Australian Seniors Home Insurance

Get home insurance with Australian Seniors and choose between basic and comprehensive cover. Save up to 30% when you buy combined home & contents online.


Fact checked
Australian Seniors Home Insurance

We’re reader-supported and may be paid when you visit links to partner sites. We don’t compare all products in the market, but we’re working on it!

Australian Seniors Insurance Agency has home and contents insurance products for people who only need basic cover and those who want comprehensive cover. Both policies include $20 million of legal liability cover and discounts if you buy online. Both policies are available for all Australian homeowners.

This review will outline the features, benefits and exclusions of Australian Seniors' home insurance policies and answer some common questions about home insurance.

We don't currently have this brand on our panel. But don't fret! You can head to the Australian Seniors website or compare a bunch of other home insurance companies with finder.

Compare home insurance fast

Home insurance options with Australian Seniors

Australian Seniors Insurance Agency provides two levels of home and contents insurance: Essential Cover and Top Cover.

Essential Cover

This policy provides a basic level of cover for your building and contents against theft, fire, earthquakes, lightning, storms, impact, flood, leaking and a wide range of other common risks. You also get $20 million of legal liability cover to help you pay compensation for an accident caused by your negligence that causes death or bodily injury to another person or loss or damage to another person’s property.

Top Cover

Australian Seniors Insurance Agency’s Top Cover home and contents insurance policy provides comprehensive cover for all the same risks as the Essential Cover policy, including $20 million legal liability cover. However, it also adds the extra security of accidental damage cover and higher benefit limits.

Levels of cover with Australian Seniors

Top Cover

  • Covers fire, earthquakes, storms, rainwater, flood, lightning, malicious damage, theft, impact and sudden bursting of liquids
  • Higher benefit limits than Essential Cover
  • Accidental damage cover
  • Replacement of locks up to $1000 in an accepted theft claim
  • Cover for home office contents
  • $20 million legal liability cover
  • Save up to 30% when you buy combined Home & Contents policy online
  • Choose your excess amount

Essential Cover

  • Covers fire, earthquakes, storms, rainwater, flood, lightning, malicious damage, theft, impact and sudden bursting of liquids
  • $20 million legal liability cover
  • Accidental glass breakage of fixed building glass
  • Necessary emergency accommodation costs in an accepted claim
  • Save up to 30% when you buy Home & Contents policy online
  • Choose your excess amount

General exclusions

Your Australian Seniors home insurance claim will not be paid in the following situations:

  • It is caused by a bushfire, a storm, a flood or rainwater which occurs within the first 72 hours of cover.
  • Your building is unoccupied for a period of more than 90 consecutive days.
  • It is caused by actions of the sea, including high tides.
  • It is due to gradual deterioration, such as wear and tear, rust, corrosion or depreciation.
  • It arises due to mould or mildew, wet or dry rot, rising damp or dampness.
  • It arises due to inherent defects, structural faults or faulty workmanship or design.
  • You fail to maintain your property in good repair.
  • It is caused by insects, birds, vermin or wildlife.
  • It is for erosion, subsidence, landslide, mudslide, settling, collapse, or earth shrinkage and expansion that is not directly caused by or does not occur within 72 hours of an earthquake, storm, rainwater or flood.
  • It is caused by tree roots, tree felling or lopping.
  • It is caused by any deliberate action by you, someone else living at the site, or other people who have entered with your consent.
  • It arises due to corruption of any electronic data, files or software.
  • It arises due to the mechanical, electrical or electronic failure of an item.
  • It is for building work such as an extension or renovation.
  • It is for any loss of profit or for any consequential loss.
  • It arises because you fail to comply with any commonwealth, state, territory or local government law.
  • It arises due to the lawful seizure or confiscation of the insured property.

Who is eligible for home insurance with Australian Seniors?

Australian Seniors home and contents insurance policies are available to all Australian homeowners. There are certain eligibility requirements that need to be met to qualify for cover, so make sure to read the PDS closely so you can make an informed decision about whether this is the right policy for you.

Making a claim

Australian Seniors Insurance Agency aims to make it as quick and simple as possible to file a claim. You will need to notify the police immediately when any theft or malicious damage occurs, and you should inform the insurer as soon as possible of any event that could lead to a claim. You can do this by phoning Australian Seniors Insurance Agency on 13 43 43 .

It’s also important to follow a few other simple steps:

  • Take reasonable precautions to prevent any further loss, damage or liability.
  • Make sure that the insurer approves any permanent repairs before you have them done.
  • Make receipts or valuations for covered items available to the insurer’s claims department.
  • Supply as quickly as possible any other information or documentation the insurer requests.

You can also go online if you need to make a claim.

What is the excess with Australian Seniors?

An excess is the amount of money you are required to contribute towards a claim. There are different excesses that may apply depending on the type of cover you have chosen and what your claim relates to. You also have the freedom to choose different excesses for your home and contents.

If you make a claim for an earthquake or flood, you will need to pay the higher of your selected basic excesses or a fixed excess of $500 for each event. If you take out an Australian Seniors landlords home insurance policy, any claims under the "Malicious acts and theft" section of cover will require you to pay the higher of the basic excesses or a fixed excess of $400.


Ask an Expert

You are about to post a question on

  • Do not enter personal information (eg. surname, phone number, bank details) as your question will be made public
  • is a financial comparison and information service, not a bank or product provider
  • We cannot provide you with personal advice or recommendations
  • Your answer might already be waiting – check previous questions below to see if yours has already been asked

Finder only provides general advice and factual information, so consider your own circumstances, or seek advice before you decide to act on our content. By submitting a question, you're accepting our Terms of Use, Disclaimer & Privacy Policy and Privacy & Cookies Policy.

2 Responses

    Default Gravatar
    JoySeptember 3, 2017

    Are there any home and contents insurance companies that also cover common property insurance as well. Thanks

      Avatarfinder Customer Care
      RenchSeptember 3, 2017Staff

      Hi Joy,

      Thanks for your inquiry. Please note that we are not affiliated with any company we feature on our site and so we can only offer you general advice.

      You can get helpful info and compare your options on this page for home and contents insurances. Some also cover common property insurance.

      You may click on the name of your preferred insurer to see more details then you can click on the ‘Go to Site’ button to submit an online application or request for a quote.


Go to site