Kogan Mobile offers competitive prepaid services running on Vodafone's 4G network.
Get 16GB for $4.90 with Kogan's XL Prepaid plan from Kogan
What services does Kogan Mobile offer?
Kogan Mobile started life as a high profile Telstra MVNO back in 2013, but after the Telstra wholesaler went bust, Kogan Mobile ended up shutting down, until a new agreement with Vodafone was announced in 2015.
Today, Kogan mobile offers 4G prepaid services using the Vodafone 4G network, with a combination of data allowances and expiry periods at affordable price points.
How much does Kogan Mobile cost?
Kogan Mobile launched with a strong emphasis on affordability, so it's no surprise that its cheapest plan costs just $16.90, and includes unlimited talk and text and 1GB of data.
Kogan offers its plans at four different tiers, all based around its data allowances. The 1XL plans come with 1GB of data, 3XL has 3GB, 5XL includes 5GB and the premium 11XL comes with 11GB of data.
All four data tiers are also available at different recharge periods – either 30 days, 90 days or 365 days.
What extras does Kogan Mobile offer?
Given its reputation as a low cost prepaid MVNO, it's pleasantly surprising that Kogan Mobile manages to deliver anything in the way of extras. Kogan Mobile customers can link their account to their Qantas Frequent Flyer and earn points for purchasing or recharging their prepaid service at a rate of 1 point for every $1 spent.
- 4G Capability. After initially launching on 3G, Kogan Mobile is now up and running on the Vodafone 4G network.
- Unlimited calls. Even the lowest prepaid plan includes unlimited talk and text for simplicity and convenience.
- Qantas Frequent Flyer Points. As any frequent flyer will tell you, earning bonus points through everyday expenses is extremely appealing, so Kogan's offer is attractive.
- Long expiry options. Long expiry plans aren't for everybody, but having the option for 90 and 365 day recharges could suit certain users.
- No billed monthly option. Kogan Mobile is exclusively a prepaid provider, so if you like the convenience of a billed monthly plan, Kogan can't help you.
Kogan Mobile prepaid recharge options
Kogan Mobile's prepaid plans can last for up to a full year, depending on your choice of plan, but eventually you're going to need to recharge your credit. Here's how you manage that:
- Online via credit card: Kogan Mobile customers can manage their accounts, including recharges via Kogan Mobile's web site. Standard Visa, Mastercard and American Expresscredit and debit cards are accepted for recharges, but PayPal and Diners Club cards are not.
- SMS: If you've saved a credit or debit card to your Kogan Mobile account, you can recharge by texting a specific code to 12612 from your Kogan Mobile device. Texts relate directly to each prepaid tier, as well as data and premium service bolt-ons, and include: SMALL30, SMALL90, SMALL365, MEDIUM30, MEDIUM90, MEDIUM365, LARGE30, LARGE90, LARGE365, EXTRALARGE30, EXTRALARGE90, EXTRALARGE365, BIG DATA PACK, DATAPACK or PREMBOLT.
- App: Owners of Android or iOS devices can manage their Kogan Mobile accounts, including adding recharges, via the free Kogan Mobile app. It's available for iOS (iPhone or iPad) devices (download here) or Android devices (download here).