amaysim mobile plans
Save on your mobile bill with no excess charges and no contracts with amaysim prepaid.
We’re reader-supported and may be paid when you visit links to partner sites. We don’t compare all products in the market, but we’re working on it!
amaysim launched in 2010 and grew to be the largest MVNO in Australia, narrowing down its mobile plans to purely prepaid options with no lock-in contracts before being acquired by Optus. On an amaysim prepaid plan, you'll never be charged for excess data usage and you'll be able to make calls and send texts on the Optus 4G network.
- No lock-in contracts so you can switch at any time
- International inclusions are common on its plans
- PAYG options available for people who don't use their phones a lot
Compare amaysim prepaid plans
amaysim has a solid selection of prepaid plans, regardless of whether you're hungry for data or want to keep it cheap. On top of its regular plans, it has two long expiry options, plus a PAYG plan for customers who don't need data so much as a few calls and texts.
What are amaysim plans like?
amaysim's regular unlimited talk and text plans range from $12 to $50 per month, offering up to 80GB of data every 28 days. You can save on the cost per GB if you pick up one of its long expiry plans, which last for 6 or 12 months.
Beyond that, most amaysim plans come with international call inclusions for up to 42 countries. For a further breakdown of its plans, flick through the tabs below - we even investigate how much money you could potentially save by signing up to one of amaysim's long expiry plans.
amaysim's prepaid month-to-month plans
amaysim has 5 basic prepaid plans ranging from 2GB for $12 up to 80GB for $50. Expiry periods last for 28 days.
- 2GB at $12/28 days. Unlimited standard calls and texts.
- 6GB at $20/28 days. Unlimited standard calls and texts.
- 30GB (+20GB for first 3 recharges) at $30/28 days. Unlimited standard calls and texts. Unlimited international calls and text for 28 selected countries.
- 50GB at $40/28 days. Unlimited standard calls and texts. Unlimited international calls and text for 42 selected countries.
- 80GB at $50/28 days. Unlimited standard calls and texts. Unlimited international calls and text for 42 selected countries.
amaysim's 7 day plan
amaysim has recently added a new 7-day mobile plan to its lineup for those who are after a short-term option.
- 10GB at $10/7 days. Unlimited standard calls and texts. Unlimited international calls and text for 42 selected countries.
amaysim's long expiry plans
On an amaysim long expiry plan, you get all your data for the 6-month or 1-year period upfront, so you have to be careful not to use it all at once. Here's how the long expiry plans compare to its $20 monthly unlimited prepaid plan.
|Plan||Expiry period||GB available over a year||How does it compare?|
|6GB for $20||28 days||78GB/365 days||Over 365 days, you'll be spending $260 and get 78GB. You only get to use 6GB each month, though.|
|125GB for $150||6 months||250GB/12 months||Over 12 months, you'll be spending $300 – $40/year more compared to the 6GB plan but you will get over 6 times more data than you would with the 6GB plan over a year.|
|120GB for $200||12 months||120GB/12 months||Over 12 months, you'll be spending $200 – saving $60/year compared to the 6GB plan. You get 60% more data than you would with the 6GB plan over a year.|
PAYG plan from amaysim
The amaysim pay as you go plan is as simple as it sounds – you pay for your usage as your plan goes along. It starts you out with $10 worth of credit, with no standard inclusions. You'll be charged for all calls, texts and every MB of data you use, with the cost of these coming out from the $10 credit you've paid for.
amaysim review: Is amaysim any good?
amaysim began as a small telco back in 2010, but grew to be the largest MVNO in Australia. It has since acquired a host of other providers, including Vaya (2016), Jeenee Mobile (2019) and OVO (2020), before being itself acquired by Optus in 2020.
amaysim has gone beyond simple prepaid plans, offering amaysim data plans too. Here's what makes amaysim's plans worth a look when comparing your options:
All prepaid plans
Prepaid plans have the built-in advantage that you can never break your data limit – your service gets cut off once you hit your cap, meaning no excess charges. That said, you won't be able to get a phone on a plan from amaysim, so you'll have to look elsewhere for a handset deal.
No contract plans
Month-to-month plans guarantee that you can change your plan when you feel like it or go on holiday without continuing to pay. There are no termination fees and no pressure to stick around. However, on a long expiry plan, you may want to ride out the rest of your data since you've paid a lot upfront.
These aren't for everyone, but they're exceptionally useful for people who don't use their phones very often, or don't need much data. amaysim is one of the few on the market to offer one, but steer clear if you plan to use any data as its rates are quite expensive.
amaysim has won several awards for customer satisfaction, including the 2018 Roy Morgan award for customer satisfaction. Its customer service is available 9am-5pm weekdays by phone, and there are amaysim live chat options at many other hours, too.
Last but not least, amaysim comes with its own functional app that lets you track your usage and recharge easily. Not every provider has one of these, but it's a pretty handy tool.
Some other useful features that amaysim offers on its prepaid plans include:
- International inclusions. The 3 higher value amaysim plans provide free international calls to 28 countries. The top 2 have 300 minutes of standard talk to 14 countries.
- Extra data. If you find yourself needing more data before the end of the month, you can purchase an extra 1GB for $10.
- Student discounts. amaysim offers a $10 student discount off its 6GB for $20 plan, for the first 3 renewals. You have to register with Student Beans, verify your student status, and use amaysim's discount code to take advantage of this offer.
- Roaming. When travelling overseas, you can use an amaysim SIM but everything will be charged at a much higher rate than normal. This can lead to rapid depletion of your credit.
- Same- or next-day delivery. If you live in Sydney or Melbourne metro areas, you can get your SIM delivered ASAP for an additional $10.
If you're looking for an affordable plan from a provider that isn't one of the big 3, amaysim has a lot going for it and is a fairly safe choice. Below is a quick rundown of a couple of additional options that some mobile providers like to offer on top of their standard calls and data inclusions. Here's how amaysim fares:
|Automatic prepaid recharge|
|Auto data top-ups|
|Data-free media streaming|
So is it worth signing up to amaysim? We ask our utilities expert and writer, Sam Baran
Yes, amaysim is a solid choice if you don't want a plan from the big 3 carriers. Despite shorter expiry periods, most of amaysim's plans offer consistently good data value, without limiting them to the first few recharges. Its 6 month long expiry plan is similarly high value, but its 12 month plan doesn't hold up to the competition quite as well. If you're looking for a long expiry plan, check out 365 day prepaid plan options from Boost and Kogan which serve slightly better value.
How does amaysim compare?
To give you an idea of how amaysim's plans measure up, we compared one of its 28 day expiry plans against competitors Optus and Boost Mobile.
|Plan name||amaysim 50GB for $40||Optus Epic Data $40||Boost Mobile $40 Prepaid|
|Data allowance||50GB||20GB (+25GB on first 3 recharges)||30GB (+15GB on first 3 recharges)|
|Expiry period||28 days||28 days||28 days|
|Included extras||International inclusions||Data rollover, bonus streaming data||Data rollover, international inclusions, data-free Apple Music streaming|
amaysim's higher cost plan stands out as the best among these options. While Optus technically gives you a little bit more in the way of extras, their data value drops sharply after 3 recharges. The same goes for Boost Mobile. Where amaysim loses out a little is in expiry periods - some providers offer full-month plans that require fewer recharges during the year.
We've done the same comparison for amaysim's long expiry plans, against Kogan Mobile and Boost Mobile:
|amaysim||Boost Mobile||Kogan Mobile|
|Plan name||amaysim 1 year plan||Boost Mobile 12 month expiry||Kogan Mobile Medium 365 days|
|Data allowance||120GB||240GB||158GB (13GB added to allowance every 30 days)|
|Expiry period||1 year||1 year||1 year|
|Data per dollar spent||$1.67 per 1GB||$1.25 per 1GB||$1.30 per 1GB|
|Included extras||None||International inclusions, data-free Apple Music streaming||Qantas reward points|
amaysim's long expiry plan doesn't hold up well against the competition. It has the worst data value of the three, and doesn't have any included extras to improve it. There's no real reason to purchase it over Kogan Mobile's offering, unless you want to be able to spend all that data at once and don't like the way Kogan splits it up into monthly data infusions.
Does amaysim work overseas?
amaysim international roaming
Your amaysim SIM card can be used for roaming in more than 50 countries, and can be enabled through the settings in your My amaysim account section. We can't recommend using amaysim for roaming since it's a very expensive option and you're much better off grabbing a travel SIM instead.
amaysim international calls
As far as international texts and calls go, some of the major countries included with amaysim plans are Canada, Germany, China, France, Japan, United States, UK, New Zealand, Sweden and more.
Mobile providers often update the list of available countries for international calls and texts, so make sure you check amaysim's website if you're looking to call a specific place.
How do I activate my amaysim sim card?
Once you've gotten hold of a SIM card either by ordering it online or from a store, you simply head to the amaysim website and look under "Activate your SIM", or follow the instructions that came with the SIM. After completing this process, your service should be ready to go in a few minutes to a couple of hours.
How do I recharge with amaysim?
amaysim provides four methods for recharging:
- amaysim app. The amaysim app is available on both Apple and Android and can be downloaded from their app stores for free.
- Online. Visit My amaysim on its website via desktop or on your mobile browser. Follow the instructions listed.
- By phone. If you have a recharge voucher, you can send an SMS with the voucher code to 568 to recharge over your handset.
- Auto recharge. You can set up an auto-recharge either online or via the app and have your plan automatically refreshed every period. Remember that this payment won't stop until you cancel it, no matter whether you're using the service or not.
amaysim accepts the following payment types for all recharges:
- Credit and debit cards
- Recharge vouchers purchased from a retailer, including Woolworths, Coles and Australia Post
amaysim Mobile: FAQ
Who is amaysim owned by?
What network is amaysim on?
More guides on Finder
amaysim promo codes and plans
amaysim is a mobile virtual network operator which delivers simple and competitive 4G mobile services to Australian mobile customers.
Latest mobile plan deals on Finder
Get no excess data charges on these unlimited data mobile plans.
Avoid bill shock and control your spending with the best-value offers.
Ask an Expert