- AAMI's comprehensive policy includes up to $20 million cover for damage to other people's property and cover for legal modifications and accessories.
- You can speak to customer support personnel through a variety of channels – a rarity in the world of car insurance.
- Its comprehensive policy comes with a slew of features, but if you're looking for your choice of repairer, you'll have to look elsewhere.
We don't currently have this brand on our panel. But don't fret! You can head to the AAMI website or compare a bunch of other car insurance companies with finder.Compare car insurance
AAMI's comprehensive insurance policy comes with the following features:
Comprehensive car insurance might be on the higher end of the scale when it comes to coverage but that doesn't mean it includes everything. AAMI has a selection of optional add-ons you can purchase to add some further protection on the road.
- Hire car after an event for unlimited days. If your car is out of action due to a claim, AAMI will arrange and pay for a hire car to help you get around.
- Windscreen and window glass cover. Get one excess free claim towards the cost to repair or replace windscreen or window glass (including sunroofs).
- AAMI Roadside Assist. Sign up for AAMI's dedicated emergency roadside assistance service as part of your policy.
There are certain scenarios that won't be covered under your car insurance. It's important that you are aware of these exclusions to avoid any surprises in the event of a claim. With AAMI, these include the following:
- The driver of the vehicle having more than the legal blood alcohol limit
- Any reckless act by you or by the driver of your car
- Loss or damage to your car while it is being demonstrated for private sale and you are not a passenger
- Damage to your car's tyres caused by braking, punctures, road cuts or bursting
- Driving your car after it has been damaged in an incident
- Your car being used in a race, contest or any motorsport
- Your car is used for hire (except for rideshare)
- Theft or damage to your car if the car is left unattended, unlocked and with the keys left in the car
- Loss or damage to your car caused by the incorrect type of fuel being used
- Your car has mould, mildew, rust, corrosion or normal wear and tear
Choice of policies
AAMI offers 3 main types of car insurance ranging from compulsory third party cover up to the full coverage of comprehensive insurance.
- CTP Green Slip. Compulsory third party insurance (also referred to as Green Slip Insurance in NSW) covers you if passengers in your car or others on the road file a personal injury claim against you. This insurance is mandatory if you want to register your car.
- Third party. When you don't need or want cover for your own car, third party car insurance is an economical middle-ground of insurance. You'll get cover for damage to other people's property as well as damage to your vehicle by uninsured drivers.
- Comprehensive. AAMI's top level of car insurance covers accidental loss or damage to your car, plus damage your car causes to other people's vehicle and property.
AAMI is the winner of the NSW category for the Customer Satisfaction Awards in 2023. To add to that, it was highly commended for the national award as well. What a great effort!
Full list of 2023 winners
AAMI Safe Driver Rewards and AAMI Skilled Drivers Course
When you decide to opt for comprehensive car insurance, you will enjoy 2 additional benefits from AAMI.
AAMI Safe Driver Rewards®
Drive safely for a year and AAMI will reward you with a credit that can be used for the following year's premium. Continue to drive safely each year and you can enjoy up to 15% off. You also get discounts on AAMI Roadside Assistance and this discount keeps increasing with time, with a potential 25% off.
AAMI Skilled Drivers Course
A course for young drivers to get a better understanding of road safety. If you, your child or your grandchild are under 25, you can enrol and enjoy a 10% reduction in your premium on successful completion. The discount applies as long as the participant remains a listed driver and until they reach the age of 25.
There are a number of factors that will impact the premium you pay for car insurance. With AAMI, this can include the following:
- Your address
- Age and gender of listed drivers
- Type and age of car
- Annual distance the car is driven
- Your claims history
To give you a better idea of how much you could be up for, we gathered quotes to find the average car insurance premium cost from a variety of providers, including AAMI. We found that AAMI fared well compared to its competitors with an average of $1,010 per year for comprehensive cover.
You can make a claim 24/7 by calling AAMI on 13 22 44, using the AAMI app or online. Alternatively, you can submit a claim online by following these steps:
- Head to https://online.aami.com.au/mac/aami
- Enter your full name, date of birth and date of the incident to start
- Describe what happened including any details of any other people involved
- Upload any documents or photos to support your claim
- Submit, and you should hear back within 2 business days
When you buy a new car insurance policy or you renew your existing one, the AAMI car insurance cooling-off period is 21 days.
- What is a cooling-off period? If you decide to cancel within this period, AAMI will refund the entire amount that you paid for the policy, but it also means that you will not have any cover for your car.
- What about after this period? You also have the option to cancel your car insurance at any time and you'll be refunded the unexpired portion of the premium less any non-refundable government charges. If you cancel, you'll be covered up to the date of cancellation.
- Where can I cancel? You can cancel your policy over the phone at 13 22 44, via the AAMI app or in the My Account section of the AAMI website.
AAMI's policies stand tall among the car insurance providers we've reviewed. Its comprehensive policy is packed with standard features, and if you need a boost, there are some optional add-ons to further tailor your cover.
You'll find many ways to save, including buying your policy online, paying annually and choosing a higher excess. Safe drivers can save even more with credits every year you don't have an incident and the chance to get a discount when you prove your skills behind the wheel at a skilled drivers course.
Where you might find AAMI car insurance wanting is the lack of choice of repair cover. If you do have an accident, you'll have to use one of its preferred repairers. On the plus side, you will get a lifetime repair guarantee on any authorised repairs so you can expect high standards.
Find a new car insurer below.
You pay the same as buying directly from the car insurer. Better still, we regularly run exclusive deals that you won't find on any other site – plus, our tables make it easy to compare policies.
Our team of car insurance experts have researched and rated
dozens of policies as part of our Finder Awards
and published 330+ guides to make it easier for you to compare.
Unlike other comparison sites, we're not owned by an insurer. That means our opinions are our own and we work with lots of car insurance brands, making it easier for you to find a good deal.
We're here to help
Since 2014, we've helped 300,000+ people find car insurance by explaining your cover options, simply and clearly. We'll never ask for your number or email. We're here to help you make a decision.