Once known as Progressive, PD's car insurance includes three types of car insurance policies, and perks including an excess-free repair of your windscreen or window, loyalty discounts and exclusive-driver discounts if you're the only driver.
- New policyholders can score 15% off their first year's premium (correct as of June 2021) when buying a new policy online. Meanwhile, its Early Shopper Discount offers a discount if you get a car insurance quote with PD insurance before your current policy expires.
- Enjoy free windscreen cover with a PD comprehensive car insurance policy. Unlike most providers, you won't need to pay an excess on up to one glass claim per year (up to $1,000 in cover) if your window or windscreen needs to be repaired. The free repair of chips on your windscreen is included as standard with a comprehensive plan.
- PD insurance doesn't offer any personal effects cover as standard - you'll need to add this on to your policy as an extra. Many comprehensive plans offer around $250-$1,000 for this type of insurance.
Review by our senior car insurance writer James Martin
We don't currently have this brand on our panel. But don't fret! You can head to the PD website or compare a bunch of other car insurance companies with finder.Compare car insurance fast
Comprehensive Car Insurance covers your car for loss or damage caused by an accident, theft or fire. It will also cover you for any damage that your car causes to someone else's vehicle or property. You also get free windscreen cover meaning you won't have to pay any excess for damage to your vehicle's windscreen or window glass if the windscreen or window glass is repaired rather than replaced.
Third Party, Fire and Theft protects you financially against damage you cause with your car to other people's vehicles or property. This policy also covers you against theft or fire damage to your car as well.
Third Party Property Damage is tailored to drivers who want the basics. It covers you against damage you cause with your car to other people's vehicles or property and not much else, but is the cheapest option.
PD Comprehensive Car Insurance comes with the following benefits:
- New car replacement: Yes - If your car is written off in the first 12 months and is under 20,000 km. PD will provide you with a new vehicle is it's stolen or written off or pay you the agreed value for your car.
- A hire car if yours is stolen.
- You'll receive emergency repair cover up to Yes - $500.
- When your car is damaged in an incident that PD covers and it cannot be safely driven, PD will pay the reasonable cost of towing your car to the nearest repairer or temporarily storing it.
- You won't have to pay any excess for damage to your vehicle's windscreen or window glass if it can be repaired rather than replaced
There are several additional options you can add to your PD car insurance policy. These include:
- Roadside Assistance. If your car breaks down, gets a flat battery, you lose your keys or get a flat tyre and need to be towed, PD provides a 24/7 roadside assistance service for an extra monthly fee.
- Hire Car. While comprehensive coverage automatically includes a rental car if yours is stolen or written off, you can get a rental car for up to 14 days while your car is being repaired or replaced as a result of an accident or incident.
- Windscreen/Window Glass. You can add on replacement windscreen or window glass cover for an additional fee.
- Excess Buster. With this, you don't need to pay a basic excess in the event that you make a claim. PD will pay it for you, once per year.
- Contents Cover. This lets you cover valuable items in your car if they're damaged during an incident or are stolen.
PD car insurance has a number of eligibility requirements. For example, your vehicle needs to be a sedan, utility, four-wheel drive or people mover that's manufactured on or after 1990. It must be registered for use on Australian roads. Other key criteria include as follows:
- You must be over 16 years of age
- You must hold a valid Australian driver's licence
- No licence suspension, cancellation, disqualification or good behaviour condition in the previous 5 years
- No declared bankruptcy or defaults on a loan or credit card in the past 5 years.
It's important to read this insurer's Product Disclosure Statement (PDS) in full to work out if its insurance will meet your needs and circumstances.
There are many exclusions and conditions where PD insurance will not pay your claim. These few of these are as follows:
Back to top
- Damage caused by wear and tear including electrical and mechanical breakdown.
- Using your car for monetary purposes e.g. to carry persons or property for a fee or reward of any kind.
- If the driver is under the influence of any alcohol, drug or medication.
- No cover is provided while your vehicle is being driven by any person who is an excluded driver.
You pay the same as buying directly from the car insurer. Better still, we regularly run exclusive deals that you won't find on any other site – plus, our tables make it easy to compare policies.
Our team of car insurance experts have researched and rated
dozens of policies as part of our Finder Awards
and published 330+ guides to make it easier for you to compare.
Unlike other comparison sites, we're not owned by an insurer. That means our opinions are our own and we work with lots of car insurance brands, making it easier for you to find a good deal.
We're here to help
Since 2014, we've helped 300,000+ people find car insurance by explaining your cover options, simply and clearly. We'll never ask for your number or email. We're here to help you make a decision.