Compare NRMA Home Insurance option online today and find out if they it's right for you
If you’re in the market for home and contents insurance, NRMA Home Insurance offers the following options: NRMA Home Buildings Insurance, NRMA Home Plus Buildings Insurance, NRMA Home Contents Insurance and NRMA Home Plus Contents Insurance.
Part of Insurance Australia Group (IAG), NRMA Insurance has operations in NSW, Queensland, the ACT and Tasmania. IAG underwrites almost $8 billion of insurance premiums each year, which means NRMA Insurance is backed by significant global strength.
In addition to car insurance, CTP insurance, life insurance and travel insurance, NRMA Home Insurance also offers policies designed to offer crucial insurance protection for your home and contents. Home and contents insurance is designed to provide cover when your home or possessions are damaged or destroyed by a wide range of risks, including everything from fire and storms to theft and malicious acts.
NRMA Home Insurance cover options
NRMA Home Buildings Insurance
This policy allows you to set the maximum level of cover for damage or loss to your building. It provides cover against fire and explosion, flood, storm, accidental breakage, lightning, theft and burglary, malicious damage and more. When you are legally liable for causing damage or injury to someone else or their property, up to $20 million of liability cover is also included.
This NRMA Home Insurance policy provides protection against damage or total loss caused to your building by:
- Fire and explosion
- Accidental breakage
- Theft and burglary
- Malicious acts
- Escape of liquid.
NRMA Home Plus Buildings Insurance
This policy offers the same cover as the Home Buildings Insurance policy but to a much higher level. It features a safety net of up to 25% of the sum insured to cover extra expenses if your home costs more to repair than expected. Up to $2,000 of cover is also included for your plants, trees and shrubs.
This NRMA Home Insurance policy offers all the features of the Home Buildings Insurance policy:
- Increased claim amounts for certain items and covers accidental damage
- A safety net of up to 25% of your sum insured is available for when repairing or rebuilding costs more than expected
- $2,000 of cover for plants, trees and shrubs is also included.
NRMA Home Contents Insurance
Note that this policy can be combined with an NRMA Home Buildings Insurance policy to offer complete cover. It provides cover against fire and explosion, flood, storm, accidental breakage, lightning, theft and burglary, malicious damage and more. Up to $20 million of legal liability cover is also included.
This policy can be bundled with an NRMA Home Buildings Insurance policy to offer complete home and contents cover. It provides cover against
- Fire and explosion
- Accidental breakage
- Theft and burglary
- Malicious damage
- Escape of liquids
- Up to $20 million of legal liability.
NRMA Home Plus Contents Insurance
This offers cover against the same risks as the ordinary NRMA Contents Insurance policy but to a higher limit. A safety net of up to 25% is included if your contents cost more to replace than expected, while $5,000 of cover for accidental damage to your contents when they’re being transported to your new home is also provided.
This NRMA Home Insurance offers the same features as Home Plus Contents Insurance but to a higher level:
- An extra 25% safety net to cover repair and replacement costs for your contents
- Cover is provided for your contents when they’re being transported to your new home
- $5,000 of identity theft.
|Actions of the sea|
|Built in dishwasher covered by contents cover|
|Can customers choose to opt out of flood cover|
|Contents in open air covered|
|Cover for accidental breakage of glass and ceramics|
|Cover for contents in transit while moving|
|Cover for domestic workers compensation|
|Cover for pets|
|Cover for shared household|
|Cover for specified portable items away from home|
|Cover for unspecified portable items away from home|
|Cover if thief entered with owners consent|
|Cover only the damaged area|
|Cover to match the next room|
|Cover whole room for damage to carpet tiles etc|
|Damage by animals|
|Days cover for both addresses while moving|
|Extra costs to comply with building regulations|
|Flash flooding stormwater rainfall run off|
|Flood as per the standard definition|
|Funeral expenses if someone dies because of a covered event|
|Funeral expenses limit|
|Fusion or motor burnout covered|
|Gates and fences covered for storm damage|
|Jewellery total limit|
|Landslide caused by a storm|
|Landslide caused by an earthquake|
|Legal liability millions|
|Lightning incl power surge|
|Limit for cash|
|Limit for replacing keys and locks|
|Limit for visitors contents|
|Liquid escaping such as from a burst pipe|
|Materials to match undamaged parts of home|
|New for old cover|
|Storm surge caused by seawater simultaneous to a flood|
|Theft of contents|
|Tools of trade total limit|
|Total replacement cover for home|
|Under insurance protection|
|Under insurance protection limit|
|Vandalism riots and malicious acts|
|Visitors contents covered|
|Water or liquid damage from pipes tanks pools etc|
|Wind and other storm damage|
Are there any general exclusions I need to be aware of?
Your NRMA Home Insurance claim will not be paid if:
- It is for rust, corrosion, depreciation or wear and tear
- It is for erosion, tidal wave or mould
- It is for subsidence or landslide, unless that which happens as the result of an earthquake
- It is for atmospheric conditions or extreme temperatures
- It is caused by vermin or insects
- It is caused by tree roots or tree lopping or felling
- It is caused by acts of war or terrorism
- It relates to the lawful seizure or confiscation of your home or contents
- It is for mechanical, structural or electrical failure
- It results from any intentional act or omission by you, one of your family members, or someone else acting with your consent
- It results from any illegal activity you or your family were involved in
- It is for costs caused by any business interruption
- It is for the cost of restoring or replacing any electronic files
- It relates to the settling, shrinkage or expansion of walls, foundations, etc
- It is for consequential loss of any kind
- It results from faulty design or workmanship
- Your claim occurs after you have left your home unoccupied for more than 60 consecutive days and failed to maintain it in a lived-in state
- You do not take reasonable care to protect your home and contents against loss or damage.
How much is NRMA Home Insurance going to cost me?
The following factors can affect the cost of your NRMA Home Insurance premium:
- Where do you live? Crime, storms and floods are all more likely to occur in certain areas than in others.
- What level of cover are you after? Choosing Home Plus cover will cost more than if you choose basic cover, for example.
- How much cover do you need? The more you want to insure your home and contents for, the more you’ll have to pay for cover.
- Do you live in the property? Whether you occupy your home or rent it out.
- How old is your home? How your home is constructed and the age of your home.
- How secure is your home? Whether you have any form of security system fitted to your home.
- What excess have you selected? The excess amount you choose to pay.
How does home insurance excess work?
When you make a claim under your NRMA Home Insurance policy, you’ll need to pay an excess to contribute to the cost of your claim. Depending on your policy and the nature of your claim, you may have to pay more than one excess. The following excesses apply to NRMA Home Insurance policies:
- Accidental damage
Got any tips to help me pay less for cover?
- Can you afford having a higher excess? This will result in a lower premium.
- Are you eligible for a No claim bonus? You’ll receive premium discounts for having a good insurance claims record.
- Can you get a linked policy discount? Link a Building Insurance policy and a Contents Insurance policy for the same address to enjoy savings on premiums.
- Are you able to get a Multi-policy discount? Customers who hold Building or Contents Insurance and another NRMA policy may be offered cheaper premiums.
- Can you get a loyalty discount? This discount is designed to reward customers for their loyalty.
How do I make a claim with NRMA?
If you wish to make a claim, you’ll need to notify NRMA Home Insurance as soon as possible. You can make a claim online through NRMA’s Self Service Centre, or you can phone 131 123 to lodge your claim over the phone. You’ll need to provide your policy number, the address of the insured property and a police incident report number (if applicable).
You must co-operate fully with NRMA Home Insurance and provide any information or documentation they deem necessary to process your claim. It’s also important to remember that you should never admit fault or attempt to settle a claim against you without the NRMA’s permission, but you must do everything possible to prevent any further loss or damage.
If you need home insurance, compare policies online
If you need quality insurance cover for your home and contents, consider the policies offered by NRMA Home Insurance. However, make sure to compare them with a wide range of other policies on the market to ensure that you end up getting the best possible deal.