What counts as genetic testing for insurance purposes? Read more…
Quick life insurance comparison
You can use this table below to quickly compare the features of direct partners in our panel. To compare quotes of of adviser-based brands, you'll need to use the form above.
For a policy with a lump sum of $500,000...
- AIA Priority Protection. Get covered from roughly $21.57*.
- TAL Accelerated Protection. Get covered from roughly $23.48 and increase your cover in the future without providing addition medical information*.
- MLC Insurance. Get covered from roughly $25.58 with award winning history and access to a network on doctors for medical advice*.
- ClearView LifeSolutions. Get covered from roughly $25.77 and access a wide range of build in benefits and features*.
*Prices are an estimate based on a 35 year old non-smoking male office worker. Quotes last checked on April 2018 and are subject to change. Your ability to increase your cover in the future is only possible after significant life events as defined in the policy.
Get a quote online without handing over your phone number.
finder doesn't believe in holding you hostage to phone calls - simply for getting a quote. You'll only have to provide your number if you sign up for a policy.
What makes us different?
Not owned by any insurers or banks
Unlike some other comparison services, we are independently owned. Any life insurers we partner with do not approve our content or editorial direction.
No phone calls unless you actually apply
You won't need to enter your contact details to compare the prices and features of different policies. It's all online.
More than just comparison
We believe in giving you detailed information so you aren’t just blindly comparing on price. Empower your life insurance choice with the know-how of an expert.
Aaron S. Bowral, NSW
In a year? That's almost $1000 in savings for Aaron
What types of life insurance can I compare here?
It's actually pretty straightforward. Just follow this process:
2. Compare prices and benefits
Enter a few details into our quote engine to get an online comparison of price, features and benefits, as well as age limits. Our comparison tool can help you save money on your policy.
3. Apply direct or with an adviser
How much help will you need with your application?
Answer a couple questions to find out what types of insurance you should check out based on your personal needs.
Find the right coverage
Answer two quick questions to work out the type of cover you need.
Question 1 of 2
Ready to cover your loved ones?
Simply go to the top of the page to get your quote. If you prefer to speak to chat over the phone:Back to top
Life insurance pays out a lump sum benefit if you die or are diagnosed with a terminal illness. To be specific:
You pass away unexpectedly
A benefit will go to your loved ones in the event of your death.
You become terminally ill
If you are diagnosed with a terminal illness where you're expected to live less than a certain amount of time e.g. 12 months.
A life insurance payment can be used to achieve financial goals such as:
Handling every day living expenses
Paying off a mortgage or buying a house
Taking care of your debts
Is life insurance worth it?
Simply compare the cost of a $500,000 policy vs the average costs* that may need to be covered if you're not around.
Monthly cost of life insurance
As little as $23.48
Average cost of raising a child
Average home loan size
Average credit card debt
Latest industry news
The online retailer now offers nearly every form of consumer-facing insurance. Read more…
A new development at Eastern Suburbs Memorial Park could expand burial capacity by a factor of six. Read more…
24% of all people checked were referred for further testing. Read more…
"It’s the only dedicated school fee insurance product in Australia." Read more…
Members to pay $100 million less in insurance premiums over the next financial year. Read more…
By understanding how life insurance actually works, you’ll find more suitable cover than most other customers out there. We believe in giving you the know-how to get yourself the best policy available
The process of finding the right cover involves asking yourself a few simple questions:Back to top
|Event / cover type||Death by any cause||Death by accident||Terminal illness||Inability to do your job (in the short term)||Inability to do your 'any' job for good||Inability to do your own job for good||A traumatic health event (e.g. cancer, stroke)||Ambulance||Hospital expenses||Health benefits e.g. physio|
|Income protection insurance|
|Total and permanent disability insurance (inside super)|
|Total and permanent disability insurance (non-super)|
Should I buy cover with an adviser or straight from the insurer?
Both options have benefits to consider so it really comes down to your own personal preference...
Reasons why people buy with an adviser
- Access to wide range of products to give you greater choice.
- Can use their knowledge of the market to help you find cover suitable for your situation.
- Can offer advice around life insurance inside and outside superannuation.
- Generally offer higher cover levels and greater range of features.
Reasons people go direct to the insurer
- Usually no medical required on direct products
- Cover can be put in place entirely online or over the phone.
- You know straight away if your application is successful.
- Some direct brands offer cover amounts up to $15 million.
- Number of life insurance products now combine products with general insurers to offer cover for involuntary redundancy.
Most superannuation funds provide members with a default level of cover which can be increased, decreased or cancelled altogether. Check with your employer if they are making contributions to a superfund for you.
Benefits of funding through super
- Generally cheaper as cover is purchased in bulk by super fund.
- Premium payments may be tax-deductible if paid with pre-tax dollars.
- Self-employed workers under the age of 75 may be eligible to claim a tax deduction for personal contributions.
- In some cases can arrange for employer to make contributions directly to their fund of an amount that will include the premium of life or disability cover.
- Payments made automatically direct from your super and not your after tax income.
- Reduced requirement for health checks.
Drawbacks of funding through super
- Types of cover available is limited. Trauma insurance is no longer offered through superannuation.
- Usually reduced level of cover offered to retail policies.
- Benefits paid to non-dependents can attract tax.
- Payment of benefit can be more complicated/drawn out as benefit is paid to fund trustee first who then distributes funds.
- Cover is generally more comprehensive/flexible for policies outside of super.
- Cover expires at age 70 (most policies outside of Super will continue to provide cover until age 90 or 100).
Not an Australian resident?
There are a number of insurers willing to provide cover. Typically:
- You'll have to of lived in Australia for a period of 6 months and are intending to apply for permanent residency
- Your Visa permits you to stay in Australia for a period of at least 2 - 4 years
I'm over 70 years of age?
Most insurers provide cover to applicants up to age 75 (age next birthday) and some offer cover for customers up to age 79 (age next birthday). Most brands will reduce the level of cover that older applicants can apply for.
I work in a high-risk job?
You will probably be required to pay a higher premium for cover than an office worker. It’s worth discussing your occupation with a consultant to give yourself the best chance of finding an insurer willing to offer competitive cover for your occupation.
I have a pre-existing condition?
It will depend on the nature of the condition and any treatment you are undergoing and the insurer themselves. The insurer will either exclude the condition from cover, request you submit more details about the condition or automatically accept it.
Here are some tips to get quality cover that won’t send you broke;
- Buy young and lock in a competitive rate. Taking out cover when you are younger means you can lock in a more competitive rate as oppose to when you're older and more prone to pre-existing conditions. Cover is guaranteed renewable so you don’t have to worry about being knocked back further down the track.
- Find out how much cover you actually need. Take the time to assess what needs to be covered in the event your death/serious injury.
- Find out what cover you already have. You may already have some cover from your or your employers superannuation fund. Find out how much is included and if extra cover is necessary.
- Take the time to shop around. Comparing policies with a consultant from a range of insurers gives you a greater chance of finding the right cover at a competitive rate.
- Consider salary continuance insurance. Salary continuance maybe more suitable if you are younger and don't have as many financial dependants.
- Keep an eye out for special offers. Competition among insurers has resulted in an increase of special offers to help you save further on your cover. This may include free cover for the first year, access to health rewards programs and premium discounts.
Useful things to understand
Whether you need it
Receiving a life insurance quote
Applying for cover
Making a claim
Disclaimer: Please read our Terms and Conditions to understand the services we provide and how we will use the information we hold. The product information on this website is not intended to imply any recommendation or opinion about a financial product listed. Consider your personal circumstances and obtain professional advice before you commit to, or purchase, any particular product. Picture: Shutterstock
Ask an Expert