Finder makes money from featured partners, but editorial opinions are our own.

Car registration Victoria

Your step-by-step guide to car registration in Victoria – including how to transfer registration, key costs, interstate rego and more.

Transferring car registration in Victoria when you're buying or selling a car is a must.

If you're unsure how to do it, we've put together a simple step-by-step guide on how to transfer your car registration, rego fees, motor vehicle duty costs, VicRoads transfer fees and interstate car registration in Victoria.

Car renewal registration costs in Victoria

Registration costs vary depending on the type of vehicle you own and where you live in Victoria. To give you an idea, below are the standard annual costs for car rego if you own a "light vehicle". A light vehicle would cover most sedans, station wagons, hatches or 4WDs.

LocationRegistration fee (yearly)
Metropolitan area (high risk zone)$876.90
Outer metropolitan (medium risk zone)$820.80
Rural (low risk zone)$754.80

Different costs apply to goods-carrying vehicles, light trailers and caravans.

How to transfer registration in Victoria if you're a buyer

When you buy or get a car in Victoria, you have 14 days to transfer the registration into your name. You can do this with a transfer form via VicRoads' website, or in person at a VicRoads Customer Service Centre.

Buying privately

If you are buying a car privately, follow these steps for vehicle transfer registration:

Number 1

Get a VicRoads customer number or Victorian licence

This is so you can fill in the VicRoads transfer form. If you haven't already got this, you will need to submit identity documents (such as an Australian driver's licence and passport) to a VicRoads Customer Service Centre.

Number 2

Complete a VicRoads transfer form

To be approved, you need to fill this in and get it signed by both you and the seller. You can find a VicRoads transfer form here.

Number 3

Get the original Certificate of Roadworthiness (RWC)

The seller should provide you with the roadworthy certificate. Make sure it has been issued no more than 30 days before the date of sale.

Number 4

Pay the transfer fee and motor vehicle duty fee

In Victoria, you'll need to pay a motor vehicle duty fee when a vehicle is registered or transferred to your name. The amount you pay depends on the type of vehicle you're registering and its market value.

Buying from a dealership

If you are simply buying your vehicle from a car dealership, it's largely the dealer's responsibility to complete the proper vehicle registration transfer steps. All you need to do is sign the vehicle transfer form and pay the transfer fee and motor vehicle duty that applies to your vehicle.

When you transfer registration in Victoria, the CTP car insurance will automatically transfer over to you. Keep in mind, though, that this only protects you from legal and medical costs arising from injuries and deaths caused by an accident you have in the car. For more protection, there are other car insurance options such as comprehensive car insurance and third party car insurance.

How to transfer registration in Victoria if you're selling

If you are selling your car privately, it's the buyer's responsibility to sort the vehicle registration, not the seller's. However, you will still need to fill in and provide the following documentation:

  • The Certificate of Roadworthiness (RWC), which should come from a licensed vehicle tester.
  • The vehicle transfer form. You will need to complete the "seller details" section and sign it.
  • A copy of the registration certificate/renewal notice (to prove the right to transfer) or a myVicRoads account showing that the vehicle is in your possession.

If you are selling to a car dealer, it is responsible for completing the registration transfer so that it's no longer in your name. Simply keep a copy of the vehicle transfer form to show that the transfer was initiated.

Important note: Hold on to your copy of the vehicle transfer form. That way, if the buyer doesn't submit the transfer, you have evidence that it did take place.

Want to keep your custom plates?

If you want to keep your custom plates when you sell your car, you'll need to get in touch with VicRoads and cancel the vehicle registration. However, if you want to sell the vehicle registered, you'll need to pay a fee in order for new number plates to be issued. Make sure to remove your custom plates and attach the new plates before you sell the car.

VicRoads transfer fees

Below is a table of the costs of transferring the registration of a car into your name in Victoria.*

Sold privately or by a dealerVehicle typeTransfer fee
PrivateMotor vehicle$43.70
DealerMotor vehicle$22.30
PrivateMotorcycle, trailer, recreation motorcycle$6.95
DealerMotorcycle, trailer, recreation motorcycle$6.95

*Costs taken from VicRoads and correct as of May 2024.

Motor vehicle duty fees

VicRoads says that the motor vehicle duty you are required to pay is based on the type of vehicle and its current market value. The following rates are an estimation of what you are likely to pay.

Vehicle priceRate
Low emission (120gm/km) passenger vehicle$8.40 per $200 of the market value or part thereof
Passenger vehicles up to the market value of $76,951$8.40 per $200 of the market value or part thereof
Passenger vehicles over $76,951 and up to $100,000$10.40 per $200 of the market value or part thereof
Passenger vehicles over $100,001$14.00 per $200 of the market value or part thereof

VicRoads indicates that when you transfer a vehicle into your name, some people or circumstances may be exempt from paying the motor vehicle duty. For example, you might be exempt from the motor vehicle duty if you're transferring registration from your spouse or partner into your name. The same rules apply if your spouse or partner has passed away. If this is the case, be sure to indicate why you are exempt on the vehicle transfer form and provide evidence of your eligibility.

Interstate car registration Victoria

If you're planning on moving to Victoria and staying longer than 3 months, you need to change the vehicle's registration to a Victorian one. Here are the steps that you need to take to get your car legally registered:

Get a Certificate of Roadworthiness

You'll need an original Certificate of Roadworthiness (RWC). Make sure it's issued within 30 days of your registration appointment. You won't need an RWC if the vehicle registration has not expired by more than 3 months and is still registered in your name interstate and isn't changing.

Book an appointment with VicRoads

Book a registration appointment with VicRoads. You will need:

  • Your current Victorian licence, learner permit or customer number
  • The Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) and engine number
  • The make, model and registration number of your vehicle

What to take to your VicRoads appointment

When you attend your appointment, you may need to take the following with you:

  • The vehicle, if they tell you it needs to be inspected.
  • Your completed vehicle registration form.
  • A current and original RWC.
  • Proof of identity.
  • Proof that your vehicle has been registered interstate for 12 months.
  • All the necessary tools to put your number plates on before you leave the appointment.
  • Evidence of your address in Victoria.
  • Card or cash for the registration fee payment (use this fee calculator to see how much it will cost to register your vehicle).

Why you can trust Finder's car insurance experts


We're free

You pay the same as buying directly from the car insurer. Better still, we regularly run exclusive deals that you won't find on any other site – plus, our tables make it easy to compare policies.
expert advice

We're experts

Our team of car insurance experts have researched and rated dozens of policies as part of our Finder Awards and published 330+ guides to make it easier for you to compare.

We're independent

Unlike other comparison sites, we're not owned by an insurer. That means our opinions are our own and we work with lots of car insurance brands, making it easier for you to find a good deal.

We're here to help

Since 2014, we've helped 300,000+ people find car insurance by explaining your cover options, simply and clearly. We'll never ask for your number or email. We're here to help you make a decision.

Frequently asked questions

More guides on Finder

Ask a Question

You are about to post a question on

  • Do not enter personal information (eg. surname, phone number, bank details) as your question will be made public
  • is a financial comparison and information service, not a bank or product provider
  • We cannot provide you with personal advice or recommendations
  • Your answer might already be waiting – check previous questions below to see if yours has already been asked

Finder only provides general advice and factual information, so consider your own circumstances, or seek advice before you decide to act on our content. By submitting a question, you're accepting our 1. Terms Of Service and 6. Finder Group Privacy & Cookies Policy.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

4 Responses

    Default Gravatar
    JohnDecember 8, 2023

    I have a pair of old number plates from a car that was disposed of some years ago.
    What do I do with them please?

    Default Gravatar
    ChrisMarch 16, 2023

    Hi, if I live in NSW and have a NSW Driver licence.
    I am purchasing a Victorian Registered Motorhome which is going to be garaged in Victoria.
    Can I do the transfer online or do I need a customer reference number to complete this process?

      JamesApril 11, 2023Finder

      Hi Chris,

      Thanks for reaching out. You’ll need a nine-digit VicRoads customer number as you hold an interstate license. You can read more about the exact process to follow on VicRoads’ website.



Go to site