Finder makes money from featured partners, but editorial opinions are our own.

Compulsory third party insurance

If you’re in QLD or NSW you need to take out compulsory third party insurance (greenslip) before registering your car. In others, it's included in your registration fees.

Greenslips 4 Earth (NSW only)

  • Compare 6 CTP insurers in NSW
  • Simple online calculator
  • 1 tree planted per policy sold
Get Quote
Important note: Greenslips 4 Earth’s comparison is for NSW residents only. Ts&Cs apply.

What you need to know

  • Compulsory third party (CTP) car insurance, sometimes known as a green slip, protects you from legal and medical costs arising from injuries and deaths caused by car accidents.
  • CTP insurance is compulsory in Australia. You cannot register your vehicle without it.
  • Only 6 insurance companies in Australia are licensed to provide CTP insurance. Of these, 4 have the option of additional at-fault cover.

Who offers compulsory third party insurance?

Youi logo


More info
AAMI logo


More info
GIO Logo


More info
Allianz logo


More info
NRMA logo


More info
QBE Logo


More info

What does compulsory third party insurance cover?

Compulsory third party insurance provides cover for compensation costs to people injured or killed in an accident involving your vehicle. This can include you (the driver of the vehicle), other drivers (including cyclists and motorcyclists), passengers and pedestrians.

The type of compensation available covers both economic and non-economic loss, meaning that hospital, medical and rehabilitation expenses as well as loss of income will be covered, as is pain, suffering and loss of quality of life.

You can generally receive medical expenses for up to 6 months, as well as attendant care if you need help around the home while you recover.

If your injury is more serious, and you were not mostly at fault, you can claim benefits for longer than the 6 months.


Finder survey: Have many Australians have claimed on their CTP insurance?

Source: Finder survey by Pure Profile of 1006 Australians, December 2023

What's not covered by CTP insurance?

Compulsory third party insurance won't cover you for damage to your vehicle and damage to other people's vehicles or property. For this, you'll need to consider other car insurance options such as comprehensive car insurance or third party car insurance>.

Where do I buy CTP insurance?

Queensland icon


In Queensland, you need to take out CTP insurance before registering your car. There are currently 6 private car insurance companies to choose from: Allianz, QBE, RACQ and Suncorp.

New South Wales icon

New South Wales

In New South Wales, you need to get your CTP insurance ('greenslip') before registering your car with a private insurer. There are currently 6 available: Youi, AAMI, GIO, Allianz, NRMA and QBE.

Australian Capital Territory icon

Australian Capital Territory

The ACT Motor Accident Injuries (MAI) insurance scheme replaced CTP insurance on 1 February 2020. MAI must be paid at the same time as car registration. There are currently 4 licensed private insurers to choose from: NRMA, GIO, AAMI and APIA.

Victoria icon


In Victoria, you pay for your rego and CTP together. The Transport Accident Commission (TAC) is the only insurer under the scheme.

Tasmania icon


CTP is included in your car registration in Tasmania. There are no private insurers in Tasmania so you don't need to choose a CTP provider.

South Australia icon

South Australia

The CTP insurance scheme in South Australia was opened up to private insurers in July 2016. You will have to choose from 4 private insurers: AAMI, Allianz, QBE or SGIC.

Western Australia icon

Western Australia

In WA, there's only 1 CTP insurance provider: the Insurance Commission of Western Australia (ICWA). Cover is automatically included when you pay for your car rego.

Northern Territory icon

Northern Territory

CTP insurance is included in your registration in the Northern Territory and administered by the Territory Insurance Office (TIO) so you don't need to worry about choosing between specific CTP insurers.

Can I switch my CTP insurer? What's the process like?

It depends where you live. In Queensland, New South Wales, South Australia or the ACT you're able to choose your own CTP insurance provider.

When your renewal date gets near, you'll be sent a renewal notice by your current insurer. It'll show you a renewal price they've set for the next 12 months. However, you don't need to renew with them.

By using a green slips calculator, you have the option to look and see who provides the best option for you. These calculators let you compare prices side-by-side.

Note – CTP prices in Queensland are the same.

However, in all other states or territories of Australia, CTP's offered by a state-owned or government-licensed insurance provider.

Keen to learn more? Find out how car insurance works

Remember, if you're involved an accident, CTP won't cover you for any damage caused to you or anyone else’s car or property – but comprehensive car insurance will.

Compare comprehensive car insurance.

Why you can trust Finder's car insurance experts

freeYou pay nothing. Finder is free to use. And you pay the same as going direct. No markups, no hidden fees.
expert adviceYou save time. We spend 100s of hours researching car insurance so you can sort the gold from the junk faster.
independentYou can trust us. We say it like it is. We aren't owned by an insurer and our opinions are our own.

Frequently asked questions about CTP and green slip insurance

More guides on Finder

Ask a Question

You are about to post a question on

  • Do not enter personal information (eg. surname, phone number, bank details) as your question will be made public
  • is a financial comparison and information service, not a bank or product provider
  • We cannot provide you with personal advice or recommendations
  • Your answer might already be waiting – check previous questions below to see if yours has already been asked

Finder only provides general advice and factual information, so consider your own circumstances, or seek advice before you decide to act on our content. By submitting a question, you're accepting our Terms Of Service and Finder Group Privacy & Cookies Policy.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

16 Responses

    Default Gravatar
    KellyFebruary 7, 2019

    How do I find the best insurance for a Mercedes sprinter mobile home?

      JoshuaFebruary 17, 2019Finder

      Hi Kelly,

      Thanks for getting in touch with Finder. I hope all is well with you. :)

      While we currently don’t have a specific page for Mercedes sprinter mobile homes, our list of trailer insurance might cover your mobile home. You can compare quotes from different insurers by pressing the ‘Get Quote’ button. You’ll also find useful information about how to find the right insurance for you on that page.

      I hope this helps. Should you have further questions, please don’t hesitate to reach out again.

      Have a wonderful day!


    Default Gravatar
    AdamOctober 27, 2018

    Hey i need a wrx insurance

      Default Gravatar
      NikkiOctober 27, 2018

      Hi Adam,

      Thanks for visiting our page.

      You may refer to our list of car insurance to compare quotes from different insurers. As a friendly reminder, carefully review the Product Disclosure Statement of the product before applying. You may also contact the insurance provider should you have any questions about their policy.

      Hope this was helpful. Don’t hesitate to message us back if you have more questions.


    Default Gravatar
    jamieFebruary 8, 2018

    a council bus swiped my park car. i paid the excess and higher car as i could not drive the car from the damage. im out of pocket $1200 am i allowed to be reimbursed this money through my insurance company from there insurance company?

      Default Gravatar
      AshMarch 1, 2018

      Hi Jamie,

      Thank you for reaching out to us.

      As to whether you’re entitled to a reimbursement, that will depend on the type of policy you have. For instance, compulsory third-party (CTP) car insurance can only cover the injuries caused by the accident but not for the damages incurred in the vehicle or property.

      I suggest you refer to your policy or contact your insurer directly if you’re still unsure of your coverage. Meanwhile, you can go through our step-by-step guide on things to do after a car accident.

      I hope this helps.

      Please do not hesitate to reach out to us again if you have additional questions.


    Default Gravatar
    JohnJuly 19, 2015

    I am a temporary resident. Can I claim MCIS Levies (part of CTP payment ) on my personal tax return?

      RichardJuly 20, 2015Finder

      Hi John,

      Thanks for your question.

      For any tax or financial advice, you should consult a licensed professional. I am unaware of a situation where you can claim a deduction for MCIS Levies. However, if you’ve canceled your vehicle’s registration, you may be entitled to a partial refund. If you would like to know more, please refer to the Motor Accident Guidelines.

      I hope this was helpful,

    Default Gravatar
    emmaJune 30, 2015

    Do i need a greenslip and third party insurance or are these the same thing?

      RichardJune 30, 2015Finder

      Hi Emma,

      Thanks for your question. It depends on the type of third party insurance. A Greenslip is also called Compulsory Third Party or CTP insurance. However, there is also Third Party Property Damage (also known as TPPD) and Third Party Property Damage Fire and Theft (also known as TPPFF&T), which are different, non-compulsory, types of car insurance.

      I hope this was helpful,

Go to site