$115 off your premium for the first year + $10 monthly credit
Kogan started offering insurance in 2017, after building a reputation for quality and affordability over more than a decade.
Working alongside QBE Insurance (Australia) Limited, Kogan aims to make its policies the most affordable in Australia, with a range of automatic inclusions and optional extras for each cover type. Kogan offers 2 core types of car insurance:
- Comprehensive car insurance. Comprehensive damage and accident cover, plus a range of extra benefits and an optional extra.
- Third party property damage. Legal liability cover for damage to another’s vehicle or property. Also, the option to add fire and theft to your policy.
Ready to compare policies?
What cover options does Kogan offer?
Comprehensive car insurance
The highest level of cover available, covers you against losses resulting from accidents on the road as well as fire, theft, attempted theft or malicious damage and a wide range of natural events such as storms, hail and flooding.
Included additional benefits
Kogan comprehensive car insurance includes the full range of additional benefits:
- New for old car replacement. You can get an equivalent new car replacement if your insured car is written off within 3 years of its initial registration date, including all stamp fees and delivery costs.
- Substitute car legal liability cover. Legal liability cover for any uninsured registered substitute car that you’re driving while your insured car is in for repairs after a claim.
- Trailer and caravan cover. Cover up to $1,000 for accidental loss or damage to an attached trailer or caravan if your vehicle is damaged in the same accident.
- Essential repair cover. Up to Yes - $500 for essential repairs to get your car roadworthy again after an accident, so it can be driven to your intended destination.
- Emergency accommodation. Up to Yes - $1,000 to pay for the reasonable cost of essential accommodation and transport if you’re away from home and your car can’t be driven (this feature covers you and any passengers)
- Transit cover. Cover for loss or damage to your car while it’s being transported by road, rail, ship or air between any locations in Australia, including during loading or unloading.
- Personal property cover. Up to $1,000 cover for personal property that’s in your car at the time of an event. This only covers items that are designed to be worn or held, such as clothing and handbags, but does not cover things like mobile phones, tablets or trade goods.
- Cover for child safety seats and prams. Kogan will replace a damaged or stolen baby capsules and child seats which are inside your car at the time of the claimable event.
- Cover for locks and keys. Cover for replacing locks and keys and for recoding if your keys are reported stolen.
- Cover for towing costs. Pays out for reasonable and necessary towing expenses, as required to get your damaged car to repairer or safe location.
With comprehensive cover, you can choose from the full range of Kogan car insurance optional extras:
- Excess-free windscreen cover. Allows you to avoid paying an excess on claims for broken or damaged windscreens once per policy period.
- Hire car extra. Covers the cost of a rental car, for up to 14 days if yours is out of action.
- Choice of repairer. This policy feature lets you choose where to get your car serviced or fixed.
Third party property damage car insurance
This basic policy provides legal liability cover in the event that you cause damage to other people’s cars or property. It offers up to $30,000,000 worth of legal liability cover, including cover for legal costs that may be incurred by defending yourself against claims from other people.
Included additional benefits
Kogan’s no-frills policy also includes an uninsured motorist extension, so you will be insured for damage caused by an uninsured driver. This uninsured motorist extension can pay out up to $5,000.
If you change your car, cover automatically switches to your new car, for up to 14 days.
You can opt in to fire and theft cover, which has a benefit limit of $10,000.
Compare policy features
|Benefit||Comprehensive||Third party property damage|
|A 21-day cooling-off period|
|24/7 emergency claims|
|Caravan and trailer cover||$1,000||$0|
|Choice of agreed value|
|Choice of excess|
|Emergency accommodation and transport costs||Yes - $1,000||$0|
|New for old replacement||Yes - If your car is written off in the first 3 years and has not travelled more than 60,000km|
|Personal property cover||$1,000||$0|
|Replacement of keys and recoding of locks|
|Essential temporary repairs||Yes - $500||$0|
|Hire car following theft||Yes - Reasonable costs - Up to 14 days||Optional - (Max 14 days)|
|Cover for towing costs||Yes||Optional|
|Uninsured motorist benefit||$5,000|
|Choice of repairer||Optional|
|Excess-free windscreen cover||Optional|
|Hire car - Extra||Optional - Reasonable costs - Up to 14 days|
Note: This information was last updated October 2023
Are there any general exclusions I should be aware of?
Kogan car insurance will not pay your claim in the following circumstances:
- Your car was driven by someone under the age restriction shown on your certificate of insurance.
- Your car was being driven by someone who was not properly licensed.
- Your car was driven by someone on a learner license not accompanied by a fully licensed driver.
- Your car was being driven by someone under the influence of alcohol or drugs, or who refused to undergo a drug or alcohol test if asked by the police.
- Your car was being used as a courier or delivery vehicle, or to carry dangerous or polluting goods in large quantities.
- Your car was being used for any motor sport or racing.
- You were using your car to carry more passengers or tow a heavier load than it was designed to do.
- Your car was in an un-roadworthy condition.
- Your car was being driven outside of Australia.
- Your claim resulted from a deliberate, intentional or malicious act by you or someone acting with your consent.
- Your claim is for any damage caused by you knowingly driving your vehicle in a damaged condition.
- Your claim is for depreciation, wear and tear, rust, corrosion or for mechanical, electrical or computer breakdowns.
- Your claim is for any repairs carried out without the express consent of Kogan car insurance.
- Your claim is for damage to tyres by punctures, cuts or bursts.
- You have failed to take reasonable steps to protect your car and prevent loss or damage.
- Your car has been modified or fitted with non-standard accessories without the express consent of Kogan car insurance.
How much does Kogan car insurance cost?
There are several factors that influence exactly how much your Kogan car insurance premium will cost, including:
- The policy type and optional extras you choose
- The claims history of the people who will drive your vehicle
- The age of the drivers and how much driving experience they have
- The age, make and model of your vehicle and any accessories or modifications
- The postcode where your car is kept and whether or not it will be kept garaged overnight
- How you use your car
- The agreed value of your car
- The excess you choose to pay
How can I save money on my policy?
- Should I buy online? Kogan offers up to 12% off your premium if you purchase your policy online. At the time of writing, Kogan was also offering a $100 Kogan.com credit for signing up.
- How much cover do you really need? If you don’t require comprehensive cover, you could save money by choosing a more basic level of cover, while still getting a range of additional benefits and features.
- Which extras do you need? Only choose the extras that you actually need. For example, your credit card might offer complimentary roadside assistance, so you won't need to select this extra.
Why you can trust Finder's car insurance experts
You pay the same as buying directly from the car insurer. Better still, we regularly run exclusive deals that you won't find on any other site – plus, our tables make it easy to compare policies.
Unlike other comparison sites, we're not owned by an insurer. That means our opinions are our own and we work with lots of car insurance brands, making it easier for you to find a good deal.
Since 2014, we've helped 300,000+ people find car insurance by explaining your cover options, simply and clearly. We'll never ask for your number or email. We're here to help you make a decision.
We're here to help
More guides on Finder
The best standing desk in Australia: Our top choice of the year
If you're looking for a standing desk for the home office, the Omnidesk Ascent is our #1 choice for 2023.
Fast NBN plans are now cheaper. Is it worth switching?
It's time to sort out your NBN plan for the new year.
Save $1,583 a year by using index funds instead of active trading | Dollar Saver tip #60
Invest in an index fund instead of actively trading stocks and you not only save on time and fees, you could be earning more in returns too.
5 perks you can score by upgrading your internet this year
SPONSORED: Upgrade your internet before the end of 2023 and get ahead on your life admin! We take a look at some of the benefits of a faster internet connection.
Aussies are struggling to save money, and Gen Z blame themselves
Young Australians cite overspending as the main reason for not reaching their financial goals.
Shein IPO: How to invest in the Shein IPO
What you need to know about investing in Shein from Australia.
Best places to exchange currency in Brisbane
Your guide to currency exchange in Brisbane, including how to get the best exchange rate.
Waiting for rates to fall? Don’t bank on it, says ANZ CEO
Addressing speculation that interest rates might fall in late-2024, ANZ CEO Shayne Elliott said he thought it was too optimistic.
Ask an Expert