Finder makes money from featured partners, but editorial opinions are our own.

Landlord contents insurance

Landlord contents insurance protects the items you own, not your tenants. But even if your property is unfurnished, you might still need it.

What you need to know

  • Landlord contents insurance covers the items you own and keep at your rental property.
  • It can pay to repair or replace items that have been damaged or destroyed by an insured event.
  • It is ideal for landlords with furnished properties but may still be necessary if your property is unfurnished.

Compare landlord contents insurance policies here.

Name Product Tenant Default and Damage Loss of Rent Accidental Damage Sum Insured Safeguard Cooling-off Period Cheapest way to pay
Youi Landlord Contents Insurance


$2,000 per month
20 days
Budget Direct Landlord Contents Insurance


21 days
Save 15% on your first year's premium when you buy a contents insurance policy online. T&Cs apply.
QBE Landlord Contents Insurance
The lesser of: Up to 24 months of lost rent, or 20% of your contents sum insured
21 days
Save 10% on your Landlord Contents Insurance policy in the first year for signing up online. T&Cs apply.
Seniors Landlords Contents Insurance
14 days
Save 5% when you buy a combined building and contents policy. The discount will apply to the first 12 months of your Seniors Landlords Insurance policy. The discount will be reapplied for 12 months each time your Seniors Landlords Insurance policy is renewed. T&Cs apply.
Qantas Landlord Contents Insurance


21 days
Earn up to 40,000 Qantas Points with every Qantas Landlord Insurance policy you take out by 2 July. T&Cs and exclusions apply.
Bupa Landlord Contents Insurance


14 days
Bupa Ultimate Health Insurance members can get 15% off and Bupa Health Insurance members can get 10% off their home insurance policy.

What is landlord contents insurance?

Landlord contents insurance protects the items you own and keep at your rental property. If they're damaged or destroyed by an insured event, such as a fire, storm or malicious damage by your tenant, it can pay to repair or replace them.

It's designed to help you avoid a hefty replacement bill if you're the landlord of a furnished property and the contents get damaged.

Most insurers offer new for old replacement. This means they will pay you for the cost of a new item, not your item's current value.

Why do I need landlord contents insurance?


Damage from unexpected events

For example, fires (including bushfires) storms, rainwater, floods, escaped water and lightning.


Unfurnished property

Even if you have an unfurnished rental, you might still need contents cover. Items like carpets, blinds, some air conditioning units and white goods such as washing machines are generally included in contents insurance. If your property is ruined by a natural disaster, insurance can replace all of these furnishings and fittings.

Many property managers recommend that furnished rentals come equipped with basics like plates, bowls and glasses. Individually, these may not cost much – but if something serious like a fire, cyclone or storm hits and the whole property is damaged, you could be looking at hundreds of dollars in replacement costs. You've also got to consider how much it would cost to replace more expensive things such as kitchen units, white goods and carpets. It's particularly important if you rely on your rental as a major source of your income.

3 common landlord contents



white goods

Appliances such as white goods


Blinds and curtains

What is covered in landlord contents insurance?

Landlord contents insurance covers the items you own and keep at the property. If an insured event occurs, it can cover:

  • Lost or damaged contents
  • Accidental and malicious damage by tenants
  • Motor burnout
  • New for old replacement
  • Storage of undamaged contents

What's excluded from cover?

Landlord contents insurance doesn't cover:

  • Regular maintenance
  • The building, for example the bricks and mortar
  • Your tenant's contents
  • Wear and tear to your items
  • Mouldy items (unless the mould was covered by an insured event)
  • Building defects
  • Damage to contents caused by vermin, insects or rodents
  • Damage to contents caused by movement of the sea

Make sure you take out landlord contents insurance before bad weather like a flood, storm or bushfire has become a known event. As soon as it's recorded by the BOM or on the news, you won't be able to make a claim for damage related to that event.

More guides on Finder

Ask a Question

You are about to post a question on

  • Do not enter personal information (eg. surname, phone number, bank details) as your question will be made public
  • is a financial comparison and information service, not a bank or product provider
  • We cannot provide you with personal advice or recommendations
  • Your answer might already be waiting – check previous questions below to see if yours has already been asked

Finder only provides general advice and factual information, so consider your own circumstances, or seek advice before you decide to act on our content. By submitting a question, you're accepting our Terms Of Service and Finder Group Privacy & Cookies Policy.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.
Go to site