- One of the cheapest insurers in Australia
- 15% off your first year's premiums when you buy online
- Good customer service and few complaints
Best landlord insurance
To help you find the best landlord insurance, we've broken down our top picks based on popularity, unique features and perks.
- One of the only insurers to cover short term rentals
- Covers accidental damage by tenants or paying guests
- Covers damage by tenants' pets
- Cheapest out of 16 brands – Finder research
- Similar cover to Budget Direct, but with Qantas Points
- Grow your Points balance with a 50k sign-up bonus
- The only insurer to offer total building replacement cover
- Prevents huge out of pocket expenses if your property is destroyed
- One of the most comprehensive policies in Australia
Finding the best landlord insurance
As the cost of living crisis wears on, it makes sense to get the best landlord insurance because you don't want to risk losing income on your investment property.
To help you find the best option for your needs, our insurance experts selected 4 policies based on factors such as cost, popularity, benefits and inclusions. We looked at 16 landlord insurance brands, analysed over 35 benefits and looked through each provider's product disclosure statements to see exactly what is and isn't covered.
Remember, there's no single best landlord insurance policy that suits everyone, since each of our needs are slightly different depending on the property we own, but we can help narrow down your options.
Most popular landlord insurance: Budget Direct
What we like about Budget Direct:
- It's the most popular landlord insurer on Finder – it had more clicks than any other landlord provider between January 2023 and May 2023 based on our data. Budget Direct placed ahead of QBE and Qantas respectively.
- It covers the essentials like fire, storm, rainwater and theft (or attempted theft). It also pays you lost rent if your investment property becomes uninhabitable because of an insured event. Other insurers cover these benefits, but Budget Direct is often cheaper.
- You get 15% off your first year's premiums when you buy online – no landlord insurer on Finder offers a bigger discount.
- As the name implies, Budget Direct provides low-cost, no-frills policies. If you want a more comprehensive (and expensive) policy, it might not be for you. For example, you need to pay extra if you want cover for malicious damage and floods.
Top pick for short term rentals: QBE
What we like about QBE landlord insurance:
- It's one of the only insurers in Australia to offer cover for short term rentals of less than 3 months – ideal if you're renting out your entire property or holiday home on Airbnb. You don't need to have a lease agreement in place to be covered, just some kind of booking record, such as one made through a holiday rental platform.
- QBE is the only insurer we found that will cover damage by tenants' pets for up to $4,000. It's also the only insurer we found that covers accidental damage by your tenants or paying guests.
- It's also our Green Insurer of the Year winner. It will replace your home and the items in it with eco-friendly upgrades if damaged or destroyed.
- Youi landlord insurance can also cover short term rentals. However, we selected QBE as our top pick because its product disclosure statement (PDS) provides much clearer information about what it will cover and the type of properties it will cover. Youi also doesn't specify it covers damage by tenants' pets.
Top pick for perks: Qantas
What we like about Qantas:
- Finder's research of 16 providers found Qantas to be the most price-competitive. It had the cheapest combined (home & contents) policy at $1,444.54 per year. What's more, at $1,221.34 it offered the lowest price for standalone buildings insurance.
- Qantas policies are underwritten by Auto & General. This is the same firm that underwrites Budget Direct. It means you get the same level of cover as a Budget Direct policy – but you also earn Qantas Points. You earn 1 Qantas Point for every $1 you spend on your premium. You also get up to 50,000 points when you first sign up.
- A Qantas landlord policy will cover your investment property for common risks such as fires and theft. It can also pay you a rental income for up to 12 months if your property's damaged by an insured event and unsafe to live in.
- Just like Budget Direct, a Qantas landlord insurance policy doesn't automatically cover floods and malicious damage. If you want cover for either of these events, you'll need to pay more. You will also need to pay extra for tenant default and theft by tenants and their visitors.
Top pick for total replacement cover: ANZ
What we like about ANZ:
- If your property is destroyed, ANZ will cover the entire rebuilding costs. It is the only insurer to include full building replacement as a standard feature across all home and landlord building insurance products.
- Its policy takes the onus off you as a landlord. With the majority of insurers, you need to estimate how much your property would cost to rebuild (the sum insured). This commonly leads people underinsuring their property (80% of homes in Australia are underinsured). For example, say you insure your property for 1 million but it costs 1.2 million to rebuild, you would be 200k out of pocket. With ANZ's full building replacement, this won't happen to you.
- It's one of the most comprehensive landlord insurance policies in Australia. It automatically covers events many others don't such as floods, malicious damage and electrical motor burnout and power surges.
- Because it's much more comprehensive, you'll likely pay more for an ANZ policy compared to the budget insurers. Our research found a combined home & contents policy with ANZ may cost $1,843.97 per year, which placed it outside of the top 3 brands we identified for our value pick.
Editor's top landlord insurance pick for December 2023
In addition to our best landlord insurance picks, Finder's editor for insurance James Martin has reviewed landlord insurance policies in December 2023 and selected a policy that he believes is good value and worth considering.
Good option for Winter 2023
What we like about Qantas landlord insurance: Amid high interest rates and sky-high insurance pricing, anything to keep a lid on bills should be warmly welcomed. New Finder research suggested Qantas offers comparatively low pricing for both buildings-only and combined cover. Keep in mind it's a less comprehensive policy than some others. You may want to add rent default cover and legal expenses on to your policy if these are important to you. Qantas is backed by a major insurer – Auto & General – which will bring added peace of mind for some.
What type of landlord insurance do you need?
There are 3 types of landlord insurance. The one you need depends on the property you own and whether or not it is furnished:
Landlord building insurance
This covers loss or damage to the building itself. It's probably best if you own a freestanding house that is unfurnished.
Landlord building and contents
This protects the building and your items (not the tenants). It's suited to property owners with furnished houses (e.g. white goods, curtains, carpets).
More tips to find the best landlord insurance policy for you
If you're still looking for a policy, these 3 questions could help narrow down your search:
Do you own a unit or apartment?
If so, then you probably don't need landlord building insurance – the strata insurance you pay will cover you.
Is your property furnished or partly furnished?
Then you might want to get contents insurance to cover the items you keep at your property (in addition to building insurance if you own a freestanding house). Even if you only have items such as carpets, blinds and white goods, it can be worth getting. If something happens, the costs could be significant.
Do you want cover for rent default?
Rent default pays you an income if your tenant stops paying the rent – for example, if they lose their job or fall ill. You'll need to pay extra if you want this included in your policy.
Once you've narrowed down your options to a handful of insurers, it's worth getting quotes from each insurer. This will help you see who comes out on top for price.
Compare to find the best landlord insurance policy for you
These are our top landlord insurance picks but there are other policies out there. You can use our table below to compare all the landlord insurance policies available on Finder.
Why you can trust Finder's insurance experts
You pay the same as buying directly from the landlord insurer. Better still, we regularly run exclusive deals that you won't find on any other site – plus, our tables make it easy to compare policies.
Our team of insurance experts have researched and rated dozens of policies as part of our Finder Awards and published hundreds of guides to make it easier for you to compare.
Unlike other comparison sites, we're not owned by an insurer. That means our opinions are our own and we work with lots of landlord insurance brands, making it easier for you to find a good deal.
FAQs about the best landlord insurance policy
- ANZ landlord insurance PDS (accessed November 2023)
- DVA: underinsurance
- Budget Direct landlord insurance PDS (accessed November 2023)
- Qantas landlord insurance PDS (accessed November 2023)
- QBE landlord insurance PDS (accessed November 2023)
- Youi landlord insurance PDS (accessed November 2023)
- ATO: rental expenses
More guides on Finder
Best Cyber Monday deals you can still get today: Up to 70% off
Black Friday is now over, but you can still pick up stacks of Cyber Monday deals that are every bit as good.
How a pink trading platform dominated New Zealand
Sharesies boasts 500,000 Kiwi customers - or one-tenth of the New Zealand population.
Woolworths vs Coles: Which paid membership is better? [VIDEO]
Is it worth spending more with Everyday Extra or Coles Plus?
Savings with Sarah #10
Aussies are predicted to spend $30 billion this festive season. Here's 7 key tips on how you can save on gift-buying.
Cyber Monday laptop deals 2023
Access deals and discounts of up to 65% off laptops from Dell, Microsoft, HP and more in the 2023 Cyber Monday sale event.
Standing desk sale: 35% off at Omnidesk for Cyber Monday
Upgrade your home office this Cyber Monday with 35% off ergonomic standing desks from Omnidesk.
Cyber Monday iPhone deals 2023
If you're looking for iPhone deals in this year's Cyber Monday sales, check out our roundup of the very best discounts around.
Virgin flights to Uluru: How many points do you need?
Can you get a red-hot deal for the red centre?
How to avoid a Christmas debt hangover
11% of us are putting our holiday shopping on plastic.
Black Friday Weekend: Today’s 25 best deals
From cutting-edge gadgets to deluxe mattresses, these are the best Black Friday deals you can get over the weekend.
Ask an Expert