Want the cheapest pet insurance? Know what to look for so you don't get stung.
Pet insurance is an investment that can potentially save you a lot of money over the years. More comprehensive policies can cover a wider range of events, but also tend to cost more.
Fortunately, you don’t need to spend a lot to get a policy that works. You can still find appropriate cover with basic, low-cost pet insurance policies. This guide looks at affordable Australian pet insurance policies so you can find the cover you need at the price you want.
Compare basic policies from these brands
Think about the cover offered as well as the costs of different policies.
- How much can you claim back? Policies will reimburse you a certain percentage of costs, typically from about 60% to 80%. More is naturally preferable, but will also cost more.
- What’s the excess? The excess is a fee you will have to pay when you make a claim. You can usually choose what excess you will pay. A higher excess generally results in a lower premium.
- What are the limits? This is the maximum amount you can claim in a year. Some events will have sub-limits applied.
- Does it cover illnesses? Accident cover is important, but illness cover is potentially even more important if you want long-term value for money.
- Can you add routine care cover? If it’s available, routine care cover is often a worthwhile inclusion that can save more than it costs.
- Does it have lifetime cover? All the policies here let you get lifetime cover for your pets. If it is a guaranteed renewal offer, you can continue to renew an existing policy as long as you haven’t let your cover lapse.
|Australia Post Bronze policy||Woolworths Basic policy||Pet Insurance Australia Basic policy||Bow Wow Meow Basic policy|
|Reimbursement||65%||Up to 80%||Up to 80%||Up to 80%|
|Excess||$0, $100 or $200||$0 or $200||$0, $100 or $200||$0, $100, $200 or $500|
|Annual limit||$3,000||$5,000||$8,000||$8,000 or $12,000|
|Routine care cover available|
|Lifetime cover||No maximum age limit||Guaranteed renewal offer||Guaranteed renewal offer||Guaranteed renewal offer|
What does a low-cost accident-only policy cover?
A comprehensive pet insurance policy might offer a wider range of cover for your four-legged friend, but you may still find that you can get suitable cover with a basic policy.
Basic accident-only pet insurance policies typically cover the following:
- Injuries from car accidents
- Burns and electrocution
- Snake bites
- Allergic reactions to insect bites, excluding ticks and fleas
- Injuries such as bite wounds caused by other dogs
- Emergency boarding expenses if you are hospitalised
- Overseas pet insurance when you travel with your pet
- Tick paralysis treatment (requires comprehensive policies in the case of Bow Wow Meow and Pet Insurance Australia)
- Essential euthanasia
With an accident-only insurance policy in place, you can take your pet to any vet licensed to practice in Australia. There is generally no waiting period for accident claims, allowing you to make a claim the day after your policy comes into effect.Back to top
What do basic pet insurance policies not cover?
Basic pet insurance policies do not typically offer illness cover. Australia Post’s basic policy is a notable exception to this general rule, although the low limits mean it might not be the right choice for everyone. There are other exclusions, however, which generally apply to even the most comprehensive policies.
- Pre-existing conditions are typically not covered, unless you have made special arrangements with your insurer.
- Negligence or deliberate acts, whether caused by you or by someone living with you.
- Failure to take reasonable precautions or to appropriately care for your pet, such as not following your vet’s recommendations
Specific types of treatment, such as breeding and obstetrics, oral or dental problems and grooming or bathing for your dog or cat, are also typically not covered. This also includes related injuries, such as if a groomer accidentally injures your dog while working.
How much cover do I actually need for my pet?
To choose the right limits and level of cover, it’s a good idea to consider the breed of animal and what kinds of health risks it is likely to face over the years. It’s a good idea to consult your vet before taking out a policy to see what you are likely to use and what you can probably do without.
Steps to get low cost cover
- Consider your cover requirements. How much cover do you need for your pet? Do you want a comprehensive policy that offers protection against a wide range of risks, or an accident only policy for those unexpected emergencies?
- Look out for discounts and coupon codes. Keep an eye out for discount offers from pet insurers which can help you save money on your premiums. You can also search online for coupon codes that let you enjoy savings and other attractive deals.
- Multi-policy discounts. If you’ve got more than one pet, consider taking out insurance cover for all your four-legged friends with the same provider. Many insurers offer discounts when you insure multiple pets, so keep your eye out for a deal that can help you save money.
- Compare quotes on a range of policies. Cost is a huge factor when buying insurance, so shop around and obtain quotes from a number of insurers. This is quick and easy to do online and will give you a good idea of how much your cover will cost. However, keep in mind that the cheapest quote you receive is not necessarily the best.
- Compare a range of different policies. Pet insurance offers an important type of cover, so it’s crucial to do your research and shop around for a policy that meets your needs. This can be somewhat of a boring process but it pays to examine the product disclosure statements of competing policies closely. You can look at the benefits, features, limits and exclusions of each policy to find out what is and isn’t covered. This will give you an accurate idea of which policy is right for you and your pet.
- Check for existing cover. Before you shop for pet insurance, make sure your pet is not covered in any way under another insurance policy you may have.
What you should be weary of with low cost cover
- Reduced range of benefits covered. You need to be aware of what benefits you will receive under your chosen policy. Don’t be confused into thinking that the benefits offered under a premium plan will apply to your budget policy.
- No routine care benefit. Many cheap pet insurance policies will give you the option of adding an extra routine care benefit to your cover. This will include cover for heartworm tests and blood screens, desexing, microchipping, vaccinations, regular check ups and more. However, check to see whether it’s possible for you to add this benefit to your chosen policy.
- Reduced maximum yearly benefit. If you find a cheap policy that sounds too good to be true, check the fine print to see the maximum yearly benefit you are able to claim. You might be able to find a much higher benefit on a different policy, so take the time to weigh up your options.
- Reduced annual maximum claim. How much are you able to claim each year? Are you able to make multiple claims per year?
- No paralysis tick benefit. A number of cheap insurance policies will not include a paralysis tick benefit for when your pet falls victim to one of these nasty parasites. Depending on where you live, this may be an important cover area for your dog or cat, so look for a policy that includes this option.
- Reduced emergency boarding fees. Many policies will provide cover for emergency boarding fees if you are hospitalised for an extended period of time. Investigate the limit each policy provides for these fees and look for a plan that offers a higher limit.
- Longer waiting period. Some cheap policies will force you to sit out a longer waiting period before your cover takes effect. For example, you may have to wait six months before any cruciate ligament injuries will be covered. Try to find the policy with the shortest waiting periods to ensure your pet is covered as soon as possible.
- Complicated claims process. When you’re shopping for an insurance policy it can be easy to forget about making a claim. Some insurers offer clams processes that are difficult and complicated, so look for a provider with a reputation for processing claims quickly and with a minimum of hassle.
- No flexibility to adjust how premium is paid. Some cheap insurance providers will lock you into a rigid premium payment schedule. Look for an insurance company that allows you to make repayments on a schedule that suits your budget, as well as one that allows you payment options like credit card or direct debit.
- Poor customer service. Some cheap insurance policy providers will have deserved reputations for providing below-par customer service. Choosing to insure with such a company will lead to nothing but trouble in the long run, so do your research and find an insurer with a reputation for valuing its customers and providing friendly and efficient service.
How can buying cover online help me save?
- Simple and convenient. It is now easier than ever before to find pet insurance online. These policies are available direct from the insurer and are designed to be simple for the average consumer to understand. Thanks to the wonders of online shopping, you can hunt for the cover your pet needs without having to leave the comfort of your lounge.
- Compare multiple policies at once. You have a wealth of information at your fingertips when shopping for pet insurance online. All it takes is a few clicks for you to be able to weigh up the pros and cons of competing policies at the same time. You can pore through product disclosure statements and quickly determine which policy comes out on top.
- Plenty of choice. As cheap pet insurance is an increasingly competitive sector of the insurance market, consumers have a wide range of products to choose from. From budget policies through to premium plans, there’s a policy out there to suit the needs and tastes of plenty of people. The freedom of choice allows you to find the right policy for your pet.
- Value for money. You’ll be able to find plenty of deals and special offers when shopping for cheap pet insurance cover online. This can allow you to enjoy big savings on your premiums.
- Coupon codes. In addition to the promotional offers regularly advertised by insurers, if you take the time to search for promo codes and vouchers you can enjoy further savings off your pet’s insurance cover.
- Quick. The whole cheap pet insurance process, from researching the different types of cover to completing your application, can be completed quickly. Approval is typically granted quite quickly and your pet will often be able to enjoy immediate coverage.
Save on your policy with these discounts
Show code & visit siteMY****After the store tab opens, come back to copy the code