ahm may be primarily known for providing affordable health insurance to customers across Australia, but that's not all it does. You can now get ahm car insurance. The company offers two policies – comprehensive and third party property – both of which come with flexible cover options so you can pay for what you need.
We don't currently have this brand on our panel. But don't fret! You can head to the ahm car insurance website or compare a bunch of other car insurance companies with finder.
What cover options are available with ahm car insurance?
ahm offers two policies: comprehensive and third party property. Both come with a range of options that let you tailor your car insurance policy to your needs. Here's a breakdown of what they include:
Some key features of ahm's comprehensive car insurance option include cover for:
- Loss or damage to your car. ahm will pay up to the agreed or market value if your car is in a collision, stolen or damaged by fire or another natural event.
- New for old car replacement. Yes - If your car is written off in the first 2 years.
- Hire car after theft. Yes - Up to $70 per day - Up to 14 days to cover the cost of a rental car if your car is stolen.
- Trailer and caravan cover. You can get up to $1,000 to cover the cost of accidental loss or damage to a trailer or caravan.
- Essential repairs. You can get up to Yes - $500 to cover repairs to get your car roadworthy again.
- Personal property. You can get up to $500 for accidental loss, theft or damage to personal property kept in the car.
- Emergency travel and accommodation. You can get up to Yes - $500 to cover accommodation and travel if you are more than 200km from your home and your car can't be driven.
- Locks and keys. You can get up to Yes - $1,000 to cover replacing stolen keys.
- Towing costs. Reasonable cover for the cost of towing your damaged car to a secure place.
- Legal liability. You can get up to Yes - $20,000,000 towards legal fees if you need to pay compensation for damage to other people's property.
Third party property
ahm also provides third party property cover, which automatically covers you for:
- Legal liability cover up to $20,000,000.
- Up to $3,000 towards damage to your car caused by another person who is not insured.
You can pay more to add the following benefits:
- Loss or damage due to fire.
- Loss or damage due to theft.
How do ahm's policy benefits compare?
Take a look at how ahm's car insurance policies stack up against one another.
|Benefit||Comprehensive||Third party property|
|Loss of or damage to your vehicle|
|New car replacement||Yes - If your car is written off in the first 2 years|
|Damage to someone else's vehicle|
|Legal liability||Yes - $20,000,000||$20,000,000|
|Hire car following theft||Yes - Up to $70 per day - Up to 14 days||Optional - Up to $70 per day (Max 14 days)|
|Replacement keys/remote||Yes - $1,000||Optional - $1,000|
|Emergency transport and accommodation||Yes - $500||Optional - $500|
|Fire and Theft||Optional|
|Repairs guaranteed for as long as you own the car|
|24/7 emergency help|
|Excess-free windscreen cover||Optional|
|Higher excess to reduce premium|
Table updated November 2023
What additional cover options are available?
Looking for even more cover? These additional add-ons might be what you need:
- Pay as you drive. This lets you save on your insurance premiums if you drive less than 15,000km per year.
- Hire car cover. This lets you get a hire car following theft or damage to your vehicle.
- Excess-free windscreen cover. If your front windscreen is accidentally broken or damaged, ahm will pay to replace or repair it without making you pay an excess.
- Excess-free kangaroo damage cover. If your vehicle is accidentally damaged because you hit a kangaroo or other animal, ahm won't ask you to pay an excess.
- Sports gear cover. Cover for your sports gear, as long as it's in or securely attached to your car.
- Roadside assistance. You can add roadside assistance on to your ahm car insurance policy for an additional fee. This is a separate service provided by Allianz Global Assist.
General exclusions to be aware of
ahm car insurance will not pay if your claim arises from:
- Driver exclusions such as if the driver is younger than any age restriction shown on your Certificate of Insurance, they're a learner unaccompanied by a fully licensed driver or they're not legally licensed to drive your car.
- Usage exclusions such as driving the car while it's in an unsafe or un-roadworthy condition, using it to move dangerous goods or substances that could pollute or contaminate, or using it for any motorsport.
- Loss or damage caused by using the wrong fuel.
- Repairs ahm does not consent to.
- Loss or damage where you have not taken reasonable steps to protect your car.
- Any pre-existing damage.
- Mechanical damage because you knowingly drove the car in a damaged condition.
- Tyre damage caused by punctures or braking.
- Wear and tear, rust or corrosion.
- Mechanical, electrical or computer breakdowns.
For a full list of exclusions, always read the product disclosure statement.
How to make a claim
Making an ahm car insurance claim is straightforward. You'll need to provide full details of the incident that caused you to claim. You should be able to make your claim online and will most likely need the following:
- A police incident number or report
- The contact details of anyone else involved
- Information and photos detailing loss, damage and/or liability
- Proof of ownership
- Written statements
You can email ahm at email@example.com or call 1300 518 049 for more information.
More guides on Finder
The best standing desk in Australia: Our top choice of the year
If you're looking for a standing desk for the home office, the Omnidesk Ascent is our #1 choice for 2023.
Fast NBN plans are now cheaper. Is it worth switching?
It's time to sort out your NBN plan for the new year.
Save $1,583 a year by using index funds instead of active trading | Dollar Saver tip #60
Invest in an index fund instead of actively trading stocks and you not only save on time and fees, you could be earning more in returns too.
5 perks you can score by upgrading your internet this year
SPONSORED: Upgrade your internet before the end of 2023 and get ahead on your life admin! We take a look at some of the benefits of a faster internet connection.
Aussies are struggling to save money, and Gen Z blame themselves
Young Australians cite overspending as the main reason for not reaching their financial goals.
Shein IPO: How to invest in the Shein IPO
What you need to know about investing in Shein from Australia.
Best places to exchange currency in Brisbane
Your guide to currency exchange in Brisbane, including how to get the best exchange rate.
Waiting for rates to fall? Don’t bank on it, says ANZ CEO
Addressing speculation that interest rates might fall in late-2024, ANZ CEO Shayne Elliott said he thought it was too optimistic.