TPG's simple prepaid plans offer plenty of value at every price point.
TPG's mobile plans currently operate on the Vodafone 4G network, but that's set to change at some point in 2018 or 2019 with the company announcing it will launch its own mobile network with plans to service 80% of the Australian population. It's not clear if it will roam onto other networks to provide service to the remaining 20%.
TPG prepaid plans
All of TPG's current suite of standard prepaid plans operate on a SIM-only, prepaid basis, although they're set to automatically renew at the end of each billing month so there's some similarity to postpaid contract plans. You can optionally top up your prepaid balance in advance if you wish to take advantage of TPG's $10/GB excess rates. Otherwise, once you reach your data usage cap, your access to data services will be cut off until your next billing cycle.
All of TPG's plans offer unlimited standard national calls and texts, alongside a quantity of data usage determined by your recharge amount. While special deals are frequent, regular pricing is as follows:
- TPG Small: Unlimited calls and texts, 4GB data, 30 day expiry, $19.99
- TPG Medium: Unlimited calls and texts, 100 international calling minutes, 10GB data, 30 day expiry, $29.99
- TPG Large: Unlimited calls and texts, 100 international calling minutes, 15GB data, 30 day expiry, $34.99
- TPG Extra Large: Unlimited calls and texts, 100 international calling minutes, 20GB data, 30 day expiry, $39.99
New customers receive a TPG SIM card at no additional cost when they sign up.
TPG frequently runs special offers, especially for new customers, so it's well worth checking current pricing as detailed below:
TPG PAYG plans
TPG also provides a PAYG option, where you load up an account with prepaid credit to be used as you see fit for any combination of calls, texts or data usage. There's a minimum initial credit balance of $20 payable in advance to cover excess charges, although technically you could run a TPG PAYG account on as little as $1 per month once you've set it up. Usage costs are determined against your prepaid balance as follows:
- TPG Pay As You Go calls: 9.9c per minute plus 10c flagfall
- TPG Pay As You Go SMS: 9.9c each
- TPG Pay As You Go data: 10c per MB
- TPG Pay As You Go international calls: 35c flagfall with rates varying from country to country
How does TPG mobile compare?
TPG's prepaid plans are quite simple, even by prepaid standards, but they're worth considering if you're already a happy TPG customer, or if you want to take advantage of its prepaid special offers that pop up from time to time.
Here's how TPG compares against a range of providers if you're looking to spend $20 or less per recharge:
If $30 per month is your prepaid budget, here's how TPG compares:
And here's how the comparison stacks up if you're looking to spend $40 or less per month:
Why should you consider TPG?
TPG's plans are quite simple, and that does have some appeal, although this may well change in 2018 if TPG does get its own mobile network up and running. You're not paying for extras such as streaming services, bonus data pools or particularly large quantities of international calling minutes, which can have some appeal if your mobile needs are simple.
Outside the PAYG plan, you've got no worries for standard calls and texts within Australia, although predictably "premium" call and SMS services are not covered and will attract additional charges.
How to recharge TPG prepaid services
TPG mobile prepaid recharge options
TPG mobile's SIM-only services operate on a prepaid basis, so you pay for usage upfront, but as part of the set-up process you agree to rolling recharges each month, deducted from your nominated payment method. There's no way to set manual recharges to speak of, although if you have additional prepaid credit on your account it can be used to purchase additional services such as data blocks.
- Online via credit card or bank account: TPG mobile's account portal is the gateway to checking your payment method and contact details, as well as adding any additional credit you may wish to use to top up your account. Payments can be deducted from a nominated bank account or via credit card.
Compare all mobile providers
Follow us for all the latest mobile phone news and deals
- Telstra is drastically simplifying its services in an effort to “improve customer experience”
- Lebara goes big with its new Extra Extra Large mobile plan
- Optus Sports fails FIFA World Cup fans: Here are your streaming alternatives
- Telstra’s new 2Gbps 4G network: What you need to know
- Telstra adds billing integration for hayu customers