With energy prices rising, switch to a cheaper plan
Compare Prices Now

Home insurance: Compare and save

Our home insurance comparison only takes minutes. Compare features so you only pay for what you need and click through for a personalised quote.

What do you want to do?

We’re reader-supported and may be paid when you visit links to partner sites. We don’t compare all products in the market, but we’re working on it!

1 - 7 of 30
Name Product Building Cover Contents Cover Fire, Storm & Theft Damage Cheapest way to pay Sum Insured Safeguard Bonuses
Budget Direct Home & Contents Insurance
Save 30% on your first year's premium.
Save 30% on your first year's premium when you purchase a new combined Home & Contents insurance policy online. T&Cs apply.
Youi Building and Contents Insurance
Save 20% off contents insurance, when you combine car and contents at the same address
Get a 20% discount on your contents insurance if you have a car insurance policy with Youi. Excludes NSW & SA CTP green slips. T&Cs apply.
Bendigo Bank Home & Contents Insurance
Qantas Home and Contents Insurance
Earn up to 20,000 Qantas Points when you apply.
Earn up to 20,000 Qantas Points when you apply. Points awarded will be based on your premium. T&Cs & exclusions apply.
Seniors Top Home & Contents Insurance
Buy online and save up to 30%
Buy online and save up to 30% on a new home and contents insurance policy. T&Cs apply.
Honey Home & Contents Insurance
Monthly or Annually
Get $250 worth of smart sensors with a combined policy.
Sign up and get free smart sensors (worth $250) to install around the home for accident prevention. T&Cs apply.
Woolworths Comprehensive Building and Contents
Save 20% on your first year's premium.
Save up to 20% when you buy a Woolworths Home and Contents insurance policy online. Plus, Everyday Rewards Members will save 10% on their monthly shop. T&Cs apply.

Compare up to 4 providers

Did you know?

Switching is easy. In a Finder survey of almost 13,000 Australians, over 1,100 had switched their home and contents insurance in the last 6 months.

What is home insurance and how does it work?

Home insurance is an agreement between you and your home insurer. You pay a fee, and in return, the insurer financially protects you from unexpected things that can happen around the home.

When applying, you'll have to answer a bunch of questions about your home and living situation. This is so that the insurer can assess your risk and give you a quote based on your needs.

So what happens then?

OneSomething bad happens, like a tree falling on your roof or a storm

TwoYou contact your home insurer and make a claim

ThreeYour claim is approved or denied (depending on the situation)

Let's compare home insurance

What do I need to know before getting started?

Comparing home insurance online is quick and easy, but there are some key terms you'll need to understand before getting started:

Premium. A premium is the price the insurance company will charge you for cover. Most companies will let you choose if you want to pay on a fortnightly, monthly or annual basis.

Excess. This is the amount of money you have to pay before your insurance company will pay out any claim. So if you have a $500 excess and a storm blows a hole in your roof that costs $3,000 to repair, the insurer will pay out $2,500.

Product disclosure statement. This is the legal document that outlines the ins and outs of your policy. It's also known as a PDS.

Insured events. Most insurers have a list of common events that you'll be covered for with home insurance. This includes things like fire, malicious damage, water damage and theft.

Nominated sum insured. This is the amount you insure your house or contents for. It's super important that this figure is accurate. If the sum insured is too low, it could leave you out of pocket if you ever have to repair or rebuild.

Sum insured safeguard. This is an optional benefit offered by some insurance companies that kicks in if your home needs to be repaired or rebuilt, but your sum insured isn't enough to cover it.

Back to top

What types of home insurance are there?

Home and contents


For homeowners who also care about the stuff inside their home.



For property owners who want to protect the building, but not its contents.



For people who only want to cover their belongings. Best for renters.

If you rent out your property, you can see our guide to landlord insurance.
If you own a commercial building, you can see our guide to strata insurance.

Did you know?

In insurance-speak, home insurance refers to the actual structure of your home as well as more permanent features. It's sometimes referred to as buildings insurance. If you want the items inside your home covered, you'll have to get home and contents insurance.

Which type of home insurance is right for me?

There's an easy way to figure out which type of home insurance might be best for you:

Who it suitsWho it doesn't suit
Home and contents

✅ People who own the home they live in

✅ Anyone who wouldn't be able to afford major building repairs to their home

✅ Anyone who wouldn't be able to replace their belongings easily or affordably

✅ Anyone who lives in an area prone to natural disasters

❌ Renters

❌ Apartment owners who already have strata insurance to cover their building

❌ People who don't have many belongings or very expensive belongings


✅ People who own their home but don't have many belongings or very expensive belongings

✅ Anyone who wouldn't be able to afford major building repairs to their home

✅ Anyone who lives in an area prone to natural disasters

❌ Renters

❌ Apartment owners who already have strata insurance to cover their building


✅ Renters

✅ Apartment owners who already have strata insurance to cover their building

✅ Anyone who wouldn't be able to replace their belongings easily or affordably

❌ People who own the home they live in

❌ People who don't have many belongings or very expensive belongings

If you're trying to find the best home insurance policy, check out our guide. We've researched some top picks and can help you figure out how to find the best policy for you.

I'm ready to compare benefits

Here's a home insurance comparison

Compare the benefits of different policy types.

Home and contents insurance policies vary between different insurers, so they have slightly different benefits. However, here is a generalisation of what's usually covered and what's not covered with home insurance.

Is this covered?Home and contents insuranceBuilding insuranceContents insurance
Storm and rainwater damage
Escape of liquid, such as a burst pipe
Fire damage
Theft and attempted theft
Malicious damage and vandalism
Breakage of glass, ceramics and sanitary fixtures
Impact damage, such as a fallen tree
Lightning strikes
Temporary accommodation
Earthquake or tsunami
Accidental damage
Portable contents
Motor burnout
Deliberate or negligent damage
General wear and tear
Mould, termites or vermin
Damage from renovations
If your home is unoccupied
Back to top

Do I really need home insurance?

In most cases, yes.

Of course, we can't force you to do anything, but buying a house is usually one of the biggest financial decisions of your life so it makes sense to protect it. Also, if you've planned to take out a mortgage, most lenders won't approve your application without adequate home insurance.

If you're still unsure, ask yourself the following questions. If you answer YES to any of them, you should really consider home insurance.

Would I be stuck finding somewhere else to live if my home was suddenly uninhabitable?

Would I struggle to pay for major home repairs?

Do I keep anything valuable in my home that would be hard or expensive to replace?

Do I live in an area that is prone to natural disasters?

Do I live in a high-crime area where burglary or vandalism might occur?

Man sitting on sofa using cellphone

Check out our average home insurance quotes

The cost of home insurance varies massively depending on the value of your home and its location, among other factors.

However, Finder research found that the average cost of a home and contents insurance policy is $136 a month, based on a suburban home worth $500,000 and contents of $100,000.

The Emergency Services Levy Insurance Monitor, a government initiative that tracked the cost of home insurance across NSW, returned a slightly lower average premium of $102 a month.

Check out the average cost by state

Did you know?
There's no reason to be dissatisfied with the cost of your home insurance. In a Finder survey of over 5,000 people, 67% said they were getting good value for money on their policy. Switch, and you could too.

Compare policies and get a quote

What affects the cost of home insurance?

Money emoji

You could pay less if you….

  • Live in a neighbourhood with a low crime rate
  • Have extra home security features that could prevent burglary
  • Have a fairly modest home with inexpensive rebuild costs
  • Choose a higher excess amount
  • Don't have a recent claims history

You might have to pay more if…

  • The location of your home is prone to natural disasters like bushfires or flooding
  • Your home is also used as a place of business
  • You have added home features like a pool or tennis court
  • You want the most comprehensive policy with optional inclusions

Money wings

Back to top

How do I compare home insurance?

Home insurance is a big purchase, so we understand you want to get it right. Here's how to make sure you're getting a good deal:

One Know the specs of your home

You'll need to know the details of your home, such as when it was built and what materials were used.

Two Value your belongings

This can be tough. We recommend going room to room and slowly building up a valuation or bring in a professional to do it.

Three Compare online and request quotes

You can use our comparison table to compare benefits from Finder partners side by side and then request a personalised quote.

We recommend requesting a few and comparing.

Four Check the PDS

Before you buy home insurance, always check the product disclosure statement. It'll tell you everything that is and isn't covered by your policy.

Five Check for offers

Some insurers have sign-up deals for new customers that could save you as much as 30% – always check before purchasing.

Okay, I'm ready to compare

Is home insurance really worth it?

For a lot of people, yes. Finder research shows that the average cost of home insurance is $1,344 a year, based on a suburban home worth $500,000 and contents of $100,000.

That means, for $1,344, you'd be receiving $600,000 worth of protection. If a strong storm or a fallen tree destroys your roof, the average cost to install a new roof for a moderate-sized home is around $7,500.

Plus, even relatively minor damage can easily cost more than $1,344. If a waste pipe burst in your home, not only would you be hit with plumbing costs, you'd also have to look into replacing furniture or belongings.

What brands offer home insurance?

Anyone looking for home insurance has heaps of options to choose from. We've listed just some of Australia's major providers below.

If the brand you're looking for isn't here, check out our directory.

How else can home insurance help?

Did you know that home insurance can also cover temporary housing for your pets if your home became uninhabitable? It can also cover your holiday home if you're not always there. Here are some other things that home insurance can cover you for.

Back to top

How can I save money on home insurance?

Home insurance can be a major expense for lots of Aussies, but there are ways to make your premiums more affordable.

🛍 Shop around

Finder cost research shows you can halve the cost of your insurance premiums just by comparing online. Why wouldn't you?

🏷 Look for deals

Lots of insurers offer sign-up deals that can reduce your premium by up to 30%. Always check for offers before finalising.

💵 Take a higher excess

Opting for a higher excess will reduce the cost of your premium. Just be sure the excess will be affordable in the event of a claim.

🗒 Review regularly

There's nothing wrong with switching insurers on a regular basis. It's the best way to make sure you're getting a good deal.

What are your current home insurance offers?

There are heaps of home insurance deals that can save you up to 30% on your premium. That means if you have an annual premium of $1,200, you could save $360.

Budget Direct Home Insurance Deals

30% online discount on new home and contents insurance

Verified Today
Receive 30% off your first year's premium when you purchase a new combined home and contents insurance policy online. T&Cs apply.
Australian Seniors Home Insurance Deals

Buy online and save up to 30% on a home & contents policy with Australian Seniors

Verified Today
Offer applies to new policies bought online. Discount is made up of a 10% online discount for the first year, 10% for buying a combined policy and a further 10% if you hold a Seniors Card or 5% for non-card holders over the age of 50. T&Cs apply.
Honey Home Insurance Deals

Receive $250 worth of smart sensors with Honey Home Insurance

Verified Today
Get free smart sensors (valued at $250) to install around your home when you sign up for a combined home and contents policy. T&Cs apply.
Qantas Home Insurance Deals

Earn up to 20,00 Qantas Points with Qantas Home Insurance

Verified Today
Earn up to 20,00 Qantas Points for joining. Points based from your premium after 60 days. T&Cs, eligibility & exclusions apply.
Woolworths Home Insurance Deals

Save up to 20% on combined home & contents insurance

Verified Today
Receive up to 20% off your Woolworths home and contents policy when you purchase online. T&Cs apply.

Why use Finder to compare home insurance?

It's free of charge

You'll never be charged for clicking through to one of our partners. We get paid out of their pocket, not yours.

We've made it easy

Our experts have done heaps of research so you can compare policies side by side.

You could save money

Our cost research shows you can easily cut your home insurance premium in half – just by comparing online.

Start comparing home insurance

Frequently asked questions

Stay up-to-date with current news on home insurance

Climate change is making 1 in 25 homes uninsurable: Check if your home is at risk

Climate change is making 1 in 25 homes uninsurable: Check if your home is at risk

A new report by Climate Council suggests many homes will be effectively uninsurable by 2030.

Read more…
NSW floods: 5 things you can claim on your home insurance

NSW floods: 5 things you can claim on your home insurance

Heavy rains and unprecedented flooding continue to hit NSW – stay up-to-date and get ready for an insurance claim.

Read more…
NSW and QLD flood relief: Full list of support

NSW and QLD flood relief: Full list of support

Where to find help if you’ve been affected by the 2022 floods in Queensland and New South Wales.

Read more…

Icons made by Vectors Market, Freepik from www.flaticon.com

Read more on this topic

Ask an Expert

You are about to post a question on finder.com.au:

  • Do not enter personal information (eg. surname, phone number, bank details) as your question will be made public
  • finder.com.au is a financial comparison and information service, not a bank or product provider
  • We cannot provide you with personal advice or recommendations
  • Your answer might already be waiting – check previous questions below to see if yours has already been asked

Finder only provides general advice and factual information, so consider your own circumstances, or seek advice before you decide to act on our content. By submitting a question, you're accepting our Terms of Use, Disclaimer & Privacy Policy and Privacy & Cookies Policy.

45 Responses

  1. Default Gravatar
    geryFebruary 15, 2022

    you have incurance house?

    • Avatarfinder Customer Care
      JamesFebruary 26, 2022Staff

      Hi Gery,

      The table above has a list of insurance providers you can review and compare based on your needs. You can refine your search by ticking the filters that show on the left side of the table.

      Simply click on the “Get quote” button, and you’ll be taken to the brand’s website where you can source your quote.

      Best wishes,

  2. Default Gravatar
    MelissaFebruary 15, 2022

    hay insurance apartment ready

  3. Default Gravatar
    ClaudiaFebruary 15, 2022

    I want to insure my home. Can you help me?

    • Avatarfinder Customer Care
      JamesFebruary 24, 2022Staff

      Hi Claudia,

      I’d be more than happy to help. On this page, you’ll find a table where you can compare some of the leading brands in Australia side-by-side.

      When you’re ready, you can then click on the “Get a quote” button. You’ll be taken to the website of your selected insurer, where you can get a quote or ask the provider any questions you may have.


  4. Default Gravatar
    OdracirFebruary 15, 2022

    I want insurance for house at South australia

    • Avatarfinder Customer Care
      JamesMarch 1, 2022Staff

      Hi Odracir,

      Our guide to Home and Contents Insurance SA has a list of insurance providers that could help you.

      When comparing policies, always take into account the factors that are most important to you and your circumstances, and be sure to read the PDS.


  5. Default Gravatar
    joyFebruary 13, 2022

    Do you have insurance for an apartment?

Go to site