Woolworths Mobile offers prepaid plans with a specific discount for Woolworths Reward card holders.
What services does Woolworths Mobile offer?
The prepaid plans that Woolworths Mobile provides are supplied on parts of Telstra’s 4G and 3G networks. This is a slightly smaller nationwide footprint than Telstra’s "full" 4G service, and it’s also capped at slower download and upload rates. Most plans are sold SIM-only on a prepaid 30 day basis.
If you want a post paid plan then it is available only with a handset bundled on Woolworths Mobile, and only on 24-month contract plans. These post paid plans include a certain allowance of included calls and data, which can be topped up with extensions.
How much does Woolworths Mobile cost?
The base line pricing for Woolworths Mobile monthly prepaid plans is either $30 or $45 per recharge with unlimited national calls and texts and either 3GB or 8GB of included data. There is also an online-only, recharge only $15 recharge tier that comes with $250 worth of calls, unlimited texts and 400MB of data. On that tier, calls are priced at 90c per minute plus a 40c flagfall.
The complicating factor with Woolworths Mobile prepaid plan recharges is that it offers a 10% discount for Woolworths Reward card holders, bringing the respective prices for a monthly recharge down to $13.50, $27 and $40.50 respectively. If you’re at all keen on Woolworths Mobile there’s no reason not to get a free Rewards card and save yourself a little cash each month.
The total cost of a post paid plan will include the cost of the plan itself, as well as an additional monthly fee for the handset. At the end of the initial 24 month post paid plan you'll remain on it on a month-to-month basis. The monthly cost of a post-paid plan includes a minimum monthly charge, your handset fee, the cost of any extensions, and any charges you have incurred that month. As such, the total cost of a post paid plan is largely dependent on your choice of handset.
What extras does Woolworths Mobile offer?
As with most prepaid SIM-only plans the number of extras on offer for Woolworths Mobile customers is a little thin on the ground. If you recharge at the $30 or $45 tier within your expiry period, however, any unused data will accumulate into the following month. You can cascade data through multiple months if you’re not using it this way, up to a maximum of 15GB of stored data quota.
- Discounts for Woolworths Reward card holders. If you already do your supermarket shop at Woolworths, the allure of even cheaper plans is a big one.
- Data rollover. Rollover provisions aren’t common in the prepaid world, especially when it comes to data. Realistically if you’re always rolling data over you’re probably spending too much on a monthly basis, but it does give you flexibility with your prepaid data at least.
- Speed limited 4G. Telstra doesn’t open up the full 4G pipe for its wholesale MVNO customers, including Woolworths Mobile. As such, if you were transferring from a full Telstra SIM to Woolies, you might notice a bit of a speed dip, especially for downloads.
Woolworths Mobile prepaid recharge options
Running low on credit, or about to hit your expiry period with Woolworths Mobile? There’s a wide variety of ways to recharge your service.
- Recharge online: Woolworths Mobile handles recharges through its online recharge portal, which handles major credit cards and voucher recharges for all its prepaid services. It’s also possible to set up a recurring recharge if you don’t want to fuss with monthly manual recharges.
- With the Woolworths Mobile App: Woolworths Mobile customers can manage their prepaid mobile services, including recharges. It’s available free of charge for iOS (download here) and Android smartphones (download here).
- With a voucher: You can purchase a recharge voucher for your Woolworths Mobile service at any Woolworths supermarket location, which can then be applied through the app or online portal.