Finder makes money from featured partners, but editorial opinions are our own.

NRMA Home Insurance review

NRMA home insurance is good if you want a large insurer with over 90 years of experience but you won't find many sign-up offers or discounts.

4.1 ★★★★★ (71 reviews) Write a review

Our Verdict

  • It comes with a lifetime guarantee on the workmanship of authorised repairs to your home.
  • It's one of the few providers to offer single item cover if you just want to insure items like your phone or laptop.
  • It doesn't do much in the way of discounts or sign-up offers, unlike other insurers such as Budget Direct, St.George and Westpac.
We don't currently have this brand on our panel. But don't fret! You can head to the NRMA website or compare a bunch of other home insurance companies with finder.
Compare home insurance fast

Home insurance customer satisfaction finalist - NSW

NRMA home insurance came in second place in NSW. It scored 4.38/5 overall. 90% of people surveyed said they would recommend NRMA to a friend.

Full list of 2023 winners

What does NRMA home insurance cover?

NRMA comes with the following policy options:

  • Home buildings
  • Home contents
  • Home building and contents
  • Landlord insurance
  • Single item insurance

Here are some of the main events an NRMA home insurance policy can cover you for.

It comes with a 21-day cooling-off period, which is standard among most insurers. This lets you cancel within 3 weeks of taking out a policy and you won't be charged, unless you make a claim. You'll also need to pay one of the following excesses, depending on what you're claiming for: basic, earthquake and special.

NRMA home insurance features

Check icon

Standard features

If an insured event like a storm, fire or theft occurs, NRMA home insurance can help reimburse you for the following and more:

  • Plants, trees and shrubs
  • Demolishing and removing debris
  • Funeral expenses
  • Keys and locks
  • Locating the cause of damage
  • Meeting building regulations

plus icon

Optional add-ons

NRMA has a fairly extensive range of optional add-ons to choose from. These include the following:

  • Accidental damage
  • Burn out of electric motors – fusion
  • Pet lover's pack
  • Valuable contents – inside your home
  • Portable contents

cross icon


Like all insurers, there are some events you won't be covered for with NRMA. Your NRMA Home Insurance claim will not be paid in the following situations:

  • It is for rust, corrosion, depreciation or wear and tear
  • It is for erosion, tidal wave or mould
  • It is for subsidence or landslide, unless it's the result of an earthquake
  • It is for atmospheric conditions or extreme temperatures
  • It is caused by vermin or insects
  • It is caused by tree roots or tree lopping or felling
  • It is caused by acts of war or terrorism
  • It relates to the lawful seizure or confiscation of your home or contents

Make sure you read the NRMA home insurance PDS for a full list of exclusions. You can also find out more about what home insurance excludes here.

NRMA home insurance complaints

We looked at home insurance complaint data from the Australian Financial Complaints Authority (AFCA) between July 2020 and June 2021. The data breaks down different underwriters and compares their business size to the number of complaints processed.

When comparing insurers, keep in mind that insurers with a larger market share serve more customers, so can potentially get more complaints.

Here's an overview of how NRMA (Insurance Australia Limited) did:

  • Insurance Australia Limited had almost 1,000 complaints but did better than other providers such as AAI Limited. It also was able to resolve a larger percentage of its complaints with its customer directly than others.
  • While it received fewer complaints than AAI Limited, it may not be the best for customer service. QBE Insurance (Australia) Limited received almost half.

Bottom line about NRMA home insurance

NRMA home insurance is good if you want a large insurer that's been around for a long time or if you want single item insurance, but there are insurers that offer bigger sign-up discounts elsewhere.

If you're not yet ready to take out a policy, you can compare other home insurance policies side-by-side here.

Why you can trust Finder's home insurance experts


We're free

You pay the same as buying directly from the home insurer. Better still, we regularly run exclusive deals that you won't find on any other site – plus, our tables make it easy to compare policies.
expert advice

We're experts

We've researched and rated dozens of policies as part of our Finder Awards. We provide unique insights and our in-house experts regularly appear on Sunrise, 7News and SBS News.

We're independent

Unlike other comparison sites, we're not owned by an insurer. That means our opinions are our own and we work with lots of home insurance brands, making it easier for you to find a good deal.

We're here to help

Since 2014, we've helped 150,000+ people find home insurance by explaining your cover options simply and clearly. We'll never ask for your number or email. We're here to help you make a decision.

Frequently asked questions

NRMA home insurance reviews

If you've held or currently hold a NRMA home insurance policy, we'd love to hear from you. Your reviews help other Australians decide if NRMA is right for them. Some reviews are from a survey commissioned by Finder.

More guides on Finder

Ask a Question

You are about to post a question on

  • Do not enter personal information (eg. surname, phone number, bank details) as your question will be made public
  • is a financial comparison and information service, not a bank or product provider
  • We cannot provide you with personal advice or recommendations
  • Your answer might already be waiting – check previous questions below to see if yours has already been asked

Finder only provides general advice and factual information, so consider your own circumstances, or seek advice before you decide to act on our content. By submitting a question, you're accepting our 1. Terms Of Service and 6. Finder Group Privacy & Cookies Policy.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

4 Responses

    Default Gravatar
    MarkDecember 29, 2023

    Would like a quote for house contents , home building and car insurance for two plus roadside assist

    Default Gravatar
    HomeMay 9, 2016

    How do I take out Domestic Workers Compensation Insurance for a one person household with occasional domestic cleaning assistance?

      RichardMay 10, 2016Finder

      Hi Home Owner,

      Thanks for your question. You may contact NRMA Home Insurance directly about the specifics of their cover.

      All the best,

Go to site