Finder’s home insurance methodology 2023
How our experts and insights team calculated the Finder home insurance awards and Finder rating.
What are the Finder home insurance awards?
Finder's home insurance awards is a ratings methodology that compares both price and features across 21 home and contents insurance policies. To determine the ratings, we researched a total of 68 home insurance policies which we narrowed down to 21 based on our eligibility criteria. In total, we got 312 home insurance quotes based on 15 different profiles.
We use the final scores from our insurance awards to inform the top picks on our best home insurance.
While we have gathered quotes for a broad range of different areas, your costs may differ a lot since prices vary significantly depending on the area you live in and the type of home you own. We did not include quotes for regional areas of the country. The ongoing weather events meant that several insurers were unable to provide cover at the time we gathered the quotes.
If you're looking to get cover and live in a regional area, it's worth calling the insurer directly to see if they will cover you.
What is the Finder rating?
The Finder rating is designed to make it easier for you to compare insurance policies side-by-side. It's based on the same information we gather as part of the Finder Awards. Each policy score is represented by a star rating out of 5.
To determine the ratings, our insurance experts and research team analyse policies based on price and features. The Finder ratings score you see on some of our tables and guides are based on a combination of price and features. Features account for 55% of the score, price accounts for 45%.
We also created separate scores for price and features to make it easier for you to weigh up what matters most to you. You can find these scores when you hover over the Finder rating. For example, Youi scored 5/5 for price and 4/5 for cover. It had a 4.5/5 Finder rating.
Finder's home insurance awards criteria
Home insurance eligibility criteria
- The home insurance provider must be in the market for at least 12 months
- Policies must be directly available to customers
- Cover must be offered to all ages
- The brand must have an online and accessible product disclosure statement
- The brand must have an online quoting engine or tool
- Cover must be available in major states (NSW, VIC, QLD, SA, WA)
- Combined home and contents insurance policies must be available
- The brand must offer some form of underinsurance protection, guarantee or safeguard
- The brand must offer flood cover (including optional)
- The brand must offer accidental damage (including optional)
Finder's home insurance awards methodology
1. How we calculated our price score for home insurance
To determine our home insurance award winners, we got prices across a total of 10 customer profiles. We got quotes for homes in the following areas of NSW, VIC, QLD, WA and SA:
2. How we calculated our features score for home insurance
|Choice of excess||1%|
|Cooling off period||1%|
|Electrical motor burnout||1%|
|Full building replacement||9%|
|Home office contents||5%|
|Mortgage discharge costs||1%|
|Pay monthly at no extra cost||5%|
|Removal of debris and trees||3%|
|Replacement of locks||5%|
|Temporary accommodation due to emergency evacuation||5%|
|Choice of excess||5%|
|Cooling off period||5%|
|Home office contents||4%|
|Mortgage discharge costs||2%|
|Pay monthly at no extra cost||6%|
|Removal of debris and trees||1%|
|Replacement of locks||4%|
|Temporary accommodation due to emergency evacuation||2%|
3. How we calculated our final scores for home insurance
What are the Finder customer satisfaction awards?
The Finder customer satisfaction awards recognise Australia's favourite brands across a huge number of categories. We survey thousands of Australians to understand how they feel about their recent product purchases to help you make a decision about what product to get. It's an independent awards program calculated by our data and insights team. Commercial partnerships do not influence the results in any way.
In total, we gave out awards to 6 different home insurers:
- Customer satisfaction: NSW
- Customer satisfaction: VIC
- Customer satisfaction: QLD
- Customer satisfaction: SA
- Customer satisfaction: WA
- Customer satisfaction: National
1. Home insurance customer satisfaction awards criteria
- The recency period varied between 3 months and 3 years.
- We got a minimum of 35 responses for each home insurer for each of the 5 states we looked at (NT, TAS and ACT were not included because the sample size was too small).
- Respondents were asked whether they would recommend the home insurer to a friend. This result was scored out of 5 as a percentage. For example, if 80% of respondents said they would recommend a product, it received a score of 4 out of 5.
- Customers were also asked how they would rate each home insurer overall on a scale between 1 and 5 and in terms of:
- Features and benefits
- Customer service
- Value for money
2. Home insurance customer satisfaction awards methodology
The overall score for NSW, QLD, WA, VIC and SA was calculated as an average of the metrics outlined above.
To determine the national winner, we calculated the average score from the top ranking brands from each of the 5 states we looked at.
To determine the insurer of the year winner, we calculated the average score of all top ranking insurance brands included in the customer satisfaction awards.
Our research in numbers
- Total number of responses for NSW: 1266
- Total number of responses for VIC: 1308
- Total number of responses for QLD: 1275
- Total number of responses for WA: 1222
- Total number of responses for SA: 1045
What are the Finder Green Awards?
The Finder Green Awards aim to identify sustainability leaders across some of our main comparison categories including banking, insurance, superannuation, utilities and travel. We highlight the winners on our review pages and comparison tables to make it easier for you to compare policies and know that you're purchasing a policy with a more sustainable brand.
Finder's Green Insurer of the Year methodology
We use a dynamic scoring system to decide the winner in each of the industry categories of the Finder Green Awards. Rather than awarding a set number of points for certain values, Finder's dynamic scoring system awards points relative to the other submissions by adjusting scores based on the actual range of submitted values for each category. These sources will then be adjusted to reflect the weightings shown as percentages in the tables below:
Eligibility criteria: Company must have offered insurance products to consumers in Australia in the 12 months prior to 31 December 2021.
General environmental criteria:
Current performance: 40%
- Emissions intensity
- Emissions intensity (incl. offsets)
- Energy from renewable sources
- Waste avoiding landfill
Environmental targets and reporting: 21%
- Emissions target
- Renewable energy target
- Waste target
- Public climate change plan
- External benchmarks/accreditation
Climate risk and sustainable investment: 17%
- Climate change impacts factored into risk management
- Climate change factored into investment decisions
Climate-friendly products: 22%
- Incentives/discounts for sustainable purchases or behaviour
- Carbon neutral products
What are the Finder Innovation Awards?
The Finder Innovation Awards acknowledge excellence and creativity while recognising the impact of innovation across a range of industries. There are 21 innovation award categories including best insurance innovation and best insurtech.
Both categories were judged by a panel of internal and external experts including founder of Determined Consumer Chris Zinn and Managing editor of Insurance News John Deex. Each judge scored the brand out of 100. The finalists were chosen based on who had the highest average score.
Why you can trust Finder's home insurance experts
You pay the same as buying directly from the home insurer. Better still, we regularly run exclusive deals that you won't find on any other site – plus, our tables make it easy to compare policies.
Unlike other comparison sites, we're not owned by an insurer. That means our opinions are our own and we work with lots of home insurance brands, making it easier for you to find a good deal.
Since 2014, we've helped 150,000+ people find home insurance by explaining your cover options simply and clearly. We'll never ask for your number or email. We're here to help you make a decision.
We're here to help
Frequently asked questions
More guides on Finder
Best Cyber Monday deals you can still get today: Up to 70% off
Black Friday is now over, but you can still pick up stacks of Cyber Monday deals that are every bit as good.
How a pink trading platform dominated New Zealand
Sharesies boasts 500,000 Kiwi customers - or one-tenth of the New Zealand population.
Woolworths vs Coles: Which paid membership is better? [VIDEO]
Is it worth spending more with Everyday Extra or Coles Plus?
Savings with Sarah #10
Aussies are predicted to spend $30 billion this festive season. Here's 7 key tips on how you can save on gift-buying.
Cyber Monday laptop deals 2023
Access deals and discounts of up to 65% off laptops from Dell, Microsoft, HP and more in the 2023 Cyber Monday sale event.
Standing desk sale: 35% off at Omnidesk for Cyber Monday
Upgrade your home office this Cyber Monday with 35% off ergonomic standing desks from Omnidesk.
Cyber Monday iPhone deals 2023
If you're looking for iPhone deals in this year's Cyber Monday sales, check out our roundup of the very best discounts around.
Virgin flights to Uluru: How many points do you need?
Can you get a red-hot deal for the red centre?
How to avoid a Christmas debt hangover
11% of us are putting our holiday shopping on plastic.
Black Friday Weekend: Today’s 25 best deals
From cutting-edge gadgets to deluxe mattresses, these are the best Black Friday deals you can get over the weekend.
Ask an Expert