Compare Southern Phone's standalone SIM-only plans as well as its contract phone offerings.
Is Southern Phone right for me?
- What does Southern Phone offer? Southern Phone offers postpaid SIM-only plans on both the Telstra and Optus mobile networks, as well as a small range of handset plans on the same networks. Despite the name, Southern Phone also deals in broadband plans including NBN, ADSL and mobile broadband services.
- Product highlights: Support for both Optus' and Telstra's mobile networks, solid value on 12-month plans.
- Watch out for: Southern Phone's Orange plans are considerably more expensive than its Green plans due to their use of the Telstra network. Compare your options before signing up to make sure you're getting the best deal possible.
Southern Phone Green plans
Southern Phone's Green plans explained
Southern Phone's Green plans operate on a postpaid basis with coverage handled by the Optus 3G and 4G networks. They're available on both month-to-month and 12-month contracts, with the latter option packing in more data for the same price. All Green plans regardless of contract length include unlimited standard calls and texts, with pricing shaking out as follows:
12-month Green plans
- Southern Phone Green 12: Unlimited calls and texts, 1GB data, $12
- Southern Phone Green 22: Unlimited calls and texts, 7GB data, $22
- Southern Phone Green 35: Unlimited calls and texts, 18GB data, $35
- Southern Phone Green 50: Unlimited calls and texts, 23GB data, $50
Month-to-month Green plans
- Southern Phone Green 12: Unlimited calls and texts, 500MB data, $12
- Southern Phone Green 22: Unlimited calls and texts, 3GB data, $22
- Southern Phone Green 35: Unlimited calls and texts, 10GB data, $35
- Southern Phone Green 50: Unlimited calls and texts, 15GB data, $50
Southern Phone Orange plans
Southern Phone's Orange plans explained
Southern Phone also offers SIM-only plans on parts of the Telstra 3G and 4G networks. These Orange plans are only available on a month-to-month basis and they're pricier than their Green counterparts despite including less data per month. That's a typical trade-off for the added coverage afforded by Telstra's infrastructure.
Here's the base pricing for Southern Phone's Orange plans:
- Southern Phone Orange 15: Unlimited calls and texts, 1GB data, $15
- Southern Phone Orange 30: Unlimited calls and texts, 5GB data, $30
- Southern Phone Orange 45: Unlimited calls and texts, 15GB data, $45
- Southern Phone Orange 60: Unlimited calls and texts, 30GB data, $60
Southern Phone contract plans
Southern Phone's contract plans explained
Southern Phone also offers a range of handset contract plans for folks who want a new phone as well as a new plan. These plans are focused primarily on affordable feature phones and budget smartphones, but you can also find a few premium smartphones up for grabs, too.
These contract plans pair Southern Phone's regular Green or Orange plans with a 24-month handset contract. Handset repayments will vary depending on your handset choice; for example, the table above shows what you'd pay for a Samsung Galaxy S9 or S9+ on Southern Phone's contract plans.
How does Southern Phone compare?
- Greater coverage thanks to support for both Optus and Telstra networks
- 12-month Green plans represent solid value for money
- Month-to-month plans don't stand up as well against the competition
Southern Phone's plans tell two different stories, depending on whether you need access to the Telstra network or wish to use the Optus 4G network. With Optus, you'll get substantially more data with each plan tier, but that's mitigated by the fact that if you don't have good Optus coverage, it's not going to do you much good.
Why should you consider Southern Phone?
Southern Phone offers flexibility in carrier terms, although you can't switch between Optus and Telstra without fundamentally changing your plan on a month-by-month basis. It's also one of only a few carriers to offer simple feature phones on contract terms if you're not keen on having a smartphone and just require simple mobile phone services.
How to contact Southern Phone
|Phone||13 14 64|
|Call centre||8am to 8pm, Monday to Sunday|
|Southern Phone's Facebook page|