Zurich Life Insurance Review
Zurich Life Insurance offers no-fuss life cover that could meet the needs of most Aussies. But this trusted insurer doesn’t offer any of the bigger policy add-ons.
Maximum Entry Age
Terminal Illness Benefit
Zurich Life Insurance is delivered by the Australian arm of the global Zurich Financial Services Group. It has since rebranded as Zurich Financial Services, an insurance-based financial services provider with a strong reputation globally.
- Cover available can be tailored with the help of an adviser or bought online with Zurich.
- Has acquired Macquarie Life Insurance and its range of life insurance products to provide more options.
- Wide range of cover types to suit different needs.
- Offers a one-off benefit of up to $50,000 in COVID vaccination protection. Until 31 December 2021.
- Standard premium rates are not guaranteed (for all policyholders).
- Management fee increases with how often you pay, for example, monthly.
Zurich Life Insurance: Our verdict
- Your family could have 2 chances to save on its insurance: Your first month is free and, by taking out a second life policy, you can get a 10% discount on that policy.
- Zurich's policy cancellation rate for death cover is 13.1%, according to Moneysmart data. This is slightly below the industry average of 13.3%.
- Policies aren't fully underwritten and the maximum cover limit of $1,500,000 might not be enough for those who are seeking a premium rate of cover.
What are the key features offered by Zurich Protection Plus?
All Zurich Protection Plus plans come with the following standard built-in benefits:
- Inflation protection. Your cover will increase annually in line with the Consumer Price Index.
- Future insurability benefit. Increase cover without underwriting at certain times.
- Financial planning advice benefit. Reimburses the cost of financial planning.
- Interim cover. Puts a level of cover in place as soon as you apply.
- Future insurability. You can increase your death, TPD or trauma cover if a life event happens, for example marriage or kids, without a health assessment. The same applies for businesses, if certain business events occur, death cover can be increased.
- Financial advice. Get up to $1,000 of financial advice reimbursed after a claim payment is made.
- Cover suspension. You can put your cover on hold for a specific period, up to 12 months in total. During this hold, you'll have no cover and no claims can be made.
Find out more about Zurich's main policy options
Direct life insurance
Key features of Zurich direct life insurance policies
You can purchase life insurance directly through Zurich EziCover. The EziCover options are designed to be easy to understand, affordable and simple to apply for.
Zurich Ezicover offers 2 core policies to help provide financial security for you and your family:
- EziCover Life Insurance. This policy offers a lump sum payment of up to $1,500,000 on your death or diagnosis of terminal illness.
- EziCover Income Protection. This policy pays out a monthly benefit for a period of up to 5 years if you are unable to work due to accidental injury.
Who is eligible?
To apply, you must be between 19 and 69 years of age, based in Australia as an Australian resident or in the process of applying for Australian residency. If you have pre-existing health conditions, you may not be eligible for cover.
Note: Be sure to check the Product Disclosure Statement (PDS) for terms and conditions.
Key features of Zurich adviser policies
- Zurich Income Safeguard. This provides you with a monthly benefit if you become disabled due to sickness or injury and can't work for longer than the waiting period.
- Zurich Business Expenses. This can provide you with a monthly benefit to reimburse business expenses or key person replacement costs if the insured person becomes disabled.
- Zurich Child Cover. This provides you with a lump sum if your child suffers a trauma condition covered by Zurich. It can also include a death, terminal illness and carer benefit.
Note: Be sure to check the Product Disclosure Statement (PDS) for terms and conditions.
Zurich offers a number of rewards and savings including:
- Multi-policy discount. This discount applies each year that you hold more than one life risk policy, or when you take out more than one type of standalone cover within the one policy. The maximum discount available is 10%.
- COVID vaccination protection. Zurich life insurance customers who suffer a serious side effect from an approved vaccination before the end of 2021 are eligible for a one-off benefit of up to $50,000 - in addition to any standard payouts from a policy. Death or disability from a COVID infection is already covered by life insurers.
How much does Zurich life insurance cost?
To give you a general idea of the cost, we generated a quote for Zurich Ezicover Life Insurance with $500,000 in cover. The policy was quoted at $42.53 per month.
Quote was generated on 05 October 2021 for a 37 year old non-smoking male in New South Wales.
These factors will affect your cost with Zurich
There are several factors that determine the cost of your Zurich life insurance cover, including:
- Your age
- Your gender
- The type of cover you select
- The level of cover you select
- Whether you choose direct life insurance or advised life insurance
- Your occupation and pastimes
- Your health and smoking status
For a more accurate idea of how much cover will cost, apply for a quote today.
What are some of the key exclusions?
The exclusions vary depending on the type of cover you opt for. Below is a basic summary of what's excluded in some of its products.
Your Zurich Ezicover Life Insurance claim will not be paid if death occurs as a result of suicide within 13 months of:
- The start date of cover
- Any increase in cover (but only in respect of that increase)
- Cover being reinstated
Your Ezicover Income Protection claim will not be paid if it arises due to:
- An intentional self-inflicted act or attempted suicide
- Uncomplicated pregnancy or childbirth
- Unemployment not caused by sickness or injury
- An act of war
- Your use of illicit substances
- You committing (or attempting to commit) a criminal act
- You being incarcerated or lawfully detained
- Elective surgery (unless you are disabled for a period of more than 90 days)
- Events that occur outside Australia, if the Australian Government has advised against travel to that country
- Any other exclusion agreed with you when you apply for cover
More about Zurich Australia
Zurich Australia is part of the Zurich Insurance Group, a leading insurer that offers an extensive range of property and casualty, and life insurance products. Founded in Zurich, Switzerland, in 1872, the group now operates in more than 210 countries and territories around the world.
Zurich first arrived in Australia in 1961. It now employs more than 1,000 people throughout Australia and New Zealand and offers insurance to suit individuals, small businesses, large companies and multinational corporations.
Questions you've asked about Zurich, answered ✅
How do I make a claim with Zurich?
If you or your beneficiaries need to make a claim on your Zurich life insurance policy, you'll need to call Zurich as soon as possible on 131 551. You'll then need to fill in a claim form and return it to the insurer along with any medical certificates or other supporting documents required.
Once Zurich's Claims Team receives your claim form they will contact you within 24 to 48 hours.
Will my Zurich life insurance premiums go up each year as I get older?
This depends on whether you choose stepped or level premiums. Level premiums do not increase as you age, while stepped premiums increase at each policy anniversary based on your age. However, it's worth mentioning that level premiums will also increase due to policy fee changes, rate increases and indexation.
Will I need to undergo a medical examination before purchasing Zurich life insurance?
No medical test is required if you buy a Zurich Ezicover direct life insurance policy. However, medical tests may be required for other policies.
How do I adjust my level of Zurich life insurance cover?
You can change your level of cover at any time by phoning Zurich Australia on 1800 394 268.
I have a pre-existing medical condition – will I still be able to get Zurich life insurance?
That depends on the condition. You have a responsibility to disclose full details of your condition to the insurer so that Zurich can decide whether or not to provide you with cover.
Some conditions are automatically covered while others may require additional medical information and may lead to a higher premium. Certain conditions will be excluded.
Is Zurich Australia a reputable, established insurer?
Yes. Zurich Australia can trace its roots back to the 1920 founding of the Commonwealth General Assurance Corporation in New South Wales. It was acquired by the worldwide Zurich Insurance Group in 1961 and today employs more than 1,000 people across Australia and New Zealand.
Zurich Insurance Group is a multi-line insurer that offers a wide range of insurance products and services in over 210 countries and territories.
Does Zurich life insurance cover me overseas?
Yes. You can enjoy worldwide cover 365 days a year.
Premiums can be paid on a monthly, quarterly, half-yearly or yearly basis.