Caravan Insurance

Caravan road sign

Get comprehensive cover for your caravan or trailer and keep it secure on the road, at your home or in the park.

Caravan insurance will keep your caravan or trailer protected for damage, theft, fire among other losses while it is on the road or secure at your home or caravan park. Most providers will also let you cover the contents of the caravan so your belongings remain protected and lay up cover when your caravan is not being used.

This guide will cover everything you need to know about caravan insurance to help you choose the right option. Read to apply, compare options in the table below.

Compare caravan insurance from the panel

Details Features
Get up to 26% discount when caravan or trailer is stored in secure parking.
  • Accidental and intentional damage cover
  • Legal liability cover up to $20 million
  • Up to $1,000 caravan park cancellation fees
  • Cover for contents inside caravan with an option for to cover up to $1,000 per item
Get Quote More info
Third Party Fire and Theft
Third Party Fire and Theft
Get up to 26% discount when caravan or trailer is stored in secure parking.
  • Fire, theft and earthquake cover
  • Legal liability cover up to $20 million
  • Option to cover up to $1,000 per item inside watercraft
  • Up to $1,000 caravan park cancellation fees
Get Quote More info
Third Party Property Only
Third Party Property Only
Get up to 26% discount when caravan or trailer is stored in secure parking.
  • Liability cover up to $20 million
  • Maritime liability cover up to $10 million
  • $200 traveller bonus reward if driver visits every mainland state
Get Quote More info

What is covered by caravan insurance?

  • Accidental damage. This benefit covers the cost of damages if your caravan or trailer is involved in an accident.
  • Theft or attempted theft. If your van is stolen or damaged by attempted theft, caravan insurance provides financial protection for repair or replacement.
  • Malicious damage and vandalism. You’ll be covered for loss or damage caused to your caravan as a result of vandalism.
  • Fire. If your caravan is damaged or destroyed by fire, caravan insurance can cover the cost of its repair or replacement.
  • Storm. Loss or damage caused by storms is also included in cover.
  • Flood. Some caravan insurance policies will provide cover for loss or damage to your caravan as a result of flood.
  • Legal liability cover. If an incident occurs that leads to death, injury, loss or damage to another person, your caravan insurance policy will cover your legal liability, including the costs incurred in your legal defence.
  • Contents cover. Caravan insurance policies also typically include a certain level of cover for your contents. This includes food spoilage cover following an insured event as well as cover for loss or damage to carpets, household goods, CDs and DVDs, clothes, entertainment systems, televisions, personal belongings, furniture, furnishings, jewellery, tools and more.
  • Temporary accommodation. Your temporary accommodation costs will be covered if your static caravan cannot be lived in following an insured event. Similar cover will apply if an insured event occurs to your touring caravan or trailer when you’re more than a specified distance from home.
  • Storage costs. You’ll be covered for storage costs following an insured incident.
  • Legal representation. This benefit provides cover for the cost of your legal representation if you need to be represented before a coroner conducting an inquiry or if you need to be represented before a magistrate.
  • Towing. This benefit provides cover if your touring caravan or trailer needs to be towed from the site of an incident to a repairer or a place of safety.
  • Emergency repairs. If an insurer agrees to cover your claim and you’ve already made emergency repairs to your caravan or trailer, the insurer may cover the cost of those emergency repairs.

Optional cover

  • Additional contents cover. Some insurance providers offer the option of taking out a higher level of cover for your caravan contents or increasing the insured limit for specified valuable items. You’ll need to pay an extra premium to take advantage of this option.
  • Annexe cover. You can extend your caravan insurance policy to provide cover for your annexe in the event of a range of insured incidents such as fire, storm, theft and malicious damage. However, if your annexe is made of canvas, vinyl or fabric, the insurer will need to be certain that it was in good condition before the incident.
  • Cover break. Some insurers will allow you to take a break from cover for a limited period if you know you won’t be using your touring caravan during that time. This allows you to save money on premiums.

What do insurers cover when it comes to caravans?

Caravan and motorhome insurance are two different things. You drive motorhomes, but pull caravans, meaning they’re a lot like trailers for insurance purposes, and can sometimes be covered, or partly covered, by the car insurance policy of the vehicle that tows it. There are also more specialised options to offer distinct protection for caravans in particular, whether they’re touring, static or folding caravans.

Youi Caravan and Trailer Insurance

Youi offers a range of standalone insurance options for your caravan or trailer. You can choose from:

  • Comprehensive Caravan Insurance. This covers you against accident, fire, theft, natural disasters and damage to someone else’s property.
  • Third Party Fire & Theft. This policy covers fire, theft, earthquake and damage to someone else’s property.
  • Third Party Property Only. This is the cheapest Youi policy option and it covers you for damage to someone else’s property.

Budget Direct Car Insurance

Budget Direct offers caravan and trailer cover under its comprehensive car insurance policies. Under a Gold Comprehensive policy, $1,000 of cover is included for collision damage to your caravan or trailer, while Standard Comprehensive policies include $500 collision damage cover for trailers only. Both policies also include $20 million of legal liability cover.

Woolworths Car Insurance

Caravan owners can benefit from the cover provided under a Woolworths Comprehensive Car Insurance policy or Third Party Property, Fire & Theft Car Insurance policy. Up to $1,000 of cover is available for loss or damage that occurs to your caravan or trailer while attached to your car. Legal liability protection is also included.

What are the different types of caravan insurance?

  • Touring caravan insurance. This type of policy is designed to cover caravans that are towed behind another vehicle. It covers the contents of your caravan and provides protection against incidents such as accidental damage, fire, theft and storm.
  • Static caravan insurance. Static caravan insurance is for caravans that are kept in a fixed location, like on a site at a caravan park. You can take out cover for accidental damage, vandalism, theft, fire, storm and more.
  • Camper trailer and folding camper insurance. If you own a camper trailer or are looking for cover for a horse float or box trailer, this is the right policy for you. It covers theft, fire, storm, vandalism and much more.

What isn’t covered?

General exclusions applied to caravan insurance

  • It is for loss or damage that occurs outside Australia
  • It is for loss or damage to your caravan or trailer while on consignment
  • It is for repairs to old damage
  • It is for loss of value of your caravan or trailer
  • It is for the cost of fixing previous faulty repairs
  • It is for tyre damage caused by road cuts, punctures, breaking or bursting
  • It is for loss or damage to glass, ceramic or a sanitary item where there is a fracture that doesn’t extend all the way through the item
  • It is for loss or damage covered under any manufacturer’s warranty
  • It arises due to rust, corrosion, gradual deterioration or wear and tear
  • It is a result of erosion
  • It is caused by actions of the sea (except a storm surge that happens at the same time as a storm or flood, high tides or king tides, sea waves or normal movement or changes in ocean levels)
  • It is caused by subsidence or landslide, unless it happens as a result of earthquake, explosion, storm or flood
  • It is caused by mould, atmospheric conditions or extreme temperature
  • It is a result of faulty design or workmanship
  • It is caused by fusion of electric motors
  • It is a result of the repair or replacement of any item that explodes
  • It is a result of the repair or replacement of any item from which liquid leaps or escapes
  • It is caused by the lawful seizure or confiscation of your caravan or trailer
  • It is for loss or damage caused by mechanical, structural or electrical failure
  • It is caused by tree lopping or felling
  • You failed to secure your caravan or trailer in a safe position after it broke down, suffered accidental damage, or was stolen and then found
  • It is caused by vermin, rodents, insects or birds
  • It arises because your caravan or trailer was being used for any unlawful purpose

How much cover do I need?

You’ll need to take several factors into account in order to determine the right level of cover for your situation.

  • First, consider the value of your caravan and how much it would cost to repair or replace following an insured event. If your caravan is brand new, you’ll probably want a policy that offers new for old replacement of your van, while owners of older vans should do a little research to determine the market value of their caravan.
  • Next, consider how you will be using your caravan. Is it an on-site van or a touring caravan? How far will you be travelling and through what sort of terrain? Are you planning one big trip or several smaller trips?
  • The final step is to consider what you want your policy to cover. In addition to fire, storm, theft and malicious damage, do you need cover for towing costs and temporary accommodation? Do you require additional cover for an extra premium such as extra contents cover for valuable items?

Consider these carefully when doing a touring or static caravan or camper trailer insurance comparison.

How much does caravan insurance cost?

The cost of caravan insurance varies depending on the value of your caravan and how you’re using it.

How much does touring caravan insurance cost?

Touring caravan insurance is like car insurance. You can choose between CTP only, third party insurance options, or comprehensive cover. Touring caravan insurance costs get higher the more valuable your caravan is, the more cover you take out and the riskier your driving history is.

How much is static caravan insurance?

Static caravan insurance works a lot like home insurance. You can choose from options including cover for furniture and other contents and protection from natural disaster, theft, vandalism, accidental damage, and other typical home insurance offerings. The higher the sum you insure your caravan for, the more your static caravan insurance will cost.

 Keeping your caravan safe

  • Lock it up. Invest in security devices such as wheel clamps or hitch locks to reduce the risk of thieves hooking your caravan up to their vehicle. You may also want to consider fitting a tracking device.
  • Security matters. Fit security alarms and immobilisers to further deter thieves. A security camera or system could also be a good idea.
  • Hide your valuables. To ensure that your caravan isn’t an attractive target for thieves, hide your valuables so they can’t be seen from the outside.
  • Get photographic evidence. Take photos of the inside and exterior of your caravan that you can provide as proof to your insurer following theft or malicious damage.
  • Join a club. If you regularly travel with the other members of a caravan club or group, you can enjoy safety in numbers and may also be able to take advantage of insurance discounts.

A caravan is a great investment, so protecting it with the right caravan insurance is essential. Compare your policy options to find the cover you need to relax and explore Australia in style.

Compare caravan insurance policies

Picture: Shutterstock

Was this content helpful to you? No  Yes

Related Posts

Ask a Question

You are about to post a question on

  • Do not enter personal information (eg. surname, phone number, bank details) as your question will be made public
  • is a financial comparison and information service, not a bank or product provider
  • We cannot provide you with personal advice or recommendations
  • Your answer might already be waiting – check previous questions below to see if yours has already been asked

Disclaimer: At we provide factual information and general advice. Before you make any decision about a product read the Product Disclosure Statement and consider your own circumstances to decide whether it is appropriate for you.
Rates and fees mentioned in comments are correct at the time of publication.
By submitting this question you agree to the privacy policy, receive follow up emails related to and to create a user account where further replies to your questions will be sent.

Ask a question