After significant testing, these are our picks of the phones to buy
Compare Optus mobile plans
Optus has a wide variety of mobile plans for you to say Yes to, from postpaid phone plans to simple SIM Only prepaid deals.
Is Optus right for me?
- What does Optus offer? Optus has plenty to offer in the mobile space, with contract phone plans, postpaid plans and prepaid plans available. It also offers mobile broadband plans alongside its regular Optus broadband plans.
- Product highlights: Large variety of plans to suit different needs, support for the latest smartphones and attractive extras like Optus Sport.
- Watch out for: Optus' prepaid plans only support data rollover for their regular data inclusions - any bonus streaming-only data does not rollover across recharges.
Optus prepaid plans
Optus's prepaid plans explained
Optus has an enormous range of prepaid plans covering everything from long-term expiries to massive data caps to unlimited international calls. These plans are split into four key categories based on what they offer: Epic Data plans for data junkies, Epic Value plans for those wanting a decent balance of data and a long-expiry period, Daily Plus plans for those who prefer paying as they go and Long Expiry plans for those who use their phones less frequently.
Optus postpaid plans
Optus's postpaid plans explained
Optus has plenty of postpaid SIM Only plans for folks who already have a smartphone. These plans are available only on 12-month contracts. The higher-tier plans also come with an allotment of international talk and text, plus all plans include a free subscription to Optus's sports streaming service, Optus Sport.
Optus contract phone plans
Optus contract phone plans explained
Optus offers a wide range of current mobile phones on 24-month contracts with its My Plan Plus plans. You'll typically find all the latest handsets from Samsung, Apple and other flagship smartphone manufacturers, with a choice of plans ranging from small 4GB options to 200GB smorgasbords.
Like many contract plan carriers, you can't sign up for just a SIM service, so for comparative purposes, we've listed Optus's current pricing for the Apple iPhone XS Max in the table above.
How does Optus compare?
- A vast array of contract, postpaid and prepaid plans to choose from
- Extras like Optus Sport subscriptions
- Some of the largest mobile data caps on the market
Optus has been notably aggressive in the Australian telco space, and that translates to deals at most levels that are highly competitive, although, as always, it depends on what you're after.
In the mobile handset space, Optus typically offers all the big brand name handsets, as well as a few exclusive models. By way of comparison, here's what you'd pay for an iPhone XS from Optus and other major carriers offering Apple's high-powered handset:
Why should you consider Optus?
Optus's 4G network spans the vast majority of the Australian population, although (as is common with every other Australian mobile network) not quite the entire landmass. It's notably a heavy lifter in terms of pushing forwards data limits on plans, with many other carriers following Optus's lead when it comes time to up quotas.
Optus also operates its own entertainment services, bundled with many of its postpaid plans or available as a paid extra if you're on a lower tier. The jewel in its crown is the exclusive rights to English Premier League games and Cricket Australia fixtures for mobile streaming. So, if like many Australians you're keen on "proper" football or Cricket, Optus may be a great match for your needs.
If you've got multiple Optus accounts in your family, you can pool all your data quotas together at no additional cost, meaning that you can maximise your data's real value rather than letting it go to waste.
Optus also operates a satisfaction guarantee on postpaid plans with bundled handsets, so if you're unhappy for any reason in the first 30 days, you can return your undamaged handset and you can walk away simply paying that first month's charges.
Optus prepaid recharge options
Different Optus prepaid plans have different expiry periods, and it’s worth noting if there are bonuses such as data or credit rollover if you recharge within your expiry period. Here’s how you can recharge your Optus prepaid services:
- Online through Optus: Optus provides the ability to purchase recharges through its web portal for customers. You can recharge your own mobile phone or any number associated with an Optus prepaid mobile account. Optus accepts payments via Visa, Mastercard, American Express, JCB Card, PayPal, Internet banking or from a pre-purchased voucher.
- Via the MyOptus App: Optus provides a dedicated free-to-download app for iOS (download it here) or Android (download it here) mobile customers to recharge their mobile services on the go.
- Via PayPal: You can use Optus’s prepaid payment portal to pay directly via PayPal if that’s your payment method of choice.
- By phone: You can recharge your phone by dialling 555 from your prepaid handset. This is a free call.
- Via a voucher: Recharge vouchers can be purchased for Optus prepaid services at many large retail outlets, as well as at any Optus store itself.
- Via Autorecharge: Optus has a facility for you to store credit card details pertaining to your prepaid service so that it automatically recharges your prepaid balance at a set expiry period. As with any automatic recharge, it’s up to you to keep an eye on what it’s doing if you’re not using an Optus service any more, as it will continually bill unless you adjust it.
Optus mobile deals
Add Optus Sport to your recharge for $5 for 28 days via My Optus App only.
|View eligible plans|
|Optus Prepaid Epic Data $30 28 Days||Unlimited standard calls||Go to site|
|Optus Prepaid Epic Data $40 28 Days||Unlimited standard calls||Go to site|
|Optus Prepaid Epic Data $20 10 Days||200 standard minutes||Go to site|
|Optus Prepaid Epic Value $180 365 Days||Unlimited standard calls||Go to site|
|Optus Prepaid Epic Data $50 28 Days||Unlimited standard calls||Go to site|
|Optus Prepaid Epic Value 15GB $50 42 Days||Unlimited standard calls||Go to site|
|Optus Prepaid Epic Value 10GB $40 42 Days||Unlimited standard calls||Go to site|
|Optus Prepaid Epic Value 500MB $10 21 Days||Unlimited standard calls||Go to site|
|Optus Prepaid Epic Value 500MB $15 28 Days||Unlimited standard calls||Go to site|
|Optus Prepaid Epic Data $10 5 Days||100 standard minutes||Go to site|
|Optus My Prepaid Daily Plus $30 186 Days||Unlimited standard calls||Go to site|
|Optus My Prepaid Daily Plus $60 186 Days||Unlimited standard calls||Go to site|
|Optus My Prepaid Daily Plus $10 30 Days||Unlimited standard calls||Go to site|
|Optus My Prepaid Daily Plus $20 30 Days||Unlimited standard calls||Go to site|
|Optus Prepaid Epic Value 2GB $30 42 Days||Unlimited standard calls||Go to site|
|Optus My Prepaid Long Expiry $10 45 Day||$10.00 standard calls||Go to site|
|Optus My Prepaid Long Expiry $20 90 Day||$20.00 standard calls||Go to site|
|Optus My Prepaid Long Expiry $30 186 Day||$30.00 standard calls||Go to site|
|Optus My Prepaid Long Expiry $40 186 Day||$40.00 standard calls||Go to site|
|Optus My Prepaid Long Expiry $50 186 Day||$50.00 standard calls||Go to site|
|Optus My Prepaid Long Expiry $60 365 Day||$60.00 standard calls||Go to site|
|Optus Prepaid SIM Long Expiry Plus 500MB $30 186 days||0 standard minutes||Go to site|
|Optus Prepaid SIM Long Expiry Plus 500MB $40 186 days||0 standard minutes||Go to site|
How to contact Optus
Read more on this topic
Black Friday Mobile Plan Deals 2019 Grab a SIM or phone plan on the cheap this Black Friday & Cyber Monday.
Stick to the plan: Aussies forking out millions on excess mobile data charges Finder research shows that over the past 12 months, Aussies have wasted $152.6 million on excess data charges.
Should you keep your landline? With unlimited calls now a standard inclusion for mobile plans, why are some Aussies yet to hang up on their home phone?
Google Pixel 4 plans compared If you're keen on a Google Pixel 4 on contract through Telstra, Optus or Vodafone, we've got all the details you need.
3G network shutdown Australia: What you need to know 3G networks will be decommissioned in Australia, but there’s still time to make plans for the switch-off – it's a few years away yet.
Optus adds Galaxy S10 5G and Oppo Reno 5G to its 5G line-up Telstra’s exclusive on Samsung and Oppo’s 5G handsets comes to an end, with the Oppo Reno 5G joining the Optus ranks.
Compare Australian iPhone 11 plans If you're after the iPhone 11, iPhone 11 Pro or iPhone 11 Pro Max on contract, you've got plenty of options to consider.
Telstra rolls out iPhone 11 plans with bonus Telstra Plus points Score points towards a variety of rewards with Telstra's iPhone 11 plans.
Optus is offering iPhone 11 plans with up to 200GB of data Choose from all three models of the latest iPhone on a range of 24-month and 36-month contracts.
Vodafone reveals its plan pricing for the Apple iPhone 11 Pick up an iPhone 11, iPhone 11 Pro or iPhone 11 Pro Max on a fixed-term contract with Vodafone.
Latest mobile plan deals on Finder
Read why this is one of the best Samsung Galaxy phones yet
Ask an Expert