Tired of being capped? Unlimited broadband plans provide you with more data, so you can stream, search and surf as much as you want.
Why should you choose an unlimited plan?
Broadband plans let you browse the internet by providing an allocation of data to use for each month. Plan sizes range from 20GB, 200GB, 500GB, 1000GB to unlimited. Unlimited plans provide the following advantages:
- Browse at the standard plan speed for the entire billing period without exceeding your monthly quota.
- Avoid having your speed limited for the remainder of the billing period if you exceed your monthly quota.
- No peak and off-peak browsing times. Receive unlimited download limits 24/7.
- Peace of mind with a set billing amount every month.
What are the main features to compare for unlimited plans?
How fast will my unlimited plan be?
Your internet speed will depend on the provider you apply with, the type of connection you have and the infrastructure of the area. As a result it is important to check the available speed and providers for your home address. Here are the factors that will affect the speed of your new internet plan:
- Type of internet connection
The type of technology and network access type is a key factor in determining your internet speed. The types of connections and considerations include:
- ADSL/ ADSL2+. If you are considering an ADSL/ ADSL2+ plan, make sure you consider how far your house is from the exchange. The further your house is from the exchange, the slower your speed will be.
- Cable. This type of connection uses the coaxial cables laid by Telstra and Optus in the 1990s to deliver high speed internet to premises within the network's footprint.
- NBN. NBN overcomes the challenges faced by older technologies by feeding fibre straight to the premises (FTTP), building or basement (FTTB) or node (FTTN). For remote Australians, NBN connections are also available as fixed wireless or satellite connections, though there are limitations on speed that these technologies cannot overcome.
- Network congestion
All network connection types mentioned above can experience slower download speeds depending on the number of people downloading/accessing the internet. The busiest times for internet browsing in Australia are usually between 7-11pm.
- Modem and equipment
Your connection speed could be limited if your modem is out-of-date or the performance of your computer is being affected. If you are using an old modem, you can purchase a new one from a provider branch or electronics store. The performance of your computer can be influenced by the browser you are using and whether any viruses/ malware are affecting your computer's health. If your current browser is taking a while to load, try switching browsers. You can ensure your computer is free of viruses and malware by using antivirus software.
- Wi-Fi connection
While Wi-Fi connections are convenient they can be slower than if you are physically connected to the modem with an ethernet cable. Wi-Fi connections can also be affected by the thickness of walls, how far you are from the modem and how many other users are using the connection.
- Location of the server
If you are downloading content from overseas, the speed can be lower than downloads from a server in Australia.
Internet Speeds in Australia
|Connection type||Internet speed|
|Cable (Base Plan)|
|Cable (Speed Boost)|
|nbn™ Boost Plus|
|nbn™ Boost Max|
Providers usually offer 24-month, 12-month or month-to-month contracts. You can expect perks like an included modem or Pay TV subscription if you sign up to a longer term plan. Whereas, a month-to-month plan allows you to cancel any time without any additional exit fees, though you will usually have to pay a higher up front cost with these plans.
The price of unlimited plans can range from $29.95 to $120 a month depending on contract length, NBN speed and additional benefits. Some higher priced options include entertainment and streaming services, like Foxtel, Fetch TV or unmetered Netflix.
Cheapest Unlimited broadband plans in Australia
|Broadband plan||Speed||Monthly cost|
Barefoot Metro ADSL Ultra
TPG FTTB Standard 1 Month Unlimited
Spintel Urban Unlimited
To ensure that you get the best deal available, look out for the following plan extras to sweeten your unlimited broadband deal:
- Streaming services e.g. Netflix, Stan
- Paid TV packages e.g. Fetch, Foxtel
- Sports TV packages
- Free modem
- Discounts off mobile plan prices
- Home phone included
For more broadband news, deals and offers, follow and subscribe below
Latest broadband news
Welcome to Finder to the Node, a weekly column wrapping up all the broadband news for the past week in Australia ranging from FTTN modems to broadband speeds. Read more…
If you try and access the NBN through an incompatible modem, your port could be locked, leaving you without Internet access. Read more…
If you've recently connected to the NBN, we've reviewed 17 FTTN-compatible NBN routers to discover the ones worth considering. Read more…
Linksys' Velop router can deliver exceptional home internet speeds even in difficult building locations, but you pay a serious price for the privilege. Read more…
But rather less than half of us have actually signed up. Read more…
Doubling your NBN speeds can get you up to 200Mbps download and 80Mbps upload speeds, find out how. Read more…