On the back of announcing the Telstra Xbox All Access deal, the telecommunications giant targets gamers for 2020. Read more…
Telstra mobile plans
Telstra is Australia's largest mobile provider, with a variety of contract, prepaid or SIM-only plans to suit practically everybody.
Is Telstra right for me?
- What does Telstra offer? Prepaid & SIM-only services, contract phone plans and a wide range of broadband services.
- Product highlights: The size of Telstra's mobile network has long been its major selling point. Additionally, its sheer breadth of offerings are top-notch.
- Watch out for: Telstra's plans generally cost more when measured against other provider's inclusions. Its branding and market position means it can sometimes afford to be less competitive.
Telstra Mobile prepaid & SIM-only plans
Here's how all of Telstra's current prepaid & SIM-only offers and deals compare:
Telstra SIM-only business plansBack to top
Telstra Mobile contract plans
For many Australians, a mobile plan is one that comes with a handset, and Telstra has no shortage of handsets you can pick from. The latest and greatest handsets nearly always land at the carrier as soon as they're available in Australia.
Notably, Telstra has been the carrier of choice for Google and its in-house Pixel phones for the past couple of years, including 2017's Google Pixel 2 and Google Pixel 2 XL. But it's not just an Android house, with Apple's popular iPhone XS and iPhone 8 Plus also available.
For comparison, here's Telstra's current plan pricing on the top-end 64GB Apple iPhone XS:Back to top
How does Telstra Mobile compare?
Telstra's market positioning is one of being a premium provider, with premium services and pricing to match. That means in a straight line comparison, it's often just a touch more expensive than its direct competitors, Vodafone and Optus, in matters such as contract plans.
Telstra's positioning on this is that additional features such as free streaming of AFL, NRL and Netball, plus access to the Telstra Air network, give its plans additional value above its competitors.
Why should you consider Telstra Mobile?
For many Australians, Telstra represents a trusted and known brand in the mobile space with a premium pedigree for service quality. It has the widest overall footprint of any mobile 4G or 3G provider, and while that's not 100% of the Australian landmass, it's still much larger and wider than its competitors if you do travel to the more remote corners of our country.
Telstra charges a premium price, but it backs that up with a lot of extra features.
Telstra prepaid recharge options
- Online at m.telstra.com: If you've got your prepaid phone to hand, you can access Telstra's web portal at any time with no data cost. From there, you can access your credit balance and recharge via credit/debit card, Visa Checkout, PayPal or CreditMe2U services.
- Online from your desktop: The same interface that you can use at Telstra's mobile portal is also open to you from your computer's web browser, although because it won't be able to detect your mobile automatically, you will have to register for a Telstra ID, or link your Facebook ID with your Telstra account to manage and recharge your prepaid service.
- Via Telstra's 24/7 app: Telstra's mobile app for Android or iOS provides you with an easy way to check your prepaid balance. If you have other Telstra services you can log in with your Telstra ID, but if you're using your mobile device directly and you're not on a Wi-Fi connection, it can detect your SIM and service status, as well as letting you recharge your service. The Telstra 24/7 app is available free of charge for iOS (you can download it here), Android (download here), Windows Phone 8 (download here) or BlackBerry 10 handsets (download here).
- Via Credit Card/PayPal: Telstra supports payments via Visa, Mastercard, Diners Club, American Express or PayPal to recharge mobile services if that's your payment gateway of choice, but you will have to go through Telstra's prepaid payment gateway to avail yourself of the service. You can recharge your own mobile service, or the service of any other Telstra prepaid mobile this way.
- Via voucher: You can opt to purchase recharge vouchers at most supermarkets and other mass-market retailers, which you then apply to your mobile service through the Telstra 24/7 App or mobile web portal.
- By phone: If you'd rather use your phone to recharge, you can access recharge services by dialing 125 888 from your handset.
- Via automatic recharge: If you simply don't want to forget to recharge, you can set your account to automatically recharge on expiry through Telstra's 24/7 app or web portal. Bear in mind if you do opt for this feature, it will keep going even if you're not using the service any more until you explicitly tell it not to.
How to contact Telstra
Latest Telstra news
Australian telco giant Telstra has its eyes set on tapping into the billion-dollar gaming scene with Xbox All Access, but is it a case of too much, too late? Read more…
Score points towards a variety of rewards with Telstra's iPhone 11 plans. Read more…
Telstra is running a special deal on the Galaxy S10 5G, most likely to clear stock before the Note10+ and Note10+ 5G arrive. Read more…
For the Samsung Galaxy Note10's launch, Telstra really wants you to give its new high-speed network a shot. Read more…
Telstra has reworked its mobile plans to cut excess data charges, but its actual "unlimited" plan is a casualty. Read more…
Latest mobile plan deals on Finder
After significant testing, these are our picks of the phones to buy
Read why this is one of the best Samsung Galaxy phones yet
Ask an Expert