2023 Finder Awards
Winner: Best Long Expiry Prepaid Mobile Plan
When it comes to value for money, Kogan's 365-day prepaid plans outshone other providers we reviewed. Along with instant eSIM set-up and Wi-Fi calling, customers can earn one Qantas Point for every 2 dollars spent.
- Earn 1 Qantas point for every $2 you spend with Kogan Mobile
- Data rollover available on monthly plans
- Choose whether to get your long expiry data upfront or split monthly
- No online customer support, including live chat or email
- Not many features on long expiry plans
If you're looking for a simple to use, SIM only plan with high data allowances, then you've come to the right place. Kogan plans offer a lot of value to those who want to sign up for 365 days.
Its smallest 365-day plan works out to about $10 monthly for 7.5GB, which is cheaper than the majority of entry-level plans on the market.
But like most providers, the more you spend on your plan, the better value you will get.
Kogan Mobile will work for you if you're looking for the following:
- Big data mobile plans at affordable prices
- Long-expiry plans that help you save even more if you commit for 365 days
That being said, consider the following:
- Whether you're happy with a long-term commitment since you'll need to stick to Kogan for at least 12 months on most of its plans
- Whether you actually need that much data. If you're only a casual mobile user or often connect your phone to your Wi-Fi, you can probably find cheaper plans elsewhere
- Kogan runs on the Vodafone 3G/4G network so make sure that coverage works for you if you're signing up to a yearly plan.
Read a more detailed review on
Value for money
Kogan has 3 monthly plans that all offer good value for money, usually with either a promotional discount or extra data on top for a limited time.
- Good to know: Kogan's monthly mobile plans average out to be $0.62 per 1GB, which is great against a benchmark of $1 per GB.
Kogan's 365-days provide anywhere from 120GB of data for $120 to 500GB for $300.
Some of its long expiry plans let you choose between having access to all the data upfront or having a portion of your total data unlocked each month to help you pace yourself.
Things to watch out for:
- User reports indicate that the app won't let you manage multiple accounts on the same device.
- Automatic recharge is enabled by default meaning if you're not a fan of this feature, you may have to be manually disabled it each time you recharge your plan.
If you live in a metro area, you should be just fine with reception with a Kogan plan which runs on Vodafone's 4G network.
- Vodafone's 4G mobile network reaches 96% of the population which is the smallest of the big 3 telcos.
- Coverage with Kogan is identical to what you'd get on a plan bought directly from Vodafone.
- While metro customers shouldn't have any issues, you might notice a difference in rural and regional areas since Kogan doesn't have the Telstra network's 99.5% coverage.
Does Kogan Mobile have 5G?
Kogan Mobile is currently offering a free 5G trial on the Vodafone 5G network on 1 of it's monthly plans. If you are looking to take part in the 5G trial you can do so for $40 a month, which would get you 80GB of data and unlimited calls and texts. After the trial is over, you'll go switch back to the Vodafone 4G network.
If you're in need of assistance, there's only 1 way to reach Kogan Mobile and thats via it's call centre:
- You can call up Kogan Mobile's call centre between 8am and 8pm every day.
While Kogan does offer an app to manage your account, there have been reports of the app interface being difficult to use.
- Keep in mind: There are no online support options excluding FAQs that are on Kogan's site and there is no in-store support.
Kogan offers a couple of perks to its mobile plans:
✈️ Qantas frequent flyer points
If you have a Qantas frequent flyer account linked to Kogan, you could earn some bonus points with this feature.
You'll get 1 Qantas frequent flyer point for every $2 you spend on your Kogan Mobile bills.
🔄 Data rollover
If you're on a Kogan monthly plan, you can roll over any unused data at the end of the month to use in the future.
You can save up to 200GB of data with this feature. When you cancel or change your plan, you'll lose any saved data.
➕ Data add-ons
These add-ons can help when you run out of data just a couple of days out from next month's recharge.
You can get 3GB with a 2-day expiry for $5 or 3GB with a 7-day expiry for $10.
🌍 International roaming packs
You'll be able to stay connected when you travel by purchasing an international roaming pack with Kogan. You can get:
- 1 day roaming for $10 - 1GB data 50 call minutes, 50 texts.
- 3 day roaming for $25 - 2GB data 100 call minutes, 100 texts.
- 7 day roaming for $45 - 5GB 150 call minutes, 150 texts.
📞 International call packs
You can also sign up to international call packs which will allow you to chat with friends and family overseas. The packs include:
- 10 countries for $5
- 15 countries for $10
- 20 countries for $15
All 3 of these plans offer consumers 250 minutes of standard international calls for 30 days.
Kogan is a solid choice, especially if you're after a long-term plan. But for those who aren't interested in big data or want to view a few of the alternatives on the market:
For a similar provider:
Lebara is a strong contender on value for its monthly mobile plans. It comes with decent data and excellent international inclusions.
For better value long-term plans:
If you're considering signing on for 12 months, Moose Mobile has good value monthly mobile plans. There's also more variety in data limits to choose from.
For better coverage:
Is coverage a concern? Boost Mobile uses the full Telstra 4G and 5G network, reaching 99.5% of Australians.
Once you've decided which Kogan plan you're after, you can easily sign up online. According to Kogan's site, SIM delivery is free but can take up to 14 days to arrive, meaning you might need to wait, especially if you're in a rural area.
What if I want to keep my current phone number?
Keeping your current mobile number is easy. Once you have your Kogan SIM card, head to the activation site and let Kogan know you want to transfer your current number, and they'll handle the rest.
This transfer will usually take about 3 hours to happen and you could lose service during that period.
If your current number is under someone else's name (a parent or partner), it might be a little harder. If this is you, check our guide on how to transfer ownership of your mobile number.
Why you can trust Finder's mobile plan experts
We've done the work
We've researched and reviewed hundreds of phone plans to make our guides as helpful as possible. Our experts can be seen across TV, print and digital media.
Our product database of 52 providers is updated daily with the latest mobile deals in Australia. Our guides are regularly reviewed and fact-checked.
We're here to help
Since 2015, we've helped over 1.2 million people find the right mobile plan by explaining features clearly and simply. We're here to help you make a decision.