Virgin Home Insurance – Compare cover options and reviews to find the best insurance for your home
Virgin Home Insurance provides affordable, flexible and straightforward cover that can protect your castle against a range of events including fire and explosion, storm, accidental breakage, earthquake and lightning.
Virgin Home Insurance Cover Options
Virgin Home Insurance
This Virgin policy is designed to protect your home, fixtures and fittings against a range of insured events. As well as your residential building, Virgin Home Insurance covers things like your garage, patio, permanently wired electrical appliances and more against risks like fire, storm and theft. Up to $20 million of legal liability cover is also included, while you can receive a sizeable discount for purchasing a policy online.
Virgin Home Insurance protects your home, fixtures and fittings, garage, outbuilding, deck, patio and swimming pool against a range of insured events. The list of insured events includes:
- Fire and explosion
- Accidental breakage
- Theft and burglary
- Malicious damage
- Escape of liquid
- Removal of debris
- Alternative accommodation
- $20 million of legal liability cover
Virgin Contents Insurance
If you just want to take out cover for your possessions, Virgin Contents Insurance can help. It covers your furniture, electrical appliances, clothing, carpets, blinds and more against risks like theft, fire, storm damage and impact damage. Optional cover is available for your high-value items and collections, while you can also enjoy cover for your items when they’re away from your insured address. Up to $20 million of legal liability protection is also included.
Under a Virgin Contents Insurance policy, your furniture, electrical appliances, clothing, carpets, blinds and gardening equipment. Insured events include:
- Fire and explosion
- Accidental breakage
- Theft and burglary
- Malicious damage
- Escape of liquid
- Cover is included for insured items when they are away from insured address
- Cover for high-value items and collections is available as an optional extra
- Up to $20 million of legal liability cover is also included.
Virgin Home and Contents
You can combine cover for your castle and all your treasured possessions into one package with a Virgin Home and Contents Insurance policy. Combining your cover entitles you to a saving of 25% and it allows you to cover your home and possessions against all the insured events listed above. You can apply for cover within minutes either over the phone or online and Virgin offers a fast claims handling process.
If you want to take out cover for your home building and your possessions, you can combine the cover of the above policies into a Virgin Home and Contents Insurance policy. With $20 million of legal liability cover, this policy protects you in the case of all the insured events listed above. It also allows you to enjoy a saving of 25% off the cost of your premiums.
Virgin Home and Landlords Insurance
This policy offers all the same cover that a Virgin Home Insurance policy offers, but it includes extra cover features to protect the needs of landlords. It covers you for loss of rent if your home is not fit to be lived in following an insured event, plus it also provides cover for loss or damage to your fixtures and fittings.
This Virgin policy offers all the same cover as the Home Insurance policy listed above. However, it also includes extra benefits to look after the specialised insurance needs of landlords. You are covered for loss of rent if tenants are unable to live in your home following an insured event, while loss or damage to floor coverings, light fittings and window coverings is also covered.
|Compare Policy Benefits||Home||Contents|
|Accidental Breakage of Glass, Ceramic & Sanitary Fixtures||yes||yes|
|Contents Away From The Insured Address||no||yes|
|Credit Card Cover Up To $1000||no||yes|
|Escape Of Liquid||yes||yes|
|Lump Sum or Instalment Payments||yes||yes|
|Malicious Damage, Vandalism, Riot or Civil Commotion||yes||yes|
|Mortgage Discharge Costs||yes||no|
|Open Air Contents Cover - Contents In The Open At The Insured Address||no||yes|
|Replacement Of Locks Up To $500||no||yes|
|Storm & Rainwater Damage||yes||yes|
|Temporary Accommodation Costs||yes||yes|
|Theft or Attempted Theft||yes||yes|
|Unattached Equipment Cover Up To $500||no||yes|
|Uninsured Guests' Contents Cover Up To $500||no||yes|
|Up to $20 Million Legal Liability Cover||yes||yes|
|Accidental Damage Cover||yes||yes|
|Choice Of Excess Options||yes||yes|
|Motor Burnout Cover||yes||yes|
|Personal Effects Cover||no||yes|
|Sum Insured Safeguard||yes||no|
What Virgin exclusions do I need to know about?
Just like any other form of insurance policy, Virgin Home and Contents Insurance features a list of general exclusions. Your claim will not be paid if:
- It is caused by the presence of asbestos at the insured address
- It results from any criminal or illegal act or omission by you, or by someone acting with your consent
- It results from your failure to comply with any law or regulation relating to pool fencing, smoke detectors, pollution, dangerous goods, restricted breeds of dog etc
- It is for loss, damage or liability caused by fines, penalties or court costs
- It is for loss or damage to part of the home which is specifically used for business purposes
- It is for consequential loss
- Your claim is caused by a structural fault, design fault or faulty workmanship
- It is caused by pollution or contamination
- Loss or damage occurred because of your failure to maintain your home or contents in good condition
- It is for loss or damage caused by erosion, vibration, landslide or subsidence. However, ground movement that occurs within 72 hours as a result of an insured event will be covered
- It is for wear and tear, rust, rot, mildew or gradual deterioration
- It is caused by an intentional act by you, your family or someone acting with your consent
- It is for the loss of electronic data
- It is caused by mechanical or electrical breakdown
- Your claim results because of the lawful seizure, repossession or confiscation of any goods or property
- It is for loss or damage caused by tree lopping or felling.
How much will this cost me?
The following factors can all affect the cost of your Virgin Home Insurance premiums:
- The sum insured. The higher the sum insured you nominate for your home and contents, the more you can expect to pay for your cover.
- The location and construction of your home. Homes built from certain materials, for example brick homes, are better equipped to withstand damage than other dwellings. In addition, homes located in areas with high crime levels or where damaging storms are a common occurrence typically cost more to insure.
- Security measures. Security systems and alarms fitted to your home can act to strongly discourage thieves. As a result, you can expect to pay lower premiums.
- Your previous insurance experience. The underwriter will always take into account your previous claims history whenever they assess the risks associated with offering you cover.
- Optional extras. Adding optional extras to your cover, for example accidental damage protection, will come at an additional cost.
How does excess Virgin Insurance?
When you make a claim on your Virgin Home Insurance policy, you’ll need to pay an excess. This is the amount that you must contribute towards the overall cost of your claim. Depending on your policy and the type of cover you have, one or more excesses may apply when you make a claim. Consult your certificate of insurance for details of the excesses that apply to your policy.Back to top
How to Save on Your Virgin Home Insurance Policy
- Buy online. You can save up to 25% off the cost of Virgin Home Home and Contents Insurance when you purchase your policy online.
- Pay a higher excess. If you wish to pay a higher excess when you make a claim, you will enjoy cheaper insurance premiums in return.
- Bundle your cover. Combine a Home Insurance policy with a Contents Insurance policy to save on the cost of cover.
Making a claim
If you need to make a claim on your Virgin Home and Contents Insurance policy, you'll need to contact them either by the phone or online. You’ll then be guided through the fast and straightforward claims process. Alternatively, you can opt to fill out an online claim notification form and then receive a callback to clarify the details of your claim.
The insurer may need to arrange for an assessor to visit you and inspect any damage, while you may also need to provide evidence or documentation to support your claim. Finally, remember that if you have been a victim of theft, burglary or vandalism, it’s also important that you immediately report the matter to police.Back to top
FAQs Virgin Home Insurance
Q. How can I purchase home insurance cover?
- A. You can purchase a policy from Virgin online or over the phone. However, keep in mind that you can take advantage of a sizable discount when you buy cover online.
Q. What optional covers can I add to my policy?
- A. Virgin provides the following cover options for an additional cost: motor burnout, accidental damage, personal effects cover (only available with Contents Insurance) and sum insured safeguard (only available with Home Insurance.
Q. What is the sum insured safeguard option?
- A. If you have Home Insurance and you’re happy to pay an additional premium, your sum insured will be extended by 25% if your nominated sum insured is not sufficient to cover the cost of rebuilding your home.
Q. Who underwrites the policy?
- A. Virgin Home and Contents Insurance policies are underwritten by Auto and General Services Pty Ltd.
Q. What does the Motor Burnout option do?
- A. Motor Burnout covers for damage or loss to electric motors during the period of insurance if:
- The burnout is caused by power surge
- The motor is burned out at the home.
Q. Should I buy online?
- A. Buying online can save you both time and money, with online being approximately 40% than applying via the phone and a 10% for purchasing your policy online.
Compare home insurance policies securely online
Virgin Home Insurance policies provide essential financial protection for Australian homeowners, but don’t forget to compare policy options before choosing your cover. This is the way to ensure that you find the right type and level of cover for your home and contents.
* The offers compared on this page are chosen from a range of products finder.com.au has access to track details from and is not representative of all the products available in the market. Products are displayed in no particular order or ranking. The use of terms 'Best' and 'Top' are not product ratings and are subject to our disclaimer. You should consider seeking independent financial advice and consider your personal financial circumstances when comparing products.