Budget Direct Home Insurance
Check out our Budget Direct Home Insurance Review. Buy a policy and save up to 30% on your premium.
We’re reader-supported and may be paid when you visit links to partner sites. We don’t compare all products in the market, but we’re working on it!
Budget Direct is one of Australia's biggest insurance brands, underwritten by Auto & General Insurance. Budget Direct's home insurance policy earned itself a place in Finder's Top Picks for flexibility by offering loads of optional extras.
This means you can get a policy that's tailored to your home and not pay for benefits that you don't need.
- Fire, storm & theft cover
- Rebuilding cover
- Underinsurance protection optional
- Lodge a claim online 24/7
Compare the benefits of Budget Direct Home Insurance and get a quote
Review additional policy benefits
Still not sure which policy to choose? Review policy benefits of the 3 policy types and see which ones are most important to you and your home.
|Benefit||Home & Contents||Home Insurance||Contents Insurance|
|Accidental breakage of glass, ceramic & sanitary fixtures|
|Contents while moving address|
|Debris removal and extra costs of rebuilding|
|Escape Of liquid|
|Funeral expenses up to $7,000|
|Lump sum or instalment payments|
|Malicious damage, vandalism, riot or civil commotion|
|Mortgage discharge costs|
|Open air contents cover - contents in the open at the insured address|
|Replacement of locks up to $1,000|
|Storm & rainwater damage|
|Temporary accommodation costs|
|Theft or attempted theft|
|Unattached equipment cover up to $500|
|Uninsured guests' contents cover up to $500|
|Up to $20 million legal liability cover|
|Accidental damage cover|
|Landlord - tenant default cover|
|Landlord - theft and malicious damage by tenant cover|
|Motor burnout cover|
|Personal effects cover|
|Sum insured safeguard|
What exclusions do I need to know about?
Your Budget Direct Home Insurance claim will not be paid if:
- It is caused by flood (unless an optional benefit is purchased)
- High tide or any other action of the sea
- It results from underground water seepage or pressure
- It is caused by the presence of asbestos
- It results from you performing any criminal or illegal act or omission
- It results from you failing to comply with any laws or regulations concerning things such as pool fencing, emissions, dangerous goods, assault and malicious damage
- It is for loss or damage to any part of the home that is specifically used for business purposes
- It is for consequential loss of any kind
- It is caused by any biological, chemical or poisonous pollutant or contaminant
- It results from a design fault, structural defect or faulty workmanship that you knew about but failed to fix
- It arises because you failed to maintain your home or contents in good condition
- It is for mechanical or electrical breakdown
- It is caused by erosion, landslide or subsidence. However, earth movement that occurs within 72 hours and as a direct result of earthquake, explosion or storm or rainwater will be covered
- It is for rust, corrosion, rot, mould, mildew or wear and tear
- It results from an intentional act by you or by someone acting with your consent
- It is for the cost of recovering, reinstalling or replacing electronic data
- It is for loss or damage to your home or contents caused by the lawful seizure, repossession or confiscation of anything
- It is caused by tree lopping or felling or by the roots of trees, shrubs or plants
- It is caused by loss or damage that occurs when your home has been unoccupied for more than 60 consecutive days
- It results from loss or damage caused by insects, birds, vermin or rodents.
How much is this going to cost me?
A number of factors can influence the cost of your Budget Direct Home Insurance premium, including:
- The sum insured you select. The higher the amount you want to cover your home and/or contents for, the more expensive your premiums will be.
- The location and construction of your home. If your home is located in a high-crime area or a region prone to severe storms, this will be reflected in the cost of your insurance. Certain homes, for example those constructed of brick, are also more likely to withstand damage.
- The security devices fitted. If you have an alarm system fitted to your home to deter thieves, you can expect to save on your insurance cover.
- Your previous claims history. An insurer will always take your previous insurance experience into account when assessing the level of risk you pose.
- The optional extras you select. Optional extras, for example, accidental damage cover, can be included in your policy for an additional cost.
What does excess mean?
In the insurance world, an excess is the amount you have to pay to contribute towards the cost of a claim. Depending on the cover you have in place, one or more excesses may apply to your Budget Direct Home Insurance policy. For example, you may have selected a higher excess in order to reduce your premium. In any case, the excesses that apply to your individual policy will be listed on your certificate of insurance.
Any tips for saving on my Budget Direct home insurance policy?
- Choose a higher excess. If you can afford to pay a higher excess in the event of a claim, you can select a higher excess in return for a lower premium.
- Buy online. Buy your policy online and you can save 15% on the cost of your Budget Direct Home Insurance.
- Bundle your cover. Taking out a Home & Contents Insurance policy from Budget Direct Home Insurance and purchasing your policy online means you can enjoy savings of 30%.
- Use online calculators. Budget Direct Home Insurance offers some extremely handy online calculators to help you determine the amount of cover you need. The Express Building Calculator, Full Building Calculator and Contents Calculator can help you estimate just how much cover you need and help prevent problems of over - or under-insurance.
How do I make a claim with Budget Direct?
If your home or contents suffer loss or damage, or if an incident occurs which may lead to a claim, there are certain steps you will need to follow. First, take all reasonable steps to prevent any further loss or damage occurring. Any incidents involving theft or malicious damage should also be reported to the police.
Next, contact the underwriter as soon as possible to provide the full details of your claim. If asked, you’ll need to provide evidence of the value or your ownership of the items or property that have been lost, stolen or damaged. You’ll need to give the underwriter the opportunity to inspect the damaged goods or property and will have to supply any other information or documentation they request in order to process your claim.
You can call them on 1800 069 336 for more information on how to make a claim.
FAQs about Budget Direct
More guides on Finder
Finder Daily Deals: The 5 best online deals in Australia today
Today's best Finder Daily deals include: 25% off Fitbit fitness trackers, 20% off everything at Lenovo, $200 off Ecovacs Deebot robovacs.
Best shower heads in Australia
We read hundreds of customer reviews to find the best shower heads you can buy online and in store in Australia.
Aspera R40 Review: Tough, cheap and familiar
The Aspera R40 takes the tough feature phone challenge laid down by the Nokia 800 Tough and delivers a very similar product at a much cheaper price point.
Best screwdriver sets in Australia
From the best-insulated kit to the top mini model, these are the seven best screwdriver sets available online.
Best bassinets in Australia
These are the 8 best bassinets you can buy right now in Australia.
Finder’s RBA Cash Rate Survey: 60% of experts blame BNPL for drop in credit cards
Credit cards are being used less and experts say Buy Now Pay Later services such as Afterpay and Zip are to blame, according to new research from Finder. In this month's Finder RBA Cash Rate Survey™, 39 experts and economists weighed in on future cash rate moves and other issues related to the state of the Australian economy.
Finder’s RBA Cash Rate Survey: 74% of experts fear first home buyers will be pushed out of market
Soaring property prices and stamp duty fees have experts fearing that first home buyers may be soon pushed out of the market.
Best NAS drives in Australia
Upgrade your home storage with one of the best NAS devices available on store shelves here in Australia.
Bendigo Invest Direct share trading review
Your in-depth review of the Bendigo Invest Direct share trading platform and what it offers for Aussie investors.
Ask an Expert