We’re reader-supported and may be paid when you visit links to partner sites. We don’t compare all products in the market, but we’re working on it!
With a variety of policies that can be tailored to meet individual needs, it's no surprise that thousands of Aussie's trust Youi with their car insurance. You can choose between three policies and there's a range of useful add-ons such as hire car replacement, theft of tools and emergency roadside assistance.
- Take advantage of roadside assistance that's standard with Youi's most comprehensive plan. 15 other top brands we looked at only offered this as an optional cover.
- Its comprehensive policy offers $750 in protection for your personal effects – $250 more than you'll get with top cover plans from Budget Direct and Coles.
- Youi's policies are refreshingly simple and faff-free, but keep in mind that you can't build up a no claims bonus with this provider.
Review by our car insurance senior writer James Martin
Ready to compare Youi car insurance?
- Comprehensive. Designed to offer ultimate peace of mind, Youi Comprehensive Car Insurance offers cover for a wide range of insured events and is also available with several optional extras to allow you to increase your level of cover. Other benefits include legal liability cover, cover for additions to the car and also the option to cover contents stored in your vehicle.
- Third Party Fire and Theft. More affordable than a Comprehensive car insurance policy, Third Party Fire and Theft Car Insurance from Youi is a mid-range policy option that provides a reasonably broad range of cover to suit a wide range of budgets. It provides $20 million of legal liability cover if your car causes damage to someone else’s property, and also offers protection against damage caused by risks such as fire and theft. Other benefits, such as cover for towing costs and the option to cover contents inside your vehicle, are also provided.
- Third Party Property Only. This entry-level policy provides basic cover for those who only want insurance for the essentials. It provides $20 million legal liability cover if your car causes damage to someone else’s property, while your temporary replacement vehicle is covered for a limited time after you trade in your first car. Cover is also included if you ever find yourself in the unfortunate situation where an uninsured driver causes accidental damage to your vehicle.
How does each cover type compare?
|Comprehensive||Third Party, Fire and Theft||Third Party Property Only|
|Storm or Flood|
|Emergency Accommodation Transport and Repairs|
|Baby Seat Replacement|
|Personalised Registration Plates|
|Locks and Keys|
|Contents Inside the Car|
|Temporary Replacement Car|
|Hire Car Following a Theft|
|Hire Car for Other Insured Events||Optional||Optional|
|Youi Assist - Roadside|
|Choice of Repairer||Optional||Optional|
Am I covered for business use?
You might be covered for damages to the vehicle itself, however there might be certain business risks that won't be covered e.g. public liability. You might want to also consider business insurance from Youi as well.
Youi will not pay your Car Insurance claim if:
- It is for loss or damage to any illegal property or item
- It is for loss or damage caused by theft or attempted theft by deception
- It is for legal liability for death or personal injury to anyone who should be covered under a statutory compensation scheme
- It is for any event that occurred before cover started or after it ended
- You admit liability that would otherwise have not existed under law
- It arises due to the intentional and deliberate acts or omissions of you or anyone else insured under the policy
- It arises due to any illegal activity, or while your property is being used for any illegal activity
- It is for fines, penalties or aggravated or exemplary damages
- It arises due to the lawful repossession, confiscation or destruction of an insured item or insured property
- It is for any event or any court or tribunal judgment that occurred outside Australia
- It arises due to wear and tear, rust or corrosion
- It arises due to a process of cleaning, restoring, repairing or modifying any insured property
- It is a result of mechanical, electrical or electronic breakdown or failure
- It is caused by poor or faulty design, materials or workmanship
- It arises due to an act of war or looting, rioting or civil commotion
- It is for repair or replacement of a windscreen or window that was already damaged when cover started
- It is for loss of value or depreciation to the vehicle
- It is for tyre damage caused by wear and tear, punctures or deflation
- It results because the car was being driven by someone who did not have your permission to drive (except if the vehicle was stolen)
- It arises because the car was driven by someone who doesn’t have a valid driver’s licence
- It is caused by the car being driven by someone under the influence of alcohol or drugs
- It arises because the car is being used in a reckless manner
- It arises because the car is driven in an unsafe or unroadworthy condition
- It is caused by the use of the incorrect fuel or oil
The cost of your premium can be influenced by a range of factors, including:
- The make, model and age of the car. A high-powered, luxury sports car will obviously cost more to insure than a zippy little runabout.
- What the car is used for. How often your car is driven and where will be taken into account.
- The address where you park the car. Your car could be more at risk of suffering loss or damage in certain areas, for example, theft or storm damage.
- Security where you park the car. Cars kept in secure, locked garages overnight are cheaper to cover than vehicles which are left parked on the street.
- The age, driving history and claims experience of all drivers. These factors will be considered to determine the likelihood of you making a claim.
- Any extra benefits you include. Available options include a hire car for other insured events, as well as cover for business Items and choice of repairer.
- The payment method you choose. Contact Youi for information on the most affordable way to pay your Car Insurance premiums.
- Admin costs, taxes and government charges. Check with the insurer for details about the additional fees and charges that may apply in your state or territory.
- The excess you choose. If you select a higher excess you will receive a lower premium.
You’ll need to pay an excess whenever you make a claim under your Youi Car Insurance policy. A basic excess is payable for each and every claim you make, and you may be given the option of selecting your excess amount (which will also affect the cost of premiums).
You may also need to pay an additional excess in certain circumstances, which are detailed on your policy schedule, or if your claim arises because your vehicle was being driven by someone not listed on your insurance policy.
Finally, Youi also offers the option of paying an extra premium to reduce the excess payable on claims for windscreen damage.
- Provide details. Youi aims to differentiate itself from other insurers by asking more questions when you apply for cover. This allows it to offer insurance tailored to suit your needs, which means you will only pay for the insurance protection you need.
- Choose a higher excess. This will, in turn, lead to more affordable car insurance premiums.
- Choose a lower level of cover. If you don’t want the high level of cover offered by Comprehensive Car Insurance, you can save money by choosing a lower level of cover.
- Minimise your options. Adding extra benefits to your policy will increase your premium.
If you need to make a claim under your Youi policy, keep in mind that each claim can only relate to one incident. It’s essential that you remember to take all reasonable steps in order to minimise and prevent any loss or damage, while you must also allow the insurer to inspect any damaged goods or property for which you are lodging a claim.
Does Youi also insure motorcycles?
Yes. Youi’s Comprehensive, Third Party Fire and Theft, and Third Party Property Only policies are all offered to motorcycle riders.
Are my mods and accessories covered?
Youi covers modifications to improve your vehicle’s performance or handling as long as you tell the insurer about them when you apply for cover. Examples of covered modifications and accessories include engine replacement, raised or lowered suspension, disability modifications and personalised plates.
Does Youi also offer roadside assistance?
Yes. Emergency roadside assistance is automatically included in cover for Comprehensive policyholders.
How much will my car be insured for?
You can choose to insure your car at market value (the replacement cost determined when loss or damage occurs) or agreed value (the amount that you nominate).
More guides on Finder
Prime Day deal: $100 off Sony’s ‘Bose Killing’ Headphones
Get 33% off Sony WH1000XM3 Wireless Noise Cancelling Headphones during Amazon Prime Day 2021. Here's how to get the deal before it disappears.
Amazon Prime Day best book deals for all ages: Up to 55% off
Snap up best-selling reads for the whole family with these great Australian Prime Day offers.
The best Amazon Prime Day phone deals Australia: $600 off
Top offers include 57% off phone accessories, 38% off OPPO and 36% off Nokia.
Amazon Prime Day’s best appliance deals: 49% off De’Longhi, Philips
From air fryers to coffee makers to vacuum cleaners and more, these are the very best appliance deals that Amazon has to offer this Prime Day.
Amazon Prime Day: 75% off these massive beauty brands
Prime Day is your only chance to save big on Olaplex, Maybelline, La-Roche Posay, Calvin Klein fragrances and more.
Best Amazon Prime Day headphone deals: 58% off Sony + heaps more
Top headphone offers include 58% off Sony, 54% off Sennheiser and 45% off Bose.
Prime Day 2021: Up to 40% off tablets from Lenovo, Samsung and Huawei
Prime Day is here – don't miss your chance to save big on these tablets from your favourite tech brands.
Finder Daily Deals: The 5 best deals in Australia today
Today's best Finder Daily deals include: Amazon Prime Day 2021 deals, $270 off Sunbeam coffee machines, $70 off Xbox Series S.
The best Amazon Prime Day deals from Aussie brands: Get 45% off
Here are the Prime Day deals you can feel especially good about shopping.
Amazon Prime Day Australia 2021: All the best deals from Day 2
Here are all the best deals from Amazon Prime Day Australia's second day - including the return of dirt-cheap Nintendo Switch consoles.
Ask an Expert