Coles wants to bring the cost of your mobile phone's connection down, down with its selection of Coles Mobile prepaid plans.
What services does Coles Mobile offer?
After years of offering SIM cards from other providers at its checkouts, Supermarket giant Coles decided to launch its own prepaid service in October 2015. Riding on the back of the Optus 4G network as an Mobile Virtual Network Operator (MVNO), Coles Mobile's offering is noteworthy for its simplicity, in that there are only three prepaid plans to choose from, with different inclusions depending on your individual need.
Currently, there are no contract or billed monthly options for customers who want to get their mobile service from Coles.
How much does Coles Mobile cost?
There are three prepaid plans on offer through the supermarket chain.
Meanwhile the Coles Mobile $10 for 10 days recharge includes unlimited national calls and text messages and 1GB of data. As it says on the tin, you have to recharge this option every 10 days, which could be inconvenient if you tend to set and forget your prepaid plan.
The other two Coles Mobile plans have 28 day expiry periods, as well as unlimited standard national calls and texts, and 2GB or 7GB of data for $20 or $40 per recharge respectively.
What extras does Coles Mobile offer?
The Coles Mobile prepaid offerings are pretty no-frills in their inclusions, so there's not a lot in the way of extras. Flybuys customers can use 500 points to cut $2.50 off their $10 recharge, though that wouldn't be a very effective use of rewards points. As with Coles in general, you earn 1 point for every $1 spent.
You can use call credit on the PAYG plan to call international numbers from a Coles number, with the exact rate charged depending on the country called and whether you're dialling a mobile or landline number. Rates for international calls start at $0.04/minute, with no connection fee. If you want to make international calls on the $10 for 10 days recharge, you'll need to buy the $5 extras credit option.
- Easy 4G options. There are only two recharge plans to choose from, and they both offer access to the Optus 4G network.
- Affordable recharges. Both prepaid recharge options cost $10, so the cost of entry is low. It may not suit your needs though.
- Use FlyBuys points for credit: While the exchange rate is incredibly poor value, the freedom to use Flybuy points to buy credit when money is tight could be useful.
- Questionable value. $10 for unlimited calls and text may sound good, but having to recharge every 10 days could prove very frustrating.
- No contract plans. If you want a subsidised handset, you will have to look elsewhere.
Coles Mobile prepaid recharge options
Coles Mobile provides numerous ways for you to handle recharges so that you never have to run out of credit:
- Recharge online: Coles Mobile provides a customer portal for making recharge payments, with payments accepted from Visa, Mastercard, American Express, JCB Card, PayPal or prepaid voucher. You can also set up recurring automatic recharges through the portal.
- Recharge via phone call: You can arrange a recharge of your Coles Mobile service by dialling 555 from your Coles Mobile connected handset.
- With a voucher: Coles sells recharge vouchers in all of its supermarket locations which can be applied to Coles Mobile services, either via phone or online as above.