Is Kogan Mobile right for me?
- Product highlights: Competitive pricing, frequent promotions, discounts for purchasing recharges in bulk.
- Watch out for: Kogan's regular promotions are only available to new customers, so you can't take advantage of them when recharging an existing Kogan Mobile service.
Kogan Mobile's lowest cost plans are its 30-day prepaid plans, which offer unlimited standard national calls and texts as well as a fixed quantity of data to use during your monthly recharge cycle. The plans are labelled by size, but that simply refers to the quantity of data on offer:
- Small: Unlimited calls and texts, 3GB of data, typically $16.90.
- Medium: Unlimited calls and texts, 13GB of data, typically $29.90.
- Large: Unlimited calls and texts, 20GB of data, typically $36.90.
- Extra Large: Unlimited calls and texts, 40GB of data, typically $49.90.
The use of the word "typically" is deliberate because, amongst MVNOs, Kogan Mobile is very aggressive in discounting its plans, especially for new Kogan Mobile customers.
While many prepaid providers offer a simple monthly plan and leave it at that, Kogan Mobile also offers flexible 90-day prepaid plans, with a consumer-friendly twist.
Kogan Mobile's base 90-day plans have the same names and inclusions as the 30-day plans, and they include a data provision that refreshes every 30 days. It's like buying three 30-day plans with a slight discount for paying upfront, making them even cheaper than the monthly prepaid plans.
- Small: Unlimited calls and texts, 3GB of data, typically $46.90.
- Medium: Unlimited calls and texts, 13GB of data, typically $79.90.
- Large: Unlimited calls and texts, 20GB of data, typically $99.90.
- Extra Large: Unlimited calls and texts, 40GB of data, typically $139.90.
Like the 30-day plans, Kogan Mobile frequently runs sales and specials to entice customers to switch, often with very low price points.
Kogan Mobile's 365-day plans work in the same style as its 90-day plans, offering a full year's worth of access with unlimited standard national calls and texts, and a quota of data usage that refreshes every 30 days. Like the 90-day plans, you save by paying for a year's usage upfront, with cheaper access relative to the cost of a 30-day plan.
- Small: Unlimited calls and texts, 3GB of data, typically $179.90.
- Medium: Unlimited calls and texts, 13GB of data, typically $299.90.
- Large: Unlimited calls and texts, 20GB of data, typically $399.90.
- Extra Large: Unlimited calls and texts, 40GB of data, typically $529.90.
As with its 30-day and 90-day plans, it's not uncommon to find specials running on Kogan Mobile's 365-day plans. Given the scope of these plans, that can lead to significant savings, although obviously, you've got to be happy sticking with the one provider for a full calendar year.
- Offers regular deals with some of the deepest discounts in the business
- Standard pricing is also highly competitive
- Pre-paying offers even more savings
As it does with its other ventures, Kogan Mobile is very aggressive on price against other low-cost MVNO providers, and that often means that it compares favourably at a base-price level. It's largely a no-frills provider, so you shouldn't opt for its plans if you want additional features such as streaming subscriptions, lots of bundled international calls or the like.
There are plenty of prepaid MVNOs in the market, but Kogan Mobile's positioning is relatively unique amongst them, thanks to its upfront payment for prepaid services model. If you're content to pay a lump sum upfront, you get a cheaper "monthly" plan (in effect) over your contract term with a recurring data quota, where many competing plans give you your entire data quota upfront. That gives you more data immediately, but once it's gone, you're offline unless you can buy more data.
Kogan also sells mobile handsets through its direct import store, but it doesn't explicitly bundle those with a Kogan Mobile plan, although you can get a Kogan Mobile SIM for free in the box if you buy a smartphone through Kogan.
One notable perk for Kogan Mobile customers is that you can link your Qantas Frequent Flyer account to your mobile account and earn points for every dollar spent with the carrier.
In terms of add-on extras, you can also opt to purchase additional data packs in 2GB increments for $14.90 with a 30-day expiry period. For those who want to make additional international calls (which otherwise wouldn't be covered as part of your plan), you can pay $14.90 and get that much extra credit to spend on international calls. This also comes with 30 days of expiry.
Valid forms of Australian ID
- A credit or debit card in your name, issued by an Australian banking institution
- A driver's license, issued within Australia
- An Australian passport, or an international passport with a valid Australian visa
- A Medicare card
Now you're all set to start using your new Kogan Mobile service. Congratulations!
Kogan Mobile's prepaid plans can last for up to a full year, depending on your choice of plan, but eventually, you're going to need to recharge your credit. Here's how you can do that:
- Online via credit card. Kogan Mobile customers can manage their accounts, including recharges, via Kogan Mobile's website. Standard Visa, Mastercard and American Express credit and debit cards are accepted for recharges, but PayPal and Diners Club cards are not.
- SMS. If you've saved a credit or debit card to your Kogan Mobile account, you can recharge by texting a specific code to 12612 from your Kogan Mobile device. Texts relate directly to each prepaid tier as well as to data and premium service bolt-ons. These texts include SMALL30, SMALL90, SMALL365, MEDIUM30, MEDIUM90, MEDIUM365, LARGE30, LARGE90, LARGE365, EXTRALARGE30, EXTRALARGE90, EXTRALARGE365, BIG DATA PACK, DATAPACK and PREMBOLT.
- App. Owners of Android or iOS devices can manage their Kogan Mobile account, including recharges, via the free Kogan Mobile app. It's available for iOS (iPhone or iPad) devices (download here) or Android devices (download here).
Sorry, we can't find any deals for this provider right now.
Back to top