Need to get covered? Compare policies and discover if Real Car Insurance is right for you.
Real Insurance is a multi-award winning insurance company that has been providing cover to Aussies since 2005.
If you’re looking for flexible and affordable car insurance, Real Insurance offers the following policy options to Australian drivers:
- Comprehensive Car Insurance
- Pay As You Drive Car Insurance
- Third Party Fire & Theft Insurance
- Third Party Car Insurance
Read on to learn about your policy options.
finder.com.au’s 3 fave features
- You could save up to 10%.
- Pay by the month at no extra cost.
- Pay-As-You-Drive option for those who don't use their car much.
Receive a quote for Real Car Insurance
|Save up to 10% when you buy Real Car Insurance online||Online applicants save 5% on first year premiums, and up to an additional 5% off to exclude drivers under 25. Minimum premiums may reduce savings discount.||
Real Car Insurance customers can choose from the following four policy options:
Comprehensive Car Insurance
The highest level of cover available from Real, this policy provides the ultimate cover for accidents, theft and damage to your car and possessions. Comprehensive Real Car Insurance includes cover for:
- Theft or attempted theft
- Fire damage
- Malicious damage
- Natural events
- New for old car replacement for 24 months
- Towing costs
- Legal liability
- Optional roadside assistance
Pay As You Drive With Real Car Insurance
Real Pay As You Drive Car Insurance offers the same benefits as Comprehensive cover but can potentially save you money as you only pay for the kilometres you plan to drive.
In order to apply for Pay As You Drive Cover you will need to agree to a set amount of kilometres with Real. This should be the maximum distance you think you will drive during your cover period.
Third Party Property, Fire and Theft Car Insurance
- Theft or attempted theft
- Fire damage
- Malicious damage
- Legal liability
- Hire car after theft
- Trailer and caravan cover
Third Party Property Damage Car Insurance
This basic policy protects you against the resulting costs when you cause damage to other peoples’ cars or property.
This no-frills policy is designed to provide essential cover benefits including:
- Uninsured motorist extension benefit
- $20 million of legal liability.
|Benefit||Comprehensive||Pay As You Drive||Third Party Property, Fire & Theft||Third Party Property Damage|
|10% discount if you buy online|
|14 day money-back guarantee|
|24-month new car replacement cover|
|24/7 emergency claims|
|24/7 Roadside assistance|
|Caravan and trailer cover|
|Choice of agreed value|
|Choice of excess|
|Emergency accommodation and travel costs|
|Excess-free windscreen cover|
|Hire car cover|
|Lock and key replacement|
|Max $500 for essential repairs after accident/theft|
|Max $500 for replacement on baby capsules, child seats and prams|
|No extra cost for pay by the month|
|Pay for only the kms you drive|
|Personal property cover|
There are certain situations when Real Insurance will refuse to pay your claim, including:
- Your car was driven by someone under the age restriction shown on your Certificate of Insurance
- Your car was being driven by someone who was not properly licensed
- Your car is driven by a learner license not accompanied by a full licensed driver
- Your car was being driven by someone under the influence of alcohol (over the legal limit) or drugs
- Your car was driven by someone who refused to undergo a drug or alcohol test if asked by the policy
- It arises from your car being used as a courier or delivery vehicle
- Your car was being used for any motor sport or racing
- It results from you using your car to carry more passengers or tow a heavier load than it was designed to do
- Your car is in an un-roadworthy condition
- Your car was being driven outside Australia
- Your claim results from a deliberate, intentional or malicious act by you or someone acting with your consent
- It results from an act of war or revolution
- It is for any consequential loss caused by you knowingly driving your vehicle in a damaged condition
- For depreciation
- For wear and tear or rust and corrosion
- For mechanical, electrical or computer breakdowns
- For any repairs carried out without the express consent of Real Car Insurance
- For damage to tyres by punctures, cuts or bursts
- You have failed to take reasonable steps to protect your car and prevent loss or damage
- Your car has been modified or fitted with non-standard accessories without the express consent of Real Car Insurance.
There are several factors which influence exactly how much your Real Car Insurance premium will cost, including:
- The policy you choose
- The claims history of the people who will drive your vehicle
- The age of the drivers and how much driving experience they have
- The age, make and model of your vehicle
- The extras and accessories you have fitted to your car
- The postcode where your car is kept and whether or not it will be kept garaged overnight
- How you use your car
- Whether you opt for agreed value or market value cover
- Any optional extras you choose
- The excess you choose to pay.
The excess is the amount of money you are required to contribute towards the cost of a claim, however you will not need to pay an excess if you were not at fault for the damage caused and you’ve provided the insurer with relevant details of the other party.
The following excesses may apply to your cover:
- What is a basic excess? This is the excess you chose, listen on your Certificate of Insurance.
- How does an age excess work? This applies in addition to other excesses if at the time of the incident your car was being driven by someone below the age of 25.
- Will an inexperienced and learner driver excess apply to my policy? This applies if your car was being driven at the time of the incident by a learner driver under 18 years of age or someone over 25 years old who has not held a valid licence to drive in Australia for more than two years.
- What is an undeclared young driver excess? If your car is driven by someone under 25 years of age who has not been declared as a driver of your car on your Certificate of Insurance, this excess will apply.
- What does special excess mean? Real may apply this special excess depending on your car, how it is used or the claims history of the drivers of your car. This is listed on your Certificate of Insurance.
- How does an Outside odometer excess work? This excess applies only to Pay As You Drive policies if at the time of the incident your car’s odometer is below the start odometer you provided to Real at the start of your policy or above the end odometer reading as shown on your Certificate of Insurance.
- Is pay Pay As You Drive right for you? This option means you only pay for the kilometres you plan to drive, so you can potentially save a great deal of money over the cost of a Comprehensive policy if you don't drive much.
- Should I get an agreed and market value policy? Agreed value policies may feature higher premiums, though that doesn’t necessarily mean they’re not the right option for you.
- How much cover do you really need? If you don’t require Comprehensive cover, you might be able to save money by choosing a more basic level of cover.
- Do you really need all those extras? If you’re highly unlikely to need the cover provided by extra cover options, consider not adding them to your policy.
- What excess should I choose? Adjust your excess to a level suitable to your needs.
- Should I buy online? Real allows you to take advantage of a discount of up to 10% when you buy your car insurance policy online.
I'm ready to compare policies now
Deciding on the right car for your needs is a very important choice, but deciding on the right car insurance coverage is just as important. Motor vehicle insurance provides financial protection against a wide range of risks, from theft and fire damage right through to liability for causing third party injury or property damage, so you need to know that you have adequate cover in place before you hit the road.
When you’re looking for insurance coverage for your vehicle, each of the four policy options from Real Car Insurance is worth considering. Just make sure you shop around and do plenty of research before you choose one of the many policies available.