Coles Home Insurance

Protect your home and precious belongings with Coles Home Insurance.

Compare policies to safeguard your property and possessions against fire, floods and more. Coles offers a 24/7 claims service, a lifetime guarantee on repairs and extra FlyBuys points that are redeemable Coles supermarkets.

We don't currently have this brand on our panel. But don't fret! You can head to the Coles website or compare a bunch of other home insurance companies with finder.

Compare home insurance fast

What policies are available from Coles Home Insurance?

Building Insurance

Building insurance covers the structure of your home and a number of other fixed items against the following dangers:

  • Fire
  • Flood
  • Impacts
  • Theft
  • Malicious acts
  • Animal damage

Contents Insurance

Contents insurance covers the following possessions in and around your home:

  • Electronics
  • Furniture
  • Carpets
  • Perishable food
  • Clothing
  • Toys
It also covers less tangible items such as digital media, computer software and documents.

You can combine both building and contents insurance together to insure your property and possessions. In addition, there are a number of optional benefits for specific valuable items or portable contents cover should you wish to include this in your policy.

What does each policy cover?

For building, contents and combined policies, you can select from two levels of cover: Home or Home Plus. Home Plus covers slightly more events and has higher benefit limits on individual items. Here is what a home and contents Home Plus policy covers:

Insured eventsHomeHome Plus
Buildings cover only, Contents cover only, Buildings & Contents
Accidental damage to your house and contents
  • no
  • yes
Claimable after insured event
Buildings cover
Building safety net
  • no
  • yes
Household appliance cover - buildings
  • no
  • yes
Accidental damage to building
  • no
  • yes
Contents Cover
Household appliance cover
  • no
  • yes
Cover for accidental loss or damage
  • yes
  • yes
Cover for theft, fire, flood, storm and water damage, lightning, earthquakes, vandalism and animal damage
  • yes
  • yes
Household appliances
  • yes
  • yes
Electric motor burnout
  • yes
  • yes
Temporary accommodation for up to 12 months
  • yes
  • yes
Demolition and removal of debris
  • yes
  • yes
Rebuilding costs including designed, legal and government charges
  • yes
  • yes
Replacement of trees and plants
  • yes
  • yes
Cover for burst pipes
  • yes
  • yes
Accidental glass breakage
  • yes
  • yes
Key and lock replacement
  • yes
  • yes
Jewellery and watches
  • yes
  • yes
  • yes
  • yes
  • yes
  • yes
  • yes
  • yes
Outdoor furniture
  • yes
  • yes
Rugs, blinds and curtains
  • yes
  • yes
Sporting goods and bicycles
  • yes
  • yes
Contents in transit while moving home
  • yes
  • yes

What isn’t covered?

Here are the general exclusions for Coles home insurance policies:

  • Natural disasters occurring within 48 hours of the start date of your policy, unless you are renewing or have just purchased the property
  • Earth movement not caused by an earthquake
  • Actions of the sea, including storm surges, tidal waves, tsunamis and high tides
  • Water seeping through or permeating walls, roofs or floors
  • Water entering your home through an opening made for the purpose of alterations, additions, renovations or repairs
  • Mechanical, electrical or electronic breakdown or malfunction of an item, except for motor burn out
  • Power surges, other than as a direct result of an insured event
  • Unlawful, malicious or deliberate acts by you or someone who lives in your home, or by someone who is a member of your family or who has entered your home or site with your consent
  • Your home while it is under construction
  • The incorrect siting of buildings or non-compliance with government regulations relating to buildings
  • Any building work, including any extensions, alterations or renovations
  • Your home if it is unoccupied for longer than 60 consecutive days unless you have informed Coles about this and they have agreed to provide cover
  • Gradual deterioration, including wear and tear, rust, corrosion, depreciation, fading or deterioration from exposure to light
  • Algae, mould or mildew, wet or dry rot, or rising damp
  • Inherent or structural defects, faulty design or workmanship
  • Pre-existing damage or any loss or damage which occurred before the start date of your policy
  • Inadequate maintenance or failure to keep your home in good repair
  • Vermin, rodents, wildlife or insects (including termites)
  • Pecking, biting, chewing, clawing, tearing, soiling or scratching by any animal or bird kept in your home or at the site
  • Chipping, cracking or scratching of any item or surface
  • A process necessarily involving the use of chemicals or the application of heat
  • The action of trees, plants or their roots as well as damage from tree felling or tree lopping on the site
  • The removal of tree stumps or trees which have fallen but have not damaged your home
  • Any loss or damage of whatever kind arising directly or indirectly out of:
    • The corruption, destruction or alteration of or damage to data, coding programmes or software
    • Losses from the unavailability of data or a reduction in the functionality, availability or operation of hardware, software and embedded
  • Damage to musical instruments, fishing and sporting equipment or firearms while someone is using them
  • Settlement, shrinkage, vibration, contraction or expansion in buildings, foundations, walls or pavements
  • Removing or weakening supports or foundations for alterations, additions, renovations or repair
  • Any process of cleaning, repairing, restoring or retouching of any item
  • Damage to swimming pools, spas, septic tanks or other in-ground structures, including their surroundings, caused by hydrostatic pressure
  • Courier or postal delivery of any insured property
  • Any coverage which requires compulsory insurance, workers’ compensation or employers’ liability insurance
  • Registered motor vehicles
  • Any error in computer programming or instructions to the computer
  • Any disease declared to be a quarantinable.
  • The lawful seizure, repossession, confiscation, nationalisation or requisition of your home or your contents.
  • War, invasion, acts of foreign enemies, hostilities or warlike operations.
  • Any nuclear-related event.
  • Any act of terrorism.
  • Asbestos, asbestos fibres or any form of asbestos derivative.

What excess will I have to pay?

If you choose Home Plus insurance, you may select the amount of excess you want to pay. The excess is a fixed amount for home insurance. By increasing the excess you are willing to pay, you will be able to reduce your premium. Your excess will be calculated based on the level of insurance you require and the items you wish to insure. You must pay the excess if you make a claim. If you are claiming for both home and contents, and the excesses are a different amount, you will be required to pay the higher excess.

How can I make a claim?

You can make a claim 24/7 by contacting Coles by phone. You will need to provide documentation from the police or proof of ownership if applicable. You must not replace or repair anything until you have discussed the claim with Coles unless it is an emergency. You may need to provide evidence of damage or allow Coles Financial Services to inspect the damage to your property before they pay out your claim. Once you have submitted your claim, Coles Financial Services will get multiple quotes for replacement or repair. You may also submit a quote from your preferred provider. Depending on the extent of damage and cost, Coles Financial Services will then arrange the replacement or repair of your building or contents or make a lump sum payment.


Was this content helpful to you? No  Yes

Related Posts

Ask an Expert

You are about to post a question on

  • Do not enter personal information (eg. surname, phone number, bank details) as your question will be made public
  • is a financial comparison and information service, not a bank or product provider
  • We cannot provide you with personal advice or recommendations
  • Your answer might already be waiting – check previous questions below to see if yours has already been asked

Finder only provides general advice and factual information, so consider your own circumstances, or seek advice before you decide to act on our content. By submitting a question, you're accepting our Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy.
Ask a question
Go to site