- Easy-to-use mobile app for plan management on the move
- Lots of custom support options, including live chat
- Unlimited data banking
- 28-day expiry period means an extra recharge throughout the year
- Bonus data only last for the first 1 or 3 recharges
amaysim's had a strong reputation for value since its launch in 2010, cutting its line-up down to just prepaid plans before getting acquired by Optus.
Here's why we think amaysim offers decent mobile plans:
- Wide variety of data allowances available to suit most people
- 1 of only 3 mobile providers to offer unlimited data banking
- Long expiry plans come with good value when you first sign up
- Get your SIM delivered for free anywhere in Australia
- Recharge and manage your plan on the go with the highly-rated amaysim mobile app
While data seems to be a focus with many of amaysim's plans, keep the following in mind:
- Bonus data lasts for the first 1 or 3 recharges before dropping down to less stellar inclusions
- amaysim's pay-as-you-go roaming rates can add up quickly if you use your plan overseas – we'd recommend getting a local or travel SIM on holiday instead
Read a more detailed review on
Value for money
Most of amaysim's 28-day plans are decent value, offering a good balance between data and price. Its long history as a trusted mobile provider helps too.
You could probably find cheaper options, especially after the bonus data periods wear off.
amaysim's $10 for 2GB plan is equivalent to $5 for 1GB. Entry-level plans around this price point average around $5-$10 per 1GB, so even though it's not incredible value, it's pretty normal for smaller data amounts.
amaysim has 3 long-expiry plans on offer where you can choose between a 6-month or year-long expiry.
Long-expiry plans are often better value than signing onto a regular prepaid plan since you're paying for a longer term of usage upfront.
amaysim's 2 year-long expiry plans aren't the most competitive in the market, but could still be worth considering if you enjoy its other plan features.
Its 6-month plan performs more favourably, especially if you're looking to use more than 10GB a month.
amaysim also offers a short-term 7-day plan, which comes with 10GB for $10.
While you can't argue with the value, the expiry period means this is only useful if you need a temporary plan for whatever reason or if you're visiting Australia for a week.
- Good to know: The majority of amaysim's 28-day plans average out to $1.30 per 1GB for the first 3 recharges or $1.44 from the fourth recharge onwards. This is about average when compared against the standard benchmark of $1 for 1GB.
Things to watch out for include the following:
- Double-check your voicemail message. There are online reports of pre-owned SIMs coming with bizarre voicemail recordings from previous owners.
- All amaysim plans are set to automatically renew by default, so if you're not keen on this feature, you'll need to disable it yourself.
When you're signed up with amaysim, you should have decent reception in most areas on Australia's second-largest network.
- Full Optus 4G coverage reaches 98.5% of the population, so metropolitan customers shouldn't have problems.
- You'll get the exact same coverage with amaysim that you would get on a plan purchased from Optus.
- You may notice the gap in coverage between amaysim and Telstra's 99.5% network coverage in some rural or regional areas.
Highly rated app 4.5 Finder rating No in-store locations
If you need to get in touch with amaysim, you can contact them 7 days a week in a variety of ways:
- Ring up the amaysim call centre 9am-6pm weekdays or 10am-5:30pm weekends.
- Send a message via live chat for a fast response, 8am-6:45pm weekdays or 10am-5:30pm weekends.
- Shoot an email through to its customer support team if your problem takes some explaining.
- Hop on social media and message amaysim on Twitter or Facebook between 8am-8pm, 7 days a week.
While the amaysim app doesn't let you get support, it's highly rated by thousands of users on app stores and offers all the functionality you'd expect. You can recharge, change plans and even leave feedback.
- Keep in mind: While you can buy amaysim SIM cards in supermarkets and news agencies, it doesn't have any physical stores for you to get face-to-face help.
amaysim is pretty light on bonus features, but the one perk it does have is really useful if you need it.
🔄 Data banking
amaysim offers unlimited data banking on all its prepaid plans, letting you save any data you don't use for a later date.
It's 1 of only 3 providers that offer unlimited data rollover, stretching the value of your monthly data. There's also no expiry on how long you can keep your data for.
🌏 International inclusions
If you have friends or family overseas you'd like to keep in touch with, amaysim's international call and text inclusions could come in handy.
You'll get unlimited talk and text to 28 countries on the $30 plan, which gets extended to 42 countries on the more expensive 28-day plans.
The 6-month long-expiry plan also has unlimited talk and text to 28 countries.
Although amaysim's plans have good value, especially for the first few recharges, there are other providers that are putting up a challenge.
For better coverage:
Although Boost lags a bit in value compared to amaysim, it's the only smaller provider to use the full Telstra 4G network. This could lead to better reception in rural areas.
For better long-term value:
Moose Mobile is a solid alternative to amaysim. Its plans offer better long term value than amaysim, with promotions lasting for the first year. It also has 12-month contract options with even better value.
For more data:
If amaysim doesn't have quite enough data for you, Circles.Life has a number of affordable high data plans including its popular 100GB plan.
If you've decided you're happy with amaysim, you can choose which plan suits you best from our comparison table above and click the green "Go to site" button. This will take you through to amaysim's site, where you can complete your purchase.Click here to choose an amaysim plan
What if I want to keep my current phone number?
amaysim makes keeping your number simple. When you sign up online, you'll get a prompt asking whether you want to keep your current number. Hit yes, and amaysim will handle the transfer within 1-3 business days.
If your current number is under someone else's name (a parent or partner), it might take a little longer. Check our guide on how to transfer ownership of your mobile number.
Icons made by Freepik from www.flaticon.com