amaysim offers convenient contract-free plans for those happy to bring handsets to its mobile phone service.
What services does amaysim offer?
amaysim is a sim-only provider running on Optus’ full 4G network on both a month by month contract or prepaid basis for its plans.
amaysim offers three different types of plans. Its As You Go offering works on an essentially prepaid basis, with a set quantity of credit based on your recharge tier which can be used for calls, texts or data. The Flexi plan operates more like a regular contract, but with no set inclusions, so your monthly charge can be used for any combination of calls, texts or data.
amaysim’s "Unlimited" plans all come with 28 day expiry terms, but its "As You Go" offering has a full 365 day expiry period.
How much does amaysim cost?
amaysim’s pricing varies by plan and plan type, depending on whether you opt for the unlimited or as you go plans.
amaysim’s unlimited plans, as the name suggests, don’t have breakout prices for calls or texts because every tier offers unlimited national calls and texts as part of the standard package. As such, what you pay for in the upper tiers is increased data allowances and allowances for international calling. Pricing on the unlimited tiers varies from $24.90 to $49.90 depending on your choice and intermittent special deals.
If you’re on the As You Go plan, the lowest starter credit is $10, which lasts for 365 days. Standard calls are 12c per minute, including within the amaysim network. The same price applies to standard SMS as well. Data is charged at 7.2c per MB.
What extras does amaysim offer?
As a SIM-only provider, amaysim’s general extras are relatively thin on the ground. Customers on the Flexi plan can make calls or send texts to other amaysim users without additional charge, which is a nice bonus. On the Unlimited plan tier, you get unlimited national calls, but also unlimited calls to 10 countries -- China, Hong Kong, India, Malaysia, New Zealand, Singapore, South Korea, Thailand, UK and USA -- as part of every recharge tier. The top two tiers of amaysim’s unlimited plans also give you 300 minutes of calling time to use calling Austria, Bangladesh, Cambodia, Canada, Chile, Croatia, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Indonesia, Ireland, Italy, Japan, Netherlands, Pakistan, Philippines, Poland, South Africa, Taiwan, Turkey or Vietnam.
In terms of texts, the unlimited plans also offer unlimited texts to 32 different countries as part of the package.
- 4G Capability. amaysim offers direct access to Optus' 4G network, which means that the data you buy can be impressively speedy, presuming you're in a good Optus reception area.
- Unlimited calls. All of amaysim's unlimited plans offer unlimited calls and texts to Australian numbers.
- International options: All plans include unlimited international texts to 32 countries, and selected higher-end plans offer calling minutes for international destinations as well.
- Flexibility: The flexi plans, as the name suggests, are good if you want to choose where to use your calling credit.
- Long expiry: If you just want a phone number to be contacted on, amaysim's As You Go plans can give you that at a flat $5 for a full year.
- Basic plans. amaysim's value proposition is one of budget calls and data, so there's little in the way of extra goodies such as additional subscription services.
- No contract plans. If you want a subsidised handset, this isn't the right choice.
amaysim prepaid recharge options
amaysim provides multiple hassle-free ways to recharge your prepaid mobile service.
- Recharge online: amaysim provides its My amaysim portal for customers to recharge prepaid services or purchase additional services such as data top-ups. Payments are accepted from major credit cards or PayPal. You can also set your service to automatically recharge on a regular basis.
- With the amaysim app: amaysim supplies a free app for iOS (download here) and Android (download here) platforms for you to manage your recharges.
- Via voucher: You can purchase vouchers to recharge your amaysim prepaid mobile service. Once you’ve purchased a voucher, it can be applied through the My amaysim portal. Alternately, you can text your recharge voucher number to 568 from your amaysim mobile phone, or use the my amaysim app.