When it comes to choosing a new mobile plan, there are literally hundreds of plans from dozens of providers to compare. With so many options, it's impossible to recommend a single best plan that suits everybody's individual needs. If you are looking to get a new mobile plan, there are some simple questions you can ask yourself before you get started to help make the decision easier:
- How much can you afford to spend each month? Setting your budget up front will help you set expectations for the type of plan you can get, as well as what's included.
- How much data will you need? The vast majority of mobile plans today come with unlimited calls and texts to Australian numbers, so the biggest differentiator between plans is the amount of included data. If you stream lots of Netflix every day, you'll need a high data plan, though you can expect to pay more for the privilege.
- Which network delivers the best coverage at your home and office? Believe it or not, but the 4G mobile networks of Telstra, Optus and Vodafone are fairly close when it comes to coverage and speeds, but there are still areas around the country where certain networks struggle. If you can't get service from one network at home, best not sign up for a plan that uses that network.
- Do you call overseas often? While most plans come with unlimited calls to Australian numbers, the same can't be said for international phone numbers. However, there are a wide range of plans that offer unlimited calls to particular countries, or calls at a massively discounted rate.
- Do you need a new phone? Smartphones have changed the way the world communicates, and every year phones are getting faster and smarter. While research shows most Australians hold on to their phone for about three years before upgrading, getting a phone on a contract helps break down the costs of a new device over a couple of years, making it friendlier to your bank account.