Need to get covered? Compare policies and discover if Real Car Insurance is right for you.
Real Insurance offers home insurance, life insurance, travel insurance, funeral insurance, pet insurance and car insurance.
Real Insurance has been providing cover to Aussies since 2005. Real Insurance is a part of The Hollard Group, a global insurer with offices all over the world.
If you’re looking for flexible and affordable car insurance, Real Insurance offers the following policy options to Australian drivers:
- Comprehensive Car Insurance
- Pay As You Drive Car Insurance
- Third Party Fire & Theft Insurance
- Third Party Car Insurance
|Save up to 10% when you buy Real Car Insurance online||Online applicants save 5% on first year premiums, and up to an additional 5% off to exclude drivers under 25. Minimum premiums may reduce savings discount.||
Last verified 12 May 2017
Receive a quote for Real Car Insurance
Real Car Insurance customers can choose from the following four policy options:
Third Party Property Damage Car Insurance
This basic policy protects you against the resulting costs when you cause damage to other peoples’ cars or property.
This no-frills policy is designed to provide essential cover incidents including:
- Uninsured motorist extension benefit
- $20 million of liability.
Third Party Property, Fire and Theft Car Insurance
Comprehensive Car Insurance
The highest level of cover available from Real, this policy provides the ultimate cover for accidents, theft and damage to your car and possessions. Comprehensive Real Car Insurance includes cover for:
Pay As You Drive With Real Car Insurance
Real Pay As You Drive Car Insurance offers the same benefits as Comprehensive cover but costs less as you only pay for the kilometres you plan to drive.
In order to apply for Pay As You Drive Cover you will need to agree to a kilometre range with Real. This is the maximum distance you think you will drive during your cover period.
|Benefit||Third Party Property Damage||Third Party Property, Fire & Theft||Comprehensive||Pay As You Drive|
|10% discount if you buy online||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|14 day money-back guarantee (if no claim was made)||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|24-month new car replacement cover||No||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|24/7 emergency claims||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|24/7 Roadside assistance||Optional||Optional||Optional||Optional|
|Caravan and trailer cover||No||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|Choice of agreed value||No||No||Yes||Yes|
|Choice of excess||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|Emergency accommodation and travel costs||No||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|Excess-free windscreen cover||No||Optional||Optional||Optional|
|Hire car cover||No||Optional||Optional||Optional|
|Lock and key replacement||No||Optional||Optional||Optional|
|Max $500 for essential repairs after accident / theft||No||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|Max $500 for replacement on baby capsules, child seats and prams||No||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|New for old replacement (if car is a total loss in the first 2 years)||No||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|No extra cost for pay by the month||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|Pay for only the kms you drive||No||No||No||Yes|
|Personal property cover||No||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|Substitute car cover||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|Uninsured driver damage||Yes||Yes||No||No|
Real Car Insurance will not pay your claim in these circumstances:Back to top
There are several factors which influence exactly how much your Real Car Insurance premium will cost, including:Back to top
The excess is the amount of money you are required to contribute towards the cost of a claim, however you will not need to pay an excess if you were not at fault for damage caused by another car or if no other car was involved and you were not at fault in any way.
The following excesses may apply to your cover:
- What is a basic excess? This is listed on your certificate of insurance.
- How does an age excess work? This applies in addition to other excesses if at the time of the incident your car was being driven by someone aged between 18 and 25. However, this excess does not apply for claims of fire, theft, malicious damage, broken windscreen, and claims for damage while your car is parked.
- Will an inexperienced and learner driver excess apply to my policy? This applies if your car was being driven at the time of the incident by a learner driver under 18 years of age or someone over 25 years old who has not held an Australian driver’s licence for more than two years.
- What is an undeclared young driver excess? If your car is driven by someone under 25 years of age who has not been declared as a driver of your car on your certificate of insurance, this excess will apply.
- What does special excess mean? Real may apply this special excess depending on your car, how it is used or the claims history of the drivers of your car.
- How does a kilometre range excess work? This excess applies only to Pay As You Drive policies and you exceed the agreed kilometre range as shown on your certificate of insurance.
- Is pay Pay As You Drive right for you? This option means you only pay for the amount of kilometres you drive, so you can save a great deal of money over the cost of a Comprehensive policy.
- Should I get an agreed and market value policy? Agreed value policies usually feature higher premiums, though that doesn’t necessarily mean they’re not the right option for you.
- How much cover do you really need? If you don’t require Comprehensive cover, save money by choosing a more basic level of cover.
- Do you really need all those extras? If you’re highly unlikely to need the cover provided by extra cover options, don’t add them to your policy.
- Can you afford a higher excess? This will result in a lower premium.
- Why not Build Your Own policy? This policy option allows you to pay for the cover you need and none that you don’t.
- Should I buy online? Real allows you to take advantage of a 20% discount when you buy your car insurance policy online.
Q. What optional cover benefits are available?
- A. You may wish to add one or more of the following options to your policy: Pet Cover, Bicycle Cover, Hire Car Cover, Excess-free Windscreen Cover, 24-Month New Car Replacement Cover or Roadside Assistance.
Q. Can I change my excess?
- A. Yes, it’s possible to increase your excess at any time, but you can only decrease your excess when you renew cover.
Q. I’m a learner driver - am I covered?
- A. Yes, Real Car Insurance will cover you as long as you have a valid learner driver’s licence or permit and you are accompanied by a fully licensed driver.
Q. Can I get a CTP green slip from Real Car Insurance?
- A. No, Real does not offer CTP policies.
I'm ready to compare policies now
Deciding on the right car for your needs is a very important choice, but deciding on the right car insurance coverage is just as important. Motor vehicle insurance provides financial protection against a wide range of risks, from theft and fire damage right through to liability for causing third party injury or property damage, so you need to know that you have adequate cover in place before you hit the road.
When you’re looking for insurance coverage for your vehicle, each of the four policy options from Real Car Insurance is worth considering. Just make sure you shop around and do plenty of research before you choose one of the many policies available.