ALDIMobile offers a range of competitively-priced prepaid mobile plans.
Discount supermarket chain ALDI operates its own Mobile Virtual Network Operator (MVNO) for mobile call, text and data services in Australia under the ALDIMobile brand. It utilised parts of Telstra's 3G and 4G networks, which means in practice that it has a slightly smaller coverage footprint than the full Telstra network, which you're more likely to notice if you travel to quite remote regional areas than anywhere else.
It also means that while it offers 4G data services, they're not quite up to the full speed of the Telstra 4GX network. However, in return for those slight limitations, ALDIMobile offers access to the general Telstra network at greatly reduced overall prices.
ALDIMobile Value Pack plans
ALDIMobile's primary prepaid SIM-only plans are sold as its "Value Pack" plans, priced by the quantity of included data, and then the included international call minutes available at each price tier.
All of ALDIMobile's Value Packs include unlimited standard national calls and texts, as well as a data inclusion, and all but the base level S plan include some quantity of international calling inclusion as well. Here's how the baseline pricing for ALDIMobile's plans runs:
- ALDIMobile Value Pack S Plan: Unlimited calls and texts, 1.5GB data, 30 day expiry, $15
- ALDIMobile Value Pack L Plan: Unlimited calls and texts, 4GB data, 100 calling minutes to 50 countries, 30-day expiry, $25
- ALDIMobile Value Pack XL Plan: Unlimited calls and texts, 10GB data, unlimited calling minutes to 15 countries, 30-day expiry, $35
- ALDIMobile Value Pack XXL Plan: Unlimited calls and texts, 20GB data, unlimited calling minutes to 15 countries, 30-day expiry, $45
- ALDIMobile Value Pack Jumbo Plan: Unlimited calls and texts, 30GB data, unlimited calling minutes to 15 countries, 30-day expiry, $55
ALDIMobile frequently offers special pricing or bonus data deals on its plans, so it's worth comparing the latest deals:
ALDIMobile Pay As You Go plans
ALDIMobile operates a Pay As You Go Prepaid plan with exceptional expiry, given that any recharge has a full 365 days of expiry, presuming you don't use your credit before your expiry period is up.
What this means is that for as little as $5, you can have a full year's phone service that people can call or text you on, which is quite remarkable value if data isn't a concern.
You'll only use up that credit if you make calls, send text messages or use data at the following rates:
- ALDIMobile Pay As You Go Plan: Calls 12c per minute
- ALDIMobile Pay As You Go Plan: SMS 12c each
- ALDIMobile Pay As You Go Plan: MMS 35c each
- ALDIMobile Pay As You Go Plan: Data 5c per MB
How does ALDIMobile compare?
ALDIMobile's most obvious competitors in one sense could be the other "supermarket" brand telcos, because you could alternatively pay for mobile service from Woolworths Mobile or Coles Mobile, although each offers a slightly different prepaid mobile story. Here's how their plans compare:
ALDIMobile's Pay As You Go is one of only a handful of long-expiry, low-cost PAYG style plans with Amaysim's PAYG Plan as the most obvious competitor:
ALDIMobile's Value Pack Plans can offer solid value especially if you want access to Telstra's networks (or at least parts of its 3G/4G networks), but there are plenty of other choices. At the XL Value Pack plan pricing of $35 per recharge, here's what you could get from other providers:Back to top
Why should you consider ALDIMobile?
ALDIMobile is one of the highest value providers operating on the Telstra Wholesale network, and that gives it a lot of appeal if you're in an area best served by Telstra's mobile network.
Its PAYG plan could be a very good match for folks who want a phone as a contact point rather than something that they use for outbound calls. If you're paying for a phone service for your kids, for example, you could disable data on their phones and get quite a lot of long-term value out of a single low-value recharge.
ALDIMobile doesn't offer a lot of additional extras beyond the included international calling minutes on every Value Pack plan except the S plan. That covers a quantity of calling minutes to 50 selected countries.
Specifically, you can use your calling minutes to contact mobile and landline numbers in Bangladesh, Belgium, Brazil, Canada, Chile, China, Cyprus, Denmark, France, Germany, Greece, Guam, Hong Kong, Hungary, India, Indonesia, Ireland, Israel, Italy, Japan, Malaysia, Malta, the Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Pakistan, Romania, Singapore, South Africa and South Korea.
Additionally, calling minutes can be used to reach landline numbers only in Andorra, Argentina, Bulgaria, French Guiana, Iceland, Luxembourg, Mexico, Peru, Poland, Portugal, Puerto Rico, Slovakia, Switzerland, Taiwan, Thailand and Turkey. Calls made to mobile numbers in these destinations will come out of any existing PAYG credit you may have.
ALDImobile prepaid recharge options
ALDImobile prepaid customers can enjoy lengthy credit expiry periods, but inevitably the time will come when you need to recharge. Thankfully, this is quite simple with a variety of methods from which you can choose:
- Recharge online: You can manage your usage and recharge your credit online through ALDImobile's online MyALDImobile portal. From there you can set up automatic recharges, or recharge manually with your credit card.
- Recharge with the ALDImobile app: ALDImobile's app allows you to easily see your credit and current prepaid mobile plan, as well as apply recharges. It's available free of charge for iOS (download here) and Android (download here) platforms.
- With a voucher: ALDImobile recharge vouchers are available at ALDI supermarkets. Once you've purchased your recharge voucher, it can be applied to your account through ALDImobile's recharge voucher portal.
How to contact ALDImobile
|Phone||1300 989 000|
|Calls||Mon - Wed: 8.30am to 9.30pm|
Thu - Fri: 8.30am to 11pm
Sat - Sun: 8.30am to 8.30pm