pet Insurance Policy
- What to Look Out For With Cheap Pet Insurance Policies
- Find Cheap Pet Insurance Online - Why Going Online Can Help You Find Affordable Cover
- Apply for Cheap Pet Insurance
What Should a Low Cost Pet Insurance Policy Still Cover?
It’s entirely possible to take out a comprehensive pet insurance policy that protects your four-legged companion (and your wallet) against a wide variety of risks. However, if you’re on a tighter budget but still want to take extra steps to look after your dog or cat, a cheaper no-frills policy may be the way to go.
Most cheap pet insurance providers will offer a basic, entry-level policy that only covers accidents. As the name suggests, this type of policy provides cover for the vet bills you face when your pet is involved in an accident. While cover differs between providers, an accident only policy provides cover for up to 80% of eligible vet bills for treating things like accidental injuries. These include:
- injuries from car accidents
- snake bites
- allergic reactions to insect bites (excluding ticks and fleas).
A typical claim limit under such a policy would be around $7,000 or $8,000 each year, which should offer the cover you need to give your pet the right treatment. Lifetime cover is usually available for pets if you apply when they are aged between eight weeks and nine years, while some policies also offer complementary benefits to help you out in times of need. These include:
- emergency boarding expenses when you’re in hospital
- cover for overseas when you take your pet travelling
- tick paralysis treatment
- essential euthanasia.
With an accident only insurance policy in place, you can take your pet to any vet licensed to practice in Australia. Many policies are even available without any waiting period, allowing you to make a claim the day after your policy comes into effect.
As advances in human medicine continue to be reflected in the enhanced level of care we can now offer to our pets, vet bills are getting to be increasingly expensive. With this in mind, cheap pet insurance offers an affordable level of protection for you and your pet.Back to top
What Doesn't Cheap Pet Insurance Cover?
With insurance and with most things in life, you always get what you pay for — so a cheap pet insurance policy obviously isn’t going to offer you the highest level of cover available. Most insurers will also offer two other types of policies that offer extra levels of cover to customers: an accident and illness policy and a premium accident and illness policy.
The maximum claim limit under these types of policies typically rises to $11,000 or $12,000 per year. You’ll be covered for up to 80% of your eligible vet bills for accidents and illnesses that your pet suffers. As well as the injuries listed above, the cost of treating your pet for a wide range of illnesses will also be covered. Guaranteed lifetime cover is offered and you can even add a Routine Care Benefit to your policy to help cover the cost of everyday treatments and expenses including vaccinations, vet check ups and even obedience training.
While this level of cover is simply not available under the cheapest pet insurance policies, there are also other circumstances where your claim won’t be paid. These include claims relating to:
- pre-existing conditions, unless you have reached an agreement with your insurer for coverage
- malicious acts, deliberate injuries or acts of negligence by you, or someone living with you
- circumstances where you fail to take reasonable precautions to care for your pet. This includes failing to follow your vet’s recommendations
- cruciate ligament conditions before you have served a waiting period
- breeding or obstetrics
- oral or dental problems
- grooming or bathing your dog or cat.
Tips For Finding Low Cost Pet Insurance Policy
- Consider your cover requirements. How much cover do you need for your pet? Do you want a comprehensive policy that offers protection against a wide range of risks, or an accident only policy for those unexpected emergencies?
- Look out for discounts and coupon codes. Keep an eye out for discount offers from pet insurers which can help you save money on your premiums. You can also search online for coupon codes that let you enjoy savings and other attractive deals.
- Multi-policy discounts. If you’ve got more than one pet, consider taking out insurance cover for all your four-legged friends with the same provider. Many insurers offer discounts when you insure multiple pets, so keep your eye out for a deal that can help you save money.
- Compare quotes on a range of policies. Cost is a huge factor when buying insurance, so shop around and obtain quotes from a number of insurers. This is quick and easy to do online and will give you a good idea of how much your cover will cost. However, keep in mind that the cheapest quote you receive is not necessarily the best.
- Compare a range of different policies. Pet insurance offers an important type of cover, so it’s crucial to do your research and shop around for a policy that meets your needs. This can be somewhat of a boring process but it pays to examine the product disclosure statements of competing policies closely. You can look at the benefits, features, limits and exclusions of each policy to find out what is and isn’t covered. This will give you an accurate idea of which policy is right for you and your pet.
- Check for existing cover. Before you shop for pet insurance, make sure your pet is not covered in any way under another insurance policy you may have.
What to Look Out For With Cheap Pet Insurance Policies
- Reduced range of benefits covered. You need to be aware of what benefits you will receive under your chosen policy. Don’t be confused into thinking that the benefits offered under a premium plan will apply to your budget policy.
- No routine care benefit. Many cheap pet insurance policies will give you the option of adding an extra routine care benefit to your cover. This will include cover for heartworm tests and blood screens, desexing, microchipping, vaccinations, regular check ups and more. However, check to see whether it’s possible for you to add this benefit to your chosen policy.
- Reduced maximum yearly benefit. If you find a cheap policy that sounds too good to be true, check the fine print to see the maximum yearly benefit you are able to claim. You might be able to find a much higher benefit on a different policy, so take the time to weigh up your options.
- Reduced annual maximum claim. How much are you able to claim each year? Are you able to make multiple claims per year?
- No paralysis tick benefit. A number of cheap insurance policies will not include a paralysis tick benefit for when your pet falls victim to one of these nasty parasites. Depending on where you live, this may be an important cover area for your dog or cat, so look for a policy that includes this option.
- Reduced emergency boarding fees. Many policies will provide cover for emergency boarding fees if you are hospitalised for an extended period of time. Investigate the limit each policy provides for these fees and look for a plan that offers a higher limit.
- Longer waiting period. Some cheap policies will force you to sit out a longer waiting period before your cover takes effect. For example, you may have to wait six months before any cruciate ligament injuries will be covered. Try to find the policy with the shortest waiting periods to ensure your pet is covered as soon as possible.
- Complicated claims process. When you’re shopping for an insurance policy it can be easy to forget about making a claim. Some insurers offer clams processes that are difficult and complicated, so look for a provider with a reputation for processing claims quickly and with a minimum of hassle.
- No flexibility to adjust how premium is paid. Some cheap insurance providers will lock you into a rigid premium payment schedule. Look for an insurance company that allows you to make repayments on a schedule that suits your budget, as well as one that allows you payment options like credit card or direct debit.
- Poor customer service. Some cheap insurance policy providers will have deserved reputations for providing below-par customer service. Choosing to insure with such a company will lead to nothing but trouble in the long run, so do your research and find an insurer with a reputation for valuing its customers and providing friendly and efficient service.
Find Cheap Pet Insurance Online - Why Going Online Can Help You Find Affordable Cover
- Simple and convenient. It is now easier than ever before to find pet insurance online. These policies are available direct from the insurer and are designed to be simple for the average consumer to understand. Thanks to the wonders of online shopping, you can hunt for the cover your pet needs without having to leave the comfort of your lounge.
- Compare multiple policies at once. You have a wealth of information at your fingertips when shopping for pet insurance online. All it takes is a few clicks for you to be able to weigh up the pros and cons of competing policies at the same time. You can pore through product disclosure statements and quickly determine which policy comes out on top.
- Plenty of choice. As cheap pet insurance is an increasingly competitive sector of the insurance market, consumers have a wide range of products to choose from. From budget policies through to premium plans, there’s a policy out there to suit the needs and tastes of plenty of people. The freedom of choice allows you to find the right policy for your pet.
- Value for money. You’ll be able to find plenty of deals and special offers when shopping for cheap pet insurance cover online. This can allow you to enjoy big savings on your premiums.
- Coupon codes. In addition to the promotional offers regularly advertised by insurers, if you take the time to search for promo codes and vouchers you can enjoy further savings off your pet’s insurance cover.
- Quick. The whole cheap pet insurance process, from researching the different types of cover to completing your application, can be completed quickly. Approval is typically granted quite quickly and your pet will often be able to enjoy immediate coverage.
Apply for Cheap Pet Insurance
Pet insurance is an essential consideration for anyone who loves their dog or cat. It offers much-needed financial protection when unexpected vet bills roll in, meaning you won’t have to compromise on care for your best friend. However, make sure to compare a range of policies before you choose one.Back to top