ahm car insurance
ahm car insurance offers tailored coverage to suit your needs.
We’re reader-supported and may be paid when you visit links to partner sites. We don’t compare all products in the market, but we’re working on it!
ahm may be primarily known for providing affordable health insurance to customers across Australia, but that's not all it does. You can now get ahm car insurance. The company offers two policies – comprehensive and third party property – both of which come with flexible cover options so you can pay for what you need.
Ready to compare policies?
What cover options are available with ahm car insurance?
ahm offers two policies: comprehensive and third party property. Both come with a range of options that let you tailor your car insurance policy to your needs. Here's a breakdown of what they include:
Some key features of ahm's comprehensive car insurance option include cover for:
- Loss or damage to your car. ahm will pay up to the agreed or market value if your car is in a collision, stolen or damaged by fire or another natural event.
- New for old car replacement. This applies if your new car is declared a total loss within the first 24 months.
- Hire car after theft. You can get up to $70 per day for 14 days to cover the cost of a rental car if your car is stolen.
- Trailer and caravan cover. You can get up to $1,000 to cover the cost of accidental loss or damage to a trailer or caravan.
- Essential repairs. You can get up to $500 to cover repairs to get your car roadworthy again.
- Personal property. You can get up to $500 for accidental loss, theft or damage to personal property kept in the car.
- Emergency travel and accommodation. You can get up to $500 to cover accommodation and travel if you are more than 200km from your home and your car can't be driven.
- Locks and keys. You can get up to $1,000 to cover replacing stolen keys.
- Towing costs. Reasonable cover for the cost of towing your damaged car to a secure place.
- Legal liability. You can get up to $20 million towards legal fees if you need to pay compensation for damage to other people's property.
Third party property
ahm also provides third party property cover, which automatically covers you for:
- Legal liability cover up to $20 million.
- Up to $3,000 towards damage to your car caused by another person who is not insured.
You can pay more to add the following benefits:
- Loss or damage due to fire.
- Loss or damage due to theft.
- Loss or damage due to a malicious act.
How do ahm's policy benefits compare?
Take a look at how ahm's car insurance policies stack up against one another.
|Benefit||Comprehensive||Third party property|
|Loss of or damage to your vehicle|
|New car replacement|
|Damage to someone else's vehicle|
|Legal liability||$20 million||$20 million|
|Hire car following theft|
$70/day up to 14 days
|Replacement keys/remote||$1,000||Optional ($1,000)|
|Emergency transport and accommodation||$1,000||Optional ($1,000)|
|Theft||$70/day up to 14 days||Optional|
|Repairs guaranteed for as long as you own the car|
|24/7 emergency help|
|Reduced window glass excess||Optional|
|Higher excess to reduce premium|
Table updated January 2021
What additional cover options are available?
Looking for even more cover? These additional add-ons might be what you need:
- Fixed kilometre plan. This lets you save on your insurance premiums if you drive less than 15,000km per year.
- Hire car cover. This lets you get a hire car following theft or damage to your vehicle.
- Excess-free windscreen cover. If your front windscreen is accidentally broken or damaged, ahm will pay to replace or repair it without making you pay an excess.
- Excess-free kangaroo damage cover. If your vehicle is accidentally damaged because you hit a kangaroo or other animal, ahm won't ask you to pay an excess.
- Sports gear cover. Cover for your sports gear, as long as it's in or securely attached to your car.
General exclusions to be aware of
ahm car insurance will not pay if your claim arises from:
- Driver exclusions such as if the driver is younger than any age restriction shown on your Certificate of Insurance, they're a learner unaccompanied by a fully licensed driver or they're not legally licensed to drive your car.
- Usage exclusions such as driving the car while it's in an unsafe or un-roadworthy condition, using it to move dangerous goods or substances that could pollute or contaminate, or using it for any motorsport.
- Loss or damage caused by using the wrong fuel.
- Repairs ahm does not consent to.
- Loss or damage where you have not taken reasonable steps to protect your car.
- Any pre-existing damage.
- Mechanical damage because you knowingly drove the car in a damaged condition.
- Tyre damage caused by punctures or braking.
- Wear and tear, rust or corrosion.
- Mechanical, electrical or computer breakdowns.
For a full list of exclusions, always read the product disclosure statement.
How to make a claim
Making an ahm car insurance claim is straightforward. You'll need to provide full details of the incident that caused you to claim. You should be able to make your claim online and will most likely need the following:
- A police incident number or report
- The contact details of anyone else involved
- Information and photos detailing loss, damage and/or liability
- Proof of ownership
- Written statements
You can email ahm at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 1300 518 049 for more information.
More guides on Finder
The best PlayStation 2 games of all time
Sony’s PlayStation 2 changed the gaming world back in the year 2000, but right now, what are the must-have and must-play games on the platform?
Citi Rewards Card – Velocity Points Offer
Enjoy 100,000 bonus Velocity Points, a reduced first-year annual fee and points per $1 spent with the Citi Rewards credit card.
Engine Oil Finder
What you need to know to choose the right engine oil for your car.
Home office insurance
We talk you through how to get home office insurance.
How to find safe, secure and affordable boat storage near you.
Back to the future: 45% of Australians would consider buying an electric car
Australia’s interest in electric cars is accelerating according to new research by Finder, Australia’s most visited comparison site.
How to find the best car storage facility to keep your set of wheels safe and secure.
Power outage? Food spoilage insurance
How home insurance can cover you for food spoilage and save you hundreds on wasted food.
Hearing aid insurance
Want hearing aid insurance? Home insurance is the answer.
What are covered events in home insurance?
All home insurance policies have a common list of covered events. These insured events include things like fire, storm and theft.