Whether you’re roaming the great outdoors or spinning the wheels in your great backyard, there’s a lot that can go wrong if you own a caravan. CGU’s comprehensive caravan cover can help protect you against incidents such as theft and fire, so you get to concentrate on living life to the full without worrying about what might happen to your home on wheels.
We don't currently have this brand on our panel. But don't fret! You can head to the CGU website or compare a bunch of other caravan insurance companies with finder.
Compare caravan insurance from CGU
What cover options are available?
CGU offers comprehensive caravan cover, which includes $30 million liability insurance and a range of additional features at no extra cost.
You can choose between on-site or Australia-wide cover. The former only protects a locked caravan at a nominated address somewhere in Australia, but you receive cheaper premiums as a result.
How does each cover type compare?
|Feature||Comprehensive (on-site)||Comprehensive (Australia-wide)|
|Accidental loss or damage to your caravan and contents (such as by theft and fire)|
|Legal liability up to $30 million|
|Temporary accommodation up to $100 per day for five days, if you’re on vacation|
|Automatic renewal of previous cover following a claim (not for total replacement)|
|Towing costs to repairer|
|Contents return to home up to $500|
|Contents replacement, maximum $500 per item|
|Electric motor repair/replace|
|Total caravan repair/replace|
Are there any additional cover options?
In addition to the features listed above, you can select a number of optional cover extras, including:
- Theft of contents from an annexe. This will cover you in the event of a violent entry to a locked annexe, assuming the annexe isn’t made of canvas, vinyl or fabric.
- Flood cover. The default insurance doesn’t cover flood damage, so you can add it on with this option.
- No claim bonus. Get 10% off your premium after one claim-free year, or 20% after two.
What exclusions are there?
As with all insurance policies, there is a range of situations and incidents that CGU will not cover. CGU will not compensate you for your caravan if the damage or loss is caused:
- By reckless or irresponsible driving. Unlicenced drivers or drivers who are under the influence of drugs or alcohol will automatically exclude an incident from cover.
- By corrosion or other natural wear. If you fail to conduct proper maintenance on your caravan, it can accrue rot, mold and corrosion. You won’t be covered for this kind of damage or normal depreciation over time or from repairs.
- By mechanical breakdown. Mechanical, electrical or structural breakdown is not compensated by this policy.
- When another insurance applies. When you’re involved in an accident that’s covered by another form of insurance (such as third-party compulsory insurance), CGU won’t cover you also.
- While being used for an unintended purpose. When driving or using your caravan in a manner it’s not designed for, you won’t be covered.
- While being used for unlawful activities. If whoever is in charge of your caravan at the time of an incident is committing a crime or breaking a regulation, you won’t be able to claim.
What excess do I need to pay?
You will need to pay the standard excess nominated on your policy whenever you make an insurance claim. The only situation where you are not liable to pay an excess is if the accident is not your fault and you are able to provide the name and address of the person who caused the accident.
How do I make a claim?
If you need to make a claim in the event of an accident, follow these steps:
- Contact CGU immediately on 13 24 80. Let them know that an incident has occurred. Any delay in contacting CGU could result in a lower payment or refusal of compensation.
- Collect the information you need. This includes names and details of anybody involved in the accident, any letters or notices received within 72 hours of the accident, and the incident report number for theft, vandalism or a malicious act. Taking photographs of the damage or site of the incident may assist the claim process.
- Submit any requested documentation to CGU. This could include proof of ownership of property, inspection reports, photos of the incident or repairer quotations.
Why you can trust Finder's car insurance experts
You pay the same as buying directly from the car insurer. Better still, we regularly run exclusive deals that you won't find on any other site – plus, our tables make it easy to compare policies.
Unlike other comparison sites, we're not owned by an insurer. That means our opinions are our own and we work with lots of car insurance brands, making it easier for you to find a good deal.
Since 2014, we've helped 300,000+ people find car insurance by explaining your cover options, simply and clearly. We'll never ask for your number or email. We're here to help you make a decision.
We're here to help
More guides on Finder
The best Black Friday PlayStation 5 deals 2023: Up to 65% off
Black Friday has arrived early and with discounts across PlayStation 5 consoles, games and peripherals, there's plenty to be excited about.
Black Friday mattress deals: Get 55% off right now [Updated]
Here are all the best Black Friday mattress deals from Koala, Emma, Eva and loads more.
Black Friday 2023: The 50 best sales so far
All the biggest sales from Black Friday in one place: including 55% off Emma Sleep, 65% off Amazon tech and $550 off Dyson.
The best Black Friday vacuum cleaner deals 2023: Up to 60% off
The Black Friday vacuum cleaner deals have finally arrived, and there's no better time to score a discount on leading brands like Dyson.
Nintendo Switch Black Friday deals 2023 Australia: Up to 57% off
Check out the very best deals on Nintendo Switch consoles and games this Black Friday, with prices up to 57% off.
Apple Watch Black Friday Australia 2023 sale: Save $470
Score a Black Friday bargain on Apple Watches of all kinds with these deals of up to $420 off.
Apple AirPods Black Friday sale: Up to 35% off
Black Friday has officially arrived, and with it have landed some unmissable deals on Apple AirPods of all kinds including 35% off.
McLaren 750S touches down in Australia
The McLaren 750S sits in the market like a bespoke tailored suit among off-the-rack outfits: eye-wateringly expensive for many, but in the realm of supercars, it's competitively priced.
2023 Black Friday deals on internet plans
With wholesale NBN prices going up next month, it's never been a better time to snag a deal on your internet plan.
Buying Taylor Swift resale tickets? Don’t forget your travel insurance
It's time to enter your protected era.