With energy prices rising, switch to a cheaper plan
Compare Prices Now

Kogan home insurance review

Kogan home insurance could be good if you want a policy that’s underwritten by a big insurer but also comes with Kogan.com perks.

No reviews yet. Write a review

We’re reader-supported and may be paid when you visit links to partner sites. We don’t compare all products in the market, but we’re working on it!

Our Verdict

  • You get lots of Kogan.com benefits, including a $50 credit and bonus rewards if you sign up as a Kogan First member.
  • Kogan home insurance is issued by Hollard, one of Australia's biggest insurers. It means you're in trusted hands but your policy is similar to other Hollard insurance products.
  • Its 20% discount isn't market-leading – Budget Direct, St.George and Westpac all offer more.
We don't currently have this brand on our panel. But don't fret! You can head to the Kogan website or compare a bunch of other home insurance companies with Finder.
Compare home insurance fast

What does Kogan home insurance cover?

There are 2 levels of home insurance cover available: Essential and Top. Both can deliver the all-important protection from natural events and legal liability cover while Top can also cover a range of additional benefits. You can choose from combined home and contents, contents only, and landlord insurance.

Here are some of the main events a Kogan home insurance policy can cover you for.

Kogan home insurance comes with a 14-day cooling off period which is less than other insurers – the standard is 21 days. This means you can cancel within 14 days of taking out a policy and you won't be charged, so long as you don't make a claim. Like all insurers, you'll also need to pay at least one excess when you submit a claim.

An overview of Kogan home insurance features

Check icon

Standard features

If an insured event like a storm, fire or theft occurs, a Kogan home insurance policy can help reimburse you for:
  • Temporary dog and cat accommodation
  • Replacement of locks
  • Discharge of mortgage costs
  • Emergency accommodation
  • Damage to trees, plants or shrubs
  • Funeral expenses

plus icon

Optional add-ons

Kogan doesn't offer an extensive range of optional add-ons, just the basics. These are benefits you can pay extra for. They include:
  • Specified personal effects
  • Portable valuables
  • Rent default (landlords only)

cross icon


Kogan's general exclusions are similar to other insurers. Here are some of the main events you won't be covered for:

  • Action of the sea
  • Bushfire, storm, rainwater or flood within 72 hours of taking out cover
  • Gradual deterioration
  • Home unoccupied for longer than 90 consecutive days
  • Inherent defects or maintenance failures
  • Any earth movement except as otherwise covered
  • Tree roots
  • Cleaning with heat or chemicals

Make sure you read Kogan's PDS for a full list of exclusions. You can also find out more about what home insurance doesn't cover here.

Wondering about Kogan's home insurance complaints?

We looked at home insurance complaint data from the Australian Financial Complaints Authority (AFCA) between July 2020 and June 2021. The data breaks down different underwriters and compares their business size to the number of complaints processed.

When comparing insurers, keep in mind that insurers with a larger market share serve more customers, so can potentially get more complaints.

Here's an overview of how Kogan (The Hollard Insurance Company Pty Ltd) did:

  • The Hollard Insurance Company has a pretty good rate of resolving its complaints directly with its customers considering the size of the company.
    • It has a high number of complaints compared to Auto & General and Youi.

    Bottom line about Kogan home insurance

    Kogan home insurance is good if you want an insurer that's underwritten by a big insurer like Hollard but comes with Kogan.com perks.

    If you're not yet ready to take out a policy, you can compare other home insurance policies side-by-side here.

    Frequently asked questions about Kogan home insurance

    A note on Kogan home insurance reviews

    If you've held or currently hold a Kogan home insurance policy, we'd love to hear from you. Your reviews help other Australians decide if Kogan is right for them. Some reviews are from a survey commissioned by Finder.

More guides on Finder

Ask an Expert

You are about to post a question on finder.com.au:

  • Do not enter personal information (eg. surname, phone number, bank details) as your question will be made public
  • finder.com.au is a financial comparison and information service, not a bank or product provider
  • We cannot provide you with personal advice or recommendations
  • Your answer might already be waiting – check previous questions below to see if yours has already been asked

Finder only provides general advice and factual information, so consider your own circumstances, or seek advice before you decide to act on our content. By submitting a question, you're accepting our Terms of Use, Disclaimer & Privacy Policy and Privacy & Cookies Policy.

2 Responses

  1. Default Gravatar
    PatriciaAugust 4, 2017

    How do i get a price for home and contents Insurance from Kogan?

    • Default Gravatar
      JonathanAugust 4, 2017

      Hello Patricia,

      Thank you for your inquiry.

      You can visit Kogan Insurance website and look for the “Home Insurance” and “Content Insurance” tabs. Afterwards, click “GET AN EXPRESS QUOTE” button.

      Hope this helps.


Go to site