felix mobile is offering as much data as you want for $35 per month. It's capped at a respectable 20Mbps that still lets you browse, stream and sync to your heart's content.
- 1 of 2 mobile plans in Australia with no data limit
- 100% carbon neutral provider
- Referral discount for you and your friends
- Pause your subscription whenever you want
- 20Mbps limited download speed may be a problem for some
- Purely digital customer support
- Poor value international roaming
Launched by TPG Telecom in 2020, felix is an affordable option for those looking to grab an eco-friendly plan while not sacrificing on data and plan inclusions.
felix only has the 1 plan and is aimed at those looking for unlimited mobile data.If you're only looking to use 10-20GB each month (or less), you'll probably be better off with a cheaper plan elsewhere.
But for $35 a month, you'll be far fetched to find a better data deal:
- It's 1 of 2 mobile plans in Australia that actually has no monthly data limit
- Also 1 of 2 carbon neutral providers in Australia
- You can easily access customer support via the felix mobile app
Just make sure you're aware of the following before signing up:
- Your mobile Internet speed will never be faster than 20Mbps
- Its international roaming add-on isn't that enticing ($20 for 4GB for some calls and texts) - we'd recommend grabbing a local/travel SIM when travel is back on the cards
🌱 felix's commitment to the environment
Something we think is worth calling out is felix's work as a 100% carbon neutral mobile provider. This distinction is only shared by one other telco, Belong.
felix was a finalist in the 2021 Finder Green Awards for Mobile Plan Provider of the Year. It:
- Is powered by 100% renewable energy
- Plants 1 tree each month for every active felix subscription
Read a more detailed review on
Value for money
felix only has one plan with unlimited data for $35 per month.
This is great value
– but only if you're burning through 30GB or more
Otherwise, grab something cheaper elsewhere.
The main catch with felix is that your download speed is capped at 20Mbps
. For comparison, the average 4G speed in Australia is around 38.5Mbps.
You may notice that difference when downloading big app updates, but otherwise, you can stream, sync and browse with no problem at 20Mbps. It's unlikely to impact you
Things to watch out for
- Your download speed won't ever be faster than 20Mbps
- You are only allowed to tether your felix mobile plan to your personal devices, and you can't use it as a substitute for home Internet
felix operates on the Vodafone mobile network
, which has the least amount of coverage out of the 3 Aussie networks.
- It reaches 96% of the Australian population, which should be fine if you live in a metropolitan area
- Has identical coverage to a plan purchased directly from Vodafone
- Compared to Telstra's 99.5% coverage, you may find that you lack coverage in some rural and regional areas
You can reach felix mobile any day of the week, but only online:
- Speak to an agent via live chat on the felix mobile website, 8am-8pm every day
- Chat to an agent via the mobile app, where you can also pause or renew your plan, update your details and even see how many trees felix has planted for you
- Keep in mind: There aren't any physical store locations or call centres for felix mobile, so if you prefer speaking to someone for help, you may want to look elsewhere.
While felix doesn't have the sweeping extras of a bigger provider, it still has a few benefits on offer.
😊 7-Day Happiness Guarantee
If you're unhappy with your felix mobile plan within 7 days of activation, you can claim a full refund via the app.
👫 Referral discount
When you refer a friend to felix mobile, you'll both get a $5 credit on your plans when they activate.
⏸ Pause your subscription
Want to put your mobile plan on hold, but not lose your phone number?
You can pause your subscription for up to 242 days after your latest renewal without paying a cent (but you also won't be able to make calls or send texts).
For another green option:
Belong is the only other carbon neutral provider in Australia, and its plans come in a little more variety. Choose from 3 plans starting at 20GB for $25 per month.
For better coverage
If you live in a rural or regional part of the country, or coverage just matters to you, consider Boost Mobile. It shares the same 4G coverage as Telstra which covers 99.5% of Aussies.
For more big data:
If you're into having lots of data but at un-capped speeds, check out Circles.Life. Its 100GB plan is only a couple of dollars more than felix, but there's no limit on your speed.
Signing up to felix should only take a couple of minutes. You can easily sign up via Finder by clicking the green "Go to site" button.Click here to sign up to felix
Keep in mind that you'll also need to download the felix mobile app in order to complete your purchase.
What if I want to keep my current phone number?
You can choose to keep your current phone number via the app when you activate your SIM.
felix says porting your number should only take a few minutes normally, but could take up to 3 hours (so long as you activate your SIM during business hours).
If your current phone number is under someone else's name (like a parent or partner), it might take a little longer. Check our guide on how to transfer ownership of your mobile number.
Icons made by Freepik from www.flaticon.com