We’re reader-supported and may be paid when you visit links to partner sites. We don’t compare all products in the market, but we’re working on it!
- Virgin offers some of the cheapest policies available on Finder, according to our research.
- Virgin was our Top Pick for Flexibility with add-ons including sum insured protection, flood cover, accidental damage, motor burnout, specified items and more.
- Some insurers automatically include a sum insured safeguard (protection from underinsurance). You'll need to pay extra if you want it included with Virgin.
Review by our insurance writer Gary Hunter
Choose from 3 policies with Virgin Money Home Insurance. You can get cover for the building only, contents only or a combination of both for complete peace of mind.
Virgin Money Home Insurance is also one of Finder's Top Picks for Flexibility. The product offers loads of additional extras so you can customise a policy, and leave out the things you don't need.
Compare Virgin Home Insurance benefits and get a quote directly.
What cover options does Virgin Money Home Insurance offer?
Virgin Home Insurance
This Virgin policy is designed to protect your home, fixtures and fittings against a range of insured events. As well as your residential building, Virgin Home Insurance covers things like your garage, patio, permanently wired electrical appliances and more against risks like fire, storm and theft. Up to $20 million of legal liability cover is also included, while you can receive a sizeable discount for purchasing a policy online.
Virgin Home Insurance protects your home, fixtures and fittings, garage, outbuilding, deck, patio and swimming pool against a range of insured events. The list of insured events includes:
- Fire and explosion
- Accidental breakage
- Theft and burglary
- Malicious damage
- Escape of liquid
- Removal of debris
- Alternative accommodation
- $20 million of legal liability cover
Virgin Contents Insurance
If you just want to take out cover for your possessions, Virgin Contents Insurance can help. It covers your furniture, electrical appliances, clothing, carpets, blinds and more against risks like theft, fire, storm damage and impact damage. Optional cover is available for your high-value items and collections, while you can also enjoy cover for your items when they’re away from your insured address. Up to $20 million of legal liability protection is also included.
Under a Virgin Contents Insurance policy, your furniture, electrical appliances, clothing, carpets, blinds and gardening equipment. Insured events include:
- Fire and explosion
- Accidental breakage
- Theft and burglary
- Malicious damage
- Escape of liquid
- Cover is included for insured items when they are away from insured address
- Cover for high-value items and collections is available as an optional extra
- Up to $20 million of legal liability cover is also included.
Virgin Home and Contents
You can combine cover for your castle and all your treasured possessions into one package with a Virgin Home and Contents Insurance policy. You can apply for cover within minutes either over the phone or online and Virgin offers a fast claims handling process.
If you want to take out cover for your home building and your possessions, you can combine the cover of the above policies into a Virgin Home and Contents Insurance policy. With $20 million of legal liability cover, this policy protects you in the case of all the insured events listed above.
Virgin Home and Landlords Insurance
This policy offers all the same cover that a Virgin Home Insurance policy offers, but it includes extra cover features to protect the needs of landlords. It covers you for loss of rent if your home is not fit to be lived in following an insured event, plus it also provides cover for loss or damage to your fixtures and fittings.
This Virgin policy offers all the same cover as the Home Insurance policy listed above. However, it also includes extra benefits to look after the specialised insurance needs of landlords. You are covered for loss of rent if tenants are unable to live in your home following an insured event, while loss or damage to floor coverings, light fittings and window coverings is also covered.
Compare Virgin Home Insurance policies
|Accidental Breakage of Glass, Ceramic & Sanitary Fixtures|
|Contents Away From The Insured Address|
|Escape Of Liquid|
|Lump Sum or Instalment Payments|
|Malicious Damage, Vandalism, Riot or Civil Commotion|
|Mortgage Discharge Costs|
|Open Air Contents Cover|
|Replacement Of Locks|
|Storm & Rainwater Damage|
|Temporary Accommodation Costs|
|Theft or Attempted Theft|
|Unattached Equipment Cover|
|Uninsured Guests' Contents Cover|
|Legal Liability Cover|
|Accidental Damage Cover|
|Motor Burnout Cover|
|Personal Effects Cover|
|Sum Insured Safeguard|
What Virgin exclusions do I need to know about?
Just like any other form of insurance policy, Virgin Home and Contents Insurance features a list of general exclusions. Your claim will not be paid if:
- It is caused by the presence of asbestos at the insured address
- It results from any criminal or illegal act or omission by you, or by someone acting with your consent
- It results from your failure to comply with any law or regulation relating to pool fencing, smoke detectors, pollution, dangerous goods, restricted breeds of dog etc
- It is for loss, damage or liability caused by fines, penalties or court costs
- It is for loss or damage to part of the home which is specifically used for business purposes
- It is for consequential loss
- Your claim is caused by a structural fault, design fault or faulty workmanship
- It is caused by pollution or contamination
- Loss or damage occurred because of your failure to maintain your home or contents in good condition
- It is for loss or damage caused by erosion, vibration, landslide or subsidence. However, ground movement that occurs within 72 hours as a result of an insured event will be covered
- It is for wear and tear, rust, rot, mildew or gradual deterioration
- It is caused by an intentional act by you, your family or someone acting with your consent
- It is for the loss of electronic data
- It is caused by mechanical or electrical breakdown
- Your claim results because of the lawful seizure, repossession or confiscation of any goods or property
- It is for loss or damage caused by tree lopping or felling.
How much will this cost me?
The following factors can all affect the cost of your Virgin Home Insurance premiums:
- The sum insured. The higher the sum insured you nominate for your home and contents, the more you can expect to pay for your cover.
- The location and construction of your home. Homes built from certain materials, for example brick homes, are better equipped to withstand damage than other dwellings. In addition, homes located in areas with high crime levels or where damaging storms are a common occurrence typically cost more to insure.
- Security measures. Security systems and alarms fitted to your home can act to strongly discourage thieves. As a result, you can expect to pay lower premiums.
- Your previous insurance experience. The underwriter will always take into account your previous claims history whenever they assess the risks associated with offering you cover.
- Optional extras. Adding optional extras to your cover, for example accidental damage protection, will come at an additional cost.
What kind of excess am I looking at?
When you make a claim on your Virgin Home Insurance policy, you’ll need to pay an excess. This is the amount that you must contribute towards the overall cost of your claim. Depending on your policy and the type of cover you have, one or more excesses may apply when you make a claim. Consult your certificate of insurance for details of the excesses that apply to your policy.
How to Save on Your Virgin Home Insurance Policy
- Buy online. You can save 30% on your first year's premium when you purchase your policy online.
- Pay a higher excess. If you wish to pay a higher excess when you make a claim, you will enjoy lower insurance premiums in return.
- Bundle your cover. Combine a Home Insurance policy with a Contents Insurance policy to save on the cost of cover.
Making a claim
If you need to make a claim on your Virgin Home and Contents Insurance policy, you'll need to contact them either by the phone by dialing 1800 662 884 or online. You’ll then be guided through the claims process. Alternatively, you can opt to fill out an online claim notification form and then receive a callback to clarify the details of your claim.
The insurer may need to arrange for an assessor to visit you and inspect any damage, while you may also need to provide evidence or documentation to support your claim. Finally, remember that if you have been a victim of theft, burglary or vandalism, it’s also important that you immediately report the matter to police.
FAQs Virgin Home Insurance
More guides on Finder
Handypay Green Loan
A Green Loan from Handypay could help you make your home more energy-efficient. Handypay green loans are available up to $75,000 on terms of up to 10 years.
Victoria floods: How much food spoilage will your home insurance cover?
There’s been over 25,000 power outages across Victoria. Home insurance can reimburse you for the food that’s gone to waste. Find out who here.
TCL 20SE Review: Great display but otherwise unremarkable
If you're after a low-cost mobile with a quality display, the TCL 20SE is appealing, but you'll otherwise be left wanting for app performance, camera quality and battery life.
Today’s ASX top stocks: Moneyme (MME ↑18.8%), Cd Private Equity Fund I (CD1 ↑18.5%)
The 10 biggest movers on the ASX for Tuesday 15 June 2021.
Amazon Prime Day: 60% off fashion deals you’re not going to want to miss
Bargain hunters - get ready to save on Nike, New Balance, Cotton On, Tommy Hilfiger, Calvin Klein and so much more.
Amazon Prime Day home deals to expect: Bose, iRobot and more
From home speakers to robot vacuums, these are the items to watch out for this Prime Day.
Staple items worth a splurge and how you can grab a cheeky 30% off all of them
We've got a cheeky 30% off at THE ICONIC so here are the staple items worth a splurge because the savings are too damn good.
THE ICONIC x Finder: Huge 30% off sale + 5 things to shop right now
THE ICONIC's massive sale is exclusive to Finder members and applies to over 40,000 must-have items.
Ask an Expert