Telstra is Australia's largest mobile provider, with a variety of contract, prepaid or SIM-only plans to suit practically everybody.
Get the new iPhone XS 64GB + a massive 160GB of data for just $139/month from Telstra deals
Is Telstra right for me?
- What does Telstra offer? Prepaid & SIM-only services, contract phone plans and a wide range of broadband services.
- Product highlights: The size of Telstra's mobile network has long been its major selling point. Additionally, its sheer breadth of offerings are top-notch.
- Watch out for: Telstra's plans generally compare poorly in straight up value terms when measured against other provider's inclusions. Its branding and market position means it can sometimes afford to be less competitive.
Telstra Mobile prepaid & SIM-only plans
Here's how all of Telstra's current prepaid & SIM-only offers and deals compare:
Telstra SIM-only business plansBack to top
Telstra Mobile contract plans
For many Australians, a mobile plan is one that comes with a handset, and Telstra has no shortage of handsets you can pick from. The latest and greatest handsets nearly always land at the carrier as soon as they're available in Australia.
Notably, Telstra has been the carrier of choice for Google and its in-house Pixel phones for the past couple of years, including 2017's Google Pixel 2 and Google Pixel 2 XL. But it's not just an Android house, with Apple's popular iPhone X and iPhone 8 Plus also available.
For comparison, here's Telstra's current plan pricing on the top-end 256GB Apple iPhone X:Back to top
How does Telstra Mobile compare?
Telstra's market positioning is one of being a premium provider, with premium services and pricing to match. That means in a straight line comparison, it's often just a touch more expensive than its direct competitors, Vodafone and Optus, in matters such as contract plans.
Telstra's positioning on this is that additional features such as free streaming of AFL, NRL and Netball, plus access to the Telstra Air network, give its plans additional value above its competitors.
Why should you consider Telstra Mobile?
For many Australians, Telstra represents a trusted and known brand in the mobile space with a premium pedigree for service quality. It has the widest overall footprint of any mobile 4G or 3G provider, and while that's not 100% of the Australian landmass, it's still much larger and wider than its competitors if you do travel to the more remote corners of our country.
Telstra charges a premium price, but it backs that up with a lot of extra features.
Telstra prepaid recharge options
- Online at m.telstra.com: If you've got your prepaid phone to hand, you can access Telstra's web portal at any time with no data cost. From there, you can access your credit balance and recharge via credit/debit card, Visa Checkout, PayPal or CreditMe2U services.
- Online from your desktop: The same interface that you can use at Telstra's mobile portal is also open to you from your computer's web browser, although because it won't be able to detect your mobile automatically, you will have to register for a Telstra ID, or link your Facebook ID with your Telstra account to manage and recharge your prepaid service.
- Via Telstra's 24/7 app: Telstra's mobile app for Android or iOS provides you with an easy way to check your prepaid balance. If you have other Telstra services you can log in with your Telstra ID, but if you're using your mobile device directly and you're not on a Wi-Fi connection, it can detect your SIM and service status, as well as letting you recharge your service. The Telstra 24/7 app is available free of charge for iOS (you can download it here), Android (download here), Windows Phone 8 (download here) or BlackBerry 10 handsets (download here).
- Via Credit Card/PayPal: Telstra supports payments via Visa, Mastercard, Diners Club, American Express or PayPal to recharge mobile services if that's your payment gateway of choice, but you will have to go through Telstra's prepaid payment gateway to avail yourself of the service. You can recharge your own mobile service, or the service of any other Telstra prepaid mobile this way.
- Via voucher: You can opt to purchase recharge vouchers at most supermarkets and other mass-market retailers, which you then apply to your mobile service through the Telstra 24/7 App or mobile web portal.
- By phone: If you'd rather use your phone to recharge, you can access recharge services by dialing 125 888 from your handset.
- Via automatic recharge: If you simply don't want to forget to recharge, you can set your account to automatically recharge on expiry through Telstra's 24/7 app or web portal. Bear in mind if you do opt for this feature, it will keep going even if you're not using the service any more until you explicitly tell it not to.
How to contact Telstra
Latest Telstra news
Telstra customers can score discounts and entertainment bonuses with Telstra's new Telstra Plus customer loyalty scheme. Read more…
If you're looking to grab Huawei's new high-end smartphone on Australia's largest mobile network, Telstra has plenty to offer. Read more…
The major networks are rolling out 5G connectivity across the nation, but when will it actually arrive for you? Read more…
Telstra is boosting the ranks of 5G phones in its portfolio with new devices from LG and Oppo. Read more…
5G, foldables and a whole lot of handsets are waiting to be unveiled at the MWC 2019, the world's biggest mobile show. Read more…
Which is cheaper: buying a Galaxy S10 outright or signing up to a fixed-term contract? We've crunched the numbers to find the answer. Read more…