After significant testing, these are our picks of the phones to buy
Compare Optus mobile plans
Optus has a wide variety of mobile plans for you to say Yes to, from postpaid phone plans to simple SIM Only prepaid deals.
Is Optus right for me?
- What does Optus offer? Optus has plenty to offer in the mobile space, with contract phone plans, postpaid plans and prepaid plans available. It also offers mobile broadband plans alongside its regular Optus broadband plans.
- Product highlights: Large variety of plans to suit different needs, support for the latest smartphones and attractive extras like Optus Sport.
- Watch out for: Optus' prepaid plans only support data rollover for their regular data inclusions - any bonus streaming-only data does not rollover across recharges.
This page is in the process of being updated for pricing and compliance accuracy.
Optus prepaid plans
Optus's prepaid plans explained
Optus has an enormous range of prepaid plans covering everything from long-term expiries to massive data caps to unlimited international calls. These plans are split into four key categories based on what they offer: Epic Data plans for data junkies, Epic Value plans for those wanting a decent balance of data and a long-expiry period, Daily Plus plans for those who prefer paying as they go and Long Expiry plans for those who use their phones less frequently.
Optus postpaid plans
Optus's postpaid plans explained
Optus has plenty of postpaid SIM Only plans for folks who already have a smartphone. These plans are available only on month-to-month contracts. The higher-tier plans also come with an allotment of international talk and text, plus all plans include a free subscription to Optus's sports streaming service, Optus Sport.
Optus contract phone plans
Optus contract phone plans explained
Optus offers a wide range of current mobile phones on 24-month contracts with its Optus Choice plans. You'll typically find all the latest handsets from Samsung, Apple and other flagship smartphone manufacturers, with a choice of plans ranging from small 10GB options to 120GB smorgasbords.
Like many contract plan carriers, you can't sign up for just a SIM service, so for comparative purposes, we've listed Optus's current pricing for the Apple iPhone XS Max in the table above.
How does Optus compare?
- A vast array of contract, postpaid and prepaid plans to choose from
- Extras like Optus Sport subscriptions
- Some of the largest mobile data caps on the market
Optus has been notably aggressive in the Australian telco space, and that translates to deals at most levels that are highly competitive, although, as always, it depends on what you're after.
In the mobile handset space, Optus typically offers all the big brand name handsets, as well as a few exclusive models. By way of comparison, here's what you'd pay for an iPhone XS from Optus and other major carriers offering Apple's high-powered handset:
Why should you consider Optus?
Optus's 4G network spans the vast majority of the Australian population, although (as is common with every other Australian mobile network) not quite the entire landmass. It's notably a heavy lifter in terms of pushing forwards data limits on plans, with many other carriers following Optus's lead when it comes time to up quotas.
Optus also operates its own entertainment services, bundled with many of its postpaid plans or available as a paid extra if you're on a lower tier. The jewel in its crown is the exclusive rights to English Premier League games and Cricket Australia fixtures for mobile streaming. So, if like many Australians you're keen on "proper" football or Cricket, Optus may be a great match for your needs.
If you've got multiple Optus accounts in your family, you can pool all your data quotas together at no additional cost, meaning that you can maximise your data's real value rather than letting it go to waste.
Optus also operates a satisfaction guarantee on postpaid plans with bundled handsets, so if you're unhappy for any reason in the first 30 days, you can return your undamaged handset and you can walk away simply paying that first month's charges.
Optus prepaid recharge options
Different Optus prepaid plans have different expiry periods, and it’s worth noting if there are bonuses such as data or credit rollover if you recharge within your expiry period. Here’s how you can recharge your Optus prepaid services:
- Online through Optus: Optus provides the ability to purchase recharges through its web portal for customers. You can recharge your own mobile phone or any number associated with an Optus prepaid mobile account. Optus accepts payments via Visa, Mastercard, American Express, JCB Card, PayPal, Internet banking or from a pre-purchased voucher.
- Via the MyOptus App: Optus provides a dedicated free-to-download app for iOS (download it here) or Android (download it here) mobile customers to recharge their mobile services on the go.
- Via PayPal: You can use Optus’s prepaid payment portal to pay directly via PayPal if that’s your payment method of choice.
- By phone: You can recharge your phone by dialling 555 from your prepaid handset. This is a free call.
- Via a voucher: Recharge vouchers can be purchased for Optus prepaid services at many large retail outlets, as well as at any Optus store itself.
- Via Autorecharge: Optus has a facility for you to store credit card details pertaining to your prepaid service so that it automatically recharges your prepaid balance at a set expiry period. As with any automatic recharge, it’s up to you to keep an eye on what it’s doing if you’re not using an Optus service any more, as it will continually bill unless you adjust it.
Optus mobile deals
Optus Sport subscription can be added at no extra charge
|View eligible plans|
Add Optus Sport to your recharge for $5 for 28 days via My Optus App only.
|View eligible plans|
|Optus Prepaid Epic Data $30 28 Days||Unlimited standard calls||Go to site|
|Optus Prepaid Epic Data $20 10 Days||200 standard minutes||Go to site|
|Optus Prepaid Epic Value $180 365 Days||Unlimited standard calls||Go to site|
|Optus Prepaid Epic Data $50 28 Days||Unlimited standard calls||Go to site|
|Optus Prepaid Epic Value 15GB $50 42 Days||Unlimited standard calls||Go to site|
|Optus Prepaid Epic Value 500MB $10 21 Days||Unlimited standard calls||Go to site|
|Optus Prepaid Epic Value 500MB $15 28 Days||Unlimited standard calls||Go to site|
|Optus Prepaid Epic Data $10 5 Days||100 standard minutes||Go to site|
|Optus My Prepaid Daily Plus $30 186 Days||Unlimited standard calls||Go to site|
|Optus My Prepaid Daily Plus $60 186 Days||Unlimited standard calls||Go to site|
|Optus My Prepaid Daily Plus $10 30 Days||Unlimited standard calls||Go to site|
|Optus My Prepaid Daily Plus $20 30 Days||Unlimited standard calls||Go to site|
|Optus Prepaid Epic Value 2GB $30 42 Days||Unlimited standard calls||Go to site|
|Optus Prepaid Long Expiry $10 45 Day||$10.00 standard calls||Go to site|
|Optus Prepaid Long Expiry $20 90 Day||$20.00 standard calls||Go to site|
|Optus Prepaid Long Expiry $30 186 Day||$30.00 standard calls||Go to site|
|Optus Prepaid Long Expiry $50 186 Day||$50.00 standard calls||Go to site|
|Optus Prepaid Long Expiry $60 365 Day||$60.00 standard calls||Go to site|
Was $40, now $15. T&Cs apply.
|View eligible plans|
- Telstra, Optus & more offer free data and discounts for working from home: How much more do you get?
- Vodafone’s 5G network is now online
- Telstra postpaid customers can score a heavily discounted Kayo Sports subscription
- 365 Day & Long Expiry Prepaid Mobile Plans March 2020
- Optus rolls out new Samsung Galaxy S20 plans with free Buds+ and double data
Read more on this topic
Vodafone’s 5G network is now online Vodafone goes live with its first 5G site in Australia, with talks of 5G global roaming soon to come.
365 Day & Long Expiry Prepaid Mobile Plans March 2020 We help you make the most of every recharge with these top-value 365 day & other long expiry prepaid plans. We've selected picks on each major network, and broken down the pros & cons of the plans for easy comparison.
Optus rolls out new Samsung Galaxy S20 plans with free Buds+ and double data Pre-order the latest Samsung handset from Optus and get double the data for the first year, plus a free pair of Galaxy Buds+.
Telstra releases S20 plans with free upgrade from S20 to S20+ Telstra's giving you a free upgrade from the Samsung S20 to S20+ for a limited time only.
Vodafone releases S20 plans with free 4G to 5G model upgrade Vodafone is giving you a free upgrade to the new 5G Samsung S20 and S20+ models, as well as complimentary Galaxy Buds+.
Woolworths Mobile deals on latest Samsung Galaxy models Woolworths Mobile has cut $250 off their new Samsung S20 range, with bonus savings off your grocery bills too.
Vodafone 5G: What you need to know Vodafone's 5G network will be available from early 2020, joining rivals Telstra and Optus with just a few key differences worth knowing about.
Black Friday Mobile Plan Deals 2019 Grab a SIM or phone plan on the cheap this Black Friday & Cyber Monday.
Stick to the plan: Aussies forking out millions on excess mobile data charges Finder research shows that over the past 12 months, Aussies have wasted $152.6 million on excess data charges.
Google Pixel 4 plans compared If you're keen on a Google Pixel 4 on contract through Telstra, Optus or Vodafone, we've got all the details you need.
Latest mobile plan deals on Finder
Read why this is one of the best Samsung Galaxy phones yet
Ask an Expert